Saw some ads in USA for what I will call "cash cards"

Not sure if that is the accurate definition.

However, you can get a credit like card and fund it with your own money.

Question-If I do this and bring the card/cards into Thailand, can I use them for cash withdrawals at a Thai bank or ATM??

Will they work to purchase food and goods at stores?

If you are talking about prepaid credit cards, then yes, you will be able to use them at ATM's, and to buy goods, pay in restaurants etc, as they are normally either Visa or Mastercard. Not sure about buying food and goods in some small store though.

Before you apply for one, it is probably best to check on one of the card comparison websites to see which are the best ones for your needs.

There are many cards, with different charges and fees, and also different currency denominations. In the UK, it is possible to get a Sterling card, a dollar card or a Euro card.

Don't forget that Thai ATM's also charge THB180 transaction fee, (Aeon THB150), so best to withdraw as much as possible per transaction. Limit is THB20,000 I think.

Top up online from your linked (US in your case) bank account.

Also remember if funded in foreign currency there will be charges involved with payment in Baht from the currency conversion rate and make sure there is also no foreign usage fee as is also charged by most credit cards. Believe you would be much better served with a local bank account and debit card if staying here long term. Also many food type stores will not accept foreign cards from my understanding (but no personal knowledge as would never use them due to charges).

If a prepaid card like that is skimmed and used abroad fraudulently how well are you covered for your loss?

These cards have their uses but they tend to almost never be declined if they are used within their daily limits.

That's great unless you are the victim of fraud, in which case you can lose plenty of money in a short space of time.

Worth reading the T&C's.

If a prepaid card like that is skimmed and used abroad fraudulently how well are you covered for your loss?

These cards have their uses but they tend to almost never be declined if they are used within their daily limits.

That's great unless you are the victim of fraud, in which case you can lose plenty of money in a short space of time.

Worth reading the T&C's.

And also worth only putting a little on the card at a time, as long as you can log on to your bank to top it up when you need to.

Unlike a conventional credit card, you can ONLY spend (or lose) what's on it. In that respect it's more akin to a Debit card than a Credit card.

I took this to be targeted to users that do not have bank accounts. You buy the card with cash and can then carry and use as a debit card. Do not believe what he is talking about has any connections to a bank account.

The great majority of U.S. cash cards (i.e. pre-paid debit or credit cards) are fee heavy, except a few. Probably the lowest cost pre-paid card is the American Express BlueBird card which can be used for purchases and ATM withdrawals...you can even have your pension/pay directed deposited to the account.

For ATM withdrawal the ATM must also use the American Express network. Bangkok Bank ATMs also utilize the AmEx network in addition to the Visa/Mastercard/etc., networks.

Here's the good part, the foreign card ATM fee for an American Express card such as the BlueBird card is only Bt50 compared to the Visa/Mastercard Bt180 fee at Thai ATMs. At foreign cash withdrawal would be Bt50 (approx $1.50) plus the $2.50 foreign transaction fee charged by AmEx...so you total fee for a ATM withdrawal within Thailand would be $4.

If you are in the U.S. and withdraw funds from an ATM on the MoneyPass network there is no fee...if a non-MoneyPass network ATM then the $2.50 fee applies plus any local use ATM fee.

There are no other fees for a BlueBird card...no foreign transaction fee applies for purchases or cash withdrawals...only that $2.50 fee when using the card outside of the MoneyPass ATM network (domestic or international). See below links for more info. Now the card can only be mailed to a U.S. address; not any foreign address...this is not uncommon for some bank cards...all depends on your bank's policy. So, if getting the card be sure to have a U.S. address which it can be mailed to.

https://www.bluebird.com/faqs#fees-and-limits

https://www.bluebird.com/

Edited by Pib