SWIFT wire to Thailand ... bank address main office or home branch?

Working on doing a SWIFT and in the past given Thai bank address (required) of both the main office in Bangkok and my home provincial branch.

But the form I am using just says bank address. No space for two addresses.

Which do you think should be put there ... main Bangkok office or provincial branch where I actually hold the account?

(The bank is SCB.)

I had a similar question and emailed my bank to ask, here is their response. (They told me to use the branch name. It looks like once it's received in BKK it is then transfered to the branch and a small fee is charged for that.)

Quote:

Referring to your enquiry about transferred money from overseas to Kasikorn account, we would like to inform you that, when you would like to make Global Inward to Kasikorn bank, please inform some information to bank of transferor as follows:

- Bank name is Kasikornbank Public Company Limited
- Account number ( 10 digit of the receiver's account number)
- Account name ( the receiver's name)
- Branch name ( the branch of the receiver's account )
- SWIFT code is KASITHBK
- Contact information (if required)

When Kasikornbank receive inward remittances, Kasikornbank will exchange them by using exchange rate on received date. After we exchange inward remittances, we will change for Global Inward fee 0.25% of them (minimum charge is 200 Baht and maximum change is 500 Baht). Furthermore, if beneficiary account is not located in Bangkok Metropolitan, Kasikornbank will charge for Domestic Transfer fee 0.10% of the amount (a minimum charge of 10 Baht) plus Lease Line fee 20 Baht per item.

End Quote

JT I don't think it matters but when I originally opened my account with SCB at one of the main branches I was given a little slip with the SWIFT and address details - which were for the main HO. As long as the SWIFT and your account number are correct it will get to you.

If you have to choose I would go with the main one.

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think it really matters either as long as they have the correct SWIFT code, correct account number, and correct name on the account.

Still not really sure which bank address to put down though. Maybe flip a coin.

Edited by Jingthing

Same for me with SCB, when I opened my account in Ubon in February 2015, the leaflet they gave me regarding SWIFT details the Head Office address.

When I previously transferred funds to my wife in October 2014, I used her SCB branch address in Bangkok and it got there within 24 hours, so I guess both will work.

Bangkok Bank has one swift code for every branch which kind of defeats the purpose, your account number should identify the location of your branch. I would put the local branch where you do your banking as the address, which is what they would have on their records too.

Bangkok Bank has one swift code for every branch which kind of defeats the purpose, your account number should identify the location of your branch. I would put the local branch where you do your banking as the address, which is what they would have on their records too.

That is not correct, Bangkok Bank Thailand has a single SWIFT code for all of its retail brancghes, Bangkok Bank’s SWIFT code "BKKBTHBK".

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/Pages/TransferringintoThailand.aspx

That is not correct, Bangkok Bank Thailand has a single SWIFT code for all of its retail brancghes, Bangkok Bank’s SWIFT code "BKKBTHBK".

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/Pages/TransferringintoThailand.aspx

I worded that one wrong.........that's actually what I intended to say, there is one for all branches......that's why it defeats the purpose!

I always assumed a swift/ sort code, was a branch identifier.......

Don't the banks charge for a SWIFT transaction? With a US bank ( USAA/FSB) I just ACH the funds(no charge or tax IRS interest) to Bangkok bank New York Branch but put local branch acct number AND just for safety sake I put the local branch number in the remarks section. Never a hitch; only downside its a 2 day process. IF there is any charge, and I can not see it, it is very small, branch-to-branch xfer in country.

Edited by Koz33

I worded that one wrong.........that's actually what I intended to say, there is one for all branches......that's why it defeats the purpose!

I always assumed a swift/ sort code, was a branch identifier.......

No problem, just for clarity: SWIFT identifies banks, not branches.

I have a SCB account and have always used this address, as well as the SWIFT code , when requested, but I have not had to do a SWIFT transfer in 3 years but I can't see why the info would have changed in that time

Siam Commercial Bank (SCB)

SWIFT: SICOTHBK

9 Ratchadapisek Road

Lad Yao, Chatuchak, Bangkok, Thailand, 10900

And if they request a correspondent bank: (not normally required)

CitiBank N.A.

SWIFT: CITIUS33

111 Wall Street

New York, N.Y. 10005, USA

The Bangkok Bank Swift Code transfer arrives at the Main Office Bank in Bangkok.

When the transfer payment arrives from abroad via the Swift Code then the Bangkok Bank Main Office informs the account holders local Branch about the input procedure.

Then the local branch will update the sum into the account.holders account.

FYI -- I ended up using the main branch info and also included a phone number.

The wire went through.

I doubt it would have made any difference what I had put down there unless it was really silly.

There was another issue.

They had required fields for both SWIFT code and also BIC code.

Of course Thai banks only use SWIFT.

So instead of leaving the BIC (bank identifier code) code blank and raising a red flag, I just put the SCB SWIFT code in both.

Again, no issue.

Edited by Jingthing

SWIFT and BIC codes are really the same code. Actually BIC is the correct terminology for the bank code but people (and banks) routinely refer to it as the SWIFT code....basically the BIC code is used in the SWIFT system.

BIC

A BIC (Bank Identifier Code) is the SWIFT Address assigned to a bank in order to send automated payments quickly and accurately to the banks concerned. It uniquely identifies the name and country, (and sometimes the branch) of the bank involved. BICs are often called SWIFT Codes and can be either 8 or 11 characters long.

I think there are some BIC codes that including a BRANCH identifying number at the end of the code.

Thailand doesn't do that.

In any case, I can report putting the same code in both fields didn't phase them.

Could have put not applicable in the BIC field ... would have probably been OK too.

SCB calls it a SWIFT, so it's a SWIFT.

• 3 weeks later...