A Clearer Explanation Of New Visa Regulations

The proposed electronic solution, presumably to be installed at all world-wide checkpoints is truely laughable. It would have to be installed at every international airport in the world, and would need some backup in case the system was off-line. Absolutely totally unuseable IMHO. Hopefully this was just some off-the-cuff remark and no real thought ever went into this solution. If they are seriously considering this, then heaven help us because they'll never find a good solution if they're that far gone.

Didnt you hear the man.. He clearly stated they would

"within 90 days we will try to do something"

and

"We will use that kind of visa where the airline will have to submit the name of the person to our office before to issue the ticket"

:o

Considering they are so concerned about losing face it amazing that ever time they make a statement they tend to make complete <deleted> of themselves.

Bet Thai air is loving this with its ASEAN Multipass tickets !!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may jump ahead after reading only 3 out of 5 pages so far:

If the #1 man at Immigration Police is a three-star Lieutenant General, how can the #2 man be a major? Could he more likely be a Major General? Big difference.

Now, this counting of days is silly. Absurd. Look at your own passport. Stamps on every page, out of order, departure stamps and seals on the arrival side of the page, Nicaragua mixed in with Thailand, almost illegible. Okay, so Thai stamps are triangular and red. Oops, no, they're blue and the...departures are triangular, and the arrivals are red. Mind you, the gate girl at the airport handles people with 174.8 countries of the world in their passports....oh, and we all write dates differently, you know? 2 october 2006 is also 2 de octubre 2006, or 10/2/06 or 2/10/2006, or 2 october 2549...are Israeli passports stamped in Hebrew? My Chinese stamps aren't in Roman at all...oh look, here's a blue triangular stamp from.....Rwanda? Russia? Roritania? How many days in February this year? If you come in at 1:30 am and leave at 23:18 the same day, is it a day? Pachara, where's Honduras? Sahm-sip-et August, chaimai?

Rwanda? Russia? Roritania? How many days in February this year? If you come in at 1:30 am and leave at 23:18 the same day, is it a day? Pachara, where's Honduras? Sahm-sip-et August, chaimai?

Very good !! :o You forgot "Shithappenstania", a very nice little country. To discover urgently.

I guess they are not even going to try, they will either require all passengers to have a tourist visa, or they let you sign some kind of waiver, that the airlines are not responsible for transporting the tourist if he is denied entry into the country.

yeah, the sensible solution to this 'what will the airlines do' tizzy is to just have thailand-bound passengers sign a release. then if some numbnuts counts his own days wrong, his problem.

also, while this does present a challenge for immigration officers, let's keep in mind that you can pretty much flip through a passport, skim the thailand stamps/visas, and get an impression whether someone is a borderline case. if they're smart they'll let most people sail through at the airport and have another line an officer can send you to if someone needs an actual count. that way at least the 90 stamps/90 days types wouldn't hold up the line for others not in the same boat.

Thanks to the people at Sabah for this interview, let's hope this is final.

"The Department of Immigration understands that their will be problems with the new regulations and will review as necessary."

its probably not final but that implies they'll be revise as problems arise and that they do care what impact it has on tourism.

if it will be implemented as described there, that does imply that it really is about not letting so much potential revenue escape in the form of border runs.

wow...

just got back from six weeks in Western China and I come back to this...

I've just read everything here and I've got to say I'm no wiser to what the heck is going on.

Why is it better to count days rather than stamps if you are actually wanting to live here ??

What happens to the legality of all those who have signed 6 month or more leases on apartments they now can't stay in for more than 90 days?

anyone??

wow...

just got back from six weeks in Western China and I come back to this...

I've just read everything here and I've got to say I'm no wiser to what the heck is going on.

Why is it better to count days rather than stamps if you are actually wanting to live here ??

What happens to the legality of all those who have signed 6 month or more leases on apartments they now can't stay in for more than 90 days?

anyone??

For someone living in Thailand, and who always stays 30 days before getting a new stamp, it doesn't help you any. It mainly helps us frequent travellers who come very often to Thailand but don't live here. However, if you're living in Thailand and a friend or family member comes to Thailand to see you and says, "hey, let's go to Cambodia for the weekend" right after you just did a visa run, then it does affect you as counting days still gets you 90 days, but counting stamps would mean you'd only have a bit more than 60 days in that case.

Edited by Soju

Nearly nothing.

They just have to ask for a tourist visa after 3 months

and they can stay here as long as they wish with repeated "3 visa-run + 1 tourist visa + extension"

Pattaya46

It probably makes no difference if one is wanting to live here. The concern about number of stamps versus number of days is more in regards casual visitors to Thailand, for example, a Singaporean who visits for a weekend regularly every month.

Nothing. Those in this boat leave the contry every so often, obtain a tourist visa, and they are just fine. This could actually work out to their benefit. Rather than need to cross the border every thirty days, they obtain a tourist visa outside Thailand and extend that sixty day entry for another thirty days at an immigrations office. Less trips to the border overall. :o

1-what about the "official" target to "fight the foreigners who are working illegaly without work permit" ?

Was it a dream ? A collective hallucination ?

With the beautifull system presented by the Major in his interview on Kaosanroad.com, where is the fight ? You do 3x30 + visa + extension, and then do it again ! Brilliant.

well if they can stick to something like this and make it work, their strategy is to collect money on visas and extensions rather than income tax. if that is indeed the case, then it looks like they'll win--the average khee nok illegal english teacher will pay more per year for 'tourist' visas and extensions than they would ever have in income tax.

no more of this ten-years-of-border-runs-and-the-thai-gov't-doesnt-see-a-cent stuff.

About the airline topic:

The Immigration Department know that there will be a huge problem with the airlines. In short, under the new rule any airline that flies on BKK doesn't know when a passenger is up to his 'quota'. Under IATA rules, the airline is responsible for the passenger.

The Immigration knows this and is working hard to come up with a solution. They already have some things in progress. (electronic visa and/or a system that airlines have to sent their passenger list upfront to BKK. Something that is being done in other countries like the USA). We heard this also from Mr. Suppachai, during the interview in Sabah Cafe and Cinema. Mr. Suppachai stated very clearly that they have 90 days to come up with a solution. (refering to the 90 days rule, starting from oct 1st).

It doesn't make any sense to speculate about how Immigration is going to solve this problem, since we don't know what it is going to be. What i wrote above, was told by Mr Suppachai in answer to our questions.

One more thing: Mr Suppachai stated very clearly that the days will be counted. The Immigration system is capable of counting the days. For example: you fly up and down to BKK in the next 3 months. Being only a couple days or weeks in the country. It is possible you can have for example 5 stamps but still be less than 90 days in the country.

For a full report on the visa regulations topic, please read the report from the meeting that was held at Sabah Cafe and Cinema. Visit khaosarnroad.com.

About the airline topic:

The Immigration Department know that there will be a huge problem with the airlines. In short, under the new rule any airline that flies on BKK doesn't know when a passenger is up to his 'quota'. Under IATA rules, the airline is responsible for the passenger.

The Immigration knows this and is working hard to come up with a solution. They already have some things in progress. (electronic visa and/or a system that airlines have to sent their passenger list upfront to BKK. Something that is being done in other countries like the USA). We heard this also from Mr. Suppachai, during the interview in Sabah Cafe and Cinema. Mr. Suppachai stated very clearly that they have 90 days to come up with a solution. (refering to the 90 days rule, starting from oct 1st).

It doesn't make any sense to speculate about how Immigration is going to solve this problem, since we don't know what it is going to be. What i wrote above, was told by Mr Suppachai in answer to our questions.

One more thing: Mr Suppachai stated very clearly that the days will be counted. The Immigration system is capable of counting the days. For example: you fly up and down to BKK in the next 3 months. Being only a couple days or weeks in the country. It is possible you can have for example 5 stamps but still be less than 90 days in the country.

For a full report on the visa regulations topic, please read the report from the meeting that was held at Sabah Cafe and Cinema. Visit khaosarnroad.com.

thanks for keeping us up to date.... the dearth of clear information has caused quite a hairball on here.

do let mr. Suppachai know that the TV stink tank has tons o' wonderful ideas for how the airline can handle this, we're always ready.

One more thing: Mr Suppachai stated very clearly that the days will be counted. The Immigration system is capable of counting the days.

Depends how you say it..

Yes I agree it is possible for them to count the days.. However I dont think its possible to count everyones days within the time and workload constraints of shuffling 1000's of passengers through thier new airport.

So as I have said from day 1.. If its days it will be randomly checked and selectively enforced.. Perhaps even giveing them a further entry for only 7 or 14 days.. That gets airlines off the hook and also helps to enforce and black mark the over 90 day border runners.

As far as I know both the arrival and the departure day are counted now for the 30 Days.

Do the new regulations mean that the day you do a traditional Visa run will be counted twice in the future?

Example: Arr Sept 1 Dep. Sept 30 --> 30 Days

Arr. Sept 30 Dep. October 29 -- 30 Days

From September 1 to October 29 ---> 59 Days.

Another possible reason for confusion: What will happen to a frequent tourist, coming in say approx. for 2 weeks every month?

Suppose he has 75 Days within the last 5 month. Does he now get a 30 Day stamp, effectively allowing him to overdo his 90 Day allowance? Or will he get a 15 Day Stamp? Or nothing at all?

Sunny

This is what I got in my passport today (Vientiane, Laos).

"Remark: The holder of this passport travels to Thailand under A tourist visa several times which may result in the refusal of a visa in the future."

I've stayed in Thailand for 1 year and entered with 4 Tourist visas and only 3 times wihout visa. As I understand of the new rule I should be able to continue as I've done for the past year without problem..But why did they stamp my passport with that?

Is it strange that the wording of this stamp

"Holder of this passport has visited Thailand too many times as a tourist and may be refused a visa next time."

Is different from this one?

Remark: The holder of this passport travels to Thailand under A tourist visa several times which may result in the refusal of a visa in the future.

Hmm.. the tourist visas (at least the single entry versions) we thought would remain easy to use, even back to back, are now being limited...

(at least if we believe the new stamps). Cheers!

hmmmmmm

I talked with the IO's at Ranong today <known not to be the friendliestof places> they said no sweat with the tourist visa then border-runs scenario .....

<am stilloff to Oz to renew/ errr get a new non-imm visa

Hmm.. the tourist visas (at least the single entry versions) we thought would remain easy to use, even back to back, are now being limited...

I would imagine that some of the Thai consular offices are even more in the dark than we are as to any visa changes that may be afoot, hence some of these offices being perhaps more strict than they really need to be. I'm sure the situation will smooth itself out over time as the policies become clearer, but the current confusion will no doubt cause some short-term problems.

gent's pls. try to understand. the vientiane consul, i know from experience, HAS been refusing to grant tourist visas to those with a certain no. of previously granted tourist visas. through this forum, it has been said the same of phnom penh. even los angeles has changed the issuance of triple entries to double. as has been already alluded to, penang will issue a one entry tourist visa at this time. best of luck, cheers

This is what I got in my passport today (Vientiane, Laos).

"Remark: The holder of this passport travels to Thailand under A tourist visa several times which may result in the refusal of a visa in the future."

I've stayed in Thailand for 1 year and entered with 4 Tourist visas and only 3 times wihout visa. As I understand of the new rule I should be able to continue as I've done for the past year without problem..But why did they stamp my passport with that?

after reading this post I decided to look in my passport and check my tourist visa I got from laos in early july.

Low and behold I have the exact red stamp stating the same thing.

This was only my second tourist visa in my passport and I got this red stamp remark.

I do have many voa in my passport.I do alot of traveling in and out of thailand.

The embassy in laos also told me not to come back for any more tourist visa.

This seems to be existing policy rather then new.

Here's a pic of the stamp.

post-28621-1158670650_thumb.jpg

Can you scan the page with the stamp on it and put the scanned page in this thread?

Maybe we could clarify this through an immigration official if they can view the exact stamp.

I returned from Savannakhet in Laos yesterday. The Consul says that she is now only issuing 60 Day Single Entry visas, and she can only issue two per year to any individual.

[

hmmmmmm

I talked with the IO's at Ranong today <known not to be the friendliestof places> they said no sweat with the tourist visa then border-runs scenario .....

<am stilloff to Oz to renew/ errr get a new non-imm visa

what does it mean, can you translate it in simple english ?