Can I drive from Phitsanulok to Luang Prubang?

mhortig

We are planning a driving trip to Luang Prubang from our Home in Phitsanulok. We do not want to go via Vientienne if possible. Has any one done this?. I ve checked google maps and they show a route, but no info about border crossings etc.: Take Route 11, Route 1246, Route 1214 and Route 1047 to Route 4 in Kengsao, Laos to Luang Prubang.

Where exactly do you cross the border?. Can a falang cross there? Is a Visa available there? Google shows that there is one place where a ferry must be used, any info? What are the road conditions. Any special documentation required for our car? I would be very appreciative of any first hand information.

"Special documentation for your car?" Yes, the Thai Land Transport Department's vehicle "passport," easy to obtain at your local LTD.

Twp options for travel, I'd think:

-- First, head over to Tha Li in Loei and cross over to Laos there, Visa On Arrival is available. Head north through Khenthao, Paklay, Sayaboury, where you turn right to cross the Mekong at Thadeua-Nan, and head on up to Xieng Nguen and on to LP. Not sure if the bridge is finished yet over the Mekong, but the ferry handles trucks so a car is fine.

-- Alternatively, head north through Nan to the crossing at Houei Khon-Moung Nguen, VOA also available there. Right to Hong Sa, then right again down to Sayaboury, then cross the Mekong and on to LP.

Either route is a one-day trip but there are decent guest houses along the way, especially at Hong Sa and Sayaboury.

Mac

sure why not

have done it from phuket to LP twice now :-)

get the purple passport for ur car ( car needs be in ur name of someones name that is with you)

Make sure u get immigration to stamp the car passport when u leave Thailand and also when u enter laos

make sure u get all paperwork and insurance in Laos

Dont forget to get the purple book stamped out of Laos an back into Thailand

I drive up to Chiang Khong an cross there,

great road from there to Luang Namtha 4 hours

than good road to Udommaxi than a real shit piece of road down to Luang Prabang ( 6 hours)

than back to Ur home via the route described above

Beats back tracking

The ThaLi crossing is a good bet.

The Thai vehicle passport will be needed.

If the vehicle is in someone else's name then make sure you have the proper release from them. (Bai Mop Amnat) and make sure it is properly filled out and has the notary stamps.

If the vehicle is in your name, or the name of another person travelling with you, then you won't need to worry about that.

You will need Lao insurance, you can get that on the Lao side of the border, it is available by the week, month or year. Don't try to get by without out it, you'll pay far more in fines than the insurance costs....the Thai plates will get you checked out at pretty much every checkpoint on the way. (the voice of experience speaking here!)

You can cross at Loei, Chiang Khan Or, Chiang Kong more North over the new bridge.

....make sure that the car passport is stamped for the same duration as you're passport...

My wife and I went for one month to Laos a couple of years ago, had a month Visa on arrival. but when we came back to another border they saw that the car passport was only stamped for 14 days....big trouble, !..almost had to pay overstay for the car....

Lucky my wife had studied law and could talk to the head of the customs , he telephoned to the border were we had got the visas, gave them a bad time on the phone and we could go....turned out that they had swapped our car papers with another....so, the other person already left Laos without been checked....

So check all the paperwork....

Best regards, Off Road Pat

thai cars ONLY get stamped in for 14 days even if ur visa is valid for 30

the car stamp can be renewed in country if u wish to stay longer.

I was told the least insurance is 14 days, for my civic last year it was about 800 baht

plus about 700 baht in misc stamps/fees.

In 3 trips thru laos i have only been stopped once and was fined $20 for speeding.

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR USEFUL CONTRIBUTIONS.

We are now thinking of entering Laos in Loei at Tha Li. Has anybody actualy driven this route from Tha Li to Luang Prubang?

What are the road conditions?

Is it Safe?

In August or September would the rain make any of the road impassable?

I understand you have to cross the Mekhong by ferry. Is this always available, or is there a bridge there yet?

We have heard conflicting stories about driving in Laos. My Thai wife is a very capable, safe driver, but would feel more comfortable with first hand information, before we decide to make the trip. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

We are now thinking of entering Laos in Loei at Tha Li. Has anybody actualy driven this route from Tha Li to Luang Prubang?

Is it Safe?

I understand you have to cross the Mekhong by ferry. Is this always available, or is there a bridge there yet?

We have heard conflicting stories about driving in Laos. My Thai wife is a very capable, safe driver, but would feel more comfortable with first hand information, before we decide to make the trip. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Did the route on a motorcycle a few years ago and the roads were reasonable from Tha Li to Xayaboury and not busy at all and descent guesthouses.....I then took route 4 and the road was good until you reach the ferry and then was pretty rough and dusty with the occasional road works to Xiang Ngeun. At the time they were still building the new bridge where you cross with the ferry so not sure if it has been completed yet.

Is it Safe?

Did the route on a motorcycle a few years ago and the roads were reasonable from Tha Li to Xayaboury and not busy at all and descent guesthouses.....I then took route 4 and the road was good until you reach the ferry and then was pretty rough and dusty with the occasional road works to Xiang Ngeun. At the time they were still building the new bridge where you cross with the ferry so not sure if it has been completed yet.

Here are some photo's of route 4 and ferry crossing.post-132830-0-65202900-1435929293_thumb.post-132830-0-88625900-1435929321_thumb.post-132830-0-42240600-1435929407_thumb.