Couple saves three Irish students from 'visa overstay' jail time in Thailand

webfact

Does Surat Thani airport even have immigration, i dont think it does, why would they be fined there anyway, they were departing Thailand BKK, either badly reported or some BS being written

And 7 × 500 doesnt equal THB10500 BTW if it was genuine fine they overstayed 21 days

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

A few factual things wrong with this story

7 days x 3 people = 10,500 baht..

3500 + 3500 = 7000

7000 + 3500 = 10500

Hope that clears it up for you.

to be honest, these 3 girls moping around at the airport was a bad effort.

if they were indeed worried about their problem, then i am sure that ONE of the girls would have asked to call up one of their parents to stick money into their bank which they could INSTANTLY draw out in any ATM in the airport.

Problem solved!!!

the irish couple was REALLY REALLY NICE to have given this money to these 3 students.

but really, i am sure one of the 3 students had a parent or sibling in ireland that could have deposited the cash into their bank within 30 mins.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Surat Thani airport even have immigration, i dont think it does, why would they be fined there anyway, they were departing Thailand BKK, either badly reported or some BS being written

And 7 × 500 doesnt equal THB10500 BTW if it was genuine fine they overstayed 21 days

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

I think the article meant the three girls were charged a cumulative fee of B10,500; or B3,500 each; or B500/day for seven days each.

From my perspective, the point is these three someone's daughters are overseas without a backup of even 100 quid.

All I can think of are the Thai mothers and fathers who carry their helmetless kids with nonchalance on their scooters; as if they did not care.

How can you let your sons, let alone your daughters, travel the world without a money-buffer?

I overstayed one time and didn't even know till I tried to leave the country. Thailand has different types of visas and try to keep them straight. Plus, stamp stamp it is hard to even understand the dates etc. I have a 'retirement' not called that of course but something I have to look up each time. I'm always referring to my passport between the 90 day report entries, visa dates, re-entry visa's, no wonder these young girls who for the first time visited Thailand were confused. But, we have plenty cranky old farangs who know so much commenting about how dumb they are. Wonder how long it took each one.........not just one of them but all of them to figure out the hoops. Bet none in their first year here.

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

7 days x 3 people = 10,500 baht..

3500 + 3500 = 7000

7000 + 3500 = 10500

Hope that clears it up for you.

7 days x 3 people = 21 overstay days

21 x 500 Bath = 10 500 Bath

14 days x 6 people = 10,500 baht

3 x 500 = 1500

1500 x 7 days = 10,500

Luckily, the boyfriends stayed home.

Mercifully, the overstay was half as long as we feared.

Hope this inspires further clear-ups.

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

Presumably seven days each. But I would have expected the fines to have been levied in Bangkok.

Read the story from another source, they did have enough money in their ATM but they claim the ATM at the airport only allowed them to withdraw €150 max. They enter via land border hence only 15 day entry stamp.

Thats just not true, you can cash out up to 20k baht on any credit or debit card if you have the money on your account.

No, you can't. The limit isn't dictated by the local banks but by the home bank.

So together they can't read and they don't have 10.500 Baht and they are supposed to be students? Our intellectual elite?

Exactly. It looks to me like they just didn't want to pay the fine because it would put a dent in their vacation budget; how could they be half way around the world and not have 3500 Baht? And they weren't being scammed, the law is clear; in fact if you're stopped by a cop and have over-stayed you go to detention (unless he allows you to avoid that) and are deported. Paying a fine, technically, is a kind of amnesty for "turning yourself in" at a border control point e.g. at an airport.

I think they were being typical twenty-somethings, not paying attention and then not wanting to take responsibility for their actions. Much easier to throw a tantrum and get bailed out by a soft-hearted stranger.

There's only 4.5 million people in Ireland. They are probably cousins.

And while everyone is (rightly) beating up Soutpeel for his horrendous math skills, don't forget the people who agreed with his math. Your third grade teachers would be ashamed.

Liked By

I'm all for legitimate border enforcement, but even the threat of throwing tourists in the slammer just for 7 days overstay doesn't sound like something that's going to do much to win the hearts & minds of the global audience, ESP if it's something that can be bought out of . Blacklist them so they can't return for whatever span of years seems appropriate, but the jail thing is just over the top. It's not about Thailand's "right" to do it; it's about the wisdom of doing it.

Illegal immigrants is what Europe is faced at the moment but the media so conveniently calls "asylum seekers".

In all fairness, these three kids might have not noticed the expiry stamp in their passports. This is wrong and, according to the local law, punishable with said fines. All OK so far. They outstayed their welcome and

will never come back again - same for their friends and friends of friends - trust the vitality of the social networks on this one.

But what is it an airline's job on a domestic flight to scare them to death. It is the immigration (under the police and ultimately under the Ministry of Interior) to sort things out and not an airline (under the DCA and ultimately under the Ministry of Transportation).

The story will go viral and the TAT will have to use more flood pumps to blow up their fantastic figures of theirs.

Apply common sense - a commodity which is in complete absence in this country; regretfully!

A slap on the wrist with a smile would have done (thank- and grateful) wonders; now it seems that Thailand came in second - again, despite being on the(ir) correct side. How pathetic - considering the completely empty hotels and restaurants in Pattaya, Koh Chang and other Eastern seaboard tourism spots!

Congratulations in putting into perspective the things that need to be implemented in Thailand ???? to start the return of tourists. Lived there for over 5 yrs and I shall return again soon .... Your comments & observations are one of the best I've read on a Thai Forum ????

Sorry but I have little sympathy for the three girls, who due to a "mix up" overstayed by 7 days, what "mix up" would that be then, difficulty with understanding the dates on the arrival card?

They were going on to Malaysia to continue their summer holidays, apparently with virtually no cash or working ATM cards, were they planning on busking then?

Seems they are just 3 scatter brains who have learnt a valuable lesson, pay attention and take responsibility for your own actions.

All true what have said; but you have a bad attitude towards people, because for the sake of 400 baht or near enough, I would had given them the money without hesitation with perhaps a wise old uncle type lecture about being responsible.

I do pray and hope that if ever one of my kids is in need of assistance, that you are not the first person they plead to for help. Otherwise they would all be rotting in jail for sure.

I'm all for legitimate border enforcement, but even the threat of throwing tourists in the slammer just for 7 days overstay doesn't sound like something that's going to do much to win the hearts & minds of the global audience, ESP if it's something that can be bought out of . Blacklist them so they can't return for whatever span of years seems appropriate, but the jail thing is just over the top. It's not about Thailand's "right" to do it; it's about the wisdom of doing it.

While I don't agree with jail in a case like this -- jail was not an option because they overstayed but rather because they overstayed and didn;t have the money to pay. At some point there has to be consequences. If they only overstayed by 1 Day they would not have been even fined at the airport. Should that be changed to 7-days or perhaps 30-days or 1-year. Perhaps they should just leave it up to immigration officials to use their own discretion when it come to enforcing the law and perhaps they can decide if the circumstances warrants a bribe or arrest.

I doubt police would have made any arrest when it came down to it based on a few hundred baht but if they did they would be doing their duty and job. Not that I agree with the law as I don't many but it is the world we live in and everywhere has laws and few places will being in a country illegally not run the potential of being jailed.

I overstayed one time and didn't even know till I tried to leave the country. Thailand has different types of visas and try to keep them straight. Plus, stamp stamp it is hard to even understand the dates etc. I have a 'retirement' not called that of course but something I have to look up each time. I'm always referring to my passport between the 90 day report entries, visa dates, re-entry visa's, no wonder these young girls who for the first time visited Thailand were confused. But, we have plenty cranky old farangs who know so much commenting about how dumb they are. Wonder how long it took each one.........not just one of them but all of them to figure out the hoops. Bet none in their first year here.

You are kidding right? They got a stamp when they entered the country that showed the date you can stay through, just like other countries do. There is nothing complex about this yet between the 3 of them NONE of them looked at the stamp they got and somehow that makes it a Thai problem?????

Don't get me wrong I feel for these young girls but come on now, people have to take responsibility for themselves and if understanding or remember how long your permission to stay in a foreign country is or being confused because you have entry and exit stamps in your passport then you shouldn't leave your home country. Obtaining visas can be complicated in all countries but once you get one, it is a stretch to blame somebody else that you don't know how long it is valid.

If I recall reading the FB Post, they were not even blaming anyone else that they overstayed.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

You are kidding right? They got a stamp when they entered the country that showed the date you can stay through, just like other countries do. There is nothing complex about this yet between the 3 of them NONE of them looked at the stamp they got and somehow that makes it a Thai problem?????

Don't get me wrong I feel for these young girls but come on now, people have to take responsibility for themselves and if understanding or remember how long your permission to stay in a foreign country is or being confused because you have entry and exit stamps in your passport then you shouldn't leave your home country. Obtaining visas can be complicated in all countries but once you get one, it is a stretch to blame somebody else that you don't know how long it is valid.

I do agree with your last two posts but unless there are new administrative instructions or greater discretion allowed fines are / were imposed for a 1 day overstay as I found out personally. Admittedly it was MANY years ago and the fine was Bt 100 but what got me was the official stamps took up one page of my passport.

Incidentally I overstayed deliberately so i could watch a World Cup final on television as my next destination was the Philippines where the lack of interest in football meant it wasn't to be broadcast.

It IS an international airport with flights to Malaysia for sure. 500 per day for 7 days is 3500 per person and it was 3 people = 10,500 No problems with these facts...

1 If 7 days = THB 3500
2 overstayed 21 days
3 scammed by someone
4 someone is writing BS

Is there a prize for clown TV thread of the year?

No one reads the article properly. One guy miscalculates his figures and the next three pages are wasted on person after person correcting him.

Explanation of WHY they overstayed posted several times yet others still speculating...........

they went out of the country and got restamped back in at land crossing for 15 days; but assumed they had the remainder of their original visa left

AND AGAIN....Its eplained in the article and posted several times, that the Irish couple gave them the SHORTFALL for what they needed.......400BAHT!!!!

Got it?????

HINT: (for new posters)...please scroll down 1 or 2 pages. If you see any of these figures...

500, 3,7,3500, 10,500

rest assured a multitude of posters has already corrected the mathematically challenged poster...

jesus wept

it was only 10 euros I think most of us would have done the same? good luck to them and don't be stupid next time? CHECK your visa is mandatory when travelling! glad they found their 'saviour' smile.png

" CHECK your visa is mandatory when travelling! "

I agree they should have been more careful, but checking the visa might have been the cause of the problem. The visa expiry date has nothing to do with their stay in Thailand. The only thing that matters is the "must leave by" date on the immigration's permission to stay stamp they got when entering the country.

Many people confuse the "use by" date printed on the visa sticker they got at an embassy or consulate and the "must leave by" date stamped in their passport by immigrations. Overstay is determined by the latter not the former.

Are you saying Baht 10,500 is € 10 ?

*sigh*

Is there a prize for clown TV thread of the year?

No one reads the article properly. One guy miscalculates his figures and the next three pages are wasted on person after person correcting him.

Explanation of WHY they overstayed posted several times yet others still speculating...........

they went out of the country and got restamped back in at land crossing for 15 days; but assumed they had the remainder of their original visa left

AND AGAIN....Its eplained in the article and posted several times, that the Irish couple gave them the SHORTFALL for what they needed.......400BAHT!!!!

Got it?????

HINT: (for new posters)...please scroll down 1 or 2 pages. If you see any of these figures...

500, 3,7,3500, 10,500

rest assured a multitude of posters has already corrected the mathematically challenged poster...

jesus wept

...yet somehow the tale just wouldn't be quite complete without someone climbing up on a high horse to reprove the reprovers, would it?. LOL

They had no fmily or freinds and no cash and were getting on a plane to fly to malaysia on "holiday" !!!

I guess they were drug smugglers or something. How else are they going to survive in Malaysia? Prostitution? Thats the only 2 reasonable answers.

stop you crazy guesses and read the facebook link

I did similar for an an american lass in tears during a stopover in Korea about 20 years ago. I'm glad no one wrote about it or posted it in a forum. Would have just had forum members with little else to do:

• not reading the post
  • not reading the full article
  • not knowing basic arithmetic
  • arguing and nit picking and calling each other names.

What a sad little enclave this is. I think I'll switch it off for a couple of months but I'll probably be back again because I might just be as sad as everyone else here.

Is there any open discussion forum that does not have a degree of what you speak of occurring amongst all the members.

Do not let it bother you while there are moderators to slap the hands of those that turn nasty and foul mouthed or ......small minded...lol

Meantime...the immigration authorities are usually very gracious concerning the way they handle over stay issues.

If you do not have the money to pay the over stay fine then you are told ( not threatened ) you will have to be held in limbo or restricted from leaving until you pay the over stay fine.....and if you can not pay the money or arrange the money in a timely manner ....then..... you are told that you will be held in Jail.

Simple enough.

Cheers

There's only 4.5 million people in Ireland. They are probably cousins.

And while everyone is (rightly) beating up Soutpeel for his horrendous math skills, don't forget the people who agreed with his math. Your third grade teachers would be ashamed.

Liked By

With your razor sharp perception and analytical skills, (and ability to get into the minds of your fellow posters) you could be on the beloved rulers psychic team. (It is possible to "like" a post purely because of its stupidity, not because it is correct and you agree with it...just sayin')

Duh! As soon as immigration stamp your passport just look at the stamp. Its quite important to make sure it is stamped properly!!! If there's confusion you can ask them before leaving immigration..Duh!!

Duh! As soon as immigration stamp your passport just look at the stamp. Its quite important to make sure it is stamped properly!!! If there's confusion you can ask them before leaving immigration..Duh!!

Guess I am being duly chastised for being an idiot with my comment. Always wonderful to know that there are such smart wonderful people in the world who do no wrong.....they are so perfect you know. It is so nice to know that you got everything correct the first go around and look down upon us lowlly urchins below you who don't have the same good sense as you.

Sure, I just marched into country one day and wiled away my time skipping along the markets and bars with not a care in the world. Since that time I have been here a few years and have to peer into that passport and confirm the dates that are stamped all over that book. I have traveled and NEVER had an issue of an overstay in any of the countries I have lived in or visited. Thailand's bureaucracy is beyond complicated compared to other nations. In my years here I can't count the changes from fines, requirements, timing etc. I go into 90 day report and even the Immigration office has changed since my last visit.......personnel have changed and procedures of where to go have changed. So, all of your smart alleck comments can stick it where the sun doesn't shine along wiht your highty hoe perfection.

three lucky ladies who found some people to help them at the airport.most including me would ignore them and move on

The main jist of this story, besides to take note your visa validity, is how the Irish look out for each other overseas.

But what is it an airline's job on a domestic flight to scare them to death. It is the immigration (under the police and ultimately under the Ministry of Interior) to sort things out and not an airline (under the DCA and ultimately under the Ministry of Transportation).

I will answer your question, as you do not understand the rules that apply to ALL airlines.

- These 3 pax were on their way to Malaysia, connecting via Bangkok. Because the overstay was dealt with at the departure airport and not Bangkok, this indicates that the 3 pax were clearing immigration at the point of departure.

- An airline is responsible for verifying visa and passport validity of its international pax at departure. Some countries, have a simple check just to make sure that a pax has the appropriate travel documents. In other countries, the checks are more intense. For example, in Taiwan, EVA has a special passport and visa verification before North American destination pax can enter the departure holding area.

- Airlines that board pax without proper documents are assessed a penalty. In North America, I believe it is $10,000 per pax.

- My understanding is that Thailand's international airlines are required to verify travel documents as they will be fined for improperly documented pax.

There was nothing unusual or out of the ordinary with the airline checking.

What is unusual is that the Thai authorities would have not waived the difference. Something was very wrong and the immigration supervisor needs to be disciplined for allowing this to occur.

As a former ZRHKKSR, ZRHKSTG I am more than aware of airline rep duties; trust me on that.

URTKKTG has no jurisdiction over overstay; they only have to check identity wai2.gif Latter was never an issue; former is and remains the duty of immigration and not the carrier, irrespective of carrier or country (North Korea and Bhutan excluded, but I am sure you know that too)!