Camronwit faces detention for another 10 days

webfact

Camronwit faces detention for another 10 days
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former Metropolitan Police chief Camronwit Toopkrajank is likely to be held in custody for another 10 days, a source in the Japanese police revealed yesterday.

Since the first detention period expires today and the public prosecutor has yet to make a decision on the case, police would have to seek court permission to detain Camronwit for another 10 days. The public prosecutor is set to make a decision on Camronwit's indictment on July 13.

The former top cop was arrested at Tokyo’s Narita International Airport for trying to board a flight to Bangkok with a gun in his possession.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Camronwit-faces-detention-for-another-10-days-30263662.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-03

If I were him, I'd consider learning Japanese... what is for sure though, he will NEVER AGAIN

carry a gun on him when traveling overseas....

Are you suggesting that he will actually "learn" something from his experience, he has nothing to learn. It is the Japanese who need to be educated, as they clearly do not understand the phrase "Do you know who I am?" :-)

If I were him, I'd consider learning Japanese... what is for sure though, he will NEVER AGAIN

Are you suggesting that he will actually "learn" something from his experience, he has nothing to learn. It is the Japanese who need to be educated, as they clearly do not understand the phrase "Do you know who I am?" :-)

I wonder if he's coming to terms, or will be capable of doing so, with the fact his VIP status here means nothing overseas.

If he was ' assisted ' through security at Swampy he should be thinking how all that face he was given has backfired big time, up to 10 years worth perhaps. biggrin.png

Edited by NongKhaiKid

Will this not put him on the sorry not able to fly list for a lot of countries if he is charged. No matter what i think Japan is now off his list of tourist destinations t meet big brother.

Good point but all he needs to do is officially change his name and apply for a new passport in that name providing officialdom allows it.

I know someone who was deported from LoS for running a company without the appropriate documentation so in Britain he change his name by deed poll, obtained a passport in that name, came back.and put the company on a legal footing.

It might be more productive for the Thai and Japanese governments to have him explain how he got the gun through airport security in exchange for a warning, maybe even a 1 year ban from entering Japan. Of course his explanation would have to be verifiable, ie., names of any accomplices.

Convicting him without such information will just invite a repeat of the same offense by another Thai traveler.

It might be more productive for the Thai and Japanese governments to have him explain how he got the gun through airport security in exchange for a warning, maybe even a 1 year ban from entering Japan. Of course his explanation would have to be verifiable, ie., names of any accomplices.

Convicting him without such information will just invite a repeat of the same offense by another Thai traveler.

How sad. A known Shin apologist and PTP fan suggesting a known Shin lackey and PTP member be given special treatment and more or less let off for a serious offence.

Why is that somehow not surprising - although sad?

Detain him for another 10 days how surprising. If any one else entered a airport with a gun and ammunition we would have a 3 to 10 year prison sentence. X Cop

should not even be considered!

He entered the airport with a gun and ammunition. No warning for a possible terrorist. Being a x Thai policeman in any other country would work against him. What do you want them to do transfer him to another country!

What a wonderful salutary lesson in the process of inquiry and justice where cash nor position does not buy off the possible charges and sentence.

Hmm with a 10 day extension maybe some back room negotiations are taking place. The case looks pretty cut and dried to me what is the need for an extension. Maybe both countries are looking for a way out to save face?

I doubt he will ever travel overseas again after this experience.

Will this not put him on the sorry not able to fly list for a lot of countries if he is charged. No matter what i think Japan is now off his list of tourist destinations t meet big brother.

Good point but all he needs to do is officially change his name and apply for a new passport in that name providing officialdom allows it.

I know someone who was deported from LoS for running a company without the appropriate documentation so in Britain he change his name by deed poll, obtained a passport in that name, came back.and put the company on a legal footing.

Having worked in UK law, it is my understanding that you must register your former/birth name when applying for a new passport, along with Certificate of Deed of Change of Name.

However, there's nothing to stop you from using a good forged one, except knowing the right people ..

I doubt he will ever travel overseas again after this experience.

With any luck he will be too old and decrepit to even consider travel abroad after his eventual release.

Why wait to make a decision,,,He was caught with the gun right?,,, prosecute him and put him away for a few years,,That will teach him a lesson that he cant do what he want and that he is not untouchable and beyond the Law !

What a wonderful salutary lesson in the process of inquiry and justice where cash nor position does not buy off the possible charges and sentence.

Hmm with a 10 day extension maybe some back room negotiations are taking place. The case looks pretty cut and dried to me what is the need for an extension. Maybe both countries are looking for a way out to save face?

I think they announced the date they will formally press charges already earlier, so methinks standard practise, as by law you're not supposed to detain people without indictment indefinitely. They have the date announced, and are investigating the issue further - perhaps for additional charges.

I doubt he did, they need him to tell who gave him the gun in Japan and who he was tacking it to in Thailand, that's why the will not let anyone see him other than his lawyer and a embassy/consulate official, so no one can feed him a story.

Yes unfortunately that thought crossed my mind, I would be very disappointed this guy does not get a stiff sentence.

Possibly the Japanese authorities, besieged by requests from Kamronwit's backers, are giving those backers time to come-to-grips with the reality that Japan cannot be seen as weak on international air travel safety and the other reality that, no matter how sympathetic the Japanese authorities may be, Kamronwit, himself, is responsible for his being in deep poo.

Possibly the Japanese authorities, besieged by requests from Kamronwit's backers, are giving those backers time to come-to-grips with the reality that Japan cannot be seen as weak on international air travel safety and the other reality that, no matter how sympathetic the Japanese authorities may be, Kamronwit, himself, is responsible for his being in deep poo.

I think you may missunderstand the Japanese police and prosecution system.

If they had been worried about international reaction they would not have arrested the former Toyota head of PR who is a US citizen.

A former Bangkok police chief is no big deal.

Their guns laws are almost cast in stone.

If he was going to get treated lightly he would be out by now.

I think you may missunderstand the Japanese police and prosecution system.

If they had been worried about international reaction they would not have arrested the former Toyota head of PR who is a US citizen.

A former Bangkok police chief is no big deal.

Their guns laws are almost cast in stone.

If he was going to get treated lightly he would be out by now.

I think you may be misunderstanding my post. I guess I wasn't clear enough. The Japanese know they must strictly enforce the law and I believe, without a doubt, that they will. If they don't prosecute to the full extent of the law, they will be seen by the international community as weak on international air travel safety.

IF there are 'powerful forces' at work trying to pressure the Japanese into going light, the delay in prosecution, heretofore unexplained for what seems like an open and shut case, may be to help save face/embarrassment at having to tell those 'powerful forces', "no". You know how Asians hate to give a direct 'no'. They may be threatened with lost business opportunities, etc. and so don't want to seem too eager to prosecute the friend of these 'powerful forces'. For all I know, Lord Valdemort na Dubai, himself, may be lobbying for a light penalty for his former, loyal lackey. Even the Japanese don't want to give a too quick 'no' to such a man. I only suggested they are saying 'no' by Kamronwit's non-release and the delays are meant to prevent bad blood with the 'powerful forces' that are trying to help Kamronwit. This pressure/delay may explain why, if it were you or I, the Japanese haven't already brought justice down on Kamronwit like a ton of bricks.

I guess the reason we are all so interested in his plight is because he was a two faced nasty piece of work who got to the top of his game by wooing the right people while at the same time showing no mercy to others.

I suspect he has blood on his hands.