Motorcycles Riding on the Footpath.

NoshowJones

We have all seen road accidents in Thailand, but has anyone ever seen a motorcyclist hit a pedestrian while riding on the footpath?

How did it happen? What was the pedestrians reaction? What was the aftermath?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worse still when they ride through the covered market in the town because they are to bone idol to get off and walk.

I've seen people run into numerous times,and like most things here it's normality to them I guess.

The worst time for motorcycles on foot paths in Sukhumvit is in the evening. I've been run into twice riders weaving between pedestrians , it's annoying.

What happened to the police busting these riders, didn't last long..

Yes i have seen a mishap as the op described. Result depends on time of day, age of individual on motorcycle, physical injury, honesty of cop investigating, , farang and or Thai involved, etc.

the incident i observed the thai driving motorcycle injured a farang walking on footpth away from approaching cycle (unseen). The police who arrived at scene said cycle on footpath against the law he called transport for farang, put motorcycle in pickup and followed injured to hospital. information later from injured said thai paid hospital bill (less than 1500 baht and they were not invo/ved in fine , impound cost etc. involving police.

it can be a crap shoot on how either party and or the police come out as most of us are aware.. shades of grey with no definate answer to virtually any question, rule, law or what you hear or observe.

Not exactly the same scenario, but I once hit a Thai lady with my motorbike. I was driving in the left lane on a major road (thanon) going about 20 km/h when a public bus in the center lane stopped and the lady stepped off the bus right into my lane without looking. I hit the brakes, my girlfriend riding on the back nearly flew over me and I drove over the lady. In just an instant I stood up, stopping my girlfriend from head diving into the pavement and lifted the bike off the lady. She scurried out from under and before I could say a word, she hobbled away into the crowd. In shock I asked girlfriend why the lady would take off so quickly: I wanted to offer her a taxi ride to the nearest hospital down the road. Girlfriend said the lady might have been afraid that I would demand payment for any damage to the bike, which there wasn't any. "A vehicle hits a pedestrian and the pedestrian pays for damages?!?"

"Depends on who hits who," she replied.

I've seen a motorbike crash into a stationary truck on the pavement on Sukhumvit at night little lighting and he was going too fast to avoid by the time he seen it, needless to say there were a few smiley faces pass him by.

No worse still when they ride through the covered market in the town because they are to bone idol to get off and walk.

I've seen people run into numerous times,and like most things here it's normality to them I guess.

Ohhh! Those walankers really piss me off. Last Sunday we were in a market and a bike was trying to get past me. I always feign ignorance of their presence, and they usually just impatiently wait for an opening beside me. This time, though, the driver barged past, knocking me with her mirror. I banged on her helmet as she went past, and she stopped...but took off again. I guess she saw the look on my face. Wifey witnessed it all and laughed and said "good on you" to me.

a few years ago I was hit by a bike racing through a market, came from behind me and slammed into my elbow and he just kept going, ignorant bastard. See it all the time, most people walk but the lazy/ignorant ones simply try to ride through the crowds, if the police actually did their job it would reduce a lot I think but everyone knows no one will stop them

Your first sentence, it is very common up here in the sticks at any open market also.

The worst time for motorcycles on foot paths in Sukhumvit is in the evening. I've been run into twice riders weaving between pedestrians , it's annoying.

What happened to the police busting these riders, didn't last long..

I remember that, like all the other crackdowns, it lasted about 24 hours.

Not exactly the same scenario, but I once hit a Thai lady with my motorbike. I was driving in the left lane on a major road (thanon) going about 20 km/h when a public bus in the center lane stopped and the lady stepped off the bus right into my lane without looking. I hit the brakes, my girlfriend riding on the back nearly flew over me and I drove over the lady. In just an instant I stood up, stopping my girlfriend from head diving into the pavement and lifted the bike off the lady. She scurried out from under and before I could say a word, she hobbled away into the crowd. In shock I asked girlfriend why the lady would take off so quickly: I wanted to offer her a taxi ride to the nearest hospital down the road. Girlfriend said the lady might have been afraid that I would demand payment for any damage to the bike, which there wasn't any. "A vehicle hits a pedestrian and the pedestrian pays for damages?!?"

"Depends on who hits who," she replied.

If the bus stopped (I presume you never had time to stop after the bus stopped) in the centre lane it was the ladys fault for stepping off the bus without looking, whether it was a bus stop or not. The driver was at fault for opening the doors so far away from the kerb.

If you had time to stop before the driver opened the bus doors, then it was also your fault for undertaking on the inside lane, you should have expected passengers to exit the bus.

This is Thailand, I could be wrong, but that's the way I would see it.

I don't get why people are so freaked out by motorbikes on the sidewalk. I've never seen anyone being a jerk on on a motorbike while driving on the sidewalk, but I have seen farang dramatically leap out of the way like an accident was imminent, or refuse to step aside when a motorbike approaches. I don't doubt that accidents have occurred, but all the motorbikes I've seen driving on the sidewalk do so carefully enough to not threaten pedestrians (again, I don't doubt that their are aggressive jerks, I'm only saying that it's far from the norm). I live in Bangkok and ride my motorbike everyday (yes, often on the sidewalk if the sidewalk is clear and it seems like the most sense to get through a traffic jam). I find there to be an appropriate amount of accommodation and give-and-take between pedestrians and motorbikes on the sidewalk, both when I am walking on the footpath, and when I am on a motorbike.

Really, I think some people have a rather restrictive sense of the rules, and they have a meltdown when they see something that rattles their paradigm.

It really pisses me off when they beep their horn and expect you to jump out of their way.

I always refuse to move out their way, then pretend I'm on the phone and leave them sitting there, then I join in and help them beep their horn

along with telling them (in Thai) what I think of them. The first time a Farang does it he will get a sore face.

I'm sure I read somewhere that motorcycles are allowed on the footpath in some circumstances.

Those dropped kerbs at junctions are not for wheelchairs!

It is against the law, ask the Thaivisa lawyer.

Exactly the same happened with the wife of our company driver. She walked away and went in a coma. This is 4 years ago and her condition remained unchanged. Very sad.

I take it you are referring to post #7.

I don't get why people are so freaked out by motorbikes on the sidewalk. I've never seen anyone being a jerk on on a motorbike while driving on the sidewalk, but I have seen farang dramatically leap out of the way like an accident was imminent, or refuse to step aside when a motorbike approaches. I don't doubt that accidents have occurred, but all the motorbikes I've seen driving on the sidewalk do so carefully enough to not threaten pedestrians (again, I don't doubt that their are aggressive jerks, I'm only saying that it's far from the norm). I live in Bangkok and ride my motorbike everyday (yes, often on the sidewalk if the sidewalk is clear and it seems like the most sense to get through a traffic jam). I find there to be an appropriate amount of accommodation and give-and-take between pedestrians and motorbikes on the sidewalk, both when I am walking on the footpath, and when I am on a motorbike.
Really, I think some people have a rather restrictive sense of the rules, and they have a meltdown when they see something that rattles their paradigm.

You are wrong, imagine the scenario, you ride your bike on the sidewalk because the sidewalk is clear, then someone walks out (maybe even a kid) from a shop entrance

and you hit him/her, or someone is crossing the road and your view is blocked by stationary traffic, and they step on to the sidewalk and you hit them.

I bet you are the type who will keep on riding on the side walk despite what I have told you.

You are wrong, imagine the scenario, you ride your bike on the sidewalk because the sidewalk is clear, then someone walks out (maybe even a kid) from a shop entrance

and you hit him/her, or someone is crossing the road and your view is blocked by stationary traffic, and they step on to the sidewalk and you hit them.

I bet you are the type who will keep on riding on the side walk despite what I have told you.

That's why I don't drive close to doorways or, when in the street, alongside buses where passengers get off.

I open my eyes when I drive, and apply other bits of common sense to avoid accidents.

>I bet you are the type who will keep on riding on the side walk despite what I have told you.

I am the type that doesn't find your example very convincing, and am slightly irritated that you think you are in a position to tell me how to drive.

I retort with an "I bet you are the type of person" statement back to you:

I bet your are the type will gets very upset when people aren't doing what you want them to? Sorry to rattle your world.

It may not be lawful, but driving a motorbike on footpaths is an accepted practice and Thais never seem to mind. Funny how some people are outraged and threaten violence because it's not the accepted norm in their home countries. It doesn't bother me a bit, and it doesn't hurt me at all to move over a couple of feet to let them by. As my father once told me, "don't sweat the small stuff."

I don't get out of their way unless injury to me is imminent. I'd really like to push one of them over,just to make my point, but I know better than to do that here. All hell would rain down on me from other Thais beating on me, to the police joining in, then arresting me! Crazy place. Best just to keep your wits about you so you can see them coming. It's one of the reasons I don't drink in Thailand any more.

When I took my written test here, one of the questions was based on what to do when riding on the pavement, as far as I am aware it is legal for motorbikes to do so. Almost every pavement has lowered kerb access soley for motorbikes.

That's why I don't drive close to doorways or, when in the street, alongside buses where passengers get off.

I open my eyes when I drive, and apply other bits of common sense to avoid accidents.

>I bet you are the type who will keep on riding on the side walk despite what I have told you.

I am the type that doesn't find your example very convincing, and am slightly irritated that you think you are in a position to tell me how to drive.

I retort with an "I bet you are the type of person" statement back to you:

I bet your are the type will gets very upset when people aren't doing what you want them to? Sorry to rattle your world.

Your last sentence, not at all, but I do want to stay safe whether I'm driving on the road or walking on the sidewalk.

Lets get one thing straight, IMO, everyone should do anything they want as long as they are not harming anybody or putting anyone at risk.

I have stated this time and again on this forum, so you have not rattled my world, now stop this ME,ME,ME attitude and stop riding on the sidewalk

before some innocent person is hurt.

It may not be lawful, but driving a motorbike on footpaths is an accepted practice and Thais never seem to mind. Funny how some people are outraged and threaten violence because it's not the accepted norm in their home countries. It doesn't bother me a bit, and it doesn't hurt me at all to move over a couple of feet to let them by. As my father once told me, "don't sweat the small stuff."

Do you have kids? do they ever walk on the sidewalk? Your attitude will soon change if they are hit and injured.

Gee whiz, you mean to say the Thais do something you farangs think is wrong? Golly, that could be culture shock; get over it. Worry about something more important, like why can't they keep their mouths shut while eating.

When I took my written test here, one of the questions was based on what to do when riding on the pavement, as far as I am aware it is legal for motorbikes to do so. Almost every pavement has lowered kerb access soley for motorbikes.

I am not saying this is the case, but I have been told that the kerbs are lowered through something to do with flooding.

There is a reason riding motorbikes on the walkway is not lawful. The walkway is a safe place for people and children to WALK. Simple.

Streets are for motorized vehicles … walkways are for people. Get it?

Gee whiz dude … that’s why people don’t walk in the road traffic.

Unfortunately, in Thailand, a law means nothing unless one suffers from unlawful acts or a policeman stops and fines you. As you say, ignoring the law is normal for Thais. Not enforcing the law is normal for Thai police.

So, why even think about becoming a first world country when laws are no big deal and ignoring laws is normal?

And finally … it comes down to respecting other people, something you seen to be lacking.

Fifteen years ago Taiwan was kind o the same. When the police got tough on the motorbike riders they had to obey the law or it cost them lots of money in fines and impound charges . One year is all it took. Taiwan is a first world country now, like Japan and Korea.