Options and risks of overstaying

I arrived on 10th June and did not check my passport until very recently. I was given a 30 day tourist visa (I thought one got 90 days). I have a trip planned (a tour with a Thai temple) to north Burma on the 11th July, so I will be 1 day overdue. What are the penalties and are there options other than applying for an extension? Thank you very much for all answers - I know you must be almost sick of answering these perennial questions. Thaibook

I arrived on 10th June and did not check my passport until very recently. I was given a 30 day tourist visa (I thought one got 90 days). I have a trip planned (a tour with a Thai temple) to north Burma on the 11th July, so I will be 1 day overdue. What are the penalties and are there options other than applying for an extension?

June 10th to July 11th is 32 days in country, so you would be fined Bt 1,000 when leaving.

it could cost you a lot more if you would get caught along the way to the border

Or it could be a black mark if Thailand ever starts looking at past over stays in deciding whether or not to admit people or issue new visas. Both possibilities may be very theoretical, but for 900 or 1,400 baht, why take the chance when you have an alternative?
  • Like 1

The op is confused because he says he got a 30 day visa when he probably meant to say he got a 30 day visa exempt entry stamp. I'm always amazed at how many people don't understand that a visa and a entry stamp are totally different. A huge number of problems result from this misunderstanding.

• Like 1

it could cost you a lot more if you would get caught along the way to the border

I agree with this one.... Pay for a 30 day extension or go 2 days earlier to Myanmar (Burma).

Last time i went to Laos we got stopped twice on route by police (not immigration) they checked (all on the bus / van) all passports dates looking for targets to shake down..... A one day can cost as much as 50.000 to avoid being thrown in jail , taken to court and deported from Thailand....

A lot of people here are talking like the overstay does not matter,

And they are right IF you don't get caught, the fine is 500 a day with max 20.000 Baht...... But if you get caught even 100 meters from the border the story can end up as i mentioned above....

TIT

wai2.gif

• Like 1

The op is confused because he says he got a 30 day visa when he probably meant to say he got a 30 day visa exempt entry stamp. I'm always amazed at how many people don't understand that a visa and a entry stamp are totally different. A huge number of problems result from this misunderstanding.

I think that because this is Thailand, nothing is ever easy, visa rules etc, could be made much easier to understand, but that is not the Thai way.

Far too often, if you give them 100 papers, they will ask for 101. Well, I think you know what I mean.

The 30 days sounds like a visa exempt entry, in which case extension is not an option.

Utter crap, a visa exempt entry CAN be extended by 30 days at a cost of 1900 Baht. This has been the case since last year.

I think that because this is Thailand, nothing is ever easy, visa rules etc, could be made much easier to understand, but that is not the Thai way.

Far too often, if you give them 100 papers, they will ask for 101. Well, I think you know what I mean.

How Thailand wishes to run it's Immigration is entirely up to Thailand, they certainly don't have to make it "easy" just because supposed "intelligent adults" can't be bothered to do even the most basic research. I too am amazed at the amount of people living here, who don't really have a clue as to how they legally here, you know the ones............"My multi non O retirement exempt stamp was extended..............." etc. :-)

• Like 1

That may be but im really talking about what others call excempt, as it seems. In my whole 10 years of going to Thailand now, living here, working here and what not, i always been told that i got a "visa-on-arrival" if i didnt make a Tourist-Visa (or something else) beforehand.

German institutions call it visa-on-arrival even its not a visa on arrival. I mean the 30 day intial thing that one gets if he didnt do anything before. Just arriving at Aiport Bkk. And not only german institutions. I think also Thailand itself calls it like this on various signs around the country.

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/visa-on-arrival.php

There seems to be alot of confusion because its the authorities that call it wrong.

Edited by byteHunter

That may be but im really talking about what others call excempt, as it seems. In my whole 10 years of going to Thailand now, living here, working here and what not, i always been told that i got a "visa-on-arrival" if i ddnt make a Tourist-Visa (or something else) beforehand.

German institutions call it visa-on-arrival. I mean the 30 day intial thing that one gets if he didnt do anything before. Just arriving at Aiport Bkk. And not only german institutions. I think also Thailand itself calls it like this on various signs around the country.

There seems to be alot of confusion because its the authorities that call it wrong.

Your reference clearly shows the difference and even in capitals. From the website:

"However, persons who are not eligible to enter Thailand under the VISA ON ARRIVAL and VISA EXEMPTION RULE are advised to obtain visas with the Royal Thai Embassy prior to their visit."

Note Thai website says visa exemption rule!

• Like 1

Yes, i edited my post. Basically thats the point of confusion. Our authorities (at least some) call it visa on arrival even its no visa on arrival. Its a big mess and when people ask in forums noone ever tells what country they are from and other people just answer withouth thinking that the topicmaker maybe not of same origin. And the vague words on websites dont make it much clearer. It took me some time now to figure out that basically there are 3 different "on-arrival" things.

1. poeple of some countries dont need anything to enter, and they dont even get a visa-on-arrival. Nothing, they can enter Thailand for 30 days. And this seems that "exempt" thing.

2. people of some countries dont need to apply before, they can arrive on airport and have to apply for a visa-on-arrival for 30 days.

3. people of some countries dont need to apply before, they can arrive on airport and have to apply for a visa-on-arrival for 15 days.

and then

4. a Tourist-Visa that lets one stay 30 days (... ). This for some reason can be applied to the same person. I can go and get a 30 day tourist visa or i can enter without. I dont know why this is even to choose for a german citizen then if he anyway can enter for 30 days.

5. a TouristVisa that lets one stay 60 to 90 days.

6. all the other visas like Non-O and that.

That may be but im really talking about what others call excempt, as it seems. In my whole 10 years of going to Thailand now, living here, working here and what not, i always been told that i got a "visa-on-arrival" if i didnt make a Tourist-Visa (or something else) beforehand.

German institutions call it visa-on-arrival even its not a visa on arrival. I mean the 30 day intial thing that one gets if he didnt do anything before. Just arriving at Aiport Bkk. And not only german institutions. I think also Thailand itself calls it like this on various signs around the country.

Clever, very clever, you posted a link that proved yourself wrong, well done !

• Like 1

ok, then we just have tell all the thousands of places to change the wording to yours. Because in every country i know its called visa-on-arrival

No actually they do not. The visa exempt stamp is exactly that, there is no visa.

I have been to many countries In the world that issue visa-on-arrival, they all do what it says on the tin and they issue a Visa... then you get stamped in. The visa exempt skips the visa (as the name suggests) and just involves a entry stamp.

In Thailand a visa can NEVER be extended, it's the stay that's extended. Thats exactly why when you apply for an extension the form says "Extension of Stay" and not extension of visa.

Edited by technologybytes
  • Like 1

ok, then we just have tell all the thousands of places to change the wording to yours. Because in every country i know its called visa-on-arrival

such as ???....instead of thousands of places just name 5 thumbsup.gif

Children Children no fighting.

We all know how it should be called and how many people (including officers) are calling it sometimes in practice.

As long we know what somebody means to say i don't really care how we call it.

such as ???....instead of thousands of places just name 5 thumbsup.gif

Here you go, troll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_(document)

Before you quote a link you should try reading it first dear boy cheesy.gif

Visa free = visa waiver

Visa on arrival = a VOA

The following table lists visa policies of all countries by the number of foreign nationalities that may enter that country for tourism without a visa or by obtaining a visa on arrival with normal passport.

On-arrival visa (also known as Visa On Arrival, VOA), granted at a port of entry. This is distinct from not requiring a visa at all, as the visitor must still obtain the visa before they can even try to pass through immigration.

One suspects you don't need an English lesson to show waiver and free mean the same thing in this context

gigglem.gif

so back under your bridge off you go... rolleyes.gif

Edited by Soutpeel