Booming Base Speakers

DD13

06.00 This morning......(sunday)......incredible "bass dominated" music commences at the Orbital at Nong Plalai

What is it with these people that they think this is acceptable ??

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My g/f family house in bangkok has a temple behind it and when they have their fayre they have music and I MEAN LOUD often from v early until really late she says their arguement is that its for the poor workers who dont have much leisure stuff, me i just went away for a few days.

rijit

My g/f family house in bangkok has a temple behind it and when they have their fayre they have music and I MEAN LOUD often from v early until really late she says their arguement is that its for the poor workers who dont have much leisure stuff, me i just went away for a few days.

rijit

Probably the best idea........

It is now midday and the volume is almost muted...

Funny "old people"......

Their Country I guess

In answer to the OPs question "do they think it is acceptable"?....

Yes, they do. This is Thailand and this is what they do. They don't find this a nuisance.

When one chooses to live or retire in another country with different people and culture, one must adapt.

Another country, same deal... when I'm in the Philippines it is quite common that people will blast karaoke machines at 6am if there's a special event - birthday or other celebration. Our family does the same. No one complains - it's the way things are.

My sympathies first. This is torture, particularly if you are sensitive to low frequency sounds. I suffered horribly in the past. Often called 191 in the middle of the night.

This will sound inappropriate and unhelpful - but if you fight it, and get angry, it will get worse. When it is on, you will suffer. When it goes away, you will be dreading the prospect of yet more to come.

So if you cannot relocate your residence, try to accept it.

Let the sound in - very difficult, I know only too well.

Thing is, Thais have an acquired immunity to loud noise. Just like folks who live next to a 6-lane highway, the traffic noise is horrendous, but it doesn't register.

Try to see the funny side - say to yourself something like: "Aha! here come my favourite boom booms!" and just go along with it.

With practice, you can teach yourself to ignore it. Good luck.

Yes, they do. This is Thailand and this is what they do. They don't find this a nuisance.

When one chooses to live or retire in another country with different people and culture, one must adapt.

Another country, same deal... when I'm in the Philippines it is quite common that people will blast karaoke machines at 6am if there's a special event - birthday or other celebration. Our family does the same. No one complains - it's the way things are.

Sorry tropo but I do not agree with you . I have experienced Thai neighbours complain to the police about unreasonable levels of loud music and the police have attended and got the sound turned down to everyone's satisfaction . The police said that it was friendly advice and hoped that they would not be called out again and were even given a beer by the party people . Maybe its dependent on where you live .

My pet hate is the heavy transport vehicles that seem to have no baffles in their exhaust systems . The drivers seem to take great pleasure in throttling up and down to create an ear blasting noise that can be heard 1 km away

The "Booming Bass" problem is often a question of the quality of speakers. If the bass speaker can't resolve low frequencies then everything gets messed up in a mid-low frequency. That's why it sounds so horrible as compared to the sound of musicians' basses.

Additionally it's a question of resonance, within the equipment, and aalso between equipment and environment. Much can be done with low costs, eg using egg packages. Ask a musician who works with a band in a garage, maybe he/she can tell you what can be done.

Edited by micmichd

My sympathies first. This is torture, particularly if you are sensitive to low frequency sounds. I suffered horribly in the past. Often called 191 in the middle of the night.

This will sound inappropriate and unhelpful - but if you fight it, and get angry, it will get worse. When it is on, you will suffer. When it goes away, you will be dreading the prospect of yet more to come.

Thing is, Thais have an acquired immunity to loud noise. Just like folks who live next to a 6-lane highway, the traffic noise is horrendous, but it doesn't register.

Try to see the funny side - say to yourself something like: "Aha! here come my favourite boom booms!" and just go along with it.

No way to ignore noise. Obviously you're not yet deaf from these sounds. Maybe it helps if you walk around the furniture or turn your head a bit when it gets too loud.

I have learnt to enjoy the silence after the pathetic morons have finished their partying. You can guarantee that if I started playing Wagner or Verdi at 6.00 am thru to midnight at the decibel level of the party monkeys I would soon have a visit from the local police.

Sorry tropo but I do not agree with you . I have experienced Thai neighbours complain to the police about unreasonable levels of loud music and the police have attended and got the sound turned down to everyone's satisfaction . The police said that it was friendly advice and hoped that they would not be called out again and were even given a beer by the party people . Maybe its dependent on where you live .

My pet hate is the heavy transport vehicles that seem to have no baffles in their exhaust systems . The drivers seem to take great pleasure in throttling up and down to create an ear blasting noise that can be heard 1 km away

This music, which upset the OP was hosted by the local council. This wasn't a private party. 6 or 7am is a perfectly acceptable time of the day to start up loud music. Geez, they can even pump concrete at the building sites all night here where I live - no one complains.

Edited by tropo

No way to ignore noise. Obviously you're not yet deaf from these sounds. Maybe it helps if you walk around the furniture or turn your head a bit when it gets too loud.

It's only "noise" if you don't like it. Provided it is at levels which don't cause hearing damage, it can be ignored. In the OP's case, I doubt it was causing any physical distress.

My pet hate is the heavy transport vehicles that seem to have no baffles in their exhaust systems . The drivers seem to take great pleasure in throttling up and down to create an ear blasting noise that can be heard 1 km away [/

quote]

When you're in the position of believing you're less than everyone else, inverted snobbery, making a lot of noise might be your way of calling attention to yourself.

Applies to a lot of ex-pats in the bars out here as well.

When you're in the position of believing you're less than everyone else, inverted snobbery, making a lot of noise might be your way of calling attention to yourself.

Young people like loud music. It has nothing to do with their personal feelings of self worth. In this case it's festive music on a Sunday morning.

I have a similar problem. Close to my house which is near the Buffalo Bar on Third Road there is a disco-type bar which opens at about midnight and often stays that way until 7AM. The boom boom from it penetrates solid concrete, brick walls etc. When the noise becomes unbearable I fit silicon ear plugs; they are very efficient but I don't think they are on sale in Thailand. I buy mine in Penang.

Occasionally, when the noise is very bad, I phone City Hall's Helpline on 1337. They are always sympathetic and get the police to visit the bar. The noise level then fades, but 20 minutes after the police visit it often starts again. TIT!!

I keep reminding myself that if I want a quiet life then I should not live in Pattaya.

Stupid IS what stupid DOES ?

Some people say it is Thai tradition, it is not, it is only in recent decades that those bass speakers were invented. the people who enjoy that racket are just plain stupid.

Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

I have a similar problem. Close to my house which is near the Buffalo Bar on Third Road there is a disco-type bar which opens at about midnight and often stays that way until 7AM. The boom boom from it penetrates solid concrete, brick walls etc. When the noise becomes unbearable I fit silicon ear plugs; they are very efficient but I don't think they are on sale in Thailand. I buy mine in Penang.

Occasionally, when the noise is very bad, I phone City Hall's Helpline on 1337. They are always sympathetic and get the police to visit the bar. The noise level then fades, but 20 minutes after the police visit it often starts again. TIT!!

I keep reminding myself that if I want a quiet life then I should not live in Pattaya.

I went to The Buffalo Bar ONCE and my friends and I couldn't hold a conversation, it was so loud. Didn't even stay long enough to order a beer. I pity those poor servers!

It's only "noise" if you don't like it. Provided it is at levels which don't cause hearing damage, it can be ignored. In the OP's case, I doubt it was causing any physical distress.

I would bet it will cost hearing damage in later life to those who have been subject to it since they were very young, and these @rseholes who have that noise booming while they are driving their cars, will definitely suffer hearing damage in later life.

Young people like loud music. It has nothing to do with their personal feelings of self worth. In this case it's festive music on a Sunday morning.

I would not be referring to it as music, noise is the word.

They think: This is our country, we even don't have to think whether this acceptable because we all like it - 68 mill. people. Who cares about some stray farang with their exotic ways of life?

I have learnt to enjoy the silence after the pathetic morons have finished their partying. You can guarantee that if I started playing Wagner or Verdi at 6.00 am thru to midnight at the decibel level of the party monkeys I would soon have a visit from the local police.

Actually ... why don't you do just that. Seriously ... I'm not joking.

They think: This is our country, we even don't have to think whether this acceptable because we all like it - 68 mill. people. Who cares about some stray farang with their exotic ways of life?

Please don't blame it on Thais. Noise is a problem in Farang countries, too. And don't think it is solved there.

Hi I suffer from poor sleep big issue 4 me . over the years i've tried EVERY form of ear plug. Including silicone.And by far the best i've used are Boots wax muffles 5 pairs in a box Sold in all branchs'. Small wax pellets that the heat of your chest when lieng in bed softens then it moulds to the shape of your ear. First use almost 100% effective then they slightly decrease ive slept through loads with these get .through a pack a month £2.55 and 120 bht.

rijit

Edited by rijit