Cadbury's Dairy Milk - What have they done!?

My mum is here in Thailand and she bought some Cadbury's Dairy Milk on one of her shopping trips.

Tonight, I tried it.

Yuck! It tastes absolutely disgusting. Not even like chocolate.

I note its made in Malaysia. I am also aware that Kraft bought Cadbury's a few years ago and had apparently changed the recipe.

So sad this has happened to UK's finest chocolate.

Jimjim: I don't know if this applies here:

It is a standard procedure to buy a very high quality brand and than step by step exchange expensive things with cheap things in a way that the customer is not feeling the difference.

You know it is good and you won't recognize small changes.

At the end they sell a low price product at a high price with huge profit. At some point of course it won't work anymore but than they bought already the next brand......

Shareholder are happy.....

Small companies can't fight the big one in the long range.

Kitkat has a lovely chocolate taste in the UK but in Thailand it's a biscuit in a light brown slush. One of the most tasteless 'chocolates' I've ever tried. One's better off buying those 10 baht bars of varying description from a 7-11. There's a good chocolate to be found here but you need to make some effort and pay a bit more, same as anything else in Legoland.

its not just in Thailand, they have changed the recipe, Its taste like shit in the UK to , I for one like many others in the UK are boycotting the Crap chocolates an American Saying , Don't fix anyhting unless it needs fixing. typical American company screw every last penny out of the customer,

English chocolate melts in Thailand.

They have to change the recipe in order to sell the product in a tropical climate.

It's not to do with cheap, it's to do with gooey mess.

no you have to store it cool....

Replacing cacao fat with a cheap fat+artificial aroma isn't the solution.

They have to change the recipe in order to sell the product in a tropical climate.

So, you're expecting the chocolate bars to be shipped around the country in refrigerated lorries?

I don't think so, and most days it's 35c. How many times would the bars melt and solidify in the shipping process?

You think all shops air con their store room, or run the air con in the shop when they are closed at night?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

As far as I know the recipe for consumption outside the UK has been different for many years. In fact I suspect that there are several different recipes in use throughout the world that correspond to the local market's tastes.

So, you're expecting the chocolate bars to be shipped around the country in refrigerated lorries?

I don't think so, and most days it's 35c. How many times would the bars melt and solidify in the shipping process?

You think all shops air con their store room, or run the air con in the shop when they are closed at night?

Hilarious!

Yes, the trucks are at least airconditioned, if not refrigerated. The shops also keep the products in refrigerated shelves. 24 hour shops such as 7-11 can obviously store the products in normal shelves.

Same as for the rest of refrigerated products, such as milk, meat, cheese, etc...

Does the part of Thailand you live in not have electric power?

Edited by manarak

I believe the Malaysian made Cadburys is made with Palm oil,

hence it tastes like candle wax,leaves a coating on the roof of your mouth.

Never ever seen it for sale in refrigerated cabinets,Big C, Tesco, RimPing,

7-11 they all just have it on the shelves.

regards worgeordie

as with post 4 and others different recipe, the same goes for aussie chocolate - it don't taste right, some of this has to do with use of palm oil which alters the flavour considerabley.

there is of course cadburys sell out, but more scientifically, chocolate is all about the crystaline structure when it comes to taste, so once the chocolate has melted the once it loses the good flavours that went with the structure. lots of info., online about it. best chocolate you can find close to here is made in Japan

I thought I just got a bad Cadbury chocolate bar when I also thought it did not even taste like chocolate.

It was pretty bad tasting...and the consistency did not even feel like chocolate. Certainly did not melt like it should.

Pass.

Hilarious!

Yes, the trucks are at least airconditioned, if not refrigerated. The shops also keep the products in refrigerated shelves. 24 hour shops such as 7-11 can obviously store the products in normal shelves.

Same as for the rest of refrigerated products, such as milk, meat, cheese, etc...

Chocolate should not be refrigerated I gets white blotches and changes its character.

Hilarious!

Chocolate should not be refrigerated I gets white blotches and changes its character.

therefore I mentioned airconditioned trucks.

Can anyone provide a link to show that cadbury have changed the recipe for dairy milk? All i can find is a story of how they have altered the recipe for cream eggs. I love and have been eating dairy milks and kit kats for years and i haven't noticed any difference to the uk ones and the thai ones taste exactly the same. They are just a little smaller.

Someone mentioned chocolate getting white blotches when refrigerated. That only happens when chocolate melts and is then refrigerated. If it never melts then it is fine.

I used to enjoy DARS chocolate from Japan for a moderately priced chocolate but the last few i have had were not as enjoyable and were made in Malaysia - perhaps it is closer to the source of palm oil or just cheaper overheads such as labour .

Dark or Bitter chocolate seems to be what i enjoy more and more now.

I've noticed a few posts here criticizing the fats used in chocolate bars outside of the UK. Actually, the EU and the UK had a conflict a few years back about chocolate labelling, The UK insisted that if you wanted to call a bar chocolate it had to use only cocoa butter for fat. The Brits disagreed. I'm not sure how it got resolved. At any rate, I do think the British & Australian versions of candy bars to tend to taste better than versions found elsewhere. And I include the United States in this.

• 2 weeks later...

The OP needs to ask his mum where she bought it as Cadbury's sold retail in the UK should be the good stuff. Cadbury's sold retail in Thailand MOSTLY comes from Malaysia and is cack. You can tell the difference as the wrapper is brighter shade of purple than the UK/EU made stuff. I think that Tops is the only place with UK and Malaysian on the same shelf but they have a Union Jack on the price labeling so you know which one is the right one. The Cadbury's sold retail in Malaysia is made in Australia and is also horrible IMHO but not as bad as the Malaysian rubbish. I always stock up in the real Cabdury's when I travel to Vietnam as all their retail and duty free stock is from the UK.

I think the EU wonks in Brussels tried to ban Cadbury's being sold as chocolate due to the cocoa butter content. Cadbury's legally circumvented this 'ban' by calling the product 'Dairy Milk' thus removing any claim of false advertising in the product labeling which the EU directive was based on. The EU wonks said, 'You can't call it chocolate!' and Cabdury's responded, 'Alright, we won't.' If it's not called chocolate, you can't ban it for being sold as chocolate.... even though it is still chocolate.

Belgian chocolate is so over rated.

Edited by NanLaew

tesco lotus are stocking dairy milk but its not as good as their own brand that was made for them in the uk.at 60bht.for 200grms.wasnt bad and you had a choice,fruit/nut,whole nut and plain but for some reason they stopped selling it last yr.