Crusading Phuketwan Website Shuts Down as Journalists Face Thai Court

Lite Beer

Crusading Phuketwan Website Shuts Down as Journalists Face Thai Court

By Lindsay Murdoch, South East Asia Correspondent, Fairfax Media

1397785393453.jpg

Alan Morison, a former senior Age editor, and Chutima face up to seven years' jail on charges

that relate to a single paragraph republished in Phuketwan in July 2013 from a Reuters report

on Rohingya refugees. File photo.

SYDNEY: Australian journalist Alan Morison has been forced to shut down his crusading news website in Thailand as he and a Thai colleague face trial on serious criminal charges on Tuesday.

The award-winning Phuketwan site has led reporting on the plight of Rohingya in Myanmar, who have been described by the United Nations as among the world's most persecuted people.

Morison, 67, has announced that Phuketwan will close this week and may never resume because of uncertainty over unprecedented criminal defamation charges brought against him and colleague Chutima Sidasathian by the Royal Thai Navy.

"We feel committed to make a stance for a free media in Thailand," Morison said.

"We are content to leave the decision to Thai justice, although some people have concerns about the potential for a negative outcome," he said.

"This case was wrong from the beginning, with one or two officers acting on bad advice."

Morison, a former senior Age editor, and Chutima face up to seven years' jail on charges that relate to a single paragraph republished in Phuketwan in July 2013 from a Reuters report on Rohingya refugees.

Reuters subsequently won a Pulitzer prize for its reporting on Rohingya that included the paragraph.

But the Royal Thai Navy only laid charges over the Phuketwan republication, prompting widespread criticism that it has singled out a small independent news outlet that had broken numerous stories on the plight of the Rohingya over seven years.

Morison's Phuketwan website led reporting on people trafficking through Thailand.

Chutima had worked as a paid fixer for Reuters on its Rohingya coverage and introduced Reuters reporters to news sources.

Morison and Chutima recently sent a letter to Thai authorities expressing "deep regret" at what had transpired but insist an apology is not warranted.

"We have no intention of apologising for something that we haven't done," Morison said. "This is a matter of important principle."

Eight human rights groups, including Human Rights Watch and Amnesty, and journalist groups last week appealed to Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha to drop the charges, saying in a joint letter the legal action threatens the right to freedom of opinion and expression that is supposed to be the bedrock of Thailand's democratic society.

They said the use of the Computer Crime Act in the case was particularly troubling because it was the first time that one of Thailand's armed services had used it against journalists.

The Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA), which represents Australian journalists, and the Federation of Journalists, which represents more than 600,000 journalists worldwide, have commissioned senior Brisbane barrister Mark Plunkett to observe the trial on the resort island of Phuket that is expected to be held over three days.

A verdict is expected in about a month.

Media organisations and human rights groups say there has been a steady decline in press freedom in Thailand since the country's army, then led by Mr Prayuth, staged a coup to topple Thailand's democratically-elected government in May last year.

Source: http://phuketwan.com/tourism/crusading-phuketwan-website-shuts-journalists-face-thai-court-22817/

--PhuketWan 2015-07-12

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting on how many subjects this country tries to bring up other nations against it. Soon there will be just one friend left. However, the real value of this friendship will only be recognized after the friendly take over by the "Big C" is completed.

Edited by Lupatria

Interesting on how many subjects this country tries to bring up other nations against it. Soon there will be just one friend left. However, the real value of this friendship will only be recognized after the friendly take over by the "Big C" is completed.

" Big C" ?

" Big C" ?

Zanzibar.

If Thailand does inprison these journalists for exercising freedom of speech, then there will be serious repercussions for the country.

Thailand is already on thin ice with both the EU & US, and it continues to act with impunity on other violations. There is now concern that the country is joining the ranks of other repressive regimes upheld in Iran, Mayanmar & North Korea, where similar tactics of silencing the media also take place.

The world will be watching closely on the outcome of the trial of Phuketwan journalists.

I thought links to and materials from phuketwan are a violation of forum rules.

You may wish to refresh your knowledge of the rules, particularly this :-

In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

The Australian government, through DFAT, had made representations to Thai authorities on Morison's behalf without success.

I wish him and his colleague, all the best, both brave people.

Edited by simple1

There's a 1000's things I'd like to say, but let's sum it up as saying the people bringing these charges and prosecuting these two nice people are disgusting.

The worst part is these weren't even their words, but a simple cut and paste from one of the most respected sources of news in the world.

Edited by oneday

If Thailand does inprison these journalists for exercising freedom of speech, then there will be serious repercussions for the country.

Thailand is already on thin ice with both the EU & US, and it continues to act with impunity on other violations. There is now concern that the country is joining the ranks of other repressive regimes upheld in Iran, Mayanmar & North Korea, where similar tactics of silencing the media also take place.

The world will be watching closely on the outcome of the trial of Phuketwan journalists.

I sincerely hope you are right, but I am afraid nobody outside of Thailand is paying attention to this case and the outcome.

Maybe in 5 years the final straw is added and repercussions by US/EU are implemented, and only then people will look back and remember this case (which is to late for the people concerned who will be rotting in jail by then)

" Big C" ?

Zanzibar.

Baboon, your reply made my day! clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

""threatens the right to freedom of opinion and expression that is supposed to be the bedrock of Thailand's democratic society."

What democratic society? It disappeared a couple of years ago when the army took over and there is no right to opinion and expression anymore. They even want to give jounalists lessons on how to ask questions that dont offend the rulers !!

As far as I can see the "world" doen't know nor does it care about freedom of speech or human rights in Thailand or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

Some sections care more than others but they are paid to care and interfere.

Go online to any one of thousands of newspapers, local, national and international, go to any of thousands of blog sites, web sites etc in 100 countries and ask this simple question:

"What do you think about the trial of the Phuketwan journalists"? Don't give ANY information before you ask the question and see what responses you get.

If even 1% of the people asked know anything about it I would be surprised.

It would be nice to think that the whole world does care but in reality it doesn't.

About time that bell end was locked up, his out spoken/biased reporting is shocking at best. Offers a comment section to his media reports then slags off folk for having an opinion that differs from his. The fact that his pride is coming before an apology and as a result a jail sentence just about sums the tool up!!

Edited by Rickster

As far as I can see the "world" doen't know nor does it care about freedom of speech or human rights in Thailand or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

Go online to any one of thousands of newspapers, local, national and international, go to any of thousands of blog sites, web sites etc in 100 countries and ask this simple question:

"What do you think about the trial of the Phuketwan journalists"? Don't give ANY information before you ask the question and see what responses you get.

It would be nice to think that the whole world does care but in reality it doesn't.

I have a feeling your belief on the 1% is flawed as journalists all over the world are very interested in their right to continue to do what they do, their freedom to report the truth.

The US in their TIP report have mentioned the two from PW as their case is complicit in the failure to adequately enforce people trafficking in Thailand.

""threatens the right to freedom of opinion and expression that is supposed to be the bedrock of Thailand's democratic society."

What democratic society? It disappeared a couple of years ago when the army took over and there is no right to opinion and expression anymore. They even want to give jounalists lessons on how to ask questions that dont offend the rulers !!

Really ?.

It seems to me that we are getting a LOT more articles which are critical of the government than I ever saw against Pheu-Thai despite their absolutely outrageous actions while in government.

A thinking man would put it down to the fact that Mr T and his pals have cronies in every organisation which might be useful. In Thailand virtually everyone can be bought. As we saw with the 310:0 amnesty vote.

Is that 'freedom of expression' you miss ?. Along with the right to be blown up by their UDD thugs throwing grenades if you look like you are going threaten their power ?.

In your naivety, I expect you think this would never have happened before the coup. The reality is that there is far more chance the government will take action now than there ever was before.

The Australian government, through DFAT, had made representations to Thai authorities on Morison's behalf without success.

I wish him and his colleague, all the best, both brave people.

yes very brave.To live a peaceful life here you have to keep your mouth shut and your head down,same in Laos and Cambodia.and keep an ample amount of local currency in your pocket for the eventual bribe to keep you out of the lockup!

About time that bell end was locked up, his out spoken/biased reporting is shocking at best. Offers a comment section to his media reports then slags off folk for having an opinion that differs from his. The fact that his pride is coming before an apology and as a result a jail sentence just about sums the tool up!!

The charges he & his colleague have nothing to do with his style of reporting. he was referring to a Reuters report. As outlined in the OP, a global news agency the government has not taken to Court; rather, vindictively, a small privately owned local media company.

The two of them have taken an ethical stance for which they would be fully aware of a possible harsh sentence; that's their informed decision. There are significant issues at play, IMO it's wrong to critique the two at this juncture based upon a personal dislike.

Edited by simple1

Really ?.

It seems to me that we are getting a LOT more articles which are critical of the government than I ever saw against Pheu-Thai despite their absolutely outrageous actions while in government.

A thinking man would put it down to the fact that Mr T and his pals have cronies in every organisation which might be useful. In Thailand virtually everyone can be bought. As we saw with the 310:0 amnesty vote.

Is that 'freedom of expression' you miss ?. Along with the right to be blown up by their UDD thugs throwing grenades if you look like you are going threaten their power ?.

In your naivety, I expect you think this would never have happened before the coup. The reality is that there is far more chance the government will take action now than there ever was before.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif . Do you really believe that drivel???

I don't think Thailand needs to worry too much about US regarding crackdown on journalists, considering the miserable non reaction to oppression in Egypt (I'm a yank, btw). Thai non coverage of stories about Thailand: trial Koh Tao, refugees, etc.... my gf is average news follower, and has yet to see report... Trial? What trial? "No news is good news". When will they come for us? Perhaps we are not worth the bother... no, for sure not worth bother

...doesn't seem to have been be shut down as yet?

- or maybe all that's happened is it's ISP has been made to filter it out from thai-resident eyes... (o)(o)

Morison, 67, has announced that Phuketwan will close this week and may never resume because of uncertainty over unprecedented criminal defamation charges brought against him and colleague Chutima Sidasathian by the Royal Thai Navy.

News sources from around the world have this story on their websites including, the guardian, reuters, abc, huffington post, cnn, voice of america, al jazeera, rfl world.

I can only assume you live in a bubble.