What is life like in Lop Buri?

Norlund

I'm a Norwegian living in Maha Sarakham province for the past 15 years. For some foreigners it may seem strange but I love Isaan and the people who live there. But now II have met a lady that comes from Bang Khan Mak in Lop Buri and she wants to go back when she has finished her education. I went there last week for one day and I liked what I saw. What I understand there is no real nightlife like we have in Maha Sarakham. For me that is no problem, A friendly lady, a couple of farlang/thai friends and some botles of beers is enough for me. In Maha Sarakham there is very few foreigners so I'm used to be living in a "Thai world". Can someone tell me a little bit about the place and what it's like to live there.

Suggest you spend more time there before you move full time.

Glad your used to quiet, the main problem is the Bloody Monkeys after a few weeks they will drive you mad. Oh at first they will seem funny/cute then you will find out they are the biggest pest you'll find anywhere stealing anything that's not locked up. Don't even think of going into town for a romantic beer or meal because all will be a goner before you can look at the menu.

Best of luck.

Hi,

i'm living in LopBuri nearly 2 years and can't complain. With the monkeys is correct but monkeys only in certain areas in town the rest is monkey free.

LopBuri have all big supermarkets (Tesco and Bic C) Robinson will start soon as well. If you like to do something by yourself at your home you have 2 builder supplier (ThaiWatsaDu and Global). I personal like LopBuri because housing prices OK, rent as well and it's only 1:20 from Bangkok. If you don't like to drive by yourself you can catch the train for 30 baht or use an van service for 120 baht.

If you have the chance stay here for a few week before you make your decision.

Best of luck.

I lived in lopburi 4.5 years, yeah i really miss it. I had nothing to deal with these monkeys becouse the are only in the old part at the train station. There is a lot of army, .... I had a good time there. If your there ask for the teak wooden house near the monkey mall, baahn mai sak. And reply me if it still there. It did catch fire once and lost a building. I do miss it .... Good luck moving there.

Back in the day Lo Buriwas the US Special Forces enclave...............training base for Khmer & Tai SF, Airborne school - also had an 'Adventure Training Camp for the rest of the Usarsupthai forces...........I oy stayed there for two weeks, it was "Real Thailand" but ya gotta love the locals and I am sure there are a few old Snake Eaters left "living the dream". Might give it a visit myself...........Tesco & Big C?? Boggle my mind just thinking about it, but of course, I can still remember being able to see the whole Beach from North Pattaya to almost Nha Glua. rolleyes.gif

Baan Mai Sak is still there,as it was built illegally ,it will probably never get lived in,built by one of the richest guy in town ,owner of Lopburi Motors ,a large motorcycle dealership.

Why live in the town,20-30 minutes out of town is countryside ,and no monkeys, Sublec,is nice, past Minne Bear, going on to the dam at Pattana Nikom,or going out to Ban Mee is nice .

Rent should be cheaper than in town,that is if you like the countryside,and your lady dose not have a lot of family in town.

Robinsons in town where is that going to be,along with the rest on the road going in to town ,near Big C. I suppose.

Remind me not to drive with you ,bkk 1.20 hours from Lopburi,try that at 9.00am.

Yeah thats right, near the dam at the lake " aang sap lek" thats a cool place. I lived just behind baahn mai sak before, and that was nice. In winter times you get a cool breeze from the mountains at the air force base. But i think you should stay out of the city itself. Not to close to pra phuttahbat, becouse they still blow up these mountains for stone and granite mining, can be very dusty and loud.

Just past Para Puttabart is ,Na-Par-Lan,some years ago it was known as the dirtiest town in Thailand with all the dust from cement works and quarries and the crap

from the chicken factory ,they use to say Bangkok was built from Saraburi,and Saraburi was such a dirty place ,they were trying to move it, out the way, down to Bangkok.

Stick to Ang Sub Lec,the mountains they are very picturesque, they were featured on Thai tv last year ,when they were doing a piece on sunflowers,near they is a temple ,and a cave where at dusk bats fly out .

Lived their for 5 months in 94-95. New English school.

Disaster. Wasn't getting paid. Farang boss smashed up the school one night. Thai boss smacked his wife at the dinner table on Christmas evening. Also threatened her with a machete in front of students and parents.

So many more memories.

Seemed OK at the time. Barry the bobby's lunches at his restaurant up the road from the school. Superb. But I was 24. Now…would be a bit too boring.

Archived