Clinton says she opposes boycott effort against Israel

webfact

Clinton says she opposes boycott effort against Israel
By KEN THOMAS

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton says in a letter to American Jewish organizations that she opposes a grassroots protest movement promoting boycotts, divestment and sanctions against Israel over policies involving the Palestinian territories.

Clinton said in the letter released Monday that she agreed on the need to make countering the Boycott, Divestment and Sanction movement, or BDS movement, a priority. The July 2 letter sought advice on how to "fight back against further attempts to isolate and delegitimize Israel."

"As you know, BDS seeks to punish Israel and dictate how the Israelis and Palestinians should resolve the core issues of their conflict. That is not the path to peace," Clinton wrote.

The BDS movement has gained strength on U.S. college campuses and in Europe. The Israeli government and many Jewish leaders have called the movement anti-Semitic and an attempt to discredit Israel. BDS advocates say it is based on the campaign against South African apartheid and is aimed at Israeli policy, not Jews, following two decades of failed peace talks and expanded Israeli settlement of the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

Clinton said she was concerned by attempts to compare Israel to South African apartheid. "Israel is a vibrant democracy in a region dominated by autocracy, and it faces existential threats to its survival," she wrote.

The letter was addressed to each of the presidents in the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations as well as Haim Saban, an Israeli-born U.S. media mogul and top Clinton donor who hosted Clinton at a Los Angeles fundraiser in May.

It comes as the U.S. is working with allies to complete a nuclear agreement with Iran, which has been eyed warily by American Jewish leaders, and the Obama administration has sought to repair ties with Israel. Clinton's campaign said the candidate had heard about the issue from a number of people over the past few months and wanted to seek advice from others who share her concerns.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-07

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course BDS is anti-Semitic. There is no legitimate comparison between Israel and South African apartheid. Good for Ms Clinton for opposing these lying Nazi creeps.

bless ya you see no fault in israel do you....the perfect country in your eyes...

Of course BDS is anti-Semitic. There is no legitimate comparison between Israel and South African apartheid. Good for Ms Clinton for opposing these lying Nazi creeps.

bless ya you see no fault in israel do you....the perfect country in your eyes...

With Israeli propaganda machine it is difficult for some people to see the truth, especially when they don't want to.

And why is not agreeing with Israel's policies anti semitic?

Well, that does it! I used to like Hilary as the best option of anyone running, but she's just lost my vote.

Of course it's just pandering to the Jewish lobby. She's not dumb. She knows full well that the BDS movement is not anti-semitic and that it is attempting to bring about what her husband failed to do; Peace and justice in Israel/Palestine.

The BDS movement DEFINITELY is Judeophobic. I've posted evidence about this before. The goal of it's leaders is the end of the one and only Jewish majority nation in the world -- Israel. Clinton will be president and she will definitely be stronger in her support of Israel than Obama.

Now many naive followers may not fully understand the actual agenda of BDS ... so I am not saying that all supporters of BDS are Jew haters.

Edited by Jingthing

What this Dame does and says to get elected is unbelievable.

Watch out for this character!

I believe Hillary Clinton is sincerely an Israel supporter and sincerely opposes the Judeophobic BDS movement. I'm not saying I believe everything she says or everything ANY politician says but I believe her on this.

Edited by Jingthing

The BDS movement DEFINITELY is Judeophobic. I've posted evidence about this before. The goal of it's leaders is the end of the one and only Jewish majority nation in the world -- Israel. Clinton will be president and she will definitely be stronger in her support of Israel than Obama.

Now many naive followers may not fully understand the actual agenda of BDS ... so I am not saying that all supporters of BDS are Jew haters.

I have seen better arguments from you here on TV.

Not perfect. Nobody said any nation is perfect.

But you know, your credibility on speaking about Israel is ZERO as you have already come out on another thread as an open Jew hater. It's one thing to oppose certain policies of the Israeli government, perfectly reasonable and most Israelis and Jews do as well, but it's yet another to hate Israel because of JEWS.

I have seen better arguments from you here on TV.

Sorry to have let you down, buddy.

Not perfect, but a Western-style democracy and far superior to the Islamic dictatorships surrounding it.

While some people still believe the propaganda opposing the BDS movement, that it is antisemitic or Judeophobic or trying to bring an end to the state of Israel, Hilary draws far short of those silly accusations.

I think common sense will prevail and the movement will gain traction, as it has been doing in the US and Europe.

As the US election draws nearer, Hilary's team will crunch the numbers and the Jewish lobby may be in for a disappointment. Lets hope so, as the BDS movement, although gaining ground, could do with some help in it's laudable attempts to make Israel face up to it's misdeeds.

BDS is collective punishment (one of the things they claim Israel carries out)

If BDS wants to use it, fine, but don't pretend that the method is 'not' collective punishment.

If BDS is anti Jew, who knows. One thing is for sure, its end goal is the dissolution a Jewish homeland.

Well she would say that wouldn't she? It's weird that a potential US President can't hope to win without kowtowing to a pariah state 6,000 miles.

And her claim that Israel is a vibrant democracy is laughable when you consider the elephant in the room ....4.5 million Palestinians under Israeli occupation for 48 years now suffering daily humiliations, beatings and murders, with children arrested in the middle of the night and imprisoned without legal representation,

551 children killed last year alone due to Israeli war crimes in Gaza, a state that on umpteen occasions ignores UN resolutions, and discriminates against its own Israeli Arab citizens.

Meet the Israelis

One-third of Israelis want to deny Arab citizens the right to vote; about half of Israelis favor a policy of 'transferring' Arabs out of the country; and a majority says there is apartheid here. We need to finally give up on the hope that things will get better.

Why are US politicians so gutless when it comes to doing the right thing. Especially when the majority of the current Israeli cabinet blatantly defy US and EU policy on a 2 state solution...supposedly their closest ally.

The two-state solution is dead. Just ask Israel's own ministers.

The Palestinians have waited long enough for justice. The politicians have achieved nothing. It's time the people intervened and hit Israelis where it hurts most...in the wallet.

Edited by dexterm

If BDS wants to use it, fine, but don't pretend that the method is 'not' collective punishment.

If BDS is anti Jew, who knows. One thing is for sure, its end goal is the dissolution a Jewish homeland.

The end goal is to bring Israel to its senses to make a just peace with its neighbors. Jews will still have a homeland if they negotiate a 2 state solution. They will not if they continue their occupation in a one state solution. The Palestinians will outbreed and outvote them. Maybe Hilary can make this clearer to them when she has finished all her kowtowing and wins.

I certainly hope the people power of BDS succeeds where the politicians have failed.

What is your basis for this?

And why is not agreeing with Israel's policies anti semitic?

Still waiting for an answer from you.

I think common sense will prevail and the movement will gain traction, as it has been doing in the US and Europe.

Common sense is already prevailing. BDS is a failure as were the boycotts against Israel before it.

Why the BDS movement is such a colossal flop

http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/david-s-harp/.premium-1.599763

The failures of the Israel boycotters

The various campaigns by British BDS groups have been noisy and sometimes messy, but in practical terms, they have been a complete failure

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/1408/the_failures_of_the_israel_boycotters

The BDS movement is failing.

The BDS campaign (boycotts, sanctions and divestment) against Israel represents a malevolent, reactionary political force which is antisemitic in effect if not intent, in that it singles out Israel (and only Israel), the world’s only Jewish state and the state in the region with the best human rights record. Additionally, despite claims in the media to the contrary, prominent BDS leaders support violence and openly oppose the continued existence of the Jewish state within any boundaries.

http://ukmediawatch.org/2015/06/19/the-bds-movement-is-failing-part-1/

Edited by Ulysses G.

Well, that does it! I used to like Hilary as the best option of anyone running, but she's just lost my vote.

Of course it's just pandering to the Jewish lobby. She's not dumb. She knows full well that the BDS movement is not anti-semitic and that it is attempting to bring about what her husband failed to do; Peace and justice in Israel/Palestine.

"Well, that does it! I used to like Hilary as the best option of anyone running, but she's just lost my vote."

Your threat is insignificant.

You are a self proclaimed Aussie. You have no vote to lose.

Common sense is already prevailing. BDS is a failure as were the boycotts against Israel before it.

The various campaigns by British BDS groups have been noisy and sometimes messy, but in practical terms, they have been a complete failure

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/1408/the_failures_of_the_israel_boycotters

The BDS campaign (boycotts, sanctions and divestment) against Israel represents a malevolent, reactionary political force which is antisemitic in effect if not intent, in that it singles out Israel (and only Israel), the world’s only Jewish state and the state in the region with the best human rights record. Additionally, despite claims in the media to the contrary, prominent BDS leaders support violence and openly oppose the continued existence of the Jewish state within any boundaries.

Not according to the OP.

"The BDS movement has gained strength on U.S. college campuses and in Europe."

And if it is such a flop, why are Jewish leaders in the US so worried that they have to write a letter to Hilary, crying about it?

11 Votes

If BDS is such a failure why is Clinton being so outspoken in attacking it?

I for one of millions refuse to buy anything remotely to do with Israeli manufacturing, yes right down to the computer I am typing on now.

Think of the opposite: how prosperous Israel could be if it made a just peace with its neighbors.

Study: Israelis, Palestinians Would Gain Billions From Peace

"Its main finding was that following a peace agreement, Israelis stood to gain $120 billion over the course of a decade. The Palestinians would gain $50 billion, marking a 36-percent rise in their average per-capita income, the report said.
In contrast, the Israeli economy would lose some $250 billion in foregone economic opportunities in a return to violence, and the Palestinians would see their per-capita gross domestic product fall by as much as 46 percent, the report said."

"Well, that does it! I used to like Hilary as the best option of anyone running, but she's just lost my vote."

Your threat is insignificant.

You are a self proclaimed Aussie. You have no vote to lose.

No kidding, Einstein?

Thanks for the advice.thumbsup.gif