New Morchit bus terminal moved to Rangsit

webfact

New Morchit bus terminal moved to Rangsit

11733754_10153467744923637_821224621_o-w

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry agrees to move the Morchit northern bus terminal to Rangsit while the existing terminal will serve short distance bus services.

According to the ministry’ permanent secretary Mrs Soithip Trasisuthi, the new Morchit terminal will serve long distant destinations in the North and the Northeast.

The new bus terminal must be on a land with the size of at least 80 rai and must be located either on the left or right side of Phaholyothin road.

The land must be located in north Bangkok but not farther than Thammasat university Rangsit campus, she said.

The present Morchit northern bus terminal will be downsized to 16.43 rai from 70 rai and will serve as a terminal for two types of buses under Category 30.

The present terminal will serve 40 tour buses and Transport Company’s 3,197 passengers vans which currently operate shuttle services from Bangkok to destinations within the 300-kilometre radius.

The Transport Company will return the remaining 53 rai of land at its present Morchit bus terminal to the State Railway of Thailand to build Central Bang Sue railway station.

She expected that the new northern bus terminal in Rangsit could be built and ready to give service in 2017.

Transport Company’s deputy managing director said the company would invite landlords to submit tender to sell land to the company to build the new northern bus terminal this week and expect bidding to be called and finished next month.

Construction of the new bus terminal could begin next year and finish in two years.

The new terminal will give service in 2018, he said.

He said the company has earlier estimated the new bus terminal to cost around four billion baht, but the figure now has to be reassessed after its board has instructed to downsize the terminal from original plan of 150 rai to 80 rai.

The final plan of the downsized terminal will be forwarded to the board for approval this month and later forwarded to the Transport minister for acknowledgement.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-morchit-bus-terminal-moved-to-rangsit

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-08

Right ho. It's going to be up and running in two years. We haven't got the land yet, we don't know which side of the road it will be, but it will be ready in two years. OK.

Has the Transportation Ministry said anything about transportation between Bangkok and Rangsit?

It's about 40 kilometers so a taxi would cost about 290 Baht plus 50 Baht for the expressway out to Din Daeng plus another toll if you take the elevated expressway - say 400 Baht in total.

That's more than the cost of most inter-provincial bus tickets!

What bus lines run to Rangsit? How long is the travel time?

There's an SRT station at Rangsit. What trains run to Ranssit? How far from the station to the new terminal? What transportation is available?

Inquiring minds want to know...

As long as there is a good connection between the new bus station and the airport , carrying luggage, then OK.

NOT OK. Sod the airport, it needs good connection to the city, which does not exist. Why put a bloody bus station on the city outskirts? Answer, of course: because this is Thailand.

Has the Transportation Ministry said anything about transportation between Bangkok and Rangsit?

It's about 40 kilometers so a taxi would cost about 290 Baht plus 50 Baht for the expressway out to Din Daeng plus another toll if you take the elevated expressway - say 400 Baht in total.

That's more than the cost of most inter-provincial bus tickets!

What bus lines run to Rangsit? How long is the travel time?

There's an SRT station at Rangsit. What trains run to Ranssit? How far from the station to the new terminal? What transportation is available?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Living out here I can tell you that it will in all likelihood be on the west side of the highway behind where all the minivans meet. That will make it close to the train station and also near where the BTS will stop .

There is a lot of land there.

As to tpt to and from the city if you want to take a taxi on the toll way then have at it and pay no sympathy here.

A taxi from Future to Mor chit BTS is 200 baht at most. Mini vans that are comfortable are 30 baht.

As to other tpt there are many buses that run from Future to the city and cost at most 25 baht.

The idea in alomsot all cities is to svae many and this is definitely going to save Bkk a ton of money. Personally I like the idea although I do very litle travel on the buses

I would also assume that there will be buses and vans that will take [people to the other terminals

As long as there is a good connection between the new bus station and the airport , carrying luggage, then OK.

Well perhaps Don Mueng won't be too bad, but for the main airport, if it involves a change of transport in the City, that would be hard work.

Integration between various modes of transport here is shambolic. Why the BTS and / or MRT were not terminated at Mo Chit is beyond me, but I guess vested interests took precedence as they clearly did with the siting of many BTS stations.

Sure makes stupid sense. Yea let's move the terminal way out yonder. Don't ban taxes from parking anywhere, and not forced period to get in the queue to drop off or pickup. and or ban minivans from the area clogging the roads all around the area..might offend someone, just make people who may have already been on a bus a number of hours depart to another bus. Don't even think about placing the BUS terminal next to a sky or MRT station, might cut taxi use and allow traffic movement. Best of all, don't even THINK about using what's already there and make improvements, nope just blow a few billion baht.

The correct place for the bus terminal is exactly where it is now, but integrated with that monstrous railway station that's currently under construction (and is the reason the bus depot needs to move anyway) making Bang Sue the transport hub (Thailand likes hubs) with access to the buses, local / long distance SRT, the extended airport link and the metro.

The Red Line is going to Rangsit (opening in 2018) but the station is a long way from the planned (was it planned) bus station.

Again either BTS or train would be one way of a 60 baht taxi

They're in the process of extending BTS our there, but I don't think it's going to be finished in two years. There's a van depot near the Victory Monument BTS station that my late wife and I used to use before her death. I don't know all the destinations they go to, but they do go to Nakhon Sawan, Lopburi, and Saraburi. Departing from BKK is OK, they leave at scheduled time. From Nakhon Sawan to BKK was always annoying to me because they'll wait up to half an hour hoping for another one or two passengers to fill the van.

It must be partly to do with keeping traffic out of the city. Didn't Sai Tai Mai move much further down the road a while back. Partly they don't want thousands of taxis entering where the bus station is now and all the buses coming in and out. I can understand it but they must provide good access to the new location as that will suddenly become very, very busy.

Right ho. It's going to be up and running in two years. We haven't got the land yet, we don't know which side of the road it will be, but it will be ready in two years. OK.

Oh yee of little faith! The probably know the exact piece of land where it will be cited, and more importantly, who owns it whistling.gif

It's a shame they can't move it now, the area around the current station is a real mess. Took us nearly an hour to get onto the expressway last Friday.

I agree, the whole area around Mo Chit 2 is very poorly planned and has been a huge bottleneck due to buses having poor access. This has been a process which has been ongoing for a few years now but the site issue keeps going back and forth

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/653268-bangkoks-mo-chit-2-bus-terminal-to-be-relocated-ahead-of-aec/page-2

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/743015-bangkoks-mo-chit-bus-terminal-to-be-moved-in-3-years/ (see post #5 on the previous land near Zeer)

Muang Thong Thani was considered at one point as was DMK airport before the 2 Airport policy was implemented.

The previous land allowed a direct link to the new SRT Dark Red Line under construction. Hopefully, whatever site is chosen will also do so.

There appears to be much confusion regarding new suburban & metro lines on this thread with some people stating that the BTS is going to Rangsit....which it will not.

This map should assist. You can peruse this thread for further details, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/406991-the-new-skytrain/page-12 (See post #292)

Basically, what you see being built along Vihavadi-Rangsit rd is the first phase of the SRT Dark Red Line (Suburban) which will eventually be nearly 90kms long from Thammasat Uni to Mahachai.

The BTS Light Green line ext from Mo Chit to Kho Kut has been contracted but some design changes are being implemented. It will run north along Phahon Yothin rd to Lam Lukka rd and later be extended east along Lam Lukka rd past the Eastern Ring rd. It will not go to Rangsit.

ka1jyf.jpg

Just to add to the fun, I've recently been approached to do some work for the Red Line Extension from Thammasat (actually Chiang Rak) to Ban Phachi (near where my MiL lives) a major rail junction NE of Ayutthaya.

Wifey is of course delighted but as yet no indication of an operational date.