Video shows how Texas traffic stop escalated into confrontation

webfact

I'm not certain what your point is. She was free to leave, yet, she didn't. What 'courts' have decided that legal conclusion to the aforementioned stop? It is one thing to talk about phases of an investigation, it is another to say there are legally binding starts and stops.
To whit; drunk driver throws out a beer can during a traffic stop, later the beer can shows fingerprints of a felony/kidnap/missing person suspect.

My point is that the woman should have never ended up in jail.

A point that will become abundantly clear when the taxpayers of Texas have to pay the multi-million dollar lawsuit that's inevitably going to be filed, and settled before going to trial...
Nice try, but you haven't answered any of my, or your questions. Failure to obey a police officer is a punishable offense in all 50 states as well as any county or local jurisdiction. So, why shouldn't she have been arrested? It is one thing to have an opinion on a matter, it is another to state that those same laws that protect you and me are wrong when you sit on a lazy butt and criticize.

Just as a caveat, do you know anybody that does not know that failure to obey a law enforcement officer might wind up in jail?

Failure to obey a police officer is punishable??
So if the officer orders you to bend over and take it like a man you have to just obey do you?

I think you will find the order must have a legal foundation. Telling her to put out her cig had no legal directive so she was not required to obey.

Thats when the small d*ck syndrome kicked in.

She was not arrested for failing to extinguish her cigarette. And your reference to your preference to have a cop perform anal sex on you and the size of your penis has no bearing on this. Edited by Scott

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A point that will become abundantly clear when the taxpayers of Texas have to pay the multi-million dollar lawsuit that's inevitably going to be filed, and settled before going to trial...

Nice try, but you haven't answered any of my, or your questions. Failure to obey a police officer is a punishable offense in all 50 states as well as any county or local jurisdiction. So, why shouldn't she have been arrested? It is one thing to have an opinion on a matter, it is another to state that those same laws that protect you and me are wrong when you sit on a lazy butt and criticize.

Just as a caveat, do you know anybody that does not know that failure to obey a law enforcement officer might wind up in jail?

So if the officer orders you to bend over and take it like a man you have to just obey do you?

I think you will find the order must have a legal foundation. Telling her to put out her cig had no legal directive so she was not required to obey.

Okay Mr. Linky, you have gone way over the top suggesting a police officer in America, would order someone "to bend over and take it like a man." What is equally disturbing is your reference to "the small d*ck syndrome." I don't believe sexual fantasies have anything to do with this topic nor should they.

This is just a suggestion. If you are ever stopped in the U.S. for a traffic violation, simply answer the officers questions politely since there is no need for creating drama over what will probably be a verbal or written warning. Most police, when stopping someone for a traffic violation are more interested in determining if there is any criminal activity afoot, and if not will want to release you as soon as possible.

I'm surprised this event has created so much outrage from some of the Thai Visa posters. Life is not that difficult unless you are stupid. The lady in this incident besides having mental health issues, compounded her mental issues by acting stupid.

I think the police officer, once determining this lady was going to get belligerent over the traffic stop, should have written her citations for the traffic violations she committed and let her go to enjoy her miserable life.

"What are you going to do? Charge me with smoking?" - Sharon Stone as Catherine Tramell (Basic Instinct 1992)

A transcription of the verbal interaction of the Texas State Police officer and Ms Bland might be in order so I made the effort. She was asked or ordered, by my count, fifteen times to exit her vehicle.

Officer (08:41): Ok, Mam (he's about to give her a warning ticket). You OK?
Officer (08:46): You OK?
Bland:(08:47) (unintelligible) I'm waitin on you.
This is your job. I'm waitin' on you.
Officer (08:51): Oh, you seem irritated.
Bland:(08:52): I am, I really am. You stopped me.
I was getting out of your way.
You were speeding up handily so I moved over and you stopped me.
So, yeah, I am a little irritated but that won't stop you
from giving me a ticket though.
Officer (09:09): Are you done?
Bland:(09:10): You asked me what was wrong and I told you.
Officer (09:12): OK.
Bland:(09:13): So now I'm done, yeah.
Officer (09:14): OK.
Officer (09:18): Do you mind putting out your cigarette, please? I mind.
Bland (09:23): I'm in my car. I don't have to put out my cigarette.
Officer (09:24): Well, you can step on out now.
Bland (09:27): I don't have to step out of my car.
Officer (09:28): Step out of the car.
Officer (09:32): (opening the driver-side door) Step out of the car.
Bland (09:34): No, you don't have the right to do that.
Officer (09:36): (sternly) Step out of the car.
Officer (09:38): I do have the right, now step out or I will remove you.
Bland (09:40): I refuse to talk to you other than to identify myself ...
Officer (09:42): (sternly and interrupting her) Step out or I will remove you.
Bland (09:44): I can get (untelligible)
Officer (09:46): (interrupting her) Step out or I will remove you.
I'm giving you a lawful order.
Officer (09:52): Get out of the car now or I'm gonna remove you.
Bland (09:53): I'm calling my ... unintelligible
Officer (09:56): I'm going to yank you out of here.
Bland (09:56): Ok, you're going to yank me out of my car?
Officer (09:56): (leaning into vehicle) Ye ... (unintelligible)
Bland (09:58): OK, alright.

Officer (10:00): Twenty ... (unintelligible - could be a question)
Bland (10:01): Yes, that's who it is.
Officer (10:02): Yeah, well you're going to.
Bland (10:03): Yeah. Don't touch me.
Officer (10:05): Get out of the car!
Bland (10:06): Don't touch me.
I'm not under arrest.
You do not have the right to take me ... (untelligible)
Officer (10:09): You are under arrest!
Bland (10:11): I'm under arrest for what?
Officer (10:12): On radio - Probably calling for two truck or backup.
Officer (10:16): Get out of the car!
Officer (10:18): Get out of the car! Now!
Bland (10:20): Why am I being apprehended ...
You were trying to give a ticket ..

Officer (10:22): I said get out of the car.
Bland (10:23): Why am I being apprehended ...
Officer (10:25): (interrupting her) I'm giving you a lawful order.
Officer (10:26): I'm gonna drag you outa here.
Bland (10:28): So you're gonna drag me outa my own car?
Officer (10:31): (very loudly) Get out of the car!
Officer (10:33): (loudly, interrupting) I will light you up! Get out! Now!
Bland (10:34): Wow. Wow. (She exits the vehicle at this point)
Officer (10:35): (very loudly) Get out of the car!
Bland (10:37): For a failure to signal, you're doing all this ...
Officer (10:39): (interrupting) Get over there!
Bland (10:40): Right, yeah. (both walking off-camera)
Bland (10:42): Let's take take this to court.
Officer (10:42): Go ahead.
Bland (10:42): For a failure to signal, yeah.

Transcription Reference YouTube Video:

Edited by MaxYakov

All anybody has to do is watch the beginning of the dash-cam video.

It shows how the Patrolman handles stops when the law breakers handle it properly as well. He handed the young lady her Warning, wished them a good day and stepped back from the car. They then drove away.

Two minutes later he watches Ms. Bland run a stop sign and then change lanes without signaling. Her attitude takes it downhill from there.

1984 Graduate of New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy, stick that one in your pipe and smoke it. We didn't treat people like that and were taught over and over again to respect other people and their civil liberties. In the Academy the fbi nicknamed me "get a lawyer" and thanked me for me input which was correct. You see I had a lot of experience in getting a lawyer. The fbi was there to teach respect for civil liberties. The agent and I got along great, with him often borrowing a copy of my Playboy or Penthouse, law discussions over coffee etc. I did get a laugh at him trying to recall if we had met before. We had, under very different circumstances...lol. I never told him. Again you know not of which you speak. For the umpteenth time, as the cnn article and I have stated the stop is over when he finishes the citation, although most people don't know this. He deliberately, with forethought and malice escalated the situation because she was "uppity" ("arrogant" is the dog whistle for that) and stood her ground. He could have at some point when he ran 48/49-wants and warrants been sent her activity as an anti-police activist. Not saying that happened, just a possibility. According to her version of the incident he very easily could have been trying to provoke a stop by running up quickly behind her forcing her to change lanes. Regardless of how she died, it is the officer's fault. Regardless of all the right wing crap spewed out, there is a racist element to this and I'm the only one here that knows Texas, what their cops are like and Waller. As long as there is a cop and a black person involved, I automatically know which side you "people" will take. Says a lot about you, understand. BTW, when I moved back to Texas one of my good friends from childhood, Orange PD tried to recruit me for Orange PD. I used to ride with him when visiting. I had worked on a drug case with him and the Sheriff's Dept. involving people I knew. One died in prison in part thanks to me. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

It shows how the Patrolman handles stops when the law breakers handle it properly as well. He handed the young lady her Warning, wished them a good day and stepped back from the car. They then drove away.

Two minutes later he watches Ms. Bland run a stop sign and then change lanes without signaling. Her attitude takes it downhill from there.

Even the police disagrees with you and admits the trooper was wrong.

It isn't against forum rules for liberals to post links.

He has been placed on administrative duty pending an investigation. I said early on in this thread that he over reacted to her baits.

No matter how you cut it though, she was responsible for her actions and nobody else.

You liberals might try putting some responsibility her way, rather than trying to blame law enforcement every time.

1984 Graduate of New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy, stick that one in your pipe and smoke it. We didn't treat people like that and were taught over and over again to respect other people and their civil liberties. In the Academy the fbi nicknamed me "get a lawyer" and thanked me for me input which was correct. You see I had a lot of experience in getting a lawyer. The fbi was there to teach respect for civil liberties. The agent and I got along great, with him often borrowing a copy of my Playboy or Penthouse, law discussions over coffee etc. I did get a laugh at him trying to recall if we had met before. We had, under very different circumstances...lol. I never told him. Again you know not of which you speak. For the umpteenth time, as the cnn article and I have stated the stop is over when he finishes the citation, although most people don't know this. He deliberately, with forethought and malice escalated the situation because she was "uppity" ("arrogant" is the dog whistle for that) and stood her ground. He could have at some point when he ran 48/49-wants and warrants been sent her activity as an anti-police activist. Not saying that happened, just a possibility. According to her version of the incident he very easily could have been trying to provoke a stop by running up quickly behind her forcing her to change lanes. Regardless of how she died, it is the officer's fault. Regardless of all the right wing crap spewed out, there is a racist element to this and I'm the only one here that knows Texas, what their cops are like and Waller. As long as there is a cop and a black person involved, I automatically know which side you "people" will take. Says a lot about you, understand. BTW, when I moved back to Texas one of my good friends from childhood, Orange PD tried to recruit me for Orange PD. I used to ride with him when visiting. I had worked on a drug case with him and the Sheriff's Dept. involving people I knew. One died in prison in part thanks to me. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

"Regardless of all the right wing crap spewed out, there is a racist element to this and I'm the only one here that knows Texas, what their cops are like and Waller. As long as there is a cop and a black person involved, I automatically know which side you "people" will take."

Who gave you the keys to the Kingdom?

I was born and raised in Texas and spent five years in law enforcement, largely in Texas.
Your inflated ego does you no favors.

It isn't against forum rules for liberals to post links.

He has been placed on administrative duty pending an investigation. I said early on in this thread that he over reacted to her baits.

No matter how you cut it though, she was responsible for her actions and nobody else.

You liberals might try putting some responsibility her way, rather than trying to blame law enforcement every time.

Why always trying to put other people in a certain corner, do you think that gives you moral authority? Sorry to disappoint you, it works the other way.

The link to the cops transfer to a desk had already been posted. My apologies chuck, I should have known you of all people were involved with "law enforcement" in Texas. I suppose there was no racism where you grew up, because you certainly couldn't be one, right? Law enforcement in Texas, that's an oxymoron if there ever was one. It shows. rijb, you will meet plenty if you meet any. Fortunately I was in law enforcement in New Mexico, a much more enlightened state in law enforcement, back then. Now under the control of Koch (John Birch Society) bros. it has gone down hill. Again, with feeling, He deliberately, with forethought and malice escalated the situation because she was "uppity" ("arrogant" is the dog whistle for that) and stood her ground. The right wing again cannot win the argument, because they are wrong, so the attack the person. Old right wing trick that is very often used because they are very often, if not always wrong. See those words, with forethought and malice, they will be in the law suit.

Oh goodness, Chuck, I wonder if it was you who once picked me up for speeding going out of Lubbock, Texas? Sure added new meaning to the song, "Happiness is Lubbock,TX in My Rearview Mirror".

Anyway, he was a nice officer, told me to slow down and wanted to know what I was doing so far away from home and let me go.

I've been stopped for traffic violations (and a few other things) in Canada, the US and in Mexico. I've never had a problem with the police, but then I always did exactly as I was told to do. I've been told to stay in my car. I've been told to get out of my car. I've been told to put my hands on my car. I have no idea why these instructions were given, but I followed them and had nothing more than a ticket with a reasonable fine and I was on my way.

The Mexican police were a little scary, but none-the-less, reasonably nice and told me that where I was was really not a very safe area to be driving, especially at night. They made sure I had fuel in the vehicle and told me it was best to continue rather than staying at a hotel in the area.

The police officer should have called for backup, but short of calling the department psychologist, I have a feeling she was looking for a fight. Since she, and many posters seem to think she was right and the officer was wrong, she should not have killed herself. The judge would have decided.

One of the nice thing about having 'rights' is that you do not always have to exercise them all the time.

Just Another Gobby African American, and a Gobby American Cop.They deserve each other.

Probably right. They were both in the wrong. But the injustice comes when he goes home to his family and she goes to jail.

Which will cost her $500 for the bail bond fee, another couple of hundred $$ to get her car back out of impound, $1,000 to hire an attorney, and she'll miss a few days at her new job.

She's out a few weeks' salary even if she does get exonerated. More $$$ if she were convicted and fined- which she would have been without the dash cam evidence. He would have skated free if she hadn't died in jail, or hadn't had a dash cam.

Edited by impulse

Oh goodness, Chuck, I wonder if it was you who once picked me up for speeding going out of Lubbock, Texas? Sure added new meaning to the song, "Happiness is Lubbock,TX in My Rearview Mirror".

Anyway, he was nice officer, told me to slow down and wanted to know what I was doing so far away from home and let me go.

Couldn't have been me, I am not a nice person. Just ask some of the liberals around here.thumbsup.gif

Lubbock is a nice city. Sort of wind swept but the folks there are friendly and accommodating.

There are worse places.

Another issue, strangely about the Bail Bond system in Texas (among other places, but the story is about Lubbock), and how corrupt and unfair it can be.... I heard part of this driving one day in the USA and it stuck with me.

Turns out it won a Peabody Award. Good listen(s) if you're interested. One more way an arbitrary action by a cop can ruin someone financially.

http://www.npr.org/series/122954677/behind-the-bail-bond-system

Edited by impulse

Just Another Gobby African American, and a Gobby American Cop.They deserve each other.

Probably right. They were both in the wrong. But the injustice comes when he goes home to his family and she goes to jail.

Which will cost her $500 for the bail bond fee, another couple of hundred $$ to get her car back out of impound, $1,000 to hire an attorney, and she'll miss a few days at her new job.

She's out a few weeks' salary even if she does get exonerated. More $$$ if she were convicted and fined- which she would have been without the dash cam evidence. He would have skated free if she hadn't died in jail, or hadn't had a dash cam.

And that's why his actions should have been scrutiny free, which they clearly were not.

Since I lived in Houston for 33 years, right next to Waller County, and had gone their quite often, I do know the area. Orange is quite a distance from Walker County. Heck, it is almost to Louisiana.

You do not know what 'side' I am on. And you have failed to cite this fantastical 'end of stop' law. Except for citing a news station. Any cop would know that no stop, investigation, etc. is over until a judge raps a gavel.

You blame that cop for her suicide, but try to regale us with your own heinous act. Your last two sentences. Pretty disgusting.

Okay Mr. Linky, you have gone way over the top suggesting a police officer in America, would order someone "to bend over and take it like a man." What is equally disturbing is your reference to "the small d*ck syndrome." I don't believe sexual fantasies have anything to do with this topic nor should they.

This is just a suggestion. If you are ever stopped in the U.S. for a traffic violation, simply answer the officers questions politely since there is no need for creating drama over what will probably be a verbal or written warning. Most police, when stopping someone for a traffic violation are more interested in determining if there is any criminal activity afoot, and if not will want to release you as soon as possible.

I'm surprised this event has created so much outrage from some of the Thai Visa posters. Life is not that difficult unless you are stupid. The lady in this incident besides having mental health issues, compounded her mental issues by acting stupid.

I think the police officer, once determining this lady was going to get belligerent over the traffic stop, should have written her citations for the traffic violations she committed and let her go to enjoy her miserable life.

The quote was failing to obey a police officer. I indicated a situation where you do not have to do such a thing.

If you are stopped by police you DONT have to answer their questions and they have no right to arrest you for not doing so.

Thats why he is in the wrong as his department have stated.

I've been stopped for traffic violations (and a few other things) in Canada, the US and in Mexico. I've never had a problem with the police, but then I always did exactly as I was told to do. I've been told to stay in my car. I've been told to get out of my car. I've been told to put my hands on my car. I have no idea why these instructions were given, but I followed them and had nothing more than a ticket with a reasonable fine and I was on my way.

The Mexican police were a little scary, but none-the-less, reasonably nice and told me that where I was was really not a very safe area to be driving, especially at night. They made sure I had fuel in the vehicle and told me it was best to continue rather than staying at a hotel in the area.

The police officer should have called for backup, but short of calling the department psychologist, I have a feeling she was looking for a fight. Since she, and many posters seem to think she was right and the officer was wrong, she should not have killed herself. The judge would have decided.

One of the nice thing about having 'rights' is that you do not always have to exercise them all the time.

Well thats nice you did what they said. But they were lawful orders. Telling you to putt out a cig has no legal foundation. Thats where he was wrong and was the catalyst for the arrest. Even his own department admitted that.

Edit: i totally agree with your last sentence.

Edited by Linky

There is nothing wrong with asking her to put her cigarette out. I imagine it is quite distracting and a potential danger, although remote. Was she arrested for smoking?

Of course she wasnt arrested for not putting the cig out because it was not a lawful request. Which proves she did nothing wrong.

He had no legal basis to ask or tell her to do it. She had every right to refuse to put it out.

The officer never ordered her out of the car until she refused his 'request' to put the cig out. So her refusal was the catalyst that led to her arrest. It escalated the matter. If he is so concerned about such things perhaps he is in the wrong job.

Even his own dept accepts he was wrong. But if you dont think so it is a matter for you.

I'm not certain what your point is. She was free to leave, yet, she didn't. What 'courts' have decided that legal conclusion to the aforementioned stop? It is one thing to talk about phases of an investigation, it is another to say there are legally binding starts and stops.

To whit; drunk driver throws out a beer can during a traffic stop, later the beer can shows fingerprints of a felony/kidnap/missing person suspect.

Nag, her family won't get much of shyytte if she killed herself cause who she thought was her man wouldn't come pick her up. In fact, I wouldn't pay 5 figures for a case like that. Best she could do is a hung jury on the arrest issue because of her offensive mouth. As far as her death, fogetaboutit based in what I have seen and read.

The quote was failing to obey a police officer. I indicated a situation where you do not have to do such a thing.

If you are stopped by police you DONT have to answer their questions and they have no right to arrest you for not doing so.

Personally, I can't imagine being stopped by the police for a traffic violation, and just sitting there like an idiot not speaking, or responding with stupid comments. Is that what you do?

That type of behavior didn't work out well for the lady involved in this incident, and I doubt if doing as you suggest would work well for you either.

Personally, I can't imagine being stopped by the police for a traffic violation, and just sitting there like an idiot not speaking, or responding with stupid comments. Is that what you do?

That type of behavior didn't work out well for the lady involved in this incident, and I doubt if doing as you suggest would work well for you either.

If you want to engage conversation you can. If you want to sit like an idiot you can. Nothing illegal in saying nothing.

Personally, I have provided my licence and when questioned I responded saying I have provided my licence. When asked again I sat silent. Was then told I was free to be on my way.

I have worked for the prosecution many years in oz and the worst thing to do is engage in conversation with police. They are not there to be your friend, they simply want information to find out how they can charge you.

So by all means be nice and chatty, but there is also nothing illegal about saying nothing no matter how silly you think it is.

So as she was not charged with refusing to put out her cig it proves she did nothing wrong. It was the officer's response that was wrong. Thats what his dept has said. If you dont agree then write and complain to his boss and see how that goes.

You're right about them wanting information to charge you.

My 19 year old daughter was pulled over for speeding. The cop asked her why she went over the speed limit. She told him she was trying to beat her friend to a restaurant. She was arrested for racing and I had to bail her out of jail in the middle of the night. It was a nightmare. And I think it's still on her record.

If she had kept her mouth shut, she would have received a simple speeding ticket.