Switzerland prepares to support Thailand's political development

webfact

BANGKOK, 1 July 2015 (NNT) - Swiss ambassador to Thailand Christine Schraner Burgener has made known during a meeting with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-Ocha that the European country supports Thailand’s reform process .

The premier thanked her for her role in strengthening Thai-Swiss bilateral relations for the past 6 years. He also thanked the country for hosting a photo exhibition of His Majesty the King’s stay in Lausanne on May 12 in a bid to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the royal family’s first official visit to Switzerland.

According to Mrs Schraner Burgener, as the ambassador to Thailand, she and her team have witnessed the political development in Thailand, and that Switzerland is prepared to support the ongoing reform process and assist in areas needed.

Relations between the two countries have been concentrated on trade and tourism. In 2011, Switzerland became Thailand's eleventh most important trading partner, making it the most important trading partner in the European bloc.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-01 footer_n.gif

BANGKOK, 1 July 2015 (NNT) - Swiss ambassador to Thailand Christine Schraner Burgener has made known during a meeting with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-Ocha that the European country supports Thailand’s reform process .

The premier thanked her for her role in strengthening Thai-Swiss bilateral relations for the past 6 years. He also thanked the country for hosting a photo exhibition of His Majesty the King’s stay in Lausanne on May 12 in a bid to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the royal family’s first official visit to Switzerland.

According to Mrs Schraner Burgener, as the ambassador to Thailand, she and her team have witnessed the political development in Thailand, and that Switzerland is prepared to support the ongoing reform process and assist in areas needed.

Relations between the two countries have been concentrated on trade and tourism. In 2011, Switzerland became Thailand's eleventh most important trading partner, making it the most important trading partner in the European bloc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe what I am reading above. According to Mrs. Schraner, the second-oldest democracy on this globe, is supporting the current "political-developments" by supporting an unelected "military-junta"? Outrageous !

Knowing very well, that the main goal of the current "government" is only to keep Thailand in the hands of the 50 "important families" that have controlled Thailand for the last 100 years. And all this, while the US and most other "western-countries" are absolutely not supporting the current "political- developments" taking place in Thailand.

If this is only a personal "exploit" from Mrs. Schraner, fine ! Otherwise, if this should represent the latest official orientation concerning Foreign Policy by Switzerland, then I could only ask: Quo Vadis, Switzerland ? All for a fistful of more Dollars (Baht)?

Cheers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe what I am reading above. According to Mrs. Schraner, the second-oldest democracy on this globe, is supporting the current "political-developments" by supporting an unelected "military-junta"? Outrageous !

Knowing very well, that the main goal of the current "government" is only to keep Thailand in the hands of the 50 "important families" that have controlled Thailand for the last 100 years. And all this, while the US and most other "western-countries" are absolutely not supporting the current "political- developments" taking place in Thailand.

If this is only a personal "exploit" from Mrs. Schraner, fine ! Otherwise, if this should represent the latest official orientation concerning Foreign Policy by Switzerland, then I could only ask: Quo Vadis, Switzerland ? All for a fistful of more Dollars (Baht)?

Cheers.

This shows that Switzerland knows, understand and support Thailand in her road to democracy.

Cheers.

Entirely unconnected with the fact that Swiss banks have been up to naughties again to the tune of several billion dollars and a Swiiss whistle blower, Xavier Justo has been detained in Bangkok.

Ah, nice to see realpolitik trump democracy uber alles. In most of the world, a little (lot?) authoritarianism is needed to quell the masses. Just ask Tunisia (and the rest of the Middle East) how they are enjoying their "spring."

Of course, the US practices realpolitik too. Unfortunately, it's the two-faced variety. (I'm not Yank bashing -- I am one, and wouldn't trade my citizenship for anything. However, sometimes the US gets a little too preachy.)

Well done, Swissies. Maybe they'll invite your Vatican guards to next year's Cobra Gold.

This has got to upset the Thaksin Brigade who have been railing against the current government's attempts at reform as distractions keeping Thailand from democracy tyranny of the majority. More than a few governments around the world are pleased that Thailand is getting its house in order and understand that certain elements have to change before democracy can have a chance to grow.

This has got to upset the Thaksin Brigade who have been railing against the current government's attempts at reform as distractions keeping Thailand from democracy tyranny of the majority. More than a few governments around the world are pleased that Thailand is getting its house in order and understand that certain elements have to change before democracy can have a chance to grow.

Hoping that coup makers will deliver an improved form of democracy really proves that some people have been sitting in the Thai sun a little too long.

The Thai army. A beacon of Democratic development. Lol

Cheers.

Entirely unconnected with the fact that Swiss banks have been up to naughties again to the tune of several billion dollars and a Swiiss whistle blower, Xavier Justo has been detained in Bangkok.

Ahhh, the swiss banks once more. Looking for truly sophisticated "Tax-Evaders", try "Delaware". Never mind, has nothing to do with this topic.

Cheers.

Democracy is: 1 man / woman is 1 vote. In 1933 this principle was abandoned in Germany. To "give democracy a chance to grow",or to form a "Volksgemeinschaft" of course. After 6 years it was all over. Some posts suggest, that some sort of "Thai-Volksgemeischaft" (Thainess, if you will), would be desirable to lead Thailand into a bright future ???

Cheers.

Democracy is: 1 man / woman is 1 vote. In 1933 this principle was abandoned in Germany. To "give democracy a chance to grow",or to form a "Volksgemeinschaft" of course. After 6 years it was all over. Some posts suggest, that some sort of "Thai-Volksgemeischaft" (Thainess, if you will), would be desirable to lead Thailand into a bright future ???

Cheers.

I think you just invoked Godwin's Law http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GodwinsLaw

"It is generally accepted that whoever is the first to play the "Hitler card" has lost the argument as well as any trace of respect, as having to resort to comparing your adversary to the most infamous mass-murdering dictator in history generally means you've run out of better arguments."

So, explain to me, Swissie, why the Swiss government is so supportive of the current Thai government. Was the Swiss government just as supportive of the German government in 1933 to which you are comparing to the current Thai government? Are you really insinuating that PM Prayut is emulating the Austrian with the funny mustache?

Edited by rametindallas

Sounds like this female Swiss ambassador is as gullible as the last US female ambassador to Thailand.

Perhaps they both know better than you how corrupt the last government was and how decent the current PM and his staff are. In any case, Ambassadors speak for their counties and not for themselves so really, you are saying that both the US and Switzerland governments are unaware of circumstances, past and present, in Thailand. I find that hard to believe. More likely is you're the one who is uninformed/misinformed/duped.

Christine will be leaving Thailand very soon to become Swiss ambassador in Berlin.

She does not say that she supports the Thai government as it is. She says that she supports the reform process and Prayuth needs support in that for sure, it is very easy to criticise his efforts. He said last week that nothing will change in Thailand, he must go through moments of despair sometimes.

He didn't like the student protesters being arrested but of course he wishes the judicial process to be carried through, he can't just jump in and let the kids go.

We really don't need another election under the present constitution, so stop whining about military dictatorships, as far as I can see things are better than they were last year,

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-admits-he-is-not-comfortable-with-the-arrest-and-detention-of-student-activists

Edited by cooked

Can you name these numerous countries?

Can I? Yes

Will I? No

I would for someone else but not for you. I didn't find my experience interacting with you in the past satisfying. In any case, it is not pertinent to the fact that Switzerland is supporting the good governance and reforms of PM Prayut and his government which is the subject of the OP.

Can I? Yes

Will I? No

I would for someone else but not for you. I didn't find my experience interacting with you in the past satisfying. In any case, it is not pertinent to the fact that Switzerland is supporting the good governance and reforms of PM Prayut and his government which is the subject of the OP.

Well, can you do it for me then??? Please, pretty please!!!

Be very careful about the wording in the first story:

The first part: "the European country supports Thailand's reform process" - could be interpreted as they stand behind the Junta's actions

Whereas the latter part "Switzerland is prepared to support the ongoing reform process and assist in areas needed" - appears more to be a statement of "we want to help where we can".

And it is the latter part that is attributed to the Swiss ambassador.

I seem to remember a few weeks ago an article was posted listing a group of countries that were the new friends of Thailand. It was a short list and comprised of countries that would certainly not be on anyone's "must visit list".

As for calling democracy a "tyranny of the majority" shows a certain scary view of politics in the 21st century. I presume the poster regards "tyranny of the minority" as a much better system. Now that worries me greatly.

Can I? Yes

Will I? No

Well, can you do it for me then???

Sure, I can do it for you... but I won't.

Please, pretty please!!!

You seem a little needy. Don't you have any friends to bother?

I seem to remember a few weeks ago an article was posted listing a group of countries that were the new friends of Thailand. It was a short list and comprised of countries that would certainly not be on anyone's "must visit list".

As for calling democracy a "tyranny of the majority" shows a certain scary view of politics in the 21st century. I presume the poster regards "tyranny of the minority" as a much better system. Now that worries me greatly.

I presume the poster regards "tyranny of the minority" as a much better system.

No, I mean the Thai habit of 'if you have a veto-proof majority in Parliament, you just ram through whatever you want; regardless what the minority feels'. The Yingluck Thaksin 'blanket' Amnesty Bill is an example. Don't be obtuse or try to mis-characterize what I wrote. If you're not sure of my meaning, you can respond directly to my post instead of talking about me to another poster. You're a little bit of a 'sneaky snake' aren't you?

No, I mean the Thai habit of 'if you have a veto-proof majority in Parliament, you just ram through whatever you want; regardless what the minority feels'. The Yingluck Thaksin 'blanket' Amnesty Bill is an example. Don't be obtuse or try to mis-characterize what I wrote. If you're not sure of my meaning, you can respond directly to my post instead of talking about me to another poster. You're a little bit of a 'sneaky snake' aren't you?

You have a way of spinning things that shows you are a very devious person. You take half truths and push them as gospel. In a democracy a bad government can be exposed by the opposition, who then must come up with policies at the next election that win more votes. Idealistic, yes of course. There are many examples of what you state, South Africa and Zimbabwe are just 2, but in these countries violence was used on a scale that makes your red shirt enemies look like a troop of junior boy scouts.

If one party is able to gain such a landslide majority then it means the other parties must have had policies that only appealed to a minority of voters. Please, for Christ's sake, don't say that all the votes were bought. Such an accusation would only be fit from an extreme racist, which I'm sure you are not.

Back on topic, Switzerland kept good banking relations with all sides during both World Wars and has been the favourite banking provider for dictators, fraudsters, tax evaders and other criminals for well over 1 hundred years. Do you think a little problem such as a coup is going to stop them making money ?

Just as an aside, didn't the royal children spend most of WW2 living in Switzerland ? If that is true then maybe the good relations between the 2 countries has a more happy reason to be happening.

Can I? Yes

Will I? No

Please, pretty please!!!

So you say numerous governments are agreeing with what's going on in Thailand and when asked to name them you can't do it, reverting to insulting those who call you on it. You do realize that this makes you a troll (at best)??

Can I? Yes

Will I? No

Please, pretty please!!!

So you say numerous governments are agreeing with what's going on in Thailand and when asked to name them you can't do it, reverting to insulting those who call you on it. You do realize that this makes you a troll (at best)??

As for me being insulting, who did I insult and what was the insult? You just called me a troll (at best).

Just because I don't like you enough to comply with with your request doesn't make me a troll. Sorry to be so direct but I had hoped you could take a hint. Which countries is not pertinent to this thread, anyway.

“Go, Ah say go away, boy, you bother me!” - Foghorn Leghorn http://www.searchquotes.com/quotation/Go,_I_say_go_away_boy,_you_bother_me/367929/

Hey , I would love to visit Russia , but it is kinda expensive. And those pacific islands that stand behind Thailand , sure , love to go ,...while the radiation levels from japan are still bearable and there still above ocean level.

You have a way of spinning things that shows you are a very devious person. You take half truths and push them as gospel. In a democracy a bad government can be exposed by the opposition, who then must come up with policies at the next election that win more votes. Idealistic, yes of course. There are many examples of what you state, South Africa and Zimbabwe are just 2, but in these countries violence was used on a scale that makes your red shirt enemies look like a troop of junior boy scouts.

If one party is able to gain such a landslide majority then it means the other parties must have had policies that only appealed to a minority of voters. Please, for Christ's sake, don't say that all the votes were bought. Such an accusation would only be fit from an extreme racist, which I'm sure you are not.

Back on topic, Switzerland kept good banking relations with all sides during both World Wars and has been the favourite banking provider for dictators, fraudsters, tax evaders and other criminals for well over 1 hundred years. Do you think a little problem such as a coup is going to stop them making money ?

Just as an aside, didn't the royal children spend most of WW2 living in Switzerland ? If that is true then maybe the good relations between the 2 countries has a more happy reason to be happening.

You have a way of spinning things that shows you are a very devious person

Thank you. Has anyone told you that you have a real knack for getting on people's good side. I like you better already for that opening statement.