Learning Thai Visa - Minimum Hours per Week?

What is the official minimum amount of hours per week required for getting the ED-visa for studying Thai?

I googled this and all I found was different minimum requirements of different schools for getting the visa, but not the official minimum requirement.

I'm genuinely interested in learning Thai, but will be also quite busy as I'll be studying a distance learning masters while also doing a remote part time job. So far what I've seen is schools offering the visa when you study 10 hours per week with group study, but if homework is needed on top of the lessons, I feel that there is no way I can fit it all in.

Thanks.

"Schools" do not offer or provide visas.

A school will however provide the documentation needed to support a personal application , made at a Thai Embassy/Consulate for visa.

Be aware that within the region only single entry 90 day ED visa can be obtained

So far what I've seen is schools offering the visa when you study 10 hours per week with group study, but if homework is needed on top of the lessons, I feel that there is no way I can fit it all in.

Homework is up to you. Unless your school is exceptionally good you will find that progress is very slow as new people continuously joins and leave the course. You only need to be proficient enough to pass casual testing that immigration may or may not submit you to.

I went through the Thai Education and online Masters Plus working . You will be busy need time priority. The education, They will do a lot of speaking and reading in thai during class, Homework is nothing like a degree , its just reading over and practising what you do in class, very low stress stuff. Your Masters they say 15 hours a week , i generally crammed prior to exam . Just have to be on it everyday.

New people come and go, so teachers generally favor the ones that can speak more. no matter your level. Its a private business they do help you a lot and clearly explain your rights before signing up , I enjoyed it as its the 4th language i speak and highly recommend it . Although i finished studying the language now , the positive externality here is the customs see my ED Visa (outdated) and seam very happy and keen to pass me through.

Keep calm and pay.

You don't need to study Thai at all nowadays.

In BKK you just need to pay 5K every 3 months (on top of your course cost) and no questions will be asked.

Ummmmm nope. Those days are done. Only lasted a few months.

Kind of glad must say. Cuz these visa scammers that lie and just use ed visa to stay here make it harder for all the honest people that attend class and try to learn and genuinely want to learn thai.

How hard is it to go to school for a few hours a couple days a week? <deleted>

No you are wrong. There are multiple credible reports that "someone" took what was to be a crack down as a shook down. The foreigner who pays up has no problems.

Now who are the criminals ?

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Keep calm and pay.

You don't need to study Thai at all nowadays.

In BKK you just need to pay 5K every 3 months (on top of your course cost) and no questions will be asked.

Ummmmm nope. Those days are done. Only lasted a few months.

Kind of glad must say. Cuz these visa scammers that lie and just use ed visa to stay here make it harder for all the honest people that attend class and try to learn and genuinely want to learn thai.

How hard is it to go to school for a few hours a couple days a week? <deleted>

When was the last time you did an ED Visa extension?

Me; 2 weeks ago

You?

Edited by Kitsune

When was the last time you guys did an ED Visa extension?

Me; 2 weeks ago

You?

Not sure you who are you talking to, but you aren't the only witness. Others have reported the same.

Thanks for the replies.

A school will however provide the documentation needed to support a personal application , made at a Thai Embassy/Consulate for visa.

Be aware that within the region only single entry 90 day ED visa can be obtained

Yeah I meant the documentation. 'Within the region' do you mean that you can only get a 90 day ED visa from the neighbouring countries? So if I'm planning a 1-year visa I better get it before I arrive from Europe?

Yeah I meant the documentation. 'Within the region' do you mean that you can only get a 90 day ED visa from the neighbouring countries? So if I'm planning a 1-year visa I better get it before I arrive from Europe?

Correct, check your Thai consulate requirements for multi entry non-imm ED visa. That requires leaving country every 90 days.

Thanks for the replies.

Indeed

If you are anywhere near a consulate that delivers MULTIPLE (magic word) ED visa, RUN FOR IT!

Otherwise you will be subjected to the same BS as the rest of us

Thanks for the replies.

If you get a single entry non-ed you can then get 90 day extension of the 90 day entry it will allow that will give you total stay of about a one year.

You might be able to get a multiple entry non-ed visa that would give unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You would have to leave the country every 90 days to get a new entry.

Correct, check your Thai consulate requirements for multi entry non-imm ED visa. That requires leaving country every 90 days.

No it does not.

You have the choice.

You can either go to though CW bribe system, or exit the country.

Yes I do realize it's not a real choice lol.

When was the last time you guys did an ED Visa extension?

Me; 2 weeks ago

You?

Not sure you who are you talking to, but you aren't the only witness. Others have reported the same.

Yes I included your response by mistake

You are right, he's wrong

Sorry about the confusion

I edited it

Sorry about the confusion

I edited it

No problem. What they do is just shameful.

Could not agree more.

But also it's very clever to take the excuse of so-called "cracking on scamers/illegal workers".

It divides us, it creates an atmosphere of distrust between Farangs; We argue, we call each others scamers, fight forever about who is a real tourist/student/etc and who should leave the country,because tey don't pay taxes, etc, while they just sit and watch probably laugh and take the money and no ones question them.

• Like 1