Thai govt uses special power to stop youth drinking, racing

Jonathan Fairfield

Thai junta uses special power to stop youth drinking, racing

BANGKOK (AP) — Thailand's interim premier used special powers under the junta-installed constitution to tackle illegal street racing and alcohol sales near schools and universities.

The measures were taken to protect youths from risky behaviors and vices that could lead to societal problems in the future, Deputy government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Friday. The five-page order was published in the Royal Gazette and became effective on Thursday.

Under the order, public gatherings intended to conduct street racing are banned and parents must take responsibility if their children are involved in such activities. New or harsher penalties than under past laws are possible for those involved.

Police and state officials can temporarily confiscate cars or motorcycles suspected of being raced and can arrest suspected racers and spectators.

The measures were intended to "tackle the issue comprehensively, not only to go after the youth racers," Sansern said.

The order follows a major crackdown in May on the longstanding problem, in which youth blocked streets at night in order to race.

The constitution put in place after the coup last year empowered Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha to issue any orders he considered necessary to maintain security and public order. He has exercised the vast powers under Article 44 on several occasions, sometimes to bypass the law and to remove civil servants to inactive posts.

Sansern said a recent ban on alcohol sales within 300 meters (feet) of educational institutes should be strictly followed.

"Please think about the future of the youths, which will become the future of the country. Do not look at the commercial benefits only," Sansern said. "If you stop selling alcohol and sell food only, you can continue your business as normal."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-25

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody in the present government have a clue about what might be an effective social policy in this regard? Of course they couldn't possibly look at success or failures of such programs in other countries. Only about a hundred countries to seek out for review. One man here knows more than a hundred thousand among a hundred countries. The arrogance.... Oh the arrogance.

Edited by jerojero

"Please think about the future of the youths, which will become the future of the country. Do not look at the commercial benefits only," Sansern said. "If you stop selling alcohol and sell food only, you can continue your business as normal."

He lost the populace with the first two words there. "Please think".

If I tink too mutt, oooey! Make my head hurt!

Another load of verbal b*llshit that will never be enforced. Thai parents already have a legal responsibility for their children up to the age of 20. Problem is most ignore it and many parents have a mental age below that of a 20 year old child anyway, or at least act as if they do.

I thought this was a load of BS but this is being invoked under Article 44 which means it is serious stuff and the government ain't messing about. Much more serious than the usual BS 'crackdowns' we've heard about in the past.

And - there are already signs going up in 7/11 stores located close to schools and universities which say they will no longer be selling alcohol.

Why is there a need to invoke special powers? Surely there already exist laws to prohibit under-age drinking and street racing.

It sort of seems like using power just because it's there, and no other reason.

Sounds good though and makes it seem that the ' special powers ' will guarantee success, as if.

Another load of verbal b*llshit that will never be enforced. Thai parents already have a legal responsibility for their children up to the age of 20. Problem is most ignore it and many parents have a mental age below that of a 20 year old child anyway, or at least act as if they do.

I thought this was a load of BS but this is being invoked under Article 44 which means it is serious stuff and the government ain't messing about. Much more serious than the usual BS 'crackdowns' we've heard about in the past.

And - there are already signs going up in 7/11 stores located close to schools and universities which say they will no longer be selling alcohol.

I noticed a long time ago that gas/petrol stations had quit selling beer, I guess under the pretense that motorists shouldn't be able to buy beer.

Fat lot of good that did at keeping drunks off the streets.

=============

I recall my cousin got busted in Florida buying booze when he was 19 (legal age is 21 in FLA).

He got tossed in jail overnight & had to go to court and pay a large fine (large to a 19 year old). He had to borrow money from his Dad, which was worse than being jail. His Dad made him feel lower than whaleshit.

I think the lady that sold him the beer without checking his ID got 6 months in jail.

Another how to law I feel (the alcohol selling law). Will it really be enforced? I have my doubts, if the law on the sale of alcohol to under age people was enforced then there would be no need for this law (and the law that prevents the sale of alcohol between 2pm and 5pm?). So will it be enforced? How do you enforce it? Close all bars within a 300m radius of an education establishment? Radius from where, the perimeter?

What will the bar staff do for a living from today on? What will the empty properties be used for? How will the rents be paid?

I feel it is rather unworkable. In more corrupt nations I would imagine this could lead to inducement to be left alone being the solution which clearly would not be the case here so just what will the result be?

Talk about using a mallet to kill a mosquito. Basically the entire adult population within a 300 meter radius must be inconvenienced in the vain hope the students don't drink.

Has anyone asked the students if they think this will alter their drinking habits? Or will they just walk farther and buy in bulk. The idea that this will stop or reduce drinking is just stupid.

Thailand is fast becoming a nanny state with top down declarations based on the whims of whatever pressure group is flavour of the week, to which the junta kowtows in a vain effort to show how popular and in touch with the people it is.

Edited by jonclark

Thais are a very simple people. The only reasoning that matters to them has to be based in authority. They need bells and whistles...........Parades would go over well here.

Why is there a need to invoke special powers? Surely there already exist laws to prohibit under-age drinking and street racing.

Perhaps special powers are required as the Police do not use their ordinary power to enforce the law.

First there is a presumption that most of the alcohol sales to youth occurs within a radius of 300metres of their college/ educational location.... but if we accept that for the moment ...... do powers that be actually think that an extra 4 minutes walk ( 300 metres at average speed 5km/h) will put a major obstacle for those youth desirous of some alcohol.... never mind most of them have scooters anyway .....

If it is a mounting social problem ( and I don't doubt it) then surely a law passed making it illegal to sell to minors and suitable ID needed to buy with huge penalty to those who do sell to them, might have more efficacy as a suitable deterrent .

As far as i can see this law will be celebrated by only one group who will no doubt see this as a golden opportunity to get more " tea money" and perhaps in cynical reflection this was in the embryonic thought behind all of this.......

SO let me get this straight ... I am a young Thai person with a car I use for racing. I have enough cash to buy the car and customize it with a paint job, an enhanced engine and probably a huge Hifi system.... but I am not going to be able to work out how to get a beer from a 7/11 or a mom and pops which is 301m away from where I am supposed to go to study. Mmmm doesn't give us much hope for the future.

Talk about using a mallet to kill a mosquito. Basically the entire adult population within a 300 meter radius must be inconvenienced in the vain hope the students don't drink.

Has anyone asked the students if they think this will alter their drinking habits? Or will they just walk farther and buy in bulk. The idea that this will stop or reduce drinking is just stupid.

Thailand is fast becoming a nanny state with top down declarations based on the whims of whatever pressure group is flavour of the week, to which the junta kowtows in a vain effort to show how popular and in touch with the people it is.

Today's BP reports that the swiftness of this action on those bars/restaurants within the zones have taken everyone by surprise. A student lamented the fact he would have to spend extra money to travel farther to buy booze, he didn't say he would. I do know that when I drank the ridiculous times set for selling alcohol were a major irritation. I'd stopped drinking local products so the small shops still being allowed to operate all day were out of the question. It did put me off an earlier than usual 'over the yard arm' one though biggrin.png So, yes, I believe it will have an affect on students drinking.

This article, as occurred in another similar article, doesn't give the extent of the ban & other aspects of the ban. It apparently does not affect restaurants & hotels, but will affect every other outlet that sells alcohol. This will not simply be bars, BUT, all sales outlets (supermarkets,convenience stores, corner stores, etc). What the articles don't clarify,is, if it's a 24/07 ban or specific times? How will it be enforced? Who will penalties apply to? How does it differ from current laws that are being abused & ignored by all parties involved?

Either, this is a very poorly prepared & released policy or poor reporting, though, as this article is via AP, suspect it is the former.

There ARE of course kids that won't listen to their parents at all. Would be good to see some possibilities in place to prevent little thugs to continue their down-ward spiral if parents ask for help.

As to the alcohol ban: keep dreaming. All that would help are well set up campaigns to make people more aware, with harsh videos to support it.

Likely the existing laws require EVIDENCE, WARRANTS, and DUE PROCESS OF LAW. Things that can stall and possibly defeat quick law enforcement.

Article 44 simply shoves aside all Thai rights and liberties to deliver Junta-style Justice. The Junta's government is on a self-imposed timetable for national reforms and cannot afford the time involved to respect customary judicial processes.

How about offering alternative entertainment. Youth centers, sports and rec centers, community centers, skate bowls etc. Nothing. Community and social awareness does not go beyond the Wat. It is bureaucratic negligence that this occurs. The powers that be, DO NOT CARE. They have no social conscience, and simply have no experience or concern in the betterment of the community. /RANT