New traffic laws in effect in Thailand?

Dont see how the red number plate is appropriate as the issue of the normal plate is out of te owners hands. We bought a new car a year ago and it took 3 months before they issued the full plate

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the heads up.

Apparently THE big change that is coming to driving laws is that police will no longer be able to accept money on the roadside.

A friend of a friend who works as a translator for the police said that this is to be approved soon as part of the crackdown on graft. Has anybody been told the same about this?

ABout the image above - the big thing, as always with stuff like this, is enforcement. You can have all the laws you want but if they are not enforced properly they are pretty pointless!

Have I missed something? Where is the bit about overtaking on double lines on a blind bend?

you have missed something. probably not an entirely new experience for you.

5. Take over on the continuous line: 400-1000 THB fine

Edited by HooHaa

9. False plate number : Maximum 2000 THB fine

Really surprised at low fine: ​I've been stopped several times. And the police here never check my registration. It seems like this low fine, plus the rarity of them checking, would encourage many fake plates.

In the states:

"As a second-degree felony, falsifying license plate registration tags is a crime punishable by the same prison time as manslaughter"

Thank you for posting these traffic laws.

Edited by Phaeton

Is that why there is heaps of traffic stops by police near fashion and beyond? Racking it in while they can! There has to be about 5 points a kilometer around fashion at the moment. I have been stopped twice. Looked at my helmet cam and told me to keep right and sent me on my way.

Fines still ridiculously low. Only 1,000bt for jumping red lights! 10.000bt + a driving ban would be more appropriate!

And why "maximum" fines. It should be a standard fine applicable to all.

Ridiculous. How can Thais pay 10000 baht for going through a red light? Or you suggesting this just for farangs? I see you like a totalitarian style govt.

Nothing new here, except for drunk driving which was changed a few months ago.

Probably a crackdown coming?

+1

Just another desperate attempt to remind Thais of the rules they should have learned/tested for the DL.

(I am currently wading through traffic laws etc. to prepare for a theory test, so much to laugh about compared to the reality on the roads)

I found a few comparable points in this age old list of taffic fines (2 pages):

List of traffic fines (in Thai language)

The traffic law as such also contains fines (unchanged for ages).

Laughable to the Ferrari driver (less than the price of his cocktail at the Bangkok rooftop).

10000 Baht for red plates:

From the list that I linked: "driving an unregistered car" : 10000 Baht.

Guess there is a rule, that the red plate is valid for 30 days only?

So after that you are technically driving an unregistered car?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Fines still ridiculously low. Only 1,000bt for jumping red lights! 10.000bt + a driving ban would be more appropriate!

And why "maximum" fines. It should be a standard fine applicable to all.

Ridiculous. How can Thais pay 10000 baht for going through a red light? Or you suggesting this just for farangs? I see you like a totalitarian style govt.

Disagree.

Much better (as considered in Western states): fines dependent on income (setting a range), making red light jump a criminal offence not just a "misdemeanor" (if that is the right English word). At least for cases where others are endangered.

10000 Baht is still a laughter for some.

1000 Baht: lets assume 30000 Baht as an income of an official/teacher or the like.

Thats 3.3 percent of the monthly income for a major traffice offence.

Please do the comparison with your home country,

Edited by KhunBENQ

The bib will be getting this tariff laminated, to confirm the prices, (as they did with the cigarette butt litter saga on Sukhumvit road a few years ago)

It's also good to see that they have Thai/ farang prices

Dont see how the red number plate is appropriate as the issue of the normal plate is out of te owners hands. We bought a new car a year ago and it took 3 months before they issued the full plate

A common practice unfortunately.

Someone's a.. has to be kicked.

There is "magic" behind, why the dealers stretch the time.

A car can be registered in a day.

Its not the fault of the DLT.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Looks like one of the more serious offences is having a red number plate for more than a month.

Ever wondered why it takes so long to get the proper number plates on a new car/ motorcycle ??

The reason is simple, the dealer does not get the paperwork required from the manufacturer for registration till the dealer pays for the car, that can be up to 90 days after you buy the car, even if you pay cash.... so that's why it takes so long, Once the dealer has the papers from the manufacturer they can register the same day. IF the dealer doesn't pay for the car, you don't get the number plates.. don't laugh, it happens too often.

So, its unlikely that any new car will ever be registered in less than 30 days, which makes the law on red plates a joke.

Edited by technologybytes

None of these are new laws. They've all been in effect for quite some time.

Maybe, though, they're going to do another "crackdown" where they actually enforce these laws for a week or two... kind of like they did last year around this time, before going right back to ignoring them.

The reason is simple, the dealer does not get the paperwork required from the manufacturer for registration till the dealer pays for the car, that can be up to 90 days after you buy the car, even if you pay cash.... so that's why it takes so long,

Maybe simply making some interest with YOUR money?

Kick them!

I bought a car 14 months ago and I'm still on red plates. Fed up asking for them to be changed.

I bought a car 14 months ago and I'm still on red plates. Fed up asking for them to be changed.

Your dealer is the problem. Go to the police if you really want the white plates.

Is that why there is heaps of traffic stops by police near fashion and beyond? Racking it in while they can! There has to be about 5 points a kilometer around fashion at the moment. I have been stopped twice. Looked at my helmet cam and told me to keep right and sent me on my way.

I'm going to install a fake helmet cam.

I'm going to install a fake helmet cam.

Get one of these!

Helmet-Cam-Award-2012.jpg

Up here in Loei, the BIB have been using their traffic violation books for a number of months now. I haven't seen any of the BIB without books at any of the check points that they set up. Also, more senior officers are out and about and manning the check points. They however, still persist in the stupidity of fining cyclists without helmets and then allowing them to ride off into the sunset.

I cannot comment on others as I am not aware of what the fines are being issued for. Even though I notice many of here do not approve of the Junta, I can tell you that since they came into being, the times, they are a changing up here. And for the better. The only added bit could be more Highway Police Patrols and for them to do their bloody job, that is traffic control, catches the speedsters, those idiots who drive on the wrong side of the road, DUI and drugs, then maybe we can have safer roads.

One last whinge, teach those uneducated drivers the road rules, I cannot believe how many either don't know or just plainly, don't give a stuff. If they cannot or will not learn, just keep fining them, they will get the message eventually. No use taking whatever license they have, off them, they will just keep driving anyway. If the BIB got serious, then maybe they would start to earn some respect.

Up here in Loei, the BIB have been using their traffic violation books for a number of months now. I haven't seen any of the BIB without books at any of the check points that they set up. Also, more senior officers are out and about and manning the check points. They however, still persist in the stupidity of fining cyclists without helmets and then allowing them to ride off into the sunset.

I cannot comment on others as I am not aware of what the fines are being issued for. Even though I notice many of here do not approve of the Junta, I can tell you that since they came into being, the times, they are a changing up here. And for the better. The only added bit could be more Highway Police Patrols and for them to do their bloody job, that is traffic control, catches the speedsters, those idiots who drive on the wrong side of the road, DUI and drugs, then maybe we can have safer roads.

One last whinge, teach those uneducated drivers the road rules, I cannot believe how many either don't know or just plainly, don't give a stuff. If they cannot or will not learn, just keep fining them, they will get the message eventually. No use taking whatever license they have, off them, they will just keep driving anyway. If the BIB got serious, then maybe they would start to earn some respect.

I paid a parking fine recently - all done in the book....after I paid the officer ripped out the page and stuck it in his top pocket............I don't think a "book" is evidence of straight practice....books can get lost...etc

I paid a parking fine recently - all done in the book....after I paid the officer ripped out the page and stuck it in his top pocket............I don't think a "book" is evidence of straight practice....books can get lost...etc

Not a very bright BIB, ripping out numbered pages. You don't think they are accountable for issued books that have numbered pages. I don't think the hierarchy here are that dumb and would not hold those officers accountable for what has been issued. You might not think but I believe that something has to start somewhere. Maybe I should have added that once the ticket is written, it is handed to the offender, who then takes it to a nearby desk, which is manned by a clerk and senior officer, and upon payment of the fine, a receipt is issued.

It is not all doom and gloom, I think many are trying to stop the rot but whenever they do, many criticise or come up with scenarios to suggest that corruption is never ending. Books can get lost, officers tear out pages, why not burn them, shred them or whatever else one can dream up might occur to enable them to collect tea money. How would you suggest fines be collected and attempts to stamp out corruption be introduced. Or must we continue with this never ending conspiracy theory?

"New traffic laws", just had a good laugh when stumbling upon two TV threads from 2010 and 2013.

New Laws For Red Plates Introduced from 2010

Red licence plate restrictions from 2013

You can guess what is written there about carrying red plates for more than 30 days cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ

Not a very bright BIB, ripping out numbered pages. You don't think they are accountable for issued books that have numbered pages. I don't think the hierarchy here are that dumb and would not hold those officers accountable for what has been issued. You might not think but I believe that something has to start somewhere. Maybe I should have added that once the ticket is written, it is handed to the offender, who then takes it to a nearby desk, which is manned by a clerk and senior officer, and upon payment of the fine, a receipt is issued.

It is not all doom and gloom, I think many are trying to stop the rot but whenever they do, many criticise or come up with scenarios to suggest that corruption is never ending. Books can get lost, officers tear out pages, why not burn them, shred them or whatever else one can dream up might occur to enable them to collect tea money. How would you suggest fines be collected and attempts to stamp out corruption be introduced. Or must we continue with this never ending conspiracy theory?

You see this is a typical farang thing - you assume that a "numbered book" is infallible - What I find amazing even after living here since 1994 is that foreigners still underestimate the extent and depth of corruption in Thailand.....if paperwork or books go missing it is simply not a problem....really.....

as for stopping the rot........again I think that foreigners simply underestimate the size of the task, een in the simplest of circumstances......

there is no conspiracy theory in my assessment - I work in government departments

6. Driving wrong direction: Maximum 500 THB fine

This one ALONE would tie up cops 24/7 ...IF it was enforced.

Give it up Thailand ...you're a joke.

sad.png

If you're seeing most of the traffic driving in the wrong direction it means you're the one facing the wrong way, in Thailand we drive on the left.

You see this is a typical farang thing - you assume that a "numbered book" is infallible - What I find amazing even after living here since 1994 is that foreigners still underestimate the extent and depth of corruption in Thailand.....if paperwork or books go missing it is simply not a problem....really.....

as for stopping the rot........again I think that foreigners simply underestimate the size of the task, een in the simplest of circumstances......

there is no conspiracy theory in my assessment - I work in government departments

Not a typical farang thing at all, at least not from me, and no, I do not think numbered books are infallible. I asked a question, about accountability, then made a statement about the hierarchy holding the persons to whom they were issued, accountable, nothing said about assuming that numbered books are infallible. That is your assumption of me, not I of them. If someone wants something bad enough, then they will always find a way to beat the system. For instance, the example you provided.

I have no idea what occurs in other parts of Thailand, I was only referring to the area where I live. I see something in my area, which appears quite different from where you are, so maybe things are starting to move on for the better, albeit slowly. You do a lot of assuming; that farangs underestimate the amount of corruption within this country. Anyone that keeps up with the ebbs and flow of news, has dealings with Thais and is married to Thai, would be aware of the extent of corruption and are not as naïve as you suggest. Corruption is endemic world wide, not just confined to Thailand.

I also highlighted how when someone, in my area, is issued a ticket at a checkpoint, the offender is required to go away from the issuing officer, with the ticket, pay the fine to a clerk, who is being supervised by a senior officer, and is issued a receipt. So two numbered documents that would have to be disposed of, thus giving rise to the conspiracy theory. Just think of the numbered of people that would need to be involved in this instance. I hope you don't really think all farangs fit the generalisation you proffer, we're not all uneducated fools and would never underestimate the extent of corruption, amongst a population of 68 million and in a country that is renowned for it.

What is the importance of you working in a government department to what we are discussing. My wife is also a government employee but I didn't mention it as there is no relevance, unless you see other workers in the depart acting corruptly.