How to transfer stamps to new passport on Retirement Extension

Yes, I've had two friends arrive on Tourist Visas then do the conversion to a Non Imm O Visa, then the extension at BKK.

Problem they had is that when they moved to another Immigration office, they refused to do 90 day reports, even though they correctly notified new addresses and had the receipts of notification. They said they would have to do them in BKK.

Apparently they weren't happy that the extensions were issued without the required funds being in a Thai bank for 3 months.

One posted his 90 day to BKK, but as he had moved they told him to go back to his local office (who had just refused).

They both cross the border every 90 days now until they can do their next extensions locally.

Last year, I moved to Chonburi. Passport expired and retirement visa was issued in Phuket. I had to travel to Phuket for the transfer of the retirement visa to the new passport.

That is interesting because Phuket immigration do not issue "Retirement Visas".

Didn't they used to do conversions to 90 day O visas as part of the two step process for those who would qualify for the second step ... the retirement extension?

I have such a "conversion" issued by Phuket immigration, some years ago, in my passport !

It is not a "Retirement Visa"

I have now been in Thailand for a number of years but have never succeeded in obtaining one of these mystical "retirement visas"! smile.png

Nothing mystical....The Retirement Visa simply must be applied for outside Thailand at the Thai Embassy in the home country of the applicant. Required is a clean medical report, clean criminal Police report, 800k fixed deposit or a combination of a lesser cash deposit plus a verified monthly income from outsideof Thailand, and a permanent address in Thailand. The obvious trap is the cash deposit which is supposed to be verified by the Thai Bank. That requires a prior visit to set up. Which Thai Immigration may see as a way to eliminate ad hoc first timers coming on a whim. However I did get away with a faxed copy of an ATM slip in my application.

Once achieved it seems to me to avoid the annual drama of a marriage visa.

Once achieved it seems to me to avoid the annual drama of a marriage visa.

No such thing as a 'marriage Visa'. You get an 'extension of your permission to stay' based on marriage.

But I understand your sentiments about the drama.

For doing a new passport transfer with an existing retirement extension stamp, what EXACTLY do they do in the new passport?

Indication for the ORIGINAL O visa?

Indication for the currently valid retirement extension?

In Hua Hin they demand five hundred baht , on complaining all the clerks chime in its a service charge but we not give a receipt for this, I complained loud and clear, the immigration guy then switched pens from a biro to a fountain pen, trying to exit shortly afterwards at swampy I got pulled in and it took two hours to get out and convince them my passport was genuine, it was they who told me fountain pens are taboo and are never used. But hey this is Thailand and corruption is illegal.

Give me a break, I lived in Phuket since 2002, on retirement visa's..

Look at the Visa you entered Thailand on................red stamp 'USED'.

Please read the stamp that you received at Phuket Immigration.

RETIREMENT

Extension of stay permitted up to.................

Holder must leave the Kingdom within the date specified herein. Offenders will be prosecuted.

To keep your stay permit, re-entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand

Notification of residence must be made every 90 days.

You do not need to have the Retirement Extension moved to the new passport, you are perfectly entitled to leave it in the old passport and simply show both when you exit and enter Thailand.

You fill out the Immigration form with all of the details of the new passport, along with the Visa Reference Number from the Retirement Extension in the old one and, you simply hand the Officer both passports.

I took advice when I had to get a new passport (old one was full) and I have been using both passports for six months without any problem at all.

So this basically contradicts, what others have written. Can anyone confirm, as no-one wants to show up at the airport for a trip and be turned back due to mistaken paperwork....

You do not need to have the Retirement Extension moved to the new passport, you are perfectly entitled to leave it in the old passport and simply show both when you exit and enter Thailand.

You fill out the Immigration form with all of the details of the new passport, along with the Visa Reference Number from the Retirement Extension in the old one and, you simply hand the Officer both passports.

I took advice when I had to get a new passport (old one was full) and I have been using both passports for six months without any problem at all.

What do you mean by "formally" change the address? I never filled out a form, but I informed the new address at the 90 day and was given the barcoded insert in passport and told to use from now on....thanks....

The transfer of the retirement visa must be done at the issuing office ie. Chang Wattana. This must be done before you depart. They basicaly transfer (copy) all the information as written in the old passport, there is form # for that. Once that is done you can apply for the extension of stay, when required.

Visas are not transferred only an extension of stay can be transferred.

The transfer can be done at the office where you are living if you formally change your address to the area they serve. The OP has apparently done that since he has done a 90 day report at Jomtien already,

So this basically contradicts, what others have written. Can anyone confirm, as no-one wants to show up at the airport for a trip and be turned back due to mistaken paperwork....

There have been reports of people having problems when leaving the country. He perhaps was just lucky.

But my question would be why not spend the small amount of time it takes to have the stamps transferred rather than having to deal with 2 passports.

Normally the old passport is, or is made invalid, so only active visas are usable (extensions of stay are not visas and do not allow new entry in any case). When it can be done is return from overseas where the new passport was obtained and no opportunity to visit immigration for transfer.

What do you mean by "formally" change the address? I never filled out a form, but I informed the new address at the 90 day and was given the barcoded insert in passport and told to use from now on....thanks....

The transfer of the retirement visa must be done at the issuing office ie. Chang Wattana. This must be done before you depart. They basicaly transfer (copy) all the information as written in the old passport, there is form # for that. Once that is done you can apply for the extension of stay, when required.

Visas are not transferred only an extension of stay can be transferred.

The transfer can be done at the office where you are living if you formally change your address to the area they serve. The OP has apparently done that since he has done a 90 day report at Jomtien already,

Formally change address.

Requires the foreigner to complete a TM 28 form (Change of address)

Requires the landlord, house owner to complete a TM30 form (Notification of Alien residing at that address)

Sounds like you had a nice officer who completed the TM28 on your behalf and stapled the receipt in your passport.

Some will get new passports whilst visiting their home Country.

Entering Thailand with two passports won't be a problem in that case provided you have a re-entry permit to keep your extension valid.

The old Passport is invalid and your extension is not a Visa. The re-entry permit in your old passport though is still valid, along with your new passport

I would recommend you get the stamps transferred to your new passport at the latest when your next 90 day report is due.

Trying to exit Thailand on two passports could cause holdups and complications.