ICPC Criminal records check

Hi, has anyone got any first hand knowledge on the requirement for UK nationals to now have the icpc certificate when applying for a NON B as a teacher? . I have had some reports that all new teachers from the UK need to have this certificate to be granted a Non B visa. Does this also apply to existing UK nationals working as teachers in Thailand. Looking at the website https://www.acro.police.uk/icpc/ it would appear it is reasonably easy to get but costs 60 pounds and may take a few days to arrive, so if i need it i want to apply for it well before my visa is due for renewal.

Also we have a new teacher form the UK going to collect her work permit tomorrow and then get her visa extension. She has a police clearance certificate but i don't think it is this ICPC check certificate what are the chances of her being granted the extension?

Normally you don't need any certificate to obtain for an extension of stay in Thailand (it is not a "NON B". If you are told otherwise you should check first person with your immigration office.

I don't agree with you. It's not the schools,it's the department who issues work permits.You will not get your work permit from City Hall without a police clearance.If it is one organized by some 'Immigration Laywer' you might ,but not via the legal channels.

Thanks for the info,getting an international bankers draft and the IPC sorted and returned before the extension time would be very tight time wise so if not required it saves a lot of hassle,however has to be done soon, odd that its only Brits who need it, but this is Thailand.

Work permits are not issued at city hall, They are issued by the department of employment which is part of the Labor Ministry.

The WP1 work permit application form here lists the documents needed required to get a work permit a police clearance is not on the list. http://wp.doe.go.th/wp/images/form/Form_tt1.pdf

Not sure why you needed one but it is not a requirement and their have been no other post on this forum saying it was needed.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to advise you I personally went to City Hall in Mae Rim with our Thai human resources manager three years in a row to submit my work permit application. They did require a police clearance on every occasion. Don't believe what you read on the website,in reality it's not the same. Have you had the experience to apply for a work permit ? And without a police clearance.....

I'm sorry to advise you I personally went to City Hall in Mae Rim with our Thai human resources manager three years in a row to submit my work permit application. They did require a police clearance on every occasion. Don't believe what you read on the website,in reality it's not the same. Have you had the experience to apply for a work permit ? And without a police clearance.....

We've had lots of experience at the Labour Office, City Hall, Mae Rim, Chiang Mai - police check/clearance has never been requested.

What's your nationality? This request may be an extra requirement linked to your passport.

No,it's not. We were nine teachers employed at a private school from different countries and all had to submit a police clearance. Four from Australia,two Brits,one South African ,Philipines and USA...

You may not have noticed, but in this forum moderators and other experience people represent the experience of many thousands of cases spanning over decades. Most like you experience is due to a local civil servant making rules as he liked. It is not a national written or consolidated requirement.