Retirement Visa Extension-- How to change from "Single" to "Married" Status?

My annual "retirement visa" extension is coming up soon, and this will be the first time i will be applying for the extension while married to a Thai citizen. Previously, i applied by myself, and showed Immigration the 800K deposited in BKK Bank to qualify for the extension. This year, i will show them only 400K in the bank, as required by someone who is married to a Thai citizen. But i do not know the rules required by Immigration to verify my marriage status at the time of extending my "retirement visa."

Of course i have the marriage paper from the Amphur. What other documents do i need to prove my marital status? Do i need to physically bring the wife for her to sign something at Immigration? Or can i go alone and just bring a copy of her ID card for Immigration? I would like to hear from folks who have gone from being single to married and applied for their one year extensions with this changed status (and the lower amount of bank savings required to show Immigration). Thanks for your help!

Edited by NavaJauvana

A rough guide:

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.

Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

PHUKET:
just did my extenions for retirement on Weds

they do take ur photo now at immigration and u pick up ur passport with the extension same day but after 2:30

if u have ANY sort of income from outside Thailand the combo method for the retirement extension is the easiest and does not tie up as much funds for 3 months

Actually believe the track record of factual information provided is a lot better from experienced posters here than that being reported from Immigration and volunteers and paid services; and in most cases also less misunderstandings. But in fact you will be dealing with your local immigration so the days special may not be exactly the same as yesterdays menu. Misunderstandings can happen and when there is often more than on language involved they can become more frequent. Normally things run a on smooth sea - but be prepared to ride the tide when required.

• Like 1

If you qualify for both, the only advantage I can see in applying for the Retirement option is:

If the financial levels are ever raised in the future, Retirement levels tend to be grandfathered.

Marriage requirements have not been in recent times.

Retirement extension easy to get and keep, even more if you are American......

Getting the married extension is not so easy, more paperworks, possible visits to your home, more questioning and probes, witnesses, etc, etc...and...if marriage fails, needs to change the extension again.....

Marriage extension may be good only in getting a work permit working with wife......

• Like 1

Slightly easier, but marriage extension is still easy and needs less finances.

1. Extension based on retirement ------ Requires minimal paperwork and no photo's! The extension is provided on the basis of a local immigration decision and granted on the same day it is applied for . Just one trip to immigration !

2. Extension based on marriage .......... significant paperwork + photo's. Not a local decision . Two visits to immigration mandated by a 30 day "under consideration " period.

I will stick with the retirement option despite being married to a Thai.

me too!

• Like 1

why make it difficult when u can get is easy................. JUST GO TO UR IMMIGRATION OFFICE ... ask there and they will provide all information u need

Not generally true.

For one thing, many people who have questions get confused with terms when asking questions and even if they have the terms right, they may not pose their questions in a way that's coherent to an Immigrations officer whose English is not idiomatically fluent.

The officer may not always provide an answer in a way that offers options or suggest why one method of doing something is more convenient or less expensive than another.

And, of course, language issues on either side may muddy the waters.

It's true that some of the posts on TV may include wrong information or be confusing, but those are usually corrected or amplified by other posters.

Ultimately it will be the immigrations office that decides what can be done, but if you go in already in possession of information provided by other applicants with relevant experience, you'll usually be better prepared.

• Like 1

I previously had a retirement extension and recently applied for a married 12 month extension at the Khon Kaen Immigration Office. I've submitted all the paperwork, paid and have to wait for 60 days to go back and get the stamp.

The requirements are as stated in a previous post. In my case, I also had to get an official statement from my Local Government Office confirming that I lived at the stated address with my wife (in addition to my yellow book and wife's blue book showing the same address). This proved difficult as they wanted a translation of my Australian marriage registration certified by the Thai embassy. To get that, I had to get the original marriage registration certified by the Australian embassy as being 'true'. Then the Local Government Office wanted a full translation of my passport! The Khon Kaen Office assured us that all this certification was unnecessary, but the Local Government Office didn't seem to know what to do. This all took a few weeks to organise. In the end, my wife knew someone in the office who fixed it and we got the required paperwork (two witnesses also had to come to the office to sign it).

We went to Khon Kaen with all the paeperwork, and another two witnesses (also required), but there was something wrong with the letter fro the bank stating I'd had 400,000 Baht in the bank for over two months. By this stage, I was starting to sweat a little bit as I'd already spent the extra 400,000 Baht from the previous 800,000 Baht required for my retirement visa and there was less than a week left on my original visa to apply. Anyway, we got it all sorted in the end.

In summary, yes, I would say on the retirement extension if I could spare the money. Don't commit the extra 400,000 Baht until you are sure you will get the marriage extension. And make sure you leave plenty of time to organise everything.

• Like 1

I do the extensions based on marriage, together with my wife. I need 800k guarantee because she also does extensions, otherwise I don't have to wait for the consideration. I have quiet some friends doing it the same way.

Slightly easier, but marriage extension is still easy and needs less finances.

Also, can result in "home visits" by Immigration officers. This is not done with a retirement visa.

I never had one in 12 years, but no big deal even if you do get one.

Not really a hardship is it?

• Like 2

I do the extensions based on marriage, together with my wife. I need 800k guarantee because she also does extensions, otherwise I don't have to wait for the consideration. I have quiet some friends doing it the same way.

Thai wife?

I have friends that do the marriage route, jumping through hoops. I would never do although I was married to my Thai wife before I retired and moved here full time over 5 yrs. ago. In Udon you will have to return in 30 days for your approval on extension of stay based on retirement income. That started fairly recently. I don't know about marriage. Let me add, Udon immigration is pretty easy to deal with, helpful if something isn't quite correct, as long as you behave. Act like a jerk, you will be treated as you deserve.

Thai wife?

Yes, thai wife, with dual citizien ship

Which begs the question of why she is visiting Thailand using a foreign passport and having to deal with extensions if she is Thai? I suspect the other nationality does not allow dual citizenship so she does not have a Thai passport available? Thailand does not prevent citizens from having both foreign passports and Thai passport.

Which begs the question of why she is visiting Thailand using a foreign passport and having to deal with extensions if she is Thai? I suspect the other nationality does not allow dual citizenship so she does not have a Thai passport available? Thailand does not prevent citizens from having both foreign passports and Thai passport.

Not only, the following also makes little sense

I do the extensions based on marriage, together with my wife. I need 800k guarantee because she also does extensions,

Based on marriage the funds required is 400K not 800. If on a joint account then yes it would be 800K but that can be fixed in one day by opening another individual account. Then of course the concept of a Thai citizen "doing extensions" and at the same time being the basis for the spouse to obtain an extension for marriage is totally absurd.

• Like 1

I think its important to note that whilst retirement is easier for many, it's not a universal rule that marriage needs to be harder then retirement.

Very few get the marriage "home visit", but I have known it to happen. On the occasion that I knew it to happen, the immigration officer wanted proof that the couple slept in the same bed, absurd but true.

It's like anything in Thailand, it depends on where you do it and who processes the application.

Not only, the following also makes little sense

I do the extensions based on marriage, together with my wife. I need 800k guarantee because she also does extensions,

Based on marriage the funds required is 400K not 800. If on a joint account then yes it would be 800K but that can be fixed in one day by opening another individual account. Then of course the concept of a Thai citizen "doing extensions" and at the same time being the basis for the spouse to obtain an extension for marriage is totally absurd.

I think his wife is getting an extension based upon having Thai nationality and he is getting an extension based upon retirement.

He stated also that he does not have an under consideration period which certainly means he is not getting an extension based upon marriage.

I think its important to note that whilst retirement is easier for many, it's not a universal rule that marriage needs to be harder then retirement.

Very few get the marriage "home visit", but I have known it to happen. On the occasion that I knew it to happen, the immigration officer wanted proof that the couple slept in the same bed, absurd but true.

It's like anything in Thailand, it depends on where you do it and who processes the application.

But most will see retirement as older age and due respect and that they are bringing into Thailand funds that would not otherwise be here, rather than the Thai wife foreigner avoiding proper visa to stay and work in Thailand mentality that is often found for that category. Presumed innocent or guilty. Remember there is a long history of foreigners using marriage to gain residence and citizenship in Thailand and a strong desire to control - where as retirement has no such negative concatenation. Retirement is easier for husband and wife and immigration and neighbors if that path is available. Yes both can be done and actual work will not be that much different but retirement will almost always be the shorter path.

But as said it is a personal decision which should be taken with wife input (as she is also effected). For many that have income or can keep account balance high enough (emergency use funds) retirement would seem the logical choice.

But nothing fits everyone and we should try to remove the negative perceptions of the Thai Wife extension as most are not out to play the system but are here for family reasons.