Baht unlikely to slide below 35/$

whistling.gif It is only a guess but I say not more than 36 Baht to a dollar.

Mind you, I am living on a monthly.dollar pension

My last pension "cost of living" increase was 1 January 2015...so my pension in dollar amount has stayed the same since 1 Jan 2015.

The amount in the bank each month in Baht however has changed for 54,000 Baht in January's deposit to over 59,000 Baht in August 2015.

I'm waiting for September's pension deposit next week.....hoping to go past 60,000t Baht monthly for September's deposit.

I'm not complaining.

Good for you!

That's a meaningful monthly increase.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last week's historic stock market crash was caused not by China, but by the US Federal Reserve, according to former US Congressman Ron Paul.

In a column published on his website Sunday, Paul blamed the crash on flawed monetary policy from the Fed, and not on China’s recent currency devaluation, as many experts said.

"The Federal Reserve's inflationary policies distort the economy, creating bubbles, which in turn create a booming stock market and the illusion of widespread prosperity. Inevitably, the bubble bursts, the market crashes, and the economy sinks into a recession," said the former congressman from Texas.

An increasing number of American lawmakers have incorrectly proposed fixing flaws in the US monetary system by forcing the Fed to follow a "rules-based" monetary policy, Paul said.

Judy Shelton, Ph.D. closed out the conservative Jackson Hole Summit this past weekend by offering a practical pathway to re-restore the U.S. dollar as a gold-backed currency without economic disruption by having the Fed pledge about 7 percent of America’s gold in Fort Knox as collateral to issue gold-convertible Treasury Bonds.

Dr. Shelton argued that by allowing the U.S. monetary system to be administered by a group of supposed experts, the policies they implement will better serve the interests of the experts than those of the American people. She believes Americans want their money to function as a useful tool for measuring value, not as the means through which government attempts to implement economic and social policy.This is especially true, if that social policy primarily benefits crony capitalists.

Shelton further argues that since 1970, the Federal Reserve’s central planning has resulted in 90 percent of Americans seeing no inflation-adjusted income growth, while the top 10 percent of Americans saw their inflation-adjusted income more than tripled. Many economists believe the reason the top 10 percent have benefited is because they have the resources to game the Fed’s monetary policies to maximize their own returns.

Article

In any currency pair there is 2 sides to the story.

Will the Thai economy continue to slide and push it to 37, or

has the fed got it wrong and the dollar slide back to where it came form.

The dollar is certainly in a more precarious position than the baht.

I couldn't disagree more.......Completely the opposite in my opinion. The Bahts going nowhere but down and its doing it of its own accord with no real input from the Dollar.

I expect it to break through 36 this working work, hold and then continue its downward trend.

I totally agree. I look for positives about the baht and I can find none. About the only thing to discuss is how quickly will it lose value.

I couldn't disagree more.......Completely the opposite in my opinion. The Bahts going nowhere but down and its doing it of its own accord with no real input from the Dollar.

I expect it to break through 36 this working work, hold and then continue its downward trend.

I totally agree. I look for positives about the baht and I can find none. About the only thing to discuss is how quickly will it lose value.

I can think of a positive. I got my pension check today from the USA deposited in my Thai bank account. Waahoo clap2.gif

Well, that prediction of end August of breaking through 36 and continuing a downward trend didn't materialize, personally I'm with THB holding its own.

Well, that prediction of end August of breaking through 36 and continuing a downward trend didn't materialize, personally I'm with THB holding its own.

China is on a downward slide and since Chinese tourism and business is at an all time high in Thailand I think we will see further down moves by the baht to 41 and stabilizing at 39 or 40.

Remember these posts and check back in a couple of months.wai2.gif

It's very difficult to predict FX (foreign exchange) rates, as this hinges on so many factors..not just economic but also political and more. Hence trading currencies has to be viewed as a speculative activity over the longer run. Concerned investors can hedge somewhat if they want to protect themselves some from further Baht weakness, by investing in SET companies which export and so benefit from a weaker Baht vs. say US$, still the dominant currency around the World.

Most export companies in Thailand are smaller and don't feature in say the "SET50", so not sure if brokers here can help in identifying these...surely electronic exporters are one sector which should benefit if the Baht drops more.

China is on a downward slide and since Chinese tourism and business is at an all time high in Thailand I think we will see further down moves by the baht to 41 and stabilizing at 39 or 40.

Remember these posts and check back in a couple of months.wai2.gif

Oh yes indeed, you forecast 41 in two months, let's talk again around Bonfire Night. wink.png

China is on a downward slide

Very true, in the last week the USD/CNY has slid down from 6.41 to 6.36

the problem in Thaivisa is that one has to emphasize and/or eplain that "USD/CNY sliding down from 6.41 to 6.36" means the Chinese currency gained vs. USD wink.png

the problem in Thaivisa is that one has to emphasize and/or eplain that "USD/CNY sliding down from 6.41 to 6.36" means the Chinese currency gained vs. USD wink.png

The problem on Thaivisa is that one has to emphasize and/or explain that the "USD/CNY sliding down from 6.41 to 6.36" (an increase of 0.78%) over a 1 week period means nothing as regards the Chinese economy being (or not being) on a downward slide.

The problem on Thaivisa is that one has to emphasize and/or explain that the "USD/CNY sliding down from 6.41 to 6.36" (an increase of 0.78%) over a 1 week period means nothing as regards the Chinese economy being (or not being) on a downward slide.

It means factual information, unlike some of the other comments.

A hot air balloonist was blown off course and landed in a field, where he met a man walking. The balloonist asks “Where am I?” and the man replies, “You’ve landed in a large field.” The balloonist then tells the man "Ah, you must be an accountant (or an economist, et al.). "Yes, I am" replied the man, "How did you know?". The balloonist replied "Because your answer was completely accurate and utterly useless."

So, let me guess, you're an accountant (or an economist, et al.). There was not a single bombing in Bangkok in the last 7 days -- what would you like to infer from that about the political stability of Thailand and the direction in which it is headed?

Dollar strengthened a bit yesterday 35.7 available now for TT transfers at banks give or take, so its slowly getting towards the 36 mark for transfers.

35.87 available at super rich CM

Indeed Interbank at 35.98 at close for Weekend....

A hot air balloonist was blown off course and landed in a field, where he met a man walking. The balloonist asks “Where am I?” and the man replies, “You’ve landed in a large field.” The balloonist then tells the man "Ah, you must be an accountant (or an economist, et al.). "Yes, I am" replied the man, "How did you know?". The balloonist replied "Because your answer was completely accurate and utterly useless."

So, let me guess, you're an accountant (or an economist, et al.). There was not a single bombing in Bangkok in the last 7 days -- what would you like to infer from that about the political stability of Thailand and the direction in which it is headed?

When all else fails , move the goal posts.

The baht went down to 36.09/1 dollar around 5PM EST (Sunday, 9/6) in the US (Bloomberg, UK Forex) for a bit and went back up to 35.991 atm.

I KNOW Naam, that sounds bass ackwards, LOL.

i don't know what "bass ackwards" means but i like the currency which i spend most to be as weak as possible vs. the currency of my income which is the [presently] mighty US-Dollar.

It seems to me that Baht shall hit 36.23 today to dollars and by end of the year it will be very strong 31.3 to dollars. Thailand is solving their problem and US is just increasing millions of Americans are homeless and have to get free food.

Convert all you American money to Thai Baht and be rich

It seems to me that Baht shall hit 36.23 today to dollars and by end of the year it will be very strong 31.3 to dollars. Thailand is solving their problem and US is just increasing millions of Americans are homeless and have to get free food.

OK... based on the clarity and justification given by your crystal ball probably made from a Chang beer bottle I will follow your recommendation. Can't wait to tell the wife we are going to get rich and Thailand is solving its problems.

Guess the moderators need to rename this thread Baht Unlikely to Slide Below 37/$.

Looked at Bloomberg a few minutes ago and it's hit 36.14 already today.

TT rate today 36.10... for starters? €UR broke through, GBP scratching at concrete wall 55.

Either you have a significant typo (31.3 should be 37.3?) in your post or it is absolute nonsense (actually, your post is nonsense in any event)! No one has a crystal ball, but the probability of the US$ being less than 32 to the Baht by the end of the year is zero! And if you really think otherwise, I will be happy to enter into a binding, fully funded and escrowed agreement to exchange all of the Dollars (at least $100,000) you want into Thai Baht on 1/1/16 at B31.5 for each Dollar (giving you a "profit" on each Dollar -- you'll be "rich"). Let me know if you want to take me up on my offer, and I'll draft the sale and exchange agreement and line up the escrow agent (and plan my winter holiday courtesy of you).