Why this cynicism against Thailand?

drronnie

You keep telling yourself it's better to be old. I guess you need to believe that.

The topic of this thread is why this cynicism against Thailand. It is better to be young in California and old in Thailand. If you are old in California or young in Thailand you are going to have problems and cynicism is one.

I'm sure your visa is top secret but for most of us a retirement visa costs 1900 baht and takes about 20 minutes per year. Most young guys not married to a Thai national don't have it that easy (Except you, I imagine but don't know. Feel free to tell us how easy it is for you to stay in Thailand.).

If you put words in my mouth you try and be accurate.

Edited by lostoday

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Hume nailed the problem over 250 years ago. Habit and custom are the great guides to human conduct. Reason plays a very minor part. So people see "easy wins" in Thailand and they can't understand why the Thais don't obey the dictates of reason, but (for example) Brits similarly seem to find it impossible to use reason to manage their affairs, and when they do it causes riots. For example, the "poll tax" - the community charge - meant paying an equal share of 20% of local government expenditure, with a further 80% rebate for students and the unemployed. The idea was to make people pay some attention to local government spending, which was out of control. Eighty percent of the funding would still come from central government, and that would be raised mainly from the wealthy. No American or Australian would think that this was so outrageous that it should provoke riots, but it did.

People think their commitments and beliefs follow on from reason, but they don't. What actually happens is that they adopt the beliefs and practices of the community and then - maybe in their forties or fifties - they begin to see the sense in the policy. This person goes to Thailand and says, "Why can't you control these aggressive dogs and get the scooters off the pavement, for **** sake? It's obvious". Trouble is that it's obvious that Britain doesn't have the dough to keep paying single parents with three kids and a 16 hour a week minimum wage job three grand in benefits. It's "obvious", but we can't see it, just as the Thais can't see what reason (supposedly) dictates in their situation. It can take a lot of time to turn a country around.

Edited by Craig krup

David Hume nailed the problem over 250 years ago. Habit and custom are the great guides to human conduct. Reason plays a very minor part. So people see "easy wins" in Thailand and they can't understand why the Thais don't obey the dictates of reason, but (for example) Brits similarly seem to find it impossible to use reason to manage their affairs, and when they do it causes riots. For example, the "poll tax" - the community charge - meant paying an equal share of 20% of local government expenditure, with a further 80% rebate for students and the unemployed. The idea was to make people pay some attention to local government spending, which was out of control. Eighty percent of the funding would still come from central government, and that would be raised mainly from the wealthy. No American or Australian would think that this was so outrageous that it should provoke riots, but it did.

People think their commitments and beliefs follow on from reason, but they don't. What actually happens is that they adopt the beliefs and practices of the community and then - maybe in their forties or fifties - they begin to see the sense in the policy. This person goes to Thailand and says, "Why can't you control these aggressive dogs and get the scooters off the pavement, for **** sake? It's obvious". Trouble is that it's obvious that Britain doesn't have the dough to keep paying single parents with three kids and a 16 hour a week minimum wage job three grand in benefits. It's "obvious", but we can't see it, just as the Thais can't see what reason (supposedly) dictates in their situation. It can take a lot of time to turn a country around.

Food for thought.

Thanks for the post.

The corruption in everything makes me cynical about LOS.

I didn't notice it till I lived here, but it's pretty bad where I live.

That's because you have a business here - don't you have a beach resort or something like that?

Farangs who keep a low profile usually don't get shaken down so often.

Among my Thai family and neighbours it's mostly live and let live.

That's the way I like it.

Actually, there is enough money in Britain to pay the unmarried mothers with a whole passle of kids, but is it a good thing to pay the uneducated and ignorant enough money to keep producing kids that will in turn be uneducated and probably hoodlums?

More to the point, is it a good thing to be paying people to have children in an overpopulated world?

The corruption in everything makes me cynical about LOS.

I didn't notice it till I lived here, but it's pretty bad where I live.

That's because you have a business here - don't you have a beach resort or something like that?

Farangs who keep a low profile usually don't get shaken down so often.

Among my Thai family and neighbours it's mostly live and let live.

That's the way I like it.

Wish I had a wife that had a beach resort. I'd be a happy, happy bunny.

For myself, I'd stick a red hot pocker in my eye before I put any money into a business in LOS. I live in LOS as a retired man, I have no interest in subjecting myself to the uncertainties and hassles of owning a business here.

More to the point, is it a good thing to be paying people to have children in an overpopulated world?

It's only the India and China bits that are overpopulated.

Are you suggesting that white and black people all commit racial suicide by not reproducing?

When you are fed up with Western world dogmas and you discover the anathema Thailand you think you found the real place to live your life, until 10 years later you realise Thailand is a lie.

Then cynicism comes in at hand.

I hear where you're coming from. But Thailand didn't lie to you. Thailand let you lie to yourself. There's a difference.

Trouble is that it's obvious that Britain doesn't have the dough to keep paying single parents with three kids and a 16 hour a week minimum wage job three grand in benefits. It's "obvious", but we can't see it, just as the Thais can't see what reason (supposedly) dictates in their situation. It can take a lot of time to turn a country around.

Actually, there is enough money in Britain to pay the unmarried mothers with a whole passle of kids, but is it a good thing to pay the uneducated and ignorant enough money to keep producing kids that will in turn be uneducated and probably hoodlums?

I was quite shocked to discover that a single parent with three kids working in London on a 16 hour a week minimum wage job earns £500 in a month and receives three grand a month in benefits, and it ain't all Housing Benefit - nothing like it.

The whole of government accounts deficit is still above £150bn, and even their best measure is £75bn. Tax credits are £30bn, Housing Benefit is nearly as much and all in-work benefits come to £120bn. We currently raise nearly 30% of all income tax from the richest 1%, and the 50% tax band either cost money or raised less than a billion - we've pushed the rich as far as we can. The average Brit receives £11,000 a year in state services more than they pay in taxation. Any EU citizen can set themselves up in the UK, and Italy and Greece can turn anyone they like into an EU citizen.

So - 1) we borrow to pay the benefits, 2) we can't borrow for ever, 3) we've pushed the rich as far as we can, and 4) we can't even cap the total number of claimants under existing rules. Any non-Brit can see that this has to pop, but Brits think it's just fine because people can't see what they're close to. Let's face it, most people pay no attention at all to anything until it's too late.

Are you suggesting that white and black people all commit racial suicide by not reproducing?

Rubbish. Africa is totally overpopulated, which is why they are trying to move to the west. Overpopulation isn't just the numbers, it's the ability of the country to sustain the population and have jobs, heath care etc for everyone.

Fat chance of that happening voluntarily. The world has at least 50% too many people to be sustained in a decent lifestyle. If the human race continues to overbreed itself, it will be like the lemmings and many millions will die, one way or another.

Rubbish. Africa is totally overpopulated, which is why they are trying to move to the west. Overpopulation isn't just the numbers, it's the ability of the country to sustain the population and have jobs, heath care etc for everyone.

Fat chance of that happening voluntarily. The world has at least 50% too many people to be sustained in a decent lifestyle. If the human race continues to overbreed itself, it will be like the lemmings and many millions will die, one way or another.

You've never been to Africa then?

A place where you can drive all day without seeing anyone.

Happy for you to enter the Darwin awards though, good luck winning.

When you are fed up with Western world dogmas and you discover the anathema Thailand you think you found the real place to live your life, until 10 years later you realise Thailand is a lie.

Only if you were stupid enough to mistake a holiday destination for your future home.

Some of us were more realistic about Thailand in the first place.

You assume alot as always, so those of us whose lifestyle allows us to make Thailand our home after spending time here are stupid. My home can be anywhere, but I have a family here so this is where I live.

The unrealistic aspect to living in Thailand is to burn your bridge on your way here.

With this massive pr campaign going on in Thailand has anyone noticed how the slogan is incorrect

Surely it should be

CYCLE FOR MOM

OR

CYCLE FOR THE QUEEN

bike for mom sounds stupid

Gives inpression that thais should buy bike for their mother

Or am I reading it wrong

Only if you were stupid enough to mistake a holiday destination for your future home.

You assume alot as always, so those of us whose lifestyle allows us to make Thailand our home after spending time here are stupid. My home can be anywhere, but I have a family here so this is where I live.

The unrealistic aspect to living in Thailand is to burn your bridge on your way here.

When did I say that? I spent time here before moving here. I imagine most people do.

What's foolish is to believe that life here will be like one long holiday, and that Thailand really is the carefree paradise that tourists perceive it as. If you were naive enough to come here with those expectations, then you're setting yourself up for a disappointment.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the bridge burning stuff, though.

Edited by SoiBiker

With this massive pr campaign going on in Thailand has anyone noticed how the slogan is incorrect

Surely it should be

CYCLE FOR MOM

OR

CYCLE FOR THE QUEEN

Or am I reading it wrong

"Cycle" is a tricky word for Thai people to pronounce. "Bike" is easier.

What's foolish is to believe that life here will be like one long holiday, and that Thailand really is the carefree paradise that tourists perceive it as. If you were naive enough to come here with those expectations, then you're setting yourself up for a disappointment.

Six years so far and it's been one big long holiday for me, no disappointments yet.

Six years so far and it's been one big long holiday for me, no disappointments yet.

I'm guessing your idea of a holiday isn't necessarily the same as anyone else's.

I'm guessing your idea of a holiday isn't necessarily the same as anyone else's.

Holiday to me means cycling, running and hiking every day.

When I was younger it meant, sailing, diving, ski-ing and swimming.

Only the sports change!

What's your idea of a holiday then?

Surely it should be

CYCLE FOR MOM

OR

CYCLE FOR THE QUEEN

Or am I reading it wrong

Biking is commonly used as a verb in US and Canada, don't know about other English speaking countries.

Bike for Cancer isn't unusual back home.

When did I say that? I spent time here before moving here. I imagine most people do.

As in selling all you own in your home country to invest in your new life in LOS.

With enough money you can overcome any disappointments.

Holiday to me means cycling, running and hiking every day.

When I was younger it meant, sailing, diving, ski-ing and swimming.

Only the sports change!

What's your idea of a holiday then?

My favorite sporting event is 12oz. curls with good friends or new friends.

Rubbish. Africa is totally overpopulated, which is why they are trying to move to the west.

That's an unbelieveably stupid

thing to say. Africa isn't over

populated. Don't open your

mouth unless you know what

you're talking about

We currently raise nearly 30% of all income tax from the richest 1%, and the 50% tax band either cost money or raised less than a billion - we've pushed the rich as far as we can.

Since the richest 1% possess over 50% of the wealth, it doesn't seem fair that they only pay 30% of the taxes.

As far as pushing them as far as we can? Not even close. That's what they want you to think.

As in selling all you own in your home country to invest in your new life in LOS.

With enough money you can overcome any disappointments.

I didn't own much in the last place, either.

Possessions weigh you down.