No price limits on property ownership in Indonesia by foreigners

webfact

No price limits on property ownership in Indonesia by foreigners

24-7-2558-9-54-04-wpcf_728x413.jpg

INDONESIA: -- The Jakarta Globe reported that the Indonesian government will not set a minimum value on homes that foreigners will be allowed to purchase, citing Ferry Mursyidan Baldan, the minister of land and spatial planning as saying on Wednesday.

The minister said a regulation on the matter was being drafted and it would dispense with a previously proposed restriction that foreigners should be allowed to buy property valued at Rp 5 billion ($373,500) only.

Ferry said the minimum value was not needed, reasoning that with the property prices constantly increasing, the restriction would be quickly outdated. As long as the buyers has a residence permit, they should be able to choose wherever they want to live, the minister said.

The government’s opening up the property sector to foreign buyers comes after lobbying from Real Estate Indonesia, the country’s biggest association of property developers, who have expressed concern about flagging domestic demand as purchasing power wanes amid an economic slowdown.

Under the current regulation, foreigners holding a right of use certificate, or hak pakai, must renew their permit every 25 years. The new regulation will abolish the time restriction and allow foreigners to pass the property down to their children. Still, foreigners will not be entitled to the highest form of property ownership, hak milik, or freehold.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/no-price-limits-on-property-ownership-in-indonesia-by-foreigners

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-24

Absurd remark there, as many Indonesians are christians. Unfortunately, some people talk about the "muslim world" without even living there or gathering with muslim people, having said that religion wasn't the article's primary focus.

Plz read the world headlines, Will. 99% of the terrorists of the world are muslimes. At least 99+% of the beheaders are muslimes. Sure, not all are bad guys but the bad guys are muslimes, generally. And they are not known to be very tolerant towards christans or muslimes of a different persuasion.

And it's all in their 'holy book': "chop the infidel". God says so.

Live there if you like. Erect a cross, even.

Absurd remark there, as many Indonesians are christians. Unfortunately, some people talk about the "muslim world" without even living there or gathering with muslim people, having said that religion wasn't the article's primary focus.

From Wikipedia

Indonesia also has a larger Muslim population than any other country in the world, with approximately 202.9 million identifying themselves as Muslim (87.2% of Indonesia's total population in 2011).[1]

Absurd remark if almost 90% is muslim ??

Instead of staying on topic, you guys are drifting to religious confrontations just like media gave you as a brainwash program like we feed babies with tasteless purees.

To answer your concerns, there are many churches (and crosses) in Jakarta, it's not even a problem except for people who talk about what they never experienced. Not sure if you are talking about the guys from ISIS sponsored by well known foreign agencies, but It really looks like you never lived in a muslim country.

BACK TO THE TOPIC, it's great to see a SEA country allowing full residential ownership. Not sure if it would ever come to Thailand!

Instead of staying on topic, you guys are drifting to religious confrontations just like media gave you as a brainwash program like we feed babies with tasteless purees.

To answer your concerns, there are many churches (and crosses) in Jakarta, it's not even a problem except for people who talk about what they never experienced. Not sure if you are talking about the guys from ISIS sponsored by well known foreign agencies, but It really looks like you never lived in a muslim country.

BACK TO THE TOPIC, it's great to see a SEA country allowing full residential ownership. Not sure if it would ever come to Thailand!

IMHO ChrisY1 made a very valid comment linked to the article. It was your response if anything that took it further into the religious aspect.

Being pedantic some would also argue that it cannot be "full residential ownership" when the article specifically states -

Still, foreigners will not be entitled to the highest form of property ownership, hak milik, or freehold.

mellow.png

IMHO ChrisY1 made a very valid comment linked to the article. It was your response if anything that took it further into the religious aspect.

Being pedantic some would also argue that it cannot be "full residential ownership" when the article specifically states -

Still, foreigners will not be entitled to the highest form of property ownership, hak milik, or freehold.

mellow.png

Off topic: I'd worry more being a christian in a "christian" country right now. Of course, we can always speculate, but that's not making his comment more valid. I'd be more than happy to hear comments from anyone who lives/lived in a muslim country, but not willing to see hate speech just because ignorance leads people to do so.

It isn't freehold, but it's a residential ownership with a certificate. Something Thailand doesn't offer right now.

mellow.png

Off topic: I'd worry more being a christian in a "christian" country right now. Of course, we can always speculate, but that's not making his comment more valid. I'd be more than happy to hear comments from anyone who lives/lived in a muslim country, but not willing to see hate speech just because ignorance leads people to do so.

It isn't freehold, but it's a residential ownership with a certificate. Something Thailand doesn't offer right now.

Off topic - if you consider the comment mentioned as "hate speech" I suggest you may want to re-read it after removing the PC spectacles.

As to freehold you can buy a condo in Thailand as part of the foreigner allocation without any other restrictions that I am aware of......coffee1.gif

Often thought Indonesia a good choice to retire.....however, the way the muslim world is shaping....being a christian in Indonesia could have complications some day.

Lots of Christians in Indonesia, but hey just convert....

Indonesia has had problems with Muslim extremists (or whatever they choose to call them) for some time. Look it up.

This pic was taken in 2006 on an out-of-the-way island. A few years before a boat load of the faithful landed and did commence to seek out Christians and burn down their houses. It was not their neighbors that incited it.

post-12743-0-67465200-1437767791_thumb.j

Often thought Indonesia a good choice to retire.....however, the way the muslim world is shaping....being a christian in Indonesia could have complications some day.

On Bali for example you don't get any sense of being in a Muslim country.

The topic is buying property and living in Indonesia. A serious problem if anyone contemplates doing so is the majority religion. Government could easily adopt sharia law which would seriously affect Christians, Hindus etc who live there.

Religious comments in this context are NOT off topic.

Please note: I lived in Saudi Arabia for 5 years and have spent a lot of time in Indonesia. I DO know what I'm talking about.

Religious concerns are still off topic. Some islands in Indonesia apply already sharia law and many foreigners still live there. Besides, statistics show that there's a higher probability of being kidnapped and killed in Mexico by christians than beheaded in the "muslim world".

PEACE

By the way, you can't own any residential land in Thailand as a foreign citizen, as opposed to Indonesia. (On topic)

absolutely not absurd at all, rather spot on.

I am in Indonesia frequently and quite fluent in Bahasa.

The situation gets worse and worse every year, and I would not want to live outside the big Cities or Bali / North Sulawesi / Timor Barat as non-Muslim nowadays, unlike back in 2002 or so.

Big Cities r still okay, but I feel the resentiments growing every year. The latest Highlight is the looming "Alcohol-bill" which will make illegal any consumption of alcohol, except for touristy areas in Bali, and a nationwide ban on alcohol sales outside of Bali (not sure if Sulawesi Utara will be excluded too).

I am coming to Indo since year 2001, BTW, and spend no less than 2 months a year there

There are areas of Indonesia that ARE NOT predominantly Muslim.

I have no problems with Islam. I am not afraid of Muslims. In my travels I have never had anyone threaten me, denounce me, etc. for not being among the faithful. Some years back I came to the conclusion that the people of Indonesia are Indonesians first, meaning they regard you in terms of their culture and hospitality, and they will treat you graciouly unless you give them reason not to. Religion and politics come later. What does concern me is propagandizing -- how many times will someone hear "US is satan" before it starts to stick? This an addition to the stuff that is just false, such as that the Al Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem is being torn down at this very moment! They've been on about that one for well over ten years, you'd think the wrecking would be done by now. wink.png

One thing that's happened to me in the Muslim areas of SEA (and also in South Africa) is I'll get to chatting with a Muslim fellow in traditional garb and eventually it will turn into a lecture on conservative values, that I should be with my family playing my role as father/husband/son/etc rather than wandering the world. There will be mention of god and what he wants but nothing regarding any particular faith. Really, it's like listening to an evangelizing christian in the US going on about 'family values.' When in Malaysia you may notice that certain of the big department stores have Focus on the Family on the PA system, as opposed to muzak. That should tell you something. I don't feel threatened or offended, but it is boring. If an occidental was laying this stuff on me I'd probably tell them where to go.

Indonesians know they live in one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and I've heard lots of humor from them regarding this. "This year we are number three, but maybe next year we will be number one again!" But this would be the main reason I wouldn't buy property there. Hygienic conditions, infrastructure and natural disasters ("ring of fire") would be next. The Malaysians and Indonesians are probably the worst plumbers in the world. Also, Indonesian aircraft have a tendency to fall out of the sky, you'll see lots of reports on this on news over there; we hear about the airliners on the international news, but usually not when it's a small non-tourist plane or a military helicopter.

absolutely not absurd at all, rather spot on.

I am in Indonesia frequently and quite fluent in Bahasa.

The situation gets worse and worse every year, and I would not want to live outside the big Cities or Bali / North Sulawesi / Timor Barat as non-Muslim nowadays, unlike back in 2002 or so.

Big Cities r still okay, but I feel the resentiments growing every year. The latest Highlight is the looming "Alcohol-bill" which will make illegal any consumption of alcohol, except for touristy areas in Bali, and a nationwide ban on alcohol sales outside of Bali (not sure if Sulawesi Utara will be excluded too).

I am coming to Indo since year 2001, BTW, and spend no less than 2 months a year there

Off topic again, but if your example is about the alcohol ban law, you are really stepping on your own foot, as Buddhist Thailand is adopting the same measures about alcohol restrictions. One more proof is not about the "Muslim world" absurd rhetorical point.