Cost of living in Thailand and income tax rates for foreigner

venkydiddi

There are a lot of expats out there who would kill to have a job offer that pays 65,000b/m.

I'm guessing a lot of westerners would kill for that in their own countries as well.

You must be joking! Sure, I would take a job paying 65K baht/month once I "retire", but until then, I rather live in a western country (i.e. the US) where I can easily make 5-6 times that amount.

If I were relegated to making the equivalent of 65K baht in the US, I would 1) be crying, and 2) probably qualify for (mental) disability benefits.

P.S. I am a software engineer.

If I would have to decide about mental disability benefit for you and you refuse to accept a 65kb job as a startup, I would declare you mentally fit but lazy.

I'm a software engineer, too.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can earn (at least) 5 - 6 times that living in Thailand and working remotely. And do so with a far lower cost of living.

To be honest whilst 65k is a 'decent' salary by Thai standards (though is toward the bottom end even locally for a senior dev with in demand skills), it's a no-brainer to me to simply use those skills working remotely from home for far more money.

I'm a software engineer, too.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Of course there is enough information given to answer this question and the answer is, yes, 65000 Baht is easily enough to live on. As for "lifestyle", anybody with even half a brain should realize that one's "lifestyle" is largely governed by one's income, or it certainly should be. Otherwise, we'll all end up like that poor rapper 50Cent, currently 28 million dollars in debt.

Of course there is enough information given to answer this question and the answer is, yes, 65000 Baht is easily enough to live on. As for "lifestyle", anybody with even half a brain should realize that one's "lifestyle" is largely governed by one's income, or it certainly should be. Otherwise, we'll all end up like that poor rapper 50Cent, currently 28 million dollars in debt.

I bet now he wishes he didnt stop masturbating.

http://www.avclub.com/article/here-is-50-cents-four-step-guide-to-stop-masturbat-85499

Only end up like this dude and others if you sell your soul then try renig on the deal.

I was earning more than that in software in BKK in 1990. I know a lot of Thais who earn more than that. Increasing skills and networking is the trade off. It simply isn't a lot of money. Nothing to do with jealousy, why do some on this board revert to such emotions without understanding that there are different living styles here....

So the logic is "Bill Gates is a billionaire and have many billionaire friends. Hence, all people are billionaires"?

Just pathetic

Mail man, bus driver, McDonalds, cleaner: normal jobs clap2.gif

May be it's your ambition, it's certainly not mine for myself or my kids...

Most of the people I know in Thailand (and from elsewhere) come from Uni with several years of experience and earn much more than THB65K

BTW, when comparing with countries like Sweden, please take into consideration the social welfare systems...

coffee1.gif

These are low-skill jobs which attract low salaries.

If you consider these jobs as "normal" I'm not surprised that you perceive a THB65K-job in Thailand as a very well paid one.

We just don't share the same values

Doesn't matter what "values" you and i have as matter of a fact is that 65K baht a month is a very good salary in Thailand.

You don't seem to know that an university graduate nurse first salary in Sweden is something like 23K SEK a month. Even the first salary for someone with B. Sc. in IT is around 27-29K depending on how good you are at negotiating. So i could as well have added nurse and junior programmer to the "normal worker" list.

To compare the 65K baht a month to Sweden your salary would have to be something like 100K SEK a month and very few people in Sweden have that kind of salary. Just as very few people in Thailand have 65K a month.

Just because you or your friends make much money does not mean everyone else make that kind of money or even make it a "normal" salary. It's pointless to debate with someone who really are saying that 65K a month is a normal wage in Thailand. So out of touch with reality...

Just to show how out of touch with reality you are i'll provide this link to you with average salary in Thailand[1].

[1] http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages

Ridiculous

This kind of "thinking" won't take you far

I was earning more than that in software in BKK in 1990. I know a lot of Thais who earn more than that. Increasing skills and networking is the trade off. It simply isn't a lot of money. Nothing to do with jealousy, why do some on this board revert to such emotions without understanding that there are different living styles here....

"Increasing skills and networking" don't fall from heaven. You've gotta start somewhere, usually not from the very top (unless you're from a hiso family)

"Increasing skills and networking" don't fall from heaven. You've gotta start somewhere, usually not from the very top (unless you're from a hiso family)

True.

Yes, that's true, but why would someone just starting out in a profession such as IT do so in a developing foreign country?

Expats with little to no experience will probably not be offered a salary higher than what would be offered a local Thai with the same level of experience.

It would seem to make more sense to start a career in one's home country where a better standard of living can most likely be enjoyed on a starting salary. After gaining new skills and experience along with a proven record, then relocate to a developing foreign country (such as Thailand), where one could attract a much higher pay rate. In any large business, true software engineers with experience and proven capabilities will be much more in demand and command higher salaries (big fish in a small pond) as opposed to "code monkeys" (small fish in a big pond).

Yes, that's true, but why would someone just starting out in a profession such as IT do so in a developing foreign country?

Expats with little to no experience will probably not be offered a salary higher than what would be offered a local Thai with the same level of experience.

It would seem to make more sense to start a career in one's home country where a better standard of living can most likely be enjoyed on a starting salary. After gaining new skills and experience along with a proven record, then relocate to a developing foreign country (such as Thailand), where one could attract a much higher pay rate. In any large business, true software engineers with experience and proven capabilities will be much more in demand and command higher salaries (big fish in a small pond) as opposed to "code monkeys" (small fish in a big pond).

Maybe something else going on that we don't know about...

The guy is from India.

Average salary for his job in India is around 30,000 INR month = @16000 THB.

Even allowing for variations in salary and living expenses, still a lot of room to play with.

nobody want pay people and I have seen that all around the world.

they pay you a commission but most of the time people work for free or a for a low pay in fear to lose their job.

regrettably this is the tendency actually . this is the reason many guys become digital nomads, consultants,... working for someone else is not like before, people use you, make you feel you are someone they can throw you away anytime.

Thailand is down, there is no good jobs in Thailand anymore.

Edited by VIPinthailand

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wish I could cut down on my air-conditioning costs, but I instantly burst into sweat every time I walk outside. This means I travel almost exclusively by taxi and I eat/shop only at expensive, air-conditioned places.

If you never expose yourself to the heat you will never aclimatise... you need to condition your body by exposure.

Turn your air con down gradually over a few months upping them temp 1 degree at a time and your body will adjust and you will feel it less.

These are low-skill jobs which attract low salaries.

If you consider these jobs as "normal" I'm not surprised that you perceive a THB65K-job in Thailand as a very well paid one.

We just don't share the same values

Doesn't matter what "values" you and i have as matter of a fact is that 65K baht a month is a very good salary in Thailand.

You don't seem to know that an university graduate nurse first salary in Sweden is something like 23K SEK a month. Even the first salary for someone with B. Sc. in IT is around 27-29K depending on how good you are at negotiating. So i could as well have added nurse and junior programmer to the "normal worker" list.

To compare the 65K baht a month to Sweden your salary would have to be something like 100K SEK a month and very few people in Sweden have that kind of salary. Just as very few people in Thailand have 65K a month.

Very few people having 65k baht job in Thailand? You gotta be kidding me, you're probably saying this to make yourself feel better. Bangkok is a city with 2 Lamborghini, 3 Ferrari dealers, thousands of condos selling for upwards of 10m baht etc. Have you ever visited Siam Paragon before? And no its not the farangs that are visiting those high end shops. A lot of people in Bangkok are enjoying very lavish living standards, the gdp per capita in Bangkok is probably 4-5x the rural areas of Thailand, I'd say the median wage is at least around 20-25k baht. So 60 is not out of the ordinary, and this amount is not even enough to command a lavish lifestyle or anything near it in Bangkok.

There are a lot of people in Bangkok who earn very decent money, the shop owners at malls, the franchisees of Burger King, Mcdonalds etc to name a few. Heck there are thousands of bars around Bangkok, and some of these establishments are indeed very profitable, the massage parlors, the gogo bars etc. I used to hangout with a gogo dancer as friends, she was earning upwards of 150k baht in low season, more than 200-250 on high seasons.

Edited by Lukecan

Very few people having 65k baht job in Thailand? You gotta be kidding me, you're probably saying this to make yourself feel better. Bangkok is a city with 2 Lamborghini, 3 Ferrari dealers, thousands of condos selling for upwards of 10m baht etc. Have you ever visited Siam Paragon before? And no its not the farangs that are visiting those high end shops. A lot of people in Bangkok are enjoying very lavish living standards, the gdp per capita in Bangkok is probably 4-5x the rural areas of Thailand, I'd say the median wage is at least around 20-25k baht. So 60 is not out of the ordinary, and this amount is not even enough to command a lavish lifestyle or anything near it in Bangkok.

There are a lot of people in Bangkok who earn very decent money, the shop owners at malls, the franchisees of Burger King, Mcdonalds etc to name a few. Heck there are thousands of bars around Bangkok, and some of these establishments are indeed very profitable, the massage parlors, the gogo bars etc. I used to hangout with a gogo dancer as friends, she was earning upwards of 150k baht in low season, more than 200-250 on high seasons.

I think you need a reality check, it might seem to you that Bangkok is chock full of rich people but really it isn't.

If I had to guess I would say that substantially less than 5% of Bangkok residents earn over 65k baht per year, the rest earn much less. In the UK less than 15% of the population earns over 32,000 Pounds per year, 32K Pounds per year is roughly double the 65K baht per year number yet the difference in GDP between the two countries is a factor of ten!

I think you need a reality check, it might seem to you that Bangkok is chock full of rich people but really it isn't.

If I had to guess I would say that substantially less than 5% of Bangkok residents earn over 65k baht per year, the rest earn much less. In the UK less than 15% of the population earns over 32,000 Pounds per year, 32K Pounds per year is roughly double the 65K baht per year number yet the difference in GDP between the two countries is a factor of ten!

I'd say you're spot on with your figure of around 5%, my prediction of a median income of 20-25k baht is not that far fetched either. If you as a foreigner are coming from a country 10000km away with a gdp per capita of at least 5x more, the top 5% is what you should be aiming at.

Edited by Lukecan

[quote name="Lukecan" post="9777392" timestamp="1440538534"?

I'd say you're spot on with your figure of around 5%, my prediction of a median income of 20-25k baht is not that far fetched either. If you as a foreigner are coming from a country 10000km away with a gdp per capita of at least 5x more, the top 5% is what you should be aiming at.

No way to join Thai upper class if you come from Farang middle class, they are a closed circle.

And no reason to try. There's an emerging middle class in Thailand. Join them and try to improve with them. But don't take anything away from Thai people, it is their country.

65kb per month should be oK if you're single and healthy.

If you get older you should maybe think about old age pension, too.

Edited by micmichd

65K isn't bad.

Pensions?? Will anyone actually be able to retire in the future? Official retirement ages are heading north everywhere

Are there private pension providers in Thailand?

Come to think of it, why would anyone who hasn't spent 30 years doing back-breaking manual labour or 5am starts every day actually WANT to retire?

I genuinely can't see myself doing less than what I do now.

Health permitting, I'm happy working 'til I drop

it's not big money but can be enough for living if you stay away from bars and money girls.

The question is, do you have a better option?

if the answer is not I recomend you to take it, just as a experience it definetely will worth. Thailand and specially Bangkok it's a funny place to live and you can enjoy and learn a lot.

There are a lot of folks who despite this offer, well they probably have better choices but not everybody it's as lucky.

they pay you a commission but most of the time people work for free or a for a low pay in fear to lose their job.

regrettably this is the tendency actually . this is the reason many guys become digital nomads, consultants,... working for someone else is not like before, people use you, make you feel you are someone they can throw you away anytime.

I have a pretty good job, as do a number of my coworkers, and are pretty much always hiring.

As long as you have a ticket out, you can go home if it doesn't work... if you have a stomach for street food it's easy. Most thais live on less than 15,000 baht. But if you shop in more falang style stores prices are comparable to the west.

I have a pretty good job, as do a number of my coworkers, and are pretty much always hiring.

I was under the impression it is almost impossible for a falang to get a job in Thailand from within Thailand?

I was under the impression it is almost impossible for a falang to get a job in Thailand from within Thailand?

Than you would be mistaken.

• 8 months later...

I live with less than 15k and I live like a guy who spend 50k.

i buy my clothes and everything on second hand market , dentist cost me 10x less and I send Thai people to take care of everything for me. I save so much that now I get really bored with saving.

I can save 60k and send home and invest on the stock market . but I make more than that. I save millions and millions of baht, it s just simply amazing.

Edited by returnofthailand