Red Horse and Chang "Classic"

Looks like Red Horse beer must be getting more popular now that Chang have dropped the alcohol content from 6.4% to 5.8% and increased their prices. I stopped buying the so called (Not so) "Classic" beer a few weeks ago and started buying Red Horse - 6% ABV, 640ml instead of 630ml for Chang. 75 bottles later and Tesco have now upped the price from 47Baht to 50 Baht!

Anyone else changed over to this beer? It isn't bad even at 50 Baht.

You might as well start a thread titled "Bat Urine vs. Wolf Urine".

Well there is a reason why one is named Horse and the other Chang (=Elephant).

Other brands Tiger, Leo, Singha (is also some Lion or so cat?).

Only for some reason they call it beer and not urine.

Go for 'lao kao' good and cheap and good kick...

Have to agree there it certainly is cheap (20 Baht here gets you about 350ml), however, sadly my pancreas disagrees and it ends up with 4 days in hospital with a tube up my nose sucking crap out of my stomach and a 30K Baht bill! So it is a bit of an expense really.

So many references to urine when it comes to Thai beer.... Not sure where you are from but if you ever had to suffer the filth they served up in some of the bars in the UK, you truly would know what urine tastes like - Mc Ewans Lager, Stones "Best" Bitter, Dryboro's Scotch, Carling Black Label, Fosters, Carlsberg....the list goes on! (and I bet it is about 3 quid a pint these days)

Edited by Vogele123

I would say one thing about Red Horse, it is an "Angry" Alcohol if you understand what I mean, not a happy sleepy drink, you "Do not go gentle into that good night", you will always find that after a few bottles it becomes a fuel for antagonism.

Up here the wife is always whining about the rain, as an example the next village from us had a downpour we had not a drop. They seem offended when one village has some rain and theirs doesn't. "Why no rain here???"

So the usual response from me (which I have no scientific retort) is "Well Bhudda just hates you and your family" spot in a bit of Christianity about "Not buying your God etc." and it really works a treat.

You can then back it up with statements about how they kicked the dog, wasted some food, cut a tree, gave money to a corrupt monk (If they exist)

Amazing how a few beers can shut them up! They then tend to sulk for a couple of days so sex is off the menu, but now and again just the sport of riling them up is worth the celibacy!

I have to admit, Chang did the same when it was 6.4%, but since it has reduced the alcohol, it just makes me sleepy!

Edited by Vogele123

So many references to urine when it comes to Thai beer.... Not sure where you are from but if you ever had to suffer the filth they served up in some of the bars in the UK, you truly would know what urine tastes like - Mc Ewans Lager, Stones "Best" Bitter, Dryboro's Scotch, Carling Black Label, Fosters, Carlsberg....the list goes on! (and I bet it is about 3 quid a pint these days)

At the time you probably didn't know any better and it has changed a lot since those days - most places have had much better selections for decades.............

I would say one thing about Red Horse, it is an "Angry" Alcohol if you understand what I mean, not a happy sleepy drink, you "Do not go gentle into that good night", you will always find that after a few bottles it becomes a fuel for antagonism.

Up here the wife is always whining about the rain, as an example the next village from us had a downpour we had not a drop. They seem offended when one village has some rain and theirs doesn't. "Why no rain here???"

So the usual response from me (which I have no scientific retort) is "Well Bhudda just hates you and your family" spot in a bit of Christianity about "Not buying your God etc." and it really works a treat.

You can then back it up with statements about how they kicked the dog, wasted some food, cut a tree, gave money to a corrupt monk (If they exist)

Amazing how a few beers can shut them up! They then tend to sulk for a couple of days so sex is off the menu, but now and again just the sport of riling them up is worth the celibacy!

I have to admit, Chang did the same when it was 6.4%, but since it has reduced the alcohol, it just makes me sleepy!

I guess it is Friday night and you are probably half pissed sleepy and bored witless............smile.png

I've 'enjoyed' the Thai horse for years now, after developing a taste for it. When I originally settled in Thailand and my wife opened her store, she stocked the usual varieties and I found they all left a lot to be desired. Given they all tasted suspect - I opted for the beer that had the least detrimental effect on her bottom line and since I don't really drink to get drunk, so have never paid attention to the milligrams of alcohol ingested per session.... If in a party mood, another bottle is usually a few short steps or friendly request away.

As I stated in similar topic a couple of months ago - our neigbours can't stand being seen with cheap beer in their hand so we don't end up with the party crowd hanging around too long and the shop stays profitable.

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion Red Horse is severely underrated in Thailand. For the price and value it beats any beer in Thailand. It is better, stronger and cheaper than Leo, even if Leo is the choice of many people at the moment. Red Horse never lets me disappointed when I have the chance to purchase it.

Edited by Thunder26

I like beer a lot, and lots of them and can relatewai2.gif - but I quit drinking Leo, Heinekin and Tiger beer - then lost 25 pounds over 3 years. My blood pressure went down from 140 over 85 to 110 over 60, largely due to stopping the binge drinking of nice cold beer in Thailand starting at about 5 pm on another classic hot day, and in the end I tapered down from 10 to 8 to 6 to 4 to 3 ice-cold per session. In the end I liked Tiger beer best Buster.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it friends.

For me, the pluses of drinking that ice cold beer (I used to put it in the freezer) stopped outweighing the minuses by a country mile, so I switched to water, and the odd glass of juice and soda watercheesy.gif

Signed,

Try moderation and you'll smile in the morning, so will your peckercheesy.gif