Two dead in Phuket worker's truck crash

webfact

Two dead in Phuket worker's truck crash
Eakkapop Thongtub

1435895641_1-org.jpg
The truck rolled 100 metres down a hill before coming to rest in a canal.

PHUKET: Two Burmese men died, seven were hospitalised and 26 injured when the six-wheeler truck they were travelling in crashed on Nakalay Hill in Kamala late last night (July 2).

At 11:30pm, Kamala police were called to the scene of an accident where a truck had crashed on the Nayak bend at the top of Nakalay Hill. One man awas reported to have been killed and many injured.

Police arrived at the scene with rescue workers to find a six-wheeler truck had crashed into a canal with many people still lying injured close to the truck.

The truck had rolled 100 metres down a hill before smashing into an electricity pylon and coming to rest in the canal. All the passengers were thrown from the truck in the process police were told.

Two men died as a result of the accident with another seven people suffering severe injuries including broken legs and broken ribs. They were immediately taken to hospital for emergency treatment.

A further 26 people suffered minor injuries and were treated at the scene before being allowed home.

One of the dead, named only as Mu suffered head injuries and a broken neck. The second, named only as Nang, had suffered broken ribs and head injuries and died later a Patong hospital.

The six-wheeler truck, driven by Bang Paiwan, was transporting 40 Burmese workers employed by World Construction from a hotel construction site in Tritrang beach Patong back to their camp in Kamala.

Mr Bang told police that at around 10pm he picked up workers from the construction site and was taking them back to their camp.

“When we got close to the top of Nakalay Hill the road became more steep and curvy, the truck lost power and stopped. It then started to roll backwards down the hill and I was not able to control it.

“I stepped on the brake but it did not stop, instead it kept on rolling and got faster before it crashed into the pylon and the canal,” said Mr Bang.

Lt Col Somneig Damkham from Kamala police said that Mr Bang is likely to be charged with reckless driving causing death and injury to others once all the information is gathered and witnesses questioned.

“We want to know what caused the accident. Did the driver drive too fast or recklessly, or was the truck carrying a heavier load than maximum allowed. Mr Bang could face more charges if we find he was more to blame.

“In the past we have seen many tour buses and trucks roll and slide when they miss this bend causing death and injuries to foreign workers and tourists. This type of accident is preventable so drivers should be careful, follow the law and drive slower, especially as it is now monsoon season,” said Lt Col Somneig.

This is not the first accident this year where Burmese have been injured after being throwen from the trck they were travelling in. In April six Burmese were injured when the pick-up truck they were travelling in crashed into a roadside restaurant near the turnoff to Cape Yamu on the Pa Khlok road.

The driver of thet vehicle, Krisada Kanta, 36, from Chiang Mai admitted to driving too fast before losing control of the vehicle.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-dead-in-phuket-worker-truck-crash-53031.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-03

I get fined THB 500 for riding the bike without a helmet or without buckling up in Patong. OK.

They overload trucks with dozens of workers, standing on the platform of a truck, without a chance if the drivers needs to make an emergency brake.

And they get away with it, every day.

I get fined THB 500 for riding the bike without a helmet or without buckling up in Patong. OK.

They overload trucks with dozens of workers, standing on the platform of a truck, without a chance if the drivers needs to make an emergency brake.

This old cliche again - this is Thailand and you are not Thai.

This old cliche again - this is Thailand and you are not Thai.
Also thesis get fined.

"Did the driver drive too fast or recklessly," .... this seems a totally irrelevant question. The truck, as reported, had already ground to a halt and started rolling backwards and, according to the driver, could not be stopped because the brakes didn't work. If this statement is true, how can the driver be charged with reckless driving causing death and injury to others? I guess because TIT, some poor sod has to be held accountable and it's probably beyond comprehension that the accountability just may lie with the truck owner for not maintaining the truck in a roadworthy condition.

"Did the driver drive too fast or recklessly," .... this seems a totally irrelevant question. The truck, as reported, had already ground to a halt and started rolling backwards and, according to the driver, could not be stopped because the brakes didn't work. If this statement is true, how can the driver be charged with reckless driving causing death and injury to others? I guess because TIT, some poor sod has to be held accountable and it's probably beyond comprehension that the accountability just may lie with the truck owner for not maintaining the truck in a roadworthy condition.

There are quite a few accidents caused around the hills here in Phuket because of extremely poor driving.

I have seen many vehicles, including everyday pickups, roll backwards when going up hills because the driver simply does not know when to change down gears and how to do it effectively thereby keeping his forward momentum.

They come to a full stop on a hill and have absolutely no idea how to execute a "hill start", thereby rolling backwards. Unfortunately I have been behind a few of these when this has happened and it really does scare the sh1t out of you.

Poor driving, poor training, poor skills and quite probably a poorly maintained vehicle is a deadly mix.

No, that's not what he said. He said he could not stop it.

Just drove past this spot. 25 meters further down the hill is a concrete truck that appears to have been heading downhill (south) and missed the corner. Now laying upside down at the bottom of bank after crashing through the barrier.

Edited by Shot

“I stepped on the brake but it did not stop, instead it kept on rolling and got faster" ...... so if someone steps on the brake and the vehicle keeps rolling and gets faster, IMO, it's a fair assumption the brakes didn't work! coffee1.gif

“I stepped on the brake but it did not stop, instead it kept on rolling and got faster" ...... so if someone steps on the brake and the vehicle keeps rolling and gets faster, IMO, it's a fair assumption the brakes didn't work! coffee1.gif

As you said, an assumption, but I agree a fair assumption. I missed the part where he said he stepped on the brake.

obviously in neutral, why didnt he double clutch it into first or even 2nd gear before he started to roll & use the hand brake , probably metal to metal pads and an idiot that doesnt know how to use gear but then that describes most thai truck/busses & drivers