Govt asks overseas Thais to explain coup to foreigners

webfact

Thats an easy one...... The Military staged a Coup. Made promises of an election that never materialised, curbed freedom of speech, brought in a draconian 'Law' called Article 44, started an anti-corruption campaign that after 12 months, netted 71 offenders from millions of civil servants, the Coup 'organiser' resigned/retired from his Military post and undemocratically installed himself as the countries PM and gets into bed with Communist China and runs Thailand from a playbook with severe traits of being a Military D (can't use the word....the truth hurts, apparently). Buys 3 submarines from Communist China whilst asking Thais for donations to pay for the nations healthcare system.

Thats just a quick, brief overview to date.

And that only because Thailand was on the way to be like Greek in financial terms and the government controlled by a criminal on the run shot on protesters. And I forgot a caretaker government that was technically not in power anymore, because the caretaker time had expired.

still not facing reality, are you?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats an easy one...... The Military staged a Coup. Made promises of an election that never materialised, curbed freedom of speech, brought in a draconian 'Law' called Article 44, started an anti-corruption campaign that after 12 months, netted 71 offenders from millions of civil servants, the Coup 'organiser' resigned/retired from his Military post and undemocratically installed himself as the countries PM and gets into bed with Communist China and runs Thailand from a playbook with severe traits of being a Military D (can't use the word....the truth hurts, apparently). Buys 3 submarines from Communist China whilst asking Thais for donations to pay for the nations healthcare system.

And that only because Thailand was on the way to be like Greek in financial terms and the government controlled by a criminal on the run shot on protesters. And I forgot a caretaker government that was technically not in power anymore, because the caretaker time had expired.

Some more parroting of Opposition folderol, as if it had validity beyond their self-serving intentions.

Undoubtedly, some of what they complained about may have some credibility, same as the Opposition stuff in any other adversarial political system.

But to state their stuff as fact is a reach.

If they were absolutely confident of this, and if it was absolutely factual, don't you they think they could convince the electorate of it also, and 'turf the bums"?....Unless of course one considers the majority electorate to be a mindless segment of Thai society, politically naive to the extreme and only subject to political thought based on financial gain. Their actions show that this is what they think.

The fact they avoid 'going-to-the people', have their Election Commission cancel elections instead, is very revealing....Don't you think.

Edited by Bannum opinions

Yes the financial terms are so bad that they can still buy 3 subs, among other multi billion baht infrastructure projects.

The problem is twofold really, number one is that foreigners have their own real lives and real problems to think about, and don't have the time to listen to a lot of this stuff.

And secondly, Thailand is advertised as a tourist destination, and when you are a tourist you are thinking about things like suncream and planning what historic sites you will visit etc. Most tourists do not want to be thinking about complex political issues, when they are going on holiday to relax and enjoy themselves. Obviously all tourists should be aware of current national laws, local etiquette and other things that will hopefully make their travels problem-free. But beyond noting those basic travel-info facts, they are going on holiday to relax and be happy, which is the opposite of entering the surreal doors-inside-doors realm of politics in some nations.

Good point.

Some Thai people around me will claim that tourism is down due to the Political situation.

Tourists have political problems of their own back home, and don't give a rat's ass about it in Thailand, if they ever bothered to find out.

As this Post indicates, Tourists are in a different place.

Mmmm

Might not be a good idea seeing a lot of them are from Issan, who don't appreciate what is happening or scum as they have been referred to because they don't agree with the general.

Not sure too many foreigners are interested anyway to be honest.

That is a very poor reading of the situation.Neverthless one accepts that supporters of the military regime will become increasingly hysterical and illogical as its incompetence, corruption and unpopularity becomes more apparent.It's becoming increasingly evident that the Bangkok well educated middle class is in despair at the current debacle.However one must point out dishonesty where it occurs and it of course nonsense to suggest that Thailand's economy was heading to disaster under the last administration.Certainly no reasonable or informed person would deny the economy (all the main indicators including fdi) has deteriorated sharply under the military government.Some of this was inevitable given the macro environment but the loss of confidence arising from the military takeover was a significant factor.The ludicrous comparison to Greece is of course economic illiteracy: in fundamentals Thailand remains quite sound assisted by professional management at key institutions like the Ministry of Finance and BOT.Thai banks remain in very good shape.The challenge is really a strategic one, namely to avoid the middle income trap.

In attempting to defend the coupsters there is the familiar refrain of suggesting there was no coup at all, the government firing on peaceful protestors, the Voldemort mastermind pulling the strings - the usual cacophony of lies and half truths.I have some sympathy because in a forum like this it is all to easy to resort to tired and un thought through explanations.Sometimes however it's necessary to think hard and honestly and not take the easy way of countering opposing views.

We are at 700-1000 billion lost in the rice scam which continued....calculate yourself how long Thailand can do that on top of the usual corruption.

You may deny the shootings and bomb attacks, but the dead people are a fact you can't deny. And even someone who doesn't agree with this form of government (which is no doubt not democratic) must admit that it is best government since 15 years:

Yingluck: total silly and corrupt government, caused huge damages (rice, flooding)

Abhisit: silly and complete ineffective, government not without corruption, bad handling of basically everything (forming the government, Victor Bout, Red Protests, broken promises, etc etc)

Samak: corrupt and stupid

Surayud: nice grandpa appearance but didn't get anything done

Thaksin: corrupt to the bone, specially in his second term, doing criminal things (war against drugs with 3000 dead)

So while this government might has his faults which government of the last 15 years was better?

Yes the financial terms are so bad that they can still buy 3 subs, among other multi billion baht infrastructure projects.

The infrastructure projects on credit. The subs....every previous government agreed with it: Abhisit, Yingluck.

I can't judge if it is necessary for defense. Without much knowledge it seems to me that buying some very old cheap subs would make more sense. You won't win anything against a major player anyway.

I don't know what the government worries what foreigner think.

Does Putin, Merkel, Kim etc worry what some other countries think?

Erm yes they do. Putin worries as does Merkel. Even Kim worries what the Chinese think or he wouldn't be there.

Also h90 please stop using the clap trap of an excuse regarding Taxsin. Yes he was a bad one, we know that. You are sounding like a broken record trying to justify what those in power here, have done. People are not stupid and we all know the reason why it happened.

But of course we cant say.

"........regarding Taxsin. Yes he was a bad one, we know that"

Do we?

I don't know that, nor does the majority Thai electorate it seems.

This is basically accepting as fact, all the stuff the self-serving anti-democrats spewed out during their orchestrated demonization campaign......All of it trying to justify themselves using the judiciary as the vehicle to launder their political defiance.

The majority electorate of Thailand didn't agree with the above quote, or all the Opposition venom.

I side with the electorate, and not self-centered political forces lashing out at those they could not defeat in an election.

Most Thais who love in a western country are quite embarrassed by the political circus in Thailand, I doubt they would ever say a word. And they certainly would have trouble finding anyone interested.

Yes, I would imagine Thais living in the west for any length of time would realise the reaction the word ' coup ' engenders and how justification would be a very hard sell especially to those who know something of Thailand and their track record of coups.

The infrastructure projects on credit. The subs....every previous government agreed with it: Abhisit, Yingluck.

I can't judge if it is necessary for defense. Without much knowledge it seems to me that buying some very old cheap subs would make more sense. You won't win anything against a major player anyway.

No Government was pro subs, but any civilian Govt here (Dem or PTP) has to pander to the armed forces otherwise they are kicked to touch.

Obviously the Junta also has to pay back 'support' to the Navy.

That is a very poor reading of the situation.Neverthless one accepts that supporters of the military regime will become increasingly hysterical and illogical as its incompetence, corruption and unpopularity becomes more apparent.It's becoming increasingly evident that the Bangkok well educated middle class is in despair at the current debacle.However one must point out dishonesty where it occurs and it of course nonsense to suggest that Thailand's economy was heading to disaster under the last administration.Certainly no reasonable or informed person would deny the economy (all the main indicators including fdi) has deteriorated sharply under the military government.Some of this was inevitable given the macro environment but the loss of confidence arising from the military takeover was a significant factor.The ludicrous comparison to Greece is of course economic illiteracy: in fundamentals Thailand remains quite sound assisted by professional management at key institutions like the Ministry of Finance and BOT.Thai banks remain in very good shape.The challenge is really a strategic one, namely to avoid the middle income trap.

In attempting to defend the coupsters there is the familiar refrain of suggesting there was no coup at all, the government firing on peaceful protestors, the Voldemort mastermind pulling the strings - the usual cacophony of lies and half truths.I have some sympathy because in a forum like this it is all to easy to resort to tired and un thought through explanations.Sometimes however it's necessary to think hard and honestly and not take the easy way of countering opposing views.

We are at 700-1000 billion lost in the rice scam which continued....calculate yourself how long Thailand can do that on top of the usual corruption.

You may deny the shootings and bomb attacks, but the dead people are a fact you can't deny. And even someone who doesn't agree with this form of government (which is no doubt not democratic) must admit that it is best government since 15 years:

Yingluck: total silly and corrupt government, caused huge damages (rice, flooding)

Abhisit: silly and complete ineffective, government not without corruption, bad handling of basically everything (forming the government, Victor Bout, Red Protests, broken promises, etc etc)

Samak: corrupt and stupid

Surayud: nice grandpa appearance but didn't get anything done

Thaksin: corrupt to the bone, specially in his second term, doing criminal things (war against drugs with 3000 dead)

So while this government might has his faults which government of the last 15 years was better?

That is a question that a typical boneheaded Austrian bourgeois might well have posed after the Anschluss in 1938.History gave its answer.

I suppose there is a reasonable school of thought - though I do not subscribe to it - which follows Alexander Pope's dictum:

'For forms of government let fools contest, whate'er is best administered is best"

But even that provides no comfort for the present gang of incompetents, staggering from one self inflicted crisis to another.

No need to explain anything even tho I would like to hear a thai Hooker in Amsterdam Red Light District explain about the Coup to her 10-20 costumers per day :

Ohh he velly velly goood man - he bing happpiiiiness to thai - thai velly special people ... clap2.gif

Most Thais who love in a western country are quite embarrassed by the political circus in Thailand, I doubt they would ever say a word. And they certainly would have trouble finding anyone interested.

Yes, I would imagine Thais living in the west for any length of time would realise the reaction the word ' coup ' engenders and how justification would be a very hard sell especially to those who know something of Thailand and their track record of coups.

The last time we were in Los Angeles (2013), the missus and I stayed in a hotel in a district called "Thaitown", on Hollywood blvd.

We experienced the predominantly Thai population reflecting the two sides of the Political divide here in Thailand. If those from the anti-democratic side over there still support the current state of affairs, I don't know.

We experienced them, as well as attending a gathering of the pro-democracy side at a garden-party in Studio city.

What that experience showed me is that foreign Thai communities often mirror the situation in Thailand...Obviously Internet social media is a contributor to that.

Erm yes they do. Putin worries as does Merkel. Even Kim worries what the Chinese think or he wouldn't be there.

Also h90 please stop using the clap trap of an excuse regarding Taxsin. Yes he was a bad one, we know that. You are sounding like a broken record trying to justify what those in power here, have done. People are not stupid and we all know the reason why it happened.

People aren't stupid - well some actually are. There were many reasons for the coup. A big picture, some more focused issues and, as you note, a very big picture which is not for discussion.

The more openly corrupt and desperate the previous Thaksin government got to cling on to power, bend or ignore the rules, try any means to whitewash him and get him home, the more likely a coup became. Thaksin took a gamble he could hang on to power and push things through. Based on his released recorded comments to the then deputy defense minister, he thought the reaction against his whitewash would be around ten thousand protesters. A huge miscalculation and the resulting deteriorating situation led to the coup.

Peterjackson sums up what's happened since reasonably well.

h90 above has a point though. the rice rotting scheme was a real mess for the country, the important contribution to its economy of exporting rice amongst others was being poisened by inept yinglucky lot, once they had the rice corruption scheme underway, perhaps the next would have been sugar then shrimps. nought to do with greece at all, but a lot to do with export economy which is significant contribution to gdp.

The last time we were in Los Angeles (2013), the missus and I stayed in a hotel in a district called "Thaitown", on Hollywood blvd.

We experienced the predominantly Thai population reflecting the two sides of the Political divide here in Thailand. If those from the anti-democratic side over there still support the current state of affairs, I don't know.

We experienced them, as well as attending a gathering of the pro-democracy side at a garden-party in Studio city.

What that experience showed me is that foreign Thai communities often mirror the situation in Thailand...Obviously Internet social media is a contributor to that.

Was there a pro-criminal dictator side there too?

No, that was before the coup.

Your characterization, not mine.

"........regarding Taxsin. Yes he was a bad one, we know that"

Do we?

I don't know that, nor does the majority Thai electorate it seems.

This is basically accepting as fact, all the stuff the self-serving anti-democrats spewed out during their orchestrated demonization campaign......All of it trying to justify themselves using the judiciary as the vehicle to launder their political defiance.

The majority electorate of Thailand didn't agree with the above quote, or all the Opposition venom.

I side with the electorate, and not self-centered political forces lashing out at those they could not defeat in an election.

Jumping bail, running from a conviction, running from 15 outstanding criminal cases, attempting to bribe judges, making "honest" mistakes in forgetting millions put in servants' bank accounts, changes laws to facilitate the sale of your business and avoid tax on the sale, lending the country's money at low interest to another country so they can buy your own firm's products, extra judicial executions, the disappearance and murder of opponents, running a government when not elected or eligible to stand as a crook on the run, allegedly financing insurgency and terrorism, appearing in videos inciting violence and rioting, creating monopolies to enrich oneself at the expense of the people.

Thaksin - never ever done anything wrong in his life - he even said so on CNN. In fact, he even said his little sister hasn't either. The perfect family.rolleyes.gif

PTP received the largest minority vote, thanks to the very well organized and financed Shin election machine. Not the "majority" lie that gets trotted out.

let's see

the electorate kept voting in the 'wrong' government so the Army took over (again) for the 'good of the people'. The Army thought it a good idea to lock up students, cut health care and spend ONE BILLION US Dollars on submarines they don't need to show 'face' to neighbouring countries

and that, dear readers, is 'Thainess'

Probably true, my heart goes out, but sometimes I wonder why? blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

Those foreigners overseas who are interested in the current situation in Thailand need only to read several books available on the history of Thai politics since 1932 (most banned in Thailand ), it's simply history repeating itself.

Those foreigners overseas who are interested in the current situation in Thailand need only to read several books available on the history of Thai politics since 1932 (most banned in Thailand ), it's simply history repeating itself.

Really? Thanks for letting us know... One would think, because they have been there and done that..... SIMPLY AMAZING!!!!!cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Personally, my wife is ashamed, and admits it..... And yes, I love her for her honesty! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Explain Thailand's problems? Thai people don't seem to understand that everyone outside Thailand doesn't care about Thailand, unless they can gain or lose money.

Now that is what I call a true statement! spot on! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The problem is twofold really, number one is that foreigners have their own real lives and real problems to think about, and don't have the time to listen to a lot of this stuff.

And secondly, Thailand is advertised as a tourist destination, and when you are a tourist you are thinking about things like suncream and planning what historic sites you will visit etc. Most tourists do not want to be thinking about complex political issues, when they are going on holiday to relax and enjoy themselves. Obviously all tourists should be aware of current national laws, local etiquette and other things that will hopefully make their travels problem-free. But beyond noting those basic travel-info facts, they are going on holiday to relax and be happy, which is the opposite of entering the surreal doors-inside-doors realm of politics in some nations.

When someone approaches you and ask you to pee in a bottle that will soon jolt reality. People spend a lot of bucks on a holiday and for some it is a once in a decade experience. The modern traveler is no longer just a brochure browser.

Edited by elgordo38

The standard response would most likely be "My country not the same as your country." That would also be the most accurate response because most countries do not tolerate criminal exiles to call groups of terrorists on Skype and tell them that he will join them in the fight. Of course he wanted them to start without him, and he never did show up.