Immigration Promenada One Stop Service

Tywais

Gobs got the point I was trying to make. My point was that some governments (and we do not know if this includes Thailand or not yet) feel it necessary to cut costs in many areas. In this case Thai Immigration costs. My point was not who lives where or which direction they travel to and from.

If I am correct the Thai government is struggling with keeping up with a lot of expats and tourists. So they are finding ways to streamline their costs. If they unload a lot of the work (costs) to the agencies they effectively pass the increased costs created by increase expats and tourists on to... you guessed it... the expats and tourists. Where it should be. After all should the Thai people bear the costs of our living here?

Except this isn't "privatization" or even "outsourcing". The visa agency isn't doing the work that was once performed by the government officials....they are inserted into the process to extract a fee. The only value added - if you want to call it that - is their mysteriously instantaneous access to Immigration officials that is supposed to be provided to the general public.

And TV member Thailand is correct, as far as I can see. There isn't a nationwide Immigration phenomenon of reduced service, reduced access, and middleman hucksterism. Go over to the visa sub-forum and see if you can find any reports of this occurring in Jomtien or Chiang Rai. (Hint: you won't.)

As far as covering costs goes - they charge a fee for the visa, remember? There are fees for every imaginable piece of administrative work that Immigration does for you. The Thai people aren't bearing the costs of our living here - they charge us for it.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go inside and look around. The desks have signs over them indicating the service performed. Wait for a lull in the conversation at the desk where the officer is doing retirement extensions and tell him/her you have an appointment. It's a little right of center. You'll probably be told to take a seat. There are a few chairs inside near the door and as long as you're quiet you can stay since you'll just be there a few minutes.

They did permit the customers to wait inside the first day, but that stopped because the noise level in the room is deafening if more than 4 or 5 people are talking at once. I'd suggest you remain inside so the retirement extension officer doesn't forget about you.

i heard from a very reliable source that the officers don't want the foreigners waiting inside the office. they let them in the first couple of days to benefit from the a/c but that the stench of those who hadn't bathed, washed their clothing, or neglected their dental hygiene was so overpowering that they were all having to use inhalers constantly and/or take breaks often, and the inconvenience was interfering with their workload.

Go inside and look around. The desks have signs over them indicating the service performed. Wait for a lull in the conversation at the desk where the officer is doing retirement extensions and tell him/her you have an appointment. It's a little right of center. You'll probably be told to take a seat. There are a few chairs inside near the door and as long as you're quiet you can stay since you'll just be there a few minutes.

They did permit the customers to wait inside the first day, but that stopped because the noise level in the room is deafening if more than 4 or 5 people are talking at once. I'd suggest you remain inside so the retirement extension officer doesn't forget about you.

i heard from a very reliable source that the officers don't want the foreigners waiting inside the office. they let them in the first couple of days to benefit from the a/c but that the stench of those who hadn't bathed, washed their clothing, or neglected their dental hygiene was so overpowering that they were all having to use inhalers constantly and/or take breaks often, and the inconvenience was interfering with their workload.

I guess the agents bathe more often and have better dental hygiene so it's all beginning to make sense.

I guess the agents bathe more often and have better dental hygiene so it's all beginning to make sense.

The agents are Thai, not scumbag farang like ourselves... their perception, not mine tongue.png

It certainly does appear the Thai Immigration might be privatizing their workload.

Let me see... what other countries are privatizing public sector work into private hands. USA. UK, OZ, EU.... most of the west is doing just this.

As a side note. If the aim is to drive business to the private sector the Thais may be doing it right. In the west the government might 'hire' or pay the outside agency. Which in time becomes more expensive. This way, the Thai immigration doesn't lose any revenue. But they do save on increasing costs as the system expands as agencies can bring in bulk 90 day reports (or whatever) to process instead of individuals walking through the door.

Good point IMHO...

As a French, I know french embassy in BKK have changed their system to get a visa for France.

From some years now, the applicant has to go through a private dedicated "agency" collecting and organising all the paper-work. Though they are not entitled to decide on your ability to get a visa.

When eveything is ok, they give you an appointment to meet in person a french embassy officer, who, then, will process your demand.

And, for sure, the applicant has to pay the said "agency"...

Mmmmmh, it seems quite similar...

I dont see any similarity at all ... Your French Embassy are dealing with people that apply to enter France as I read it. We are already living here in Thailand ... See the difference ?

Gobs got the point I was trying to make. My point was that some governments (and we do not know if this includes Thailand or not yet) feel it necessary to cut costs in many areas. In this case Thai Immigration costs. My point was not who lives where or which direction they travel to and from.

If I am correct the Thai government is struggling with keeping up with a lot of expats and tourists. So they are finding ways to streamline their costs. If they unload a lot of the work (costs) to the agencies they effectively pass the increased costs created by increase expats and tourists on to... you guessed it... the expats and tourists. Where it should be. After all should the Thai people bear the costs of our living here?

Some good points here, certainly to note that it is not just the Thai government which is looking to limit costs for immigration matters. On the other hand, there are inefficiencies within the Thai system that need to be addressed in order to lessen costs and serve more people at reasonable fees. There are also problems with expatriate knowledge and behavior.

Some Immigration difficulties are associated with impractical and unproductive laws. An example is the 90-day reporting requirement which could at least be amended to require reporting only when a person moves from his principal residence to a new one.

Problems are clearly evident in very poor communications, both in using simple information tools in local offices and on-line. English --- the worldwide lingua franca --- is spoken by all of the officers I have met, but clear written instructions and other informational tools are often limited and awkwardly presented and utilized. It sounds odd, but the Immigration Department needs a marketing advisor to make its services more efficient for both staff and their foreign clients. And I don't mean the recent superficial publicity release of the department heralding the opening of th Promenada Office. It was nothing but fluff! Regular helpful information needs to be published in the Engliah and other foreign language media. (In Chiang Mai this obviously would include the Japanese.) The presentation at the English-speaking Expats Club was pleasant and somewhat informative, but in sum a wasted effort. If such dog-and-pony shows are to be given, the officers need much more assistance from professionals knowledgeable in communications to prepare them.

The lack of reliable, understandable and complete information makes life difficult for both the Immigration officers and their clients. It leads to wasted time and effort, miserable public relations for the Immigration Office, and a lack of mutual regard. It also leads to the questionable practice of employing "visa agents" to do the work that the government should be competent and efficient doing. And "privatising" Immigration duties is questionable since it is vulnerable to special access and other unfair practices.

On the other side of the desk are the expats. Many, unfortunately, obviously don't do their homework, as careful as that homework might need to be sometimes. Who hasn't seen the unprepared foreigner barge into the offices without the foggiest notion of what is necessary? Who hasn't seen the rude self-important foreigners causing problems for officers and other foreigners alike? And, yes, too many don't recognize that they are in a government office in Thailand. They lack an appropriate sense of place. Many are simply LOUD. Some seem to think that a visit to the office is a come-as-you-are party. And, yes, some need to use more deodorant.

The new CNX I/O must suit all by now.

No queue online

No 90 day reporting online

Greater demand for services

Visa companies growing in strength. Very willing to help expats but WATCH their quotes.

Can't wait for this year's suffering.

Is there some way to find a listing of visa services in Chiang Mai?

I'm quite sure that every one of them is monitoring this thread; they would be being negligent in their duties if they weren't.

Next Month the immigration at Prom will also take on the processing of Education visas this will probably add around another 50 cases per day.....

How is it you are privy to this information? And also the statement that 'other changes' are coming?

Having waded through all the posts on here, I have decided I am both lucky and determined.

I am lucky enough to be in and out of the country often enough to never have to do a 90-day report. I think the last one was two or three years ago. I can also do my multiple reentry permit at airport immigration as well. That eliminates a second reason to go to the I/O.

As for determined, I will head down to the I/O once a year to extend my retirement permission to stay as long as I can or as long as it is allowed. I don't mind getting up very early once a year. I won't be using a visa company (unless required by immigration - at which time I may decide a change of country is necessary) because I prefer not to encourage entrepreneurial greed. Oh!, Excuse me - charging whatever the traffic will bear. Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many of the visa agencies are Thai owned (i.e. really owned by Thais as opposed to Thais being nominees) and how many are owned, directly or indirectly, by non-Thais. A great imponderable, I suppose.

I know life is not particularly predictable and my circumstances may change. In the mean time, the above seems like the most reasonable way to handle the current situation since it is not going to change until immigration decides to put a more workable process in place. I don't anticipate my lifetime will be long enough to see that happen.

I wish you all luck and maybe I'll see some of you at I/O on my one day a year. smile.png

David

Edit: for spelling

Except this isn't "privatization" or even "outsourcing". The visa agency isn't doing the work that was once performed by the government officials....they are inserted into the process to extract a fee. The only value added - if you want to call it that - is their mysteriously instantaneous access to Immigration officials that is supposed to be provided to the general public.

And TV member Thailand is correct, as far as I can see. There isn't a nationwide Immigration phenomenon of reduced service, reduced access, and middleman hucksterism. Go over to the visa sub-forum and see if you can find any reports of this occurring in Jomtien or Chiang Rai. (Hint: you won't.)

As far as covering costs goes - they charge a fee for the visa, remember? There are fees for every imaginable piece of administrative work that Immigration does for you. The Thai people aren't bearing the costs of our living here - they charge us for it.

First my points are purely speculation. I have no idea that the Thai gov't is actually doing this. I toss these ideas out playing devil's advocate.

In order of your points:

1) The Thai government still handles the same paper work as before. However, as we see now, the agents who come in in bulk are processed a bit faster. In my case I was diverted to a second line during my first 90 day report to verify address. No mention was made to the 5 of us that we needed to run next door and make copies of the paperwork we had just completed. That slowed 5 people down from getting back in the 90 day line efficiently. And yes, this was incompetence of the Immigration people as someone should have instructed us to go next door and make copies. If the agency knows this beforehand the process might go faster.

2) This may be a prototype?

3) Costs in every walk of life are increasing. Do the visa fees etc cover all of these costs today as they did 5 years or 10 years ago? Look at this a different way. The Thai gov't might be trying to keep costs down by injecting agencies. Maybe they feel if they do this they can keep the fees as they are now.

I have noted several references to immigration officials unhappy serving farang due to farang bathing habits / lack there of, dental hygene, dress etc.

Well I have been subjected to these same problems with Thai' and have carried on business as usual. A meal of garlic dried squid and local whiskey is not the more appeasing odors I have encountered, nor the smell that lingers in the loo after a Thai has used /polutted the vicinity. The habit of talking while chewing a mouth full of so called food is not considered polite in the vast majority of the world. We see things in a different light even if we agree that its mostly petty complaints.

The country I orginate from accepts different people who dress, smell, eat, talk different language or very broken local/national language.They speak differently than locals and communication can be confusioning at times but every makes do with few exceptions from either side/group.

Have a little kindness and understanding and the sun shine will seem brighter.

Thailand creats many of their problems and we foreigners have to acceot the way things are and whichapparently are liked by some.either5 for job security or they enjoy being a pain in the rear.

It certainly does appear the Thai Immigration might be privatizing their workload.

Let me see... what other countries are privatizing public sector work into private hands. USA. UK, OZ, EU.... most of the west is doing just this.

As a side note. If the aim is to drive business to the private sector the Thais may be doing it right. In the west the government might 'hire' or pay the outside agency. Which in time becomes more expensive. This way, the Thai immigration doesn't lose any revenue. But they do save on increasing costs as the system expands as agencies can bring in bulk 90 day reports (or whatever) to process instead of individuals walking through the door.

Good point IMHO...

As a French, I know french embassy in BKK have changed their system to get a visa for France.

From some years now, the applicant has to go through a private dedicated "agency" collecting and organising all the paper-work. Though they are not entitled to decide on your ability to get a visa.

When eveything is ok, they give you an appointment to meet in person a french embassy officer, who, then, will process your demand.

I dont see any similarity at all ... Your French Embassy are dealing with people that apply to enter France as I read it. We are already living here in Thailand ... See the difference ?

What "costs" would that be then? It doesn't "cost" the Thai government anything for me to stay here and I pay for everything, plus all the appliances etc, hotels, public transportation, hospitals and dental that I use. The Thais do quite well out of me.

?????????????? They let the same people in the office with them at the old office and it didn't seem to be a problem then.

Good point IMHO...

Is that some kind of bad sick joke ... ? I pay myself for everything here and pay tax as well and still get no rights or nothing in return at all ... Thais in my homecountry when giving residency gets free healthcare, school, kindergarden etc. etc.

So please explain to me what costs it is Thais are bearing for me living here ... ??? blink.png

I hope that everything will work out well.

Thank you for an intelligent post. As has been stated and ignored by Thai bashers this is the start of the changes not the end. Admittedly a bad start but not the end.

I have noted several references to immigration officials unhappy serving farang due to farang bathing habits / lack there of, dental hygene, dress etc.

Well I have been subjected to these same problems with Thai' and have carried on business as usual. A meal of garlic dried squid and local whiskey is not the more appeasing odors I have encountered, nor the smell that lingers in the loo after a Thai has used /polutted the vicinity. The habit of talking while chewing a mouth full of so called food is not considered polite in the vast majority of the world. We see things in a different light even if we agree that its mostly petty complaints.

The country I orginate from accepts different people who dress, smell, eat, talk different language or very broken local/national language.They speak differently than locals and communication can be confusioning at times but every makes do with few exceptions from either side/group.

Thailand creats many of their problems and we foreigners have to acceot the way things are and whichapparently are liked by some.either5 for job security or they enjoy being a pain in the rear.

The problems are ours not theirs.

I don't see a parade of whining from them. We make a choice to live with them. We can leave the country and go back to the wonderful worlds we choose not to live in. It has to be a pretty miserable life when we can solve the problem once a year by hiring some one to do it for us for anywhere from 2,000 baht to 5,500 baht.

The reason it is in the condition it is in is because Chiang Mai is a wonderful place to live in and there are many people pouring into it. Why Chiang Mai immigration is the way it is I don't know any more than the whiners do. The one thing I do know is if my life was so miserable because I could not except a countries way of doing things I would be gone like a shot. No stopping me. I am not happy with the idea of once a year getting up early or paying the money but it is just part of the price of living where I enjoy life. When you whiners find the ideal land you want to live in that puts you ahead of there citizens let me know. I will be happy to pass the information on to the next poor immagrant unable to live under these perceived horrible conditions.

?????????????? They let the same people in the office with them at the old office and it didn't seem to be a problem then.

Got to love all these negative facts from unnamed reliable sources.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

I suggest action be taken in a similar fashion to that taken by the Japanese community. They offered drinks & food, an interpreter. Officers of I/O attended.

Good result for all?

The Japanese Long Stay Club no longer have regular visits by Immigration -- not since the move to Promenada. They aren't happy about the move to Promenada, either.

I suggest action be taken in a similar fashion to that taken by the Japanese community. They offered drinks & food, an interpreter. Officers of I/O attended.

Good result for all?

The Japanese Long Stay Club no longer have regular visits by Immigration -- not since the move to Promenada. They aren't happy about the move to Promenada, either.

That's interesting, I wonder if the new agency has a Japanese speaker, or indeed if some enterprising member of their community takes the opportunity to establish an agency of their own.

Having given this whole thing a lot of though, my conclusion is that an official fast track system would probably be much more palatable. Yes, charging for something that used to be free, but at least it would be official and transparent. Even with my strong views I wouldn't have much to object to if we had to pay immigration a fee for a nice efficient fast track service. As I say, more palatable.

Good result for all?

Huge sore thumb sticking out is there not!

Hi was this the case for all people showing 800,000 new requirements first-time for me “photo copy of every single page in your passport regardless if you have a Thai family or you are a single retiree living here for many years, besides a bank guarantee document showing funds in your Thai bank account you must also bring photo copies, and the bank account book for me first time, and I have been told by one guy the very last step the custom officer took a photograph of him with his personal camera first time ever? “

They've been taking photographs for about a year to the best of my knowledge, certainly for the last 9 months. Also 9 months ago, had to have photocopies of bankbook showing the transfer of money into Thailand and photocopies of the passport pages, photocopy of lease agreement, so things must have started changing/getting all of the ducks in a row about then

Not wishing to start yet another new thread:

I have read comments about the possibility of the postal service for 90-day reporting in CM being removed. Has this already been executed?

I have reported by post many times [EMS both ways] and never more than four working days for the confirmation to be on its way back to me.

This time [well within the available 'window'] my submission was confirmed on Thai Post tracking as being received 20th August. No sign yet of a return being sent. For sure it's only six working days and the Promenada queue frustrations have probably caused more to use the postal option but .............................

Is it simply my turn to draw the short straw [and my envelope has slipped off the pile into never-never land] or has anyone else using the CM post option experienced similar protracted processing times recently?

Thank you for an intelligent post. As has been stated and ignored by Thai bashers this is the start of the changes not the end. Admittedly a bad start but not the end.

I don't see a parade of whining from them. We make a choice to live with them. We can leave the country and go back to the wonderful worlds we choose not to live in. It has to be a pretty miserable life when we can solve the problem once a year by hiring some one to do it for us for anywhere from 2,000 baht to 5,500 baht.

The reason it is in the condition it is in is because Chiang Mai is a wonderful place to live in and there are many people pouring into it. Why Chiang Mai immigration is the way it is I don't know any more than the whiners do. The one thing I do know is if my life was so miserable because I could not except a countries way of doing things I would be gone like a shot. No stopping me. I am not happy with the idea of once a year getting up early or paying the money but it is just part of the price of living where I enjoy life. When you whiners find the ideal land you want to live in that puts you ahead of there citizens let me know. I will be happy to pass the information on to the next poor immagrant unable to live under these perceived horrible conditions.

What a whining you are doing ... Whats it to you what other people like or dont like ... If expats move away from CM cause of this harassment better for you so stop your whining please crazy.gif

What a whining you are doing ... Whats it to you what other people like or dont like ... If expats move away from CM cause of this harassment better for you so stop your whining please crazy.gif

You are new to Thai Visa I see. Well in case you haven't bothered to keep up with this thread there are over 325 posts and the majority of them are whining. I offered opportunities the people them selves can take. As well as some very unfavorable observations.

What was bothering you the fact that I stated what they said that moving to the promenade was just a start and not an end. That was a quote from them not some very reliable unknown can not be named in the know source.

I did say it was a lousey start and I apologize to you for that complaint and this observation that it is not looking good. Now I suggest you go elsewhere if you can not take whining. This thread is full of it.

No, dengue fever yes, a lot of us have had it and it's unpleasant but you have to be very unlucky to die from it. Basically, malaria is a rural thing and dengue is an urban thing, so no worries unless you are planning on going bush.

Not wishing to start yet another new thread:

I have read comments about the possibility of the postal service for 90-day reporting in CM being removed. Has this already been executed?

I have reported by post many times [EMS both ways] and never more than four working days for the confirmation to be on its way back to me.

This time [well within the available 'window'] my submission was confirmed on Thai Post tracking as being received 20th August. No sign yet of a return being sent. For sure it's only six working days and the Promenada queue frustrations have probably caused more to use the postal option but .............................

Is it simply my turn to draw the short straw [and my envelope has slipped off the pile into never-never land] or has anyone else using the CM post option experienced similar protracted processing times recently?

My 90 day report was due on Aug 18th. I posted it EMS on the 13th and received it by regular mail on the 25th at Doi Saket.

Archived