Defibrillator Costs?

Saan

I have an elderly friend who is in arrhythmia but won't go to hospital. He is on a pretty slender budget and says he cannot afford the defibrillator. It is knocking him around and I am concerned he might end up with a stroke.

Anyone have any idea what the costs are?

Well, here's an internet site where you can order one from the U.K., starting at about 1000 pounds sterling with free shipping. I'd suggest opting for them to ship via Royal Post because it would be less likely to incur attention from customs coming into Thailand vs. shipping via UPS. http://www.defibshop.co.uk/defibrillators?p=1

Seriously -- your friend needs to be evaluated by a competent cardiologist and University Hospital, sometimes called Suan Dok Hospital or Maharaj Hospital is the cheapest and best place to do this. If he's currently in arrhythmia, a trip to their emergency room might be a good idea. Depending upon the specific type of arrhythmia, it's possible that he could continue to live with it, provided he takes appropriate medications. Is he doing this? Often, arrhythmias can even be reversed with medications or other non-invasive techniques.

If left untreated, someone with arrhythmia can have a stroke. Since he's on a slender budget -- does he have the funds for long-term care as a stroke victim?

Call Ram they have equipped trucks for cardio emergencies.

This is not a good options for someone on a slender budget. If he's able, it would just be better to get in a tuk-tuk and get over to the Suan Dok hospital emergency room.

Someone in cardiac arrhythmia isn't having a heart attack. The OP's friend knows he has a problem and probably has been aware of it for a time -- shortness of breath, dizzyness, fatigue, irregular or fast heartbeat, fluid retention, difficulty sleeping, etc.

He has medicine which he takes as a preventative and ups the dose when he experiences fibrillation. This time it has not worked and he has been bed ridden for over two weeks. He wanted to get an indication of the cost before he goes to hospital so he is able to pay.

He has medicine which he takes as a preventative and ups the dose when he experiences fibrillation. This time it has not worked and he has been bed ridden for over two weeks. He wanted to get an indication of the cost before he goes to hospital so he is able to pay.

If he's that desperate he should think about how he's going to pay for the funeral.

Saan, if he has been bed-ridden for over two weeks due to arrhythmia, he needs to get to the Suan Dok emergency room immediately. Did a doctor tell him that if the medicine does work, he'll need to have a defibrillator implanted? Well, this time he needs to be evaluated by a doctor and his heart must be stabilized. Then he needs to explore what his options are to stay in rhythm. Often it can be done with drugs or less expensive procedures like ablation.

If your friend drinks alcohol (more than 1 or 2 drinks a day) or smokes, he needs to stop these activities immediately. They aren't doing his heart rhythm any good at all.

If he's that desperate he should think about how he's going to pay for the funeral.

He won't have to pay for the funeral (someone else will), but he will have to pay for continuing care if he's incapacitated due to a stroke, which is what can happen when you don't resolve a cardiac arrhythmia problem.

Edited by NancyL

Saan, if he has been bed-ridden for over two weeks due to arrhythmia, he needs to get to the Suan Dok emergency room immediately. Did a doctor tell him that if the medicine does work, he'll need to have a defibrillator implanted? Well, this time he needs to be evaluated by a doctor and his heart must be stabilized. Then he needs to explore what his options are to stay in rhythm. Often it can be done with drugs or less expensive procedures like ablation.

If your friend drinks alcohol (more than 1 or 2 drinks a day) or smokes, he needs to stop these activities immediately. They aren't doing his heart rhythm any good at all.

Actually it was caused by medicine prescribed by a doctor. It was only afterwards that he realized that he should not be prescribed it. The doctor was aware that he was taking medicine to prevent fibrillation.

I'm sorry, Saan, I didn't mean to imply that your friend may have caused his arrhythmia due to smoking or drinking. Whatever the cause, if he's been bedridden for two weeks because of it, he needs to get in to see a cardiologist ASAP!

I'm sorry, Saan, I didn't mean to imply that your friend may have caused his arrhythmia due to smoking or drinking. Whatever the cause, if he's been bedridden for two weeks because of it, he needs to get in to see a cardiologist ASAP!

No offence Nancy, I appreciate your help. I know there are any number of causes of fibrillation including asthma. But alcohol is a pretty common one.

You'd think with all the old codgers on TV at least one of them would have had the big zap and know the cost.

Saan, the cheapest and best option is the emergency room at Suan Dok hospital, it's the University teaching hospital, sometimes called Majaraj Hospital. No point in going around to several hospitals and asking the cost for "the big zap".

For starters -- if he's in an emergency, they may use the defibrillator in the E/R. Otherwise, they'll probably want to admit him to stabilize him, and try a chemical cardio version with IV drugs before they use a defibrillator. There are other techniques, for example an ablation that they may recommend once his rhymn is normal to prevent this problem in the future. It's not just a matter of running in and having the paddles applied to his chest and then leaving. They don't have a price list for this the way there's a price list for, say, cholesterol testing.

I know several people who have had cardio versions here because of heart rhythm problems. In every case, they were admitted to the hospital and chemical cardio version was attempted before defibrillation was considered. Some arrhythmias respond very well to IV drugs administered by a doctor -- no need to bring out the paddles!

Edited by NancyL

Well, here's an internet site where you can order one from the U.K., starting at about 1000 pounds sterling with free shipping. I'd suggest opting for them to ship via Royal Post because it would be less likely to incur attention from customs coming into Thailand vs. shipping via UPS. http://www.defibshop.co.uk/defibrillators?p=1

Seriously -- your friend needs to be evaluated by a competent cardiologist and University Hospital, sometimes called Suan Dok Hospital or Maharaj Hospital is the cheapest and best place to do this. If he's currently in arrhythmia, a trip to their emergency room might be a good idea. Depending upon the specific type of arrhythmia, it's possible that he could continue to live with it, provided he takes appropriate medications. Is he doing this? Often, arrhythmias can even be reversed with medications or other non-invasive techniques.

If left untreated, someone with arrhythmia can have a stroke. Since he's on a slender budget -- does he have the funds for long-term care as a stroke victim?

I have arrythmia and the most important medice to take is anti co-agulants (warfarin) they cost very litlle but he must be monitored every few weeks to adjust the dose. Ther is a fantastic cardiologist in Soi 13 or 17 Nihamannnende and he charges very little.

I have arrythmia and the most important medice to take is anti co-agulants (warfarin) they cost very litlle but he must be monitored every few weeks to adjust the dose. Ther is a fantastic cardiologist in Soi 13 or 17 Nihamannnende and he charges very little.

Yes, sometimes people live long-term with heart arrythmia -- depending on the type of arrythmia. But, they're put on medications and monitored very closely by doctors, as Gamini is wisely doing. Warfarin is a standard in these situations and often people with arrythmia take meds for high blood pressure and diuretics, also. All are very cheap here.

I hope Saan's friend got to the hospital and met a cardiologist professor he liked. These professors usually have after hour clinics in store front locations and once Saan's friend is discharged, he may find it more convenient to go to the professor's after hours clinic to have his medications and condition monitored. Never again should he go two weeks knowing he's got a problem and bedridden.