Sending debit cards to Thailand

Jay1

Hello all.

I have recently had a couple of new debit cards sent to my parent's house in UK. My dad has activited both of these cards for me at a bank machine as I assume this cannot be done using Thai bank machines. I might be wrong to assume this?

I am now looking at getting them sent to Thailand. Has anyone got any experience of doing this? If so which service did you use? Standard or even recorded delivery is a no no for me as the cards have been activated and i'd be worried sick about fraudulent use.

Any advice would be great. Cheers.

If you have on line banking -- you should have activated the cards On Line ... Even if Pre-Paid Debit cards on line activation should have been an option.

If activated the cards can be misused if they should fall into the wrong hands... Never put any information on the outside of the envelope about the exact contents ... 'Documents' is all that should be needed. I recommend DHL ...expensive -- but it works.

The problem with activating them online is that I need the cards to use the PinEntry device to enable me to use online banking. Not sure if they would work in the PinEntry device before they have been activated.

From the UK, Royal Mail International Signed For works well, is reasonably priced and requires a signature at the far end so less chance of going astray.

For future reference, the cards will work in your PIN machine before activation and you can usually activate by phone as well.

Bank accounts are just different ... my on line banking system has its own pin number for the account -- used to verify my account password ... two layer password in effect. My debit cards has a separate pins applied at activation.

Although regular mail from the U.S. is obviously not the same as regular mail in other countries -- the problems I encountered happened on the Thai end. Without a tracking number I had two debit cards get 'lost' in Thailand -- 'lost' by Thai Post. I had to use FedEx and DHL giving tracking numbers from end to end...

Thai Post EMS is good... But my two attempts using regular mail from the U.S. did not get into the Thai Post EMS system -- they were just transferred to Thai Post regular mail and got 'Lost (no tracking means a worker can just keep anything he/she wants to keep).

The problem with activating them online is that I need the cards to use the PinEntry device to enable me to use online banking. Not sure if they would work in the PinEntry device before they have been activated.

PinEntry device on the card? Have not seen that yet.

I just get my replacement cards sent internationally directly from the bank (usually a $15 fee). Then I activate them by calling the number on the card and they are good to go.

It's not rocket science.

If the cards are linked to your online banking then you might be able to set the withdrawals to zero and lock out all purchases until the cards arrive. You then reset the limits/purchases. This will at least ease your mind about misuse of the cards in transit.

Mostly good advice here.

You can freeze (NOT cancel) the cards purchasing ability if you cannot manually set the purchase limit to '0'.

Mail using EMS as documents. Can use regular airmail also. Try to use security envelope or re-use the envelope the bank sent the cards with.

My sister in the U.S. sends me such cards but she waits until I confirm receipt before she activates them herself.

Plain U.S. mail, with a few sheets of paper wrapped around. Has worked, haven't had one go astray as yet.

Mac

I have mine sent by registered mail by my sister but only one card at the time.

I activate mine by phone ( Canadian Bank ) when I have them. I would not send an activated card by mail or courier service.

Edited by cnx355

As above, I am fedexing my 2 from a mail forwarding service before I activate them.

I recommend you have the cards in hand before you activate.

Can do online or by phone. They may want to verify your identity as they will know you are doing this from Thailand. Just be honest and answer the questions.

Also...I have always had to verify that I am using these cards overseas...in what countries and for how long. You can wrap everything up with a simple phone call. Cards from my country are flagged and frozen, if the account holder does not inform them that they will be used outside the country.

From the UK, Royal Mail International Signed For works well, is reasonably priced and requires a signature at the far end so less chance of going astray.

For future reference, the cards will work in your PIN machine before activation and you can usually activate by phone as well.

Agreed; Secured in a suitable disguise (magazine) with a buisness-like envelope.

I used DHL. Costs £37 but is properly tracked all the way, they even supply the envelope.

Post office only track to Heathrow then nothing.

Takes about 5 days with DHL.

Once it leaves the UK and after it arrives in Thailand it can be tracked on the Thai post website (EMS)

I think the odd card doesn't make it but if you send it hidden in amongst some other items and send it registered you stand a good chance.

We sent a card from Australia and made it No worries.

I used DHL. Costs £37 but is properly tracked all the way, they even supply the envelope.

Post office only track to Heathrow then nothing.

Takes about 5 days with DHL.

Once it leaves the UK and after it arrives in Thailand it can be tracked on the Thai post website (EMS)

I recently had new UK bank debit cards sent here.No receipt after 10 days. I emailed my complaint to Thai Post,they replied with a complete list of where my post was and it arrived 2 days later.

So no complaints from me about Thai Post.

As most UK banks will not send cards abroad, they go to my UK address then I Use Royal Mail Recorded with no problem. Even if activated you still need a pin number to use so make sure that when you send the card there is nothing in the package to indicate your pin number.

If you have on line banking -- you should have activated the cards On Line ... Even if Pre-Paid Debit cards on line activation should have been an option.

If activated the cards can be misused if they should fall into the wrong hands... Never put any information on the outside of the envelope about the exact contents ... 'Documents' is all that should be needed. I recommend DHL ...expensive -- but it works.

Yes, I have my cards sent to a US address. They send them onto me using regular airmail usually, at most by registered mail, BUT they are not activated until I receive them ... I do it online now, but before I would call the banks collect and do it. Usually sent to me inside a greeting card and some folded sheets of paper to conceal shape of card. Never had one go missing yet.

thai post is good but tell them,,, the receiver have sing for it that what I do easy ,,,and activate card by enter net bank web site ,,

"the receiver have sing for it"

I don't think my postman is a fan of karaoke.

PinEntry device on the card? Have not seen that yet.

I just get my replacement cards sent internationally directly from the bank (usually a $15 fee). Then I activate them by calling the number on the card and they are good to go.

It's not rocket science.

It's not rocket science if you know that your bank can do that for you Edited by Jay1

Cool. Thanks for the replies. I will phone my banks and ask them if it's possible to activate them via telephone.. Then order some new cards that haven't been activated yet. Thanks again for your replies

i have never recieved a debit or credit card here and ive had them sent on three occasion by post. i would tell the bank you've lost the cards and to send new ones and to activate them while you are here. you can activate them online or over the telephone

In the US we activate cards based upon home phone number. I buy a Skype US number which I can use anywhere in the world. So my sister can mail me un-activated cards which is safer and then I can activate them via Skype when they arrive.