Bangkok coffee shop faces fine for charging customer for 'business talk'

webfact

244 user(s) are reading this topic

Come along now, either make a post or move along. Others want to use this thread too you know. Stop hogging it.

I don't see how a poster can hog a topic, he may not have anything to say, if so, he will move along, just like I'm about to do.

Yes I know, I said something.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If one does not enjoy being called "farang" I hope one can appreciate Thai culture enough to avoid getting in psycholinguistic arguments with every poorly educated person in the streets. Tired of those who feel they have the right to not be offended at every turn of speech.

Edited by arunsakda

Yes you see this a lot people using free wife and the space in places like this. Its crazy just because you buy some food you can't hold complete meetings there and deprive the company of turnover because you keep tables occupied.

I agree with what everyone else is saying.

You often see people (foreigners) here asking where they can work on free WIFE i can understand companies not wanting these kind of people in their shops. especially shops that are real busy.

I think you mean WIFI, not WIFE. According to many TVF members on other threads, there is no such thing as a "free WIFE" in Thailand.

I'm going to go against the bulk of prevailing opinion on this matter.

I don't see a problem with people going into coffee shops and talking.

I've had plenty of work meetings in coffee shops. I used to be a community worker in the real world. I found meetings in coffee shops to be convenient, convivial, informal and best of all economically catered.

This is a great way to encourage custom and IMHO, no worse than a group of friends talking.

One important point here is where do these shops stop charging for incidental circumstances?

Should friends be charged more than singles. Its ridiculous to think that shops can charge differently for the circumstances under which there products are consumed?

Its also discriminatory.

We all have our prejudices and I personally would like to ban people wearing lycra, mothers with children and worst of all geeks with laptops who buy one coffee, use free wifi for hours on end and only consume a single coffee, sitting at the best tables when there is limited seating available.

Oh and anyone who orders a Chai Latte.

Oh anyone who corrupts coffee with low fat milk - they should definitely be taken out the back and shot in the face.Funny-Coffee-Shop-Sign.jpg

Who got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning???

What a charming disposition.bah.gif

Did you cycle with your child to a coffee shop, order a Chai Latte and then comment on my post using the free wifi?

The irony...

come on 2 hours is taking the piss and chair space up from other customers, I would have put signs up all around stating 30 minutes per table maximum, or you will be charged a fee,

I agree with you.

I have beenasked to teach in coffee shops, McDonalds and other places. I did it once and will never do it again. There are far too many distractions and too too much noise.

I have seen many people hold business meetimgs in these places and find it very strange. Surely companies have meeting rooms to have meetings.

I guess if someone wants to teach or hold a meeting in a coffee shop or restaurant it is ok - at off peak hours! I went to Black Canyon to eat a few months ago and on the table next to me was a guy with a laptop. He had an empty glass next to him. He was actually taking customers and telling their fortunes. I was in there for a good hour and not one of his "customers" bought anythng. A few weeks later I went there to eat on a Sunday and he was there again. There were no empty seats and I was in a bit of a bad mood anyway, so I complained about him. I guess you know reply - "mai pen rai". They lost my custom, not only that day but many more times. I have now found a new place to eat.

I remember a few years ago, I went to Paris and discovered that the toilets in McDonalds were relatively clean. I started to go there but was sonn stopped by staff who told me that I had to buy food first. Ok, I bought food and to my surprise, as soon as I had finished eating, they removed my tray and two or three minutes later asked me to leave. I am not complaining. If I had a restaurant I would do the same.

Edited by petedk

@rameetindallas. I much as I liked your post, what's not to say that there wasn't 6 people at the meeting.

six people, ten people, if they're all buying coffee at regular intervals, that's just more customers. In fact, they are better than a single customer taking a whole table to himself as these groups bunch up tight so as to hear each other. Each shop may cater or not cater to any type of customer and there are many coffee shops that would like to have ANY business. Their policy should always be clear before charges are added to the bill.

I reckon it'd be a corker to see what happens if some creepy dude comes along to a cafe' meeting, with his own full Thermos...coffee1.gif

I guess the cafe would charge him a 'corkage' fee for that?

I'm going to go against the bulk of prevailing opinion on this matter.

I don't see a problem with people going into coffee shops and talking.

I've had plenty of work meetings in coffee shops. I used to be a community worker in the real world. I found meetings in coffee shops to be convenient, convivial, informal and best of all economically catered.

This is a great way to encourage custom and IMHO, no worse than a group of friends talking.

One important point here is where do these shops stop charging for incidental circumstances?

Should friends be charged more than singles. Its ridiculous to think that shops can charge differently for the circumstances under which there products are consumed?

Its also discriminatory.

We all have our prejudices and I personally would like to ban people wearing lycra, mothers with children and worst of all geeks with laptops who buy one coffee, use free wifi for hours on end and only consume a single coffee, sitting at the best tables when there is limited seating available.

Oh and anyone who orders a Chai Latte.

Oh anyone who corrupts coffee with low fat milk - they should definitely be taken out the back and shot in the face.Funny-Coffee-Shop-Sign.jpg

Who got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning???

What a charming disposition.bah.gif

Did you cycle with your child to a coffee shop, order a Chai Latte and then comment on my post using the free wifi?

The irony...

Finally figured this out but MooseJaw is a famous bar in Frisco,CO. I have never been but my mate is a regular!

I teach my students at the Starbucks near me. I will always buy something and my students do to. Other 'normal' customers are also there for hours on end hogging up the seats as well so what is the difference?

The staff there like me too because I am always nice and polite and bringing them customers smile.png. Some of you have too much time on your hands and complain about anything.

Policy should be per person/couple that for every 40 minutes you are there you buy a drink or some food.

Sit all you want but spend as well.

I think that would chase away A LOT of customers. Like I said other people in the coffee shops are there chatting with friends for hours, tutoring, having little meetings about business or whatever else. If you start putting in time constraints then most of the customers would reject it and leave. I do purchase something but if they started imposing these rules I'd go somewhere else on principal.

If you have a problem with customers staying to long its easy enough to persuade them their time is up.

Just go and plonk a plate with a turd in front of them. They'll soon get the message.

was this supposed to be funny or even a remote attempt at humour..what an asinine comment.....

I teach my students at the Starbucks near me. I will always buy something and my students do to. Other 'normal' customers are also there for hours on end hogging up the seats as well so what is the difference?

The staff there like me too because I am always nice and polite and bringing them customers smile.png. Some of you have too much time on your hands and complain about anything.

Policy should be per person/couple that for every 40 minutes you are there you buy a drink or some food.

Sit all you want but spend as well.

I think that would chase away A LOT of customers. Like I said other people in the coffee shops are there chatting with friends for hours, tutoring, having little meetings about business or whatever else. If you start putting in time constraints then most of the customers would reject it and leave. I do purchase something but if they started imposing these rules I'd go somewhere else on principal.

If you have a problem with customers staying to long its easy enough to persuade them their time is up.

Just go and plonk a plate with a turd in front of them. They'll soon get the message.

was this supposed to be funny or even a remote attempt at humour..what an asinine comment.....

More of an <deleted> comment methinks.

As a member of an elite organisation that meets socially at pubs, cafes, restaurants, member houses, etc, on a regular basis normally once a month, one such meeting for breakfast in a cafe on a Sunday morning will last about 3 hours, they do not charge us for a long breakfast meeting, in actual fact they have a brass plaque on the wall saying we meet there.

The elite organization? I am tipping it is AA gigglem.gif Bit full of ones self? Could have just said "part of a group that meets". Elite???bah.gif

I haven't the time to read all the comments but it seems to me after being in the restaurant business that this business should be turning it into their own advantage .

Unless they are turning away customers because of a lack of space they should know a busy shop attracts more customers . It may pay to employ a greeter (if the waiters are not savvy enough to do this) who seats customers and fill up the tables near the entrance or visible to the street first. The last tables to be filled should be the ones closest to the toilets, the kitchen or to the till desk. ( you could direct the "business" customers towards these tanles too) .And if you need to encourage turnover just make sure the waiters or greeter to pay attention to the tables by asking if there is anything else they would like ?, is everything okay?, would they like to try the shops special of the day? etc. Very polite but it brings to the customers attention they should be either moving on or ordering more.

This shop has lost more than the 2000 baht it hoped to gain.

Business must be great at this joint if they can afford to offend and effectively turn away this kind of customer. I see it all the time at Au Bon Pain ...they don't seem to have an issue with and nor should they , providing there is a spend ( and the prospect of a repeat customer).

What gets up my nose is the solo customer who thinks it's appropriate to make 'phone calls , sometimes even on speaker, that everyone else has to hear ( usually farang)

Perhaps business would be better if paying customers could get in.

I have seen this in coffee shops and fast food places, being used as meeting places for some hours, occupying a large area or best seating based on the purchase of a solitary few coffees or maybe not even that. Seems a bit cheeky, but if there is not a policy in place to discourage it, it will happen. Looks like charging 2000 baht isn't going to work.....

Good for them, about time something was done about that kind of selfish customer, pity they didn't collect the fee.

You see it a lot in McD ... someone teaching a small group of students. It's not that bad with the students doing their homework there but teaching is pushing the limit a bit

Would love to see the police come through and demand to see work permits for teaching. Surprised the labor department hasnt figured this out.

Why is Coconuts considered a news source????? Bangkok Post has the actually story including the patron's admission there was a sign ON EVERY TABLE, which they claimed was small and they didn't read, which indicated the 1,000 baht an hour charge. The facebook user later deleted the post saying it was a misunderstanding. He also said the charge was immediately removed when they complained.

To answer your question - because it is not in any forum operator's interests to promote the early exchange of full and accurate factual information. They are by definition opinion and prejudice swapping organs! I still use them for all that.giggle.gif

He could go broke using that 'add ups' machine. Pretty confusing anyway

What's confusing....260 baht (including tax) worth of coffees + 2000 baht fee = 2260. The bill shows a breakdown of charges plus tax at the bottom. The fee has not been taxed, which is something the revenue department could charge the cafe for.

I read this when it went viral. Apparently there was a small card, face down, on the table informing of the 1000 baht per hour fee. This was one of the gripes of the customer, that the fee was not well displayed. He suggested that the waiter should have pointed it out when it was apparent that the group was lingering. I don't blame the customer for complaining and refusing to pay. Obviously, if the cafe felt they were absolutely in the right, they would have pressed him to pay.

Actually I was yesterday at the Mall Ramkhamheang and noticed that Starbucks has a meeting room and inside were 3 customers shuffling some papers.

BTW, I disagree with the fine. People discuss business meetings over lunch, coffee or whatever. 2000 baht for providing no service at all.... well, it's outrageous. If you don't want people conducting business on your premises, post a sign.

He could go broke using that 'add ups' machine. Pretty confusing anyway

What's confusing....260 baht (including tax) worth of coffees + 2000 baht fee = 2260. The bill shows a breakdown of charges plus tax at the bottom. The fee has not been taxed, which is something the revenue department could charge the cafe for.

You might want to check your math. The total is 2112.15 and the listed tax of 7% is 147.85 (Clearly tax was charge on the 2k.

Also would not make any difference what-so-ever if they include tax as a separate charge or roll it into the price as long as they are paying the tax to the government.

Actually I was yesterday at the Mall Ramkhamheang and noticed that Starbucks has a meeting room and inside were 3 customers shuffling some papers.

BTW, I disagree with the fine. People discuss business meetings over lunch, coffee or whatever. 2000 baht for providing no service at all.... well, it's outrageous. If you don't want people conducting business on your premises, post a sign.

It wasn't a fine. It was a charge for using someone else's premises for a meeting.