Thai wine. Where is the good stuff?

Spaniel

I say only one thing to some.... Thailand-romantics are blind and deaf to the extend that hey actually believe that thai wine are good and drinkable.... And I can agree with the guy who posted just above here.. "If just enough of this wine goes down the throat, it is all drinkable"..

Glegolo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say only one thing to some.... Thailand-romantics are blind and deaf, to the extend that they actually believe that thai wines are good and drinkable.... And I can agree with the guy who posted just above here.. "If just enough of this wine goes down the throat, it is all drinkable and so is Lao Khao as well""..

Glegolo

I have treid and tried to find a wine over here, but found nothing but gut rot. I cant understand why! they have wonderful, weather mountains, and also seem to grow a fantastic amount of grapes

I really know nothing about making wine,or the grape required, but have visited vinyards all over France Italy and Germany,and love good wine.

Come on Thailand Get your Fingers Out ( a Prince Philip Quote )

Certainly limited knowledge about wine...

Wonderful weather? Too humid,too wet in rain season not much temperature difference between night and day.

Furthermore any business have to be learned though give them time...

To the OP:try monsoon valley vineyard nearby Hua Hin ...ain't bad and German cellar master...

PS You seem to of got it all wrong!! one min you say its too wet and humid,Then you say they make good wine in Hua Hin made by a German

SO what are you trying to say? German wine is as far as I am concerned mostly gut rot anyway. Cant compare with French etc

German wine is as far as I am concerned mostly gut rot anyway. Cant compare with French etc

Well, that sounds very illiterate to me. If you would know that many wineries in AUS and US are founded originally by Germans you would better shut your mouth. High class and indivual wine comes from Europe, not from US and AUS. It's common sense

SO what are you trying to say? German wine is as far as I am concerned mostly gut rot anyway. Cant compare with French etc

German wine is as far as I am concerned mostly gut rot anyway. Cant compare with French etc

Well, that sounds very illiterate to me. If you would know that many wineries in AUS and US are founded originally by Germans you would better shut your mouth. High class and indivual wine comes from Europe, not from US and AUS. It's common sense

Excuse me, but Australian wines from the Barossa, Rutherglen, Margaret River and Hunter Valley regularly win international competitions against the best Germany and France can throw up. Obviously you've never heard of Penfolds Grange.

I have had wine from Chateau de Loei that wasn't bad at all. Rarely see it in the stores, and not cheap either.

yeah,...Chateau de Loei was it !!... I couldn't remember it...My wife and I had a couple bottles of that wine, and that was OK, not top !! but good enough to have with a good meal or on the balcony watching the sunset...it was good enough...

In the North they have those fruit wines, made with those exotic fruits like leechee, Rambutan, Strawberry, pinaples,etc....very sweet....maybe too sweet...!! something like 99. Thb per bottle....you can find them on the border check point at Mae Sai....and on the road to it.

But I would not call them wines, heavy fruit juices is more like it...! interesting tastes dough...

Best regards.

If you are just looking for something affordable and drinkable try the Thai Mulberry Wine. To me it is indistinguishable from the "real" thing and sells for around 200 baht a bottle in Tesco and Big C.

Seems Jacobs Creek, the high volume,South Australian, Barossa Valley producer (that has products on most 7-11 shelves throughout Thailand) has also identified the quality and the supply issue.

I was in "chateau" Big C on the Klang today and noticed that they have teamed up with Iconic, Thai Chef, Ian Kittichai to produce a wine they call Lamond

Awarding itself itself "the #1 Australian Wine for Thai food" at the price of Tb750 (or AUD $30 a bottle) and the lack of a leggy hostess offering a thimble full of what looks to be a Rose blend of some sorts to be served chilled caused me to pass on this sensational offer....well for the time being !!

The great thing about marketing wine products where most punters are naive is that grape variety(s) can remain a mystery.

Lots of experts here....

First, there are some amazing white wines in Germany. Ever had a glass of Riesling??

Second, even Thailand has some great wines. The 2 I personally know and like are PB Valley from Khao Yai and the one from Village Farm in Wang Nam Kiaw.

PB has 3 different reds in 3 price classes. I would avoid the cheapest called Sawasdee and go for the middle (around 800baht) and the premium. You can find them at Italasia and Wine Connection. They're actually so good that I feel confident to give a bottle to my friend who's an expert wine maker in Italy.

Village Farm also makes a nice dry and full bodied red.

So, don't believe the haters. They probably choose bottom shelf bottles and then complain about the taste.

I shall try and get some,thanks for the tip. Now back to German wine, Sorry I lived there for years,and have drunk Riesling. The best wine I had was from Bad-Kreuzsnach but not my taste, I prefer French wine anyday.

Your funny comment about bottom shelf selection Well Life is too short to drink bad wine.........

I have treid and tried to find a wine over here, but found nothing but gut rot. I cant understand why! they have wonderful, weather mountains, and also seem to grow a fantastic amount of grapes

I really know nothing about making wine,or the grape required, but have visited vinyards all over France Italy and Germany,and love good wine.

Wonderful weather? Too humid,too wet in rain season not much temperature difference between night and day.

To the OP:try monsoon valley vineyard nearby Hua Hin ...ain't bad and German cellar master...

PS You seem to of got it all wrong!! one min you say its too wet and humid,Then you say they make good wine in Hua Hin made by a German

I dont want to be rude,but read your post through,you have contradicted yourself. Thanks for the shut your mouth,you certainly do not sound like the kind of person to share a bottle of Margaux with.

I saw a documentary on a German vintner who lives in Bangkok, travels down to the vineyard once

a week, and trains for triathlons (I think). She was very happy with the progress in the quality of the

wine she had made during her time here. The Thai owner was sparing no expense. I can't remember

the winery but as I said she was happy with what she was producing.

Waauw Thaivisa is full of experts on any subject.....,i wonder why Steven Hawking is not a member tsssss

For anybody that has a passing interest in wine and/or wants to participate or learn more you could try this thread here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/639167-montclair-wine/

Whilst the initial pages are all about "boxed wines" the post has developed into a broader discussion on wine with some very learned comments from GrantSmith and Xylophone especially. Its a long thread so you may want to start at the end and work back,,,,,,,,whistling.gif

This may be stating the bl***ing obvious but for all those slagging off one or other countries wines can I just suggest that none are necessarily better than another but that it is purely what you prefer for any number of reasons. The taste and style of German wines are very different to most (but not all) French, Spanish and Italian wines for example.

Whatever you choose to like enjoy.............burp.gif

Think I'll do a road trip to Chateau de Loei next week. See what is on offer, and pick up some of the awesome chili infused macadamia nuts as well. It is a real nice drive from the North.

Edited by wimpy

i would rather fear the extensive use of pesticides on all thai grown grapes. The local fauna (insects, bugs, worms, termites and similar critters) love all western fruits because of their weak shells. That's why in Thailands grapes and strawberries need EXTENSIVE - and yes, when I say 'extensive' I mean a sh...load!!! - treatment with pesticides during their whole growth phase. Otherwise the fruits will be eaten by bugs and ants. Don't ask me how high the level of these substances still is in the ripe product. Many many years ago up north workers who were spraying strawberries in the fields without protection gear died from poisoning in large numbers. The incident had been swept under the carpets, but the base problem remains : without pesticides, you can't grow such fruit in Thailand's climate and Thailand's insect world

Wine processing leaves the grapes intact with their shell, at the pressing stage. You just don't WASH grapes ahead of the pressing as any moisture left would water down the juice. So go ahead and use your brain. I would welcome a lab test on leftover chemicals, performed by a neutral group, in order to make the picture transparent for a consumer

It seems that only in France wines have no additive ? This is why maybe some of French wine is really shiiiite ?

Well it is true that french wine is additive free, ( or supposed to be ) German and austrian wine had a very bad reputation for adding antifreeze

and aparantly it is still used ( under cover )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_diethylene_glycol_wine_scandal

mate, you really dont know do you, german are some of the best wines in the world and aussie wines match or better many french ones. The wines produced these days around the world can vary greatly and french wines are no longer the world leaders apart from champagne. Many countries produce excellent varieties as the grapes perform better in the various climates, soil conditions, weather etc. As for German wines, have you ever tried a trocken-beeren-auslese or proper ice wine, these are both truly excellent, I suggest you look them up as they are world class, by the way it is rot gut not gut rot.

It seems that only in France wines have no additive ? This is why maybe some of French wine is really shiiiite ?

Well it is true that french wine is additive free, ( or supposed to be ) German and austrian wine had a very bad reputation for adding antifreeze

did you actually read it, it was not made in Germany but imported from Austria then some unscrupulous people mixed it in with their wine but as it states "The scandal was uncovered by German wine laboratories performing quality controls on wines sold in Germany". All quality german wine is quality controlled and they are also additive free. Again I suggest you actually read up on them before going off half arsed with crap.

mate, you really dont know do you, german are some of the best wines in the world and aussie wines match or better many french ones. The wines produced these days around the world can vary greatly and french wines are no longer the world leaders apart from champagne. Many countries produce excellent varieties as the grapes perform better in the various climates, soil conditions, weather etc. As for German wines, have you ever tried a trocken-beeren-auslese or proper ice wine, these are both truly excellent, I suggest you look them up as they are world class, by the way it is rot gut not gut rot.

Tried them all mate,,, As I said before matter of taste. Ice wine is too sweet for me ,,I have also had many auslese ( if you know what auslese means? )

Its good we all have our own taste,in wine and many other things,Dont you think? I take it you are a blue-nun fan?

did you actually read it, it was not made in Germany but imported from Austria then some unscrupulous people mixed it in with their wine but as it states "The scandal was uncovered by German wine laboratories performing quality controls on wines sold in Germany". All quality german wine is quality controlled and they are also additive free. Again I suggest you actually read up on them before going off half arsed with crap.

They blended it in Germany You sound like a very nice person, Your taste in wine matches your manners.

The best wine i ever had in Germany was a gift given to me by a Burgermeister of a town in northen Germany. Hockenheim 59 ... Wine from Bad-Keuznach comes

second.

I repeat its all a matter of taste, French wine for me is the best,that also goes for the whites. For me Pouilly-Fuisse is King of white. Taste thats all Taste You can stick with your Blue-Nun

NO its Gut Rot. I was talking about what happens after drinking it. Yes many know its Rot Gut as you say. At least you admit it

They blended it in Germany You sound like a very nice person, Your taste in wine matches your manners.

The best wine i ever had in Germany was a gift given to me by a Burgermeister of a town in northen Germany. Hockenheim 59 ... Wine from Bad-Keuznach comes

second.

I repeat its all a matter of taste, French wine for me is the best,that also goes for the whites. For me Pouilly-Fuisse is King of white. Taste thats all Taste You can stick with your Blue-Nun

so you are a chardonnay drinker, that figures, if you actually knew what you were talking about you would know that the ones I mentioned were desert wines, ie, not for guzzling like cretins do, also they are some of the most expensive wines you can buy(and oldest). So which "Hockenheim" wine was it, that involves a lot of the area(biggest growing region in Germany) and as German wine has the growers name/vineyard the grapes come from on the bottles you should know the name and the varietal of the grape. Blue nun is a kids wine so I should expect you would know that name, as for the "blending" I suggest you read the google search you put up as it clearly states what I said. Trying to make out you know crap by googling it doesnt really help you when you are unaware of the facts surrounding what you write, so far you have put your foot in your mouth several times, auslese is a select grape/ wine(should mention here that my father owned a restaurant that sold a lot of german and french wines) and my family also has an estate in france that still grows and bottles wine, Dont drink a lot these days but I do still have a bottle of trockenbeerenauslese that is over 20 years old and will still be good to drink for many years to come due to its quality, by the way you sip it.

Ok. Listen my friend...in my post above I never claimed to know ALL about wine- agreed?

I never said anything about the quality of German wine- agreed?

Hua Hin is one of the dryest region in Thailand though there is no contradiction in my post- agreed?

The German cellar master has been mentioned due of her qualifications ( master degree which is pretty hard to obtain) and her skills...

Before you buffle on just try one of their wines probably " Colombard"...and let us know the outcome...