British graduates to help students in 45 Thai provinces speak better English

webfact

EDU UPDATE
British graduates to help students in 45 provinces speak better English

PAKAWAN ROJANASINGSAWAD
MESINEE MUANGPIN
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Thai pupils at 92 schools in 45 provinces will get help in improving their English skills under a nine-week programme led by undergraduates and recent graduates from the United Kingdom.

It will last until the end of August and is a collaboration between the British Council Thailand and the Thai Education Ministry. Since its establishment in 2012, the programme has been held for four consecutive years. The latest is entitled "Thai English Teaching (TET) Programme 2015". Its theme is "Bridging cultures and utilising online resources for effective and motivational English teaching and learning".

"It is crucial that students who hold the future of Thailand gain English ability," Education Ministry inspector-general Thipsuda Sumethsenee said at this year’s TET programme opening. "They need to appreciate the importance and find motivations to become part of the English-speaking world," she said.

This year, 142 English teaching assistants (ETAs), who are undergraduates and recent graduates from 35 British universities, will participate in this programme at 92 host schools, both state and private, in 45 provinces across Thailand.

"Opportunity, partnership and friendship are the three words that ran into my mind when I came to this event," said the British Embassy's UK trade and investment director, Marcus Winsley.

"It cannot be denied that English is gradually becoming a part of Thailand, as it is also regarded as the official language of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations."

"The programme aims to build up motivation through new styles of teaching. The students can enjoy classes while learning. They will also have opportunities to learn about the UK and about themselves through the cultural exchange," said Fred Evans, director of programmes of the British Council Thailand.

"Thai students’ English skills are not inferior to those of other countries, but we lack the courage to communicate with native speakers. It is difficult to expect an immediate result from this two-month teaching period but the programme would provide the first step to build students' motivation and enthusiasm for learning English," said Duriya Amatavivat, director of the Education Ministry's bureau of international cooperation. She also revealed a plan to prolong the TET programme's period of time to cover a whole semester or one year, in hopes of providing continuity and to raise more effective results in the students’ learning skills.

"I know there are students with good grammar in class but they might not get a chance to use their speaking skills. So hopefully I can encourage them to gain the confidence in using English in their work environment," said Tom Lavin from the University of Nottingham, one of this year’s TET teaching assistants.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/British-graduates-to-help-students-in-45-provinces-30263825.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-06

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would of thought they would be best learning chinese lol.

English is only a problem as the teaching standard is so lapse & even good native english teachers get dicked about with wages & work permits as schools love minimal to no expense & education quality is never a real issue as everyone gets a gold star in happy happy tingtong thailand ...

Wow! Are they really putting a spin on this article. Thailand is allowing recent British graduates to teach with no pay in Thailand.

Thai students are not inferior to those of other countries heeeheee.

And they actually this this will give motivation and enthusiasm for learning english. This whole article reeks.

"Thai students'English skills are not inferior to those of other countries," said Duriya Amatavivat (no doubt in Thai).

It appears that if you do not acknowledge the problems, they don't exist. Thailand the hub of denial!

Edited by BigBadGeordie

The British council are a fantastic outfit, if they are allowed to fulfill their mandate without interference I see no reason why many students won't have at least some benefit to gain from this venture

What is needed is students who want to learn English.....and they are few in number.

Yes I agree but that's not altogether the students fault is it...they are brought up in this false opinion of there's nothing like Thailand. That and along with there parents never been educated probably it all leaves to no idea of the importance of learning English..I have taught briefly friends of my x wife's children and there was definately an awareness to learn English from them and from the 4 of the girls 3 were particularly attentive and really picked it up well ..Having said that I dealt with just speaking and having never had formal teaching training in English but have a great deal of teaching and coaching experience in sports adapted lots of good practices and also encouraged them to think ! And have everyday conversations between them..They are not used to that it was obvious but they adapted incredibly well...When I go back later in the year I will do my bit and continue..I found them on a almost one to one situation to be really good! Edited by Nigeone

This programme will not deliver. 90 days is not even a reasonable timeline to establish a framework in which English education can be delivered, let alone taught.

The 2015 budget brief references "education" 137 times and IF they follow the stated mandates, there's hope for an improved 'quality of education'. But going to the Ministry of Education's website..., poorly designed and outdated..., one wonders whether there's a solid focus underway.

Let's hope education is rising on the list of priorities and not just talk with little action. It's so critically important to this country and its future.

Wow! Are they really putting a spin on this article. Thailand is allowing recent British graduates to teach with no pay in Thailand.

Thai students are not inferior to those of other countries heeeheee.

And they actually this this will give motivation and enthusiasm for learning english. This whole article reeks.

I'd agree, just a big sap article, but hey what can I say? Sorry but doesn't happen this way in Thailand.... coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

But then there is reality.......cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I taught in five different schools in Thailand. Each school gave an absolute raspberry and a one-fingered salute when it came to the importance of learning English. We would inform every new teacher that we weren't there to teach. rather to give the "appearance" of teaching. If there was a special program happening and the students needed to be pulled from class, guess which one took it in the rear?

Yeah, keep on running your programs, LoS. You certainly will get your students to speek Engrish gooder.

Meanwhile, my daughter was just offered an English teaching job at a salary that's over 40% less than other NES teachers because, in the words of the interviewer, she's "not a real farang".

This is despite having British citizenship, being educated overseas in the Britsh system and spending the first 24 years of her life outside of Thailand.

Local schools employ Russians,Ukranians, folk from Cameroon and Filipinos to teach Thais English

Ask yourselves Why and then answer and you understand how important learning English is here in Thailand.

Also parents pay alot more for mini English programme because teachers are native speakers - Yes native speakers from Moscow and Kiev

Spot the deliberate mistake - oh no it is c*********

"Thai students'English skills are not inferior to those of other countries," said Duriya Amatavivat (no doubt in Thai).

A small man, with a huge ego, who cannot participate in the very basic skill of acknowledging that a problem exists, and therefore it needs to be fixed. The very crux of the problem, begins with this man, and many other like him. How do you begin to address a problem, when egos are so sensitive, that the problem cannot be confronted? Sometimes I think the very participation in the act of "face", is the single greatest act of cowardice a person can commit. Everything about face, goes against so many principles of progress, (and is the very opposite of spirituality) and improvement of ones self. It is a positively egregious characteristic, that somehow needs to be stamped out of the Asian psyche. How do you begin to improve, and evolve, if you cannot look within for the source of the problem? Face is the opposite of introspection. Without introspection, self improvement is nearly impossible. Perhaps the same can be said for society as a whole.

​It makes prefect sense to have english speaking people teach Thai people to speak english. DUH! The entire english staff in this country should be comprised of foreigners. Most Thai english teachers have little skill in teaching their students english.

Edited by spidermike007

Thailand need look no further than their native speaking English expat community if they want to find teachers. Many retired farang would be only to happy to volunteer to assist in classes. It need not need just be English as there is a wealth of expertise and experience out there just waiting to be tapped.

Put it this way. It's virtually impossible to be taught Thai by a foreigner . If its not your first launguage then accent sound understanding most of the time is very poor. I speak Thai but would not try to teach another foreigner here to speak it. I help with a few words but recommend learning Thai with a Thai!

Edited by Chicken George

Icing on a cake. A 9 week program is just a feeble show of having a Farang teacher. They will not accomplish anything.

When I was still teaching, I would have adult students come for a month or 2 months course - I would tell them frankly, unless you follow through for years, you're only wasting your money, your time, and mine.

Local schools employ Russians,Ukranians, folk from Cameroon and Filipinos to teach Thais English

Ask yourselves Why and then answer and you understand how important learning English is here in Thailand.

Also parents pay alot more for mini English programme because teachers are native speakers - Yes native speakers from Moscow and Kiev

Spot the deliberate mistake - oh no it is c*********

I work at a school with 2 Russian 'native English' speaking teachers, although they try really hard I get a bit sick of them asking me to explain English to them.

Yes they speak Renglish. Like the Thai speak Tenglish.

BTW STOP Thai teachers teaching English because the can't do it plain and simple.

Edited by abitmiffed

The schools will take pictures of the classes and declare the program a success.

PS: The best way for Thai students to learn English is to send them to the UK.

Why not have a continuous program of say 1000 English teaching graduates each year. Yes English people from the UK.

Pay for their flights and pay them a reasonable wage. About 30k baht a month. This could benefit both peoples. English programs here would see a huge boost here year on year out. The English students would gain experience which would help them in the years to come. The cost would be very small as part of the Thais education budget.. A proper program could then be implemented across the country.

Yes Americans could be involved too. The biggest problem I see is the ever changing teachers of English in the classrooms. No set programs etc. Stability would help.

I admit it is a nice plan. This way the Thai kids get the best and cheapest english teachers availlable.

The Brits get a chance of some real sunshine in their lifes.

But not paying the graduates is not done in my opinion. They deserve at least the 300 baht a day for food, get free taxi/hotel/insurance.

First the backpackers were not welcome anymore to Thailand because they were low quality tourists. Now they found out that farang backpackers can also teach english for free they are welcome sir.

While thinking about it i think the Brits deserve minimum wage paid in the UK and nothing less. Maybe even a tropic bonus on top and if the school doesn't have aircon they sure are underpaid. If the Brits go to a National Park they also pay 10 times the thai fee, why would they work for free?

Foreign teachers at Thai schools have to obtain non-immigrant B visas (immigration), work permits (Labour) and teacher licenses (TCT), or waivers, in order to teach legally here. Why is the British Council given permission to ignore the rules that apply to everyone else?

They'll also accept teachers without degrees onto this program. This is an admission that they do not really believe a degree is necessary for foreign teachers to teach EFL effectively.

It's grossly hypocritical of the government to allow rule bending just for the BC.

Hundreds, if not thousands, of foreign teachers experience a great deal of stress and insecurity because of the complicated and sometimes incomprehensible paperwork process. Schools also suffer as they don't have enough foreign teachers because foreign teachers are leaving because of the impossible bureaucratic process to teach here.

Instead of making things easy for one foreign organization, why not overhaul the whole system in order to introduce fairness and security for all?

Depending on who pays for the airfare, this could be a cheap opportunity for the British graduates to benefit from a good 2 month bender, sorry cultural enlightenment in an exotic, tropical paradise at the taxpayers expense. Apart from a few successes I can't see much good coming out of it. Hey ho TIT???

Edited by watso63