Chulalongkorn water expert: Only 2 rain storms are expected rest of the year

webfact

Water expert: Only two rain storms are expected rest of the year

15-7-2558-12-11-32-wpcf_728x411.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Only two rain storms are anticipated for the rest of the year and Bangkokians should start conserving water now otherwise production of tap water will encounter acute water shortage problem if there are no rains until August 15.

The above statement was made by Mr Sucharit Khunthanakul, a water expert at Chulalongkorn University, at a panel discussion held at Thailand Research Fund Thursday morning.

He said that the government expected that late seasonal rains and from the two anticipated storms for the rest of the year would bring about 6,000 million cubic metres of water or 600 million cubic metres per month to replenish the shrinking water in the major dams so that there would be enough water reserves to produce tap water for the central region until the next rainy season.

He pointed out whether this wish for 6,000 million cubic metres of water would be fulfilled or not would be known early November. If only half of them are fulfilled, he said that second crop cultivation which is due to start late this year would be impossible.

Tap water production will be at risk of become more salty if, until August 15, there are not enough rains, he said, adding that in such a case water would have to be diverted from the Thonburi side for tap water production for Bangkokians.

Blaming El Nino, Mr Sucharit said that there will be only two months of rains and tap water may run dry and forget about rice farming.

Mr Dusadee Sukkhawat, a water expert at King Mongkut Institute of Technology, warned that the effects from El Nino would become more serious causing less rainfalls in Asia, including Thailand, and Australia.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/water-expert-only-two-rain-storms-are-expected-rest-of-the-year

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-16

The week in review:

Day 1: "Don't panic, no worries. We're all good."
Day 2: "Stock up on water now, city dwellers."
Day 3: "It's all under control. We have plenty of water."
Day 4: "Taps are running dry. But, farmers have water."
Day 5: "No water for farmers. But, city dwellers have water."

Day 6: "More taps are running dry. Still no water for farmers."
Day 7: "Everyone stock up because it's only going to rain twice before the end of the year and no one will have any water."

What do I take from all of these announcements? Hold onto your butt, it's about to get really ugly around here.

(And I'm stocking up on water. Because... yeah. Just because.)

Edited by Bellacissa

I find it amassing that over the years these so called water experts have failed to find any solutions to any problem associated with drought or flooding in Thailand. I suspect they are the same "experts" moonlighting as transport experts that have also failed to find any solution to the mass slaughter on thai roads..

Now if these "experts" would only take advice from foreign experts, those that have real degrees and undertaken real research studies, things may have improved by now. But of course that is not "Thainess". As a consequence nothing changes and stupid predictions are only trumped by the verbal garbage from fortune tellers and "lucky days" expounded by Monks

How on earth can they predict two more storms...Not one or three, but two more.

The weatherman in Australia cannot even predict the weather so precisely over a 1 week period let alone for the rest of the year.

I think this is some fear tactics to make the people reduce their water consumption.

The weatherman in Australia cannot even predict the weather so precisely over a 1 week period let alone for the rest of the year.

I think this is some fear tactics to make the people reduce their water consumption.

For once I agree with you, there is no way they can predict how many storms and how much rainfall. The only thing they can say is what the longterm averages are from now to the end of the raining season, taking into consideration that its an El Nino year.

"He said that the government expected that late seasonal rains and from the two anticipated storms for the rest of the year" Where do they get these estimates? Same source as TAT? Maybe tarot card reader near the wat? Cop with lottery number web site predictors?

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Wise words from Abraham Lincoln which these so called experts whether they be from Thailand or anywhere else for that matter should heed.

Although Michael Fish our ex British weatherman could take a lot of beating. Poor guy has never lived it down but became a celebrity overnight for all the wrong reasons.

https://youtu.be/yIQX9UhOhwU

Edited by pendingo

The week in review:

Day 7: "Everyone stock up because it's only going to rain twice before the end of the year and no one will have any water."

What do I take from all of these announcements? Hold onto your butt, it's about to get really ugly around here.

If you don't like the weather news in Thailand just wait 24 hrs and you will hear the exact opposite. tongue.png

I find it amassing that over the years these so called water experts have failed to find any solutions to any problem associated with drought or flooding in Thailand. I suspect they are the same "experts" moonlighting as transport experts that have also failed to find any solution to the mass slaughter on thai roads..

Now if these "experts" would only take advice from foreign experts, those that have real degrees and undertaken real research studies, things may have improved by now. But of course that is not "Thainess". As a consequence nothing changes and stupid predictions are only trumped by the verbal garbage from fortune tellers and "lucky days" expounded by Monks

They dont need to take advice from foreign experts as they know everything already. Just a pity they dont have a clue about handling the water systems

The week in review:

Got a real chuckle out of this one. Ugly would hardly describe it.

Fortune tellers.....and that's why Australian weather forecasters can't get it right..:)

Sorry, I think I missed the point in time when man became the master of nature and got to order events like volcanoes erupting, predicting earthquakes, tsunamis, flooding and other extreme acts of nature,

How can someone predict that nature (an organic entity) will provide precisely 2 rainstorms for the next 5.5 months.

Someone is living in cloud cuckoo land - which is a special community with a temperate climate, where the barometer sits at a comfortable 32 degrees year round and it rains for exactly 2 hours a week, on a Sunday, when everyone is taking a nap.

One doesn't wish to be facetious but over the past two decades of telling us how well the cloud seeding is, why not use this cloud seeding success that Thailand seems to have mastered,( cause no one else has ) , to create more than two rain storms and while you are about it you might be able to demonstrate to the OZ weatherman just how Thailand does use this cloud seeding, (OZ tried it back in the 1960's and it was a failure) as they could lease it in their dry summer season , if B/S was a penny a pound Thailand and it's cloud seeding programme would be under water. coffee1.gif

Exactly my thoughts...

Very Clever man...gigglem.gif

No need for Super computers in Thailand,when you have experts such

as this.sometimes it would be better if they said nothing,but good for a laugh

regards Worgeordie

what a doubting Thomas you are,don't you know he is related to the cop who predicts the lottery numbers,shame on you

Clearly this expert would be the wrong man, for the TAT to recruit, to make their forecasts of tourist-arrivals ? whistling.gif

But then again, thinking it through, if there's going to be hardly-any rain at all over the next five months, perhaps Thailand might indeed attract more sun-seeking Arabs, Indians, Chinese and Russians ? facepalm.gif

Remember that these news articles are filtered through the minds of local reporters, who have repeatedly proven themselves to be grossly ignorant about any kind of science.

Due to Thailand's geography typhoons and tropical storms almost never hit the country directly. However, typhoons that hit Vietnam and Southern China will usually dump lots of rain on Thailand. I wouldn't be surprised if this fellow was looking at the predicted number of typhoons that will hit this area before the typhoon season ends in October.

Here is a picture of last year's typhoon tracks:

track.gif

This pic shows only two typhoons hitting Vietnam, so his prediction doesn't sound that far off.

Here is this year's tracts so far:

350px-2015_Pacific_typhoon_season_summar

Edited by otherstuff1957

For the last 4 days it was raining almost all over Thailand which is happening now. I don't understand why they are saying that it is not raining?

It was just raining in Pattaya, I hope it will not rain to much in the next Month because my Roof is made in Thailand, and its leaking.