Are you backing up your backups?

Just yesterday I came to the conclusion that I, and everyone I knew, have been leading shallow, egotistic, self centered, degrading lives and wiped every thing off my computer. Today it, and I, run better/faster/with no guilt attached -- kinda like emptying the trash !

Well I am not a pro so if I loose my data, not really a great loss.

Off-course I got some pictures of the family I rather not loose.

So thanks OP for posting this and I better get hold of some of those +R DVD'd

It was just a pain to listen to this tattooed <deleted> for 30 min.biggrin.png

Writable DVD... guaranteed to last 100 years... (if you really want long term storage, magnetic tape is the way to go, but we don't really need long term storage BECAUSE we are storing DIGITAL data that does not degrade on each copy; so, rather that needing to keep copies around for a long time (we're not the Library of Congress), we just make more recent copies. As for any guarantee, who will pay if it doesn't hold up? If the manufacture won't, it's not a guarantee, its marketing.)

250 hard drives.... (no reason to have this many, unless you literally have 100's of terabytes of data)

Buy a domain name and store your files, but not in the cloud... (in this he shows that he really doesn't understand how the internet works, buying a domain name and and setting up a server in "Eastern Europe" is still for all practical purposes the same as using the cloud: in both cases, your data is being stored on one or more computers that you don't control. The reliability of this is down to how well your provider manages things, and I would trust Amazon, Google, Microsoft, more than a random data center operator.)

I know how to fix hard drives... (you haven't been able to fix hard drives in more than 15 years, if ever; they do have cool magnets in them though)

My document is good enough for Apple (it is in a User Discussion Forum and Apple takes no responsibility for the content: "...Apple can therefore provide no guarantee as to the efficacy of any proposed solutions on the community forums. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site.")

I'm pretty f'kiing smart... (yep, he's smarter than Einstein (which according to him, isn't saying much), a genius of immeasurable magnitude https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVv2ZMRTbLI)

Please people, understand, this guy might have some knowledge on photography, but he's not an expert on computers or data archiving, or many other things he talks about.

Yes, data backup is important, and if there is a good thing about this video, it is that it will bring this to the attention of his audience. But please, do not trust what he says as best practice. For example, he doesn't even touch on checking or validating a backup once it is made. Moreover, if you are a professional, you should be treating proper backup as a part of your business and contracting with a company to manage it for you (and who would have some liability if they mess up).

I worked IT for years and was in charge of the server backups. We had primary, secondary and tertiary backups. Every day we made incremental backups (just made copies of what had changed from the day before) and monthly made complete backups, two copies, and both were stored off-site at two different locations.

BTW, I worked for Uncle Sugar at the time and feel like pulling out what little hair I have left when I read these news stories about "lost emails." It's all utter nonsense, both the IRS and Hilldog. Once an email is sent, IGNORING all the backup strategies (or lack thereof), that email is stored in multiple places - the server and the recipients. They just don't go away like these liars are saying.

Use a good online Backup Service that store your files Automatically and forever.

CrashPlan is the best I have found. For Private use only, Unlimited but slow from Thailand. But it definitely helps you in a disaster.

CrashPlan PROe is far the best backup for corporate.

You can even purchase CrashPlan Cloud backup in Thailand through CAT IRIS Cloud. (www.iris.cattelecom.com) and if you have internet through CAT its only 29 Baht/ month

Use a good online Backup Service that store your files Automatically and forever.

CrashPlan is the best I have found. For Private use only, Unlimited but slow from Thailand. But it definitely helps you in a disaster.

You can even purchase CrashPlan Cloud backup in Thailand through CAT IRIS Cloud. (www.iris.cattelecom.com) and if you have internet through CAT its only 29 Baht/ month

I would only note that you should use one that lets you make local backups to your own hard drive as well, and you should have at least one recent (say in the last month) backup in your physical possession. The future of companies is uncertain; they could go bankrupt, change their terms of service, or just make a massive mistake that deletes your data. With your own (recently generated and validated) copy, two things have to go wrong at the same time -- the online company you use has to mess up and your copy has to get damaged, stolen, or similar.

Also, some on-line companies will archive multiple versions (some unlimited versions). This is a good feature as it protects against accidentally overwriting a file. If you don't have it, by the time you realize you have overwritten the file, the new version may have already overwritten the version you need on your backup.

if you only have a few gigs, why not use cryptsync and backup to Dropbox, Drive, etc cloud. It's set-and-forget after initial setup. You can encrypt the backups so you get both compression and security. It could also work for larger amounts of data, but you would likely have to pay for terabytes of storage.

If you choose to encrypt, don't forget your password, lol. And you do not have to sync your files to every computer that you have your cloud account attached to. You can 'selectively' sync files to certain computers. So I set my files to 'selectively sync' to no other computer, which only puts a copy of it to the Dropbox server.

People seem to lead such important lives compared to little old me - multiple back ups stored in fifteen secure, fireproof locations, 256-bit encryptions, million-year disks - time for another lozenge.

As an expat , backups are even more a must have. First rule of computing : backup,backup,backup , yes , that is at least 3 backup's . I have them here and back home in europe. Everything encrypted too.

The risks for expats are bigger than for people that stay in their country. We travel more , more risk of theft , malfunction of HDD's because of transport (car/plane/bus) , heat , moist and the bad electricity in Thailand. Encryption can fail too. Of the most important stuff , I have 6 copies. At some country's airports & customs there is a risk of prying or even confiscation .

If anyone still uses the cloud after Snowdon , well .....can't really write what I think of them on TV....

Encryption in the cloud is a joke. Encryption is also keeping your data safe when your HDD's are still under warranty or when the whole computer has to go in for servicing.

As an expat , backups are even more a must have. First rule of computing : backup,backup,backup , yes , that is at least 3 backup's . I have them here and back home in europe. Everything encrypted too.

The risks for expats are bigger than for people that stay in their country. We travel more , more risk of theft , malfunction of HDD's because of transport (car/plane/bus) , heat , moist and the bad electricity in Thailand. Encryption can fail too. Of the most important stuff , I have 6 copies. At some country's airports & customs there is a risk of prying or even confiscation .

If anyone still uses the cloud after Snowdon , well .....can't really write what I think of them on TV....

Encryption in the cloud is a joke. Encryption is also keeping your data safe when your HDD's are still under warranty or when the whole computer has to go in for servicing.

Paranoia - what on earth has to be so secure. Make sure you cover everything in tin foil- those pesky cosmic rays can cause havoc .

Paranoia - what on earth has to be so secure. Make sure you cover everything in tin foil- those pesky cosmic rays can cause havoc .

Ha ! some good advice ! Wrapping HDD's in a lot of tin/aluminum foil and earthing it , can protect it from an EMP .

you have to wonder, do you really need a backup ? are you some garage website builder ?

or you need backups of your downloaded movies ?

All the content you create , all the stuff you download , free or paid for, is an investment of time , effort , money, bandwith. All the time you spend looking for content , selecting , modifying it , you don't want to lose because of a failing HDD/SSD/Flashcard/dvd,...theft , comfiscation, ...And that is just for private people.

If you own a business , losing your data could ruin you.

So yes backing up is vital , backing up the back ups even more.

Backups...not paranoia...common sense more like it.

Don't believe me? Loose all your data; the important stuff down

to the mundane...all gone. Then you may realise why the time

invested in researching the optimal backup solution for you/your

company, making the necessary purchases and doing the damn

backing up isn't a bad idea after all.

I would only note that you should use one that lets you make local backups to your own hard drive as well, and you should have at least one recent (say in the last month) backup in your physical possession. The future of companies is uncertain; they could go bankrupt, change their terms of service, or just make a massive mistake that deletes your data. With your own (recently generated and validated) copy, two things have to go wrong at the same time -- the online company you use has to mess up and your copy has to get damaged, stolen, or similar.

Also, some on-line companies will archive multiple versions (some unlimited versions). This is a good feature as it protects against accidentally overwriting a file. If you don't have it, by the time you realize you have overwritten the file, the new version may have already overwritten the version you need on your backup.

You can do that with CrashPlan, You can backup to your own hard drive or even to your own computers. Your Office computer can act as a backup destination for your laptop and the other way around.

you can even host your own cloud if you want to. If you and your friend is having CrashPlan servers you can use each others as destinations.

if you only have a few gigs, why not use cryptsync and backup to Dropbox, Drive, etc cloud. It's set-and-forget after initial setup. You can encrypt the backups so you get both compression and security. It could also work for larger amounts of data, but you would likely have to pay for terabytes of storage.

If you choose to encrypt, don't forget your password, lol. And you do not have to sync your files to every computer that you have your cloud account attached to. You can 'selectively' sync files to certain computers. So I set my files to 'selectively sync' to no other computer, which only puts a copy of it to the Dropbox server.

You can never use a sync service like DropBox as a destination for backup. If a file corrupts and you don't notice is time that file is gone forever.

I'm looking to back-up 1 TB of 20MB RAW's. The harddisks at home just don't feel safe enough.. Involving a company feels the same but if I do it together it'd feel safer like I've spread the risk.

If you are a private person use CrashPlan for private use. its about 2000 Baht/ year for their offsite cloud with unlimited amount of data. www.crashplan.com, its free if you backup between your own computers or to drives.

You can never use a sync service like DropBox as a destination for backup. If a file corrupts and you don't notice is time that file is gone forever.

If your data is that sensitive, you can use multiple sync services, with selective sync. Or generate your own hard backups by syncing to specific folders to separate HDD or SDD every so often. You could also use something like Acronis True Image or freefilesync to assist with the backups. Acronis is especially useful for incremental backups.

What is the likelihood of a file being corrupt, whether from your end or the hard drive/cloud it is copied to?

What is the likelihood of a file being corrupt, whether from your end or the hard drive/cloud it is copied to?

Given enough time and activity...very.

Since this is the photo section a relevant example....edit an image and click save...realise you messed it up and were editing the original...saved as jpeg so none of ps non destructive editing benefits...

No probs I will grab the back, too late, already synced to all 4 services!

Im sure most people have had at least one similar event, which is why multiple staged backups are essential for data of any value.

Given enough time and activity...very.

Since this is the photo section a relevant example....edit an image and click save...realise you messed it up and were editing the original...saved as jpeg so none of ps non destructive editing benefits...

No probs I will grab the back, too late, already synced to all 4 services!

Im sure most people have had at least one similar event, which is why multiple staged backups are essential for data of any value.

If you are working on something like that, you have 2 options:

A) save multiple copies (different filenames) as you reach milestones.

B) you use a proprietary format to do your editing; one that saves all edits from the start of the project or far enough back. Or even if it cannot save 'undo' history, the objects are at least editable.

Then you also save demo or finished copies in a publishable format, like jpeg, png, etc.

Or

C) a combination of a and b

Any digital project should have a similar workflow pattern. Very unlikely to lose your work this way if you have the masters and backups to the masters. Unless i missed something.

Missing the point... when you hit save and realise you shouldnt have, or hit delete...whether a jpg, word file or anything else...syncs are lost but periodic backups save the day.

Sure there are multiple ways to minimise the risks but we are all human and human error is unavoidable.

Often the quick and simple things that go wrong since they seem so easy that best practices not necessary.

Show me anyone who has worked using computers for a decade and claims never to have lost, deleted or messed up a file....doubt you can.

Archived