Silom looking a dump

kingalfred

I have noticed that also. I think some of those businesses might have went under due to all of the protesting last year in that area, just my opinion. I am sure the rents in that area are sky high.

Bangkok is not an attractive City, it's dirty to say the least.....

ever been to MUMBAI ??bah.gif

That's a dump too.... The list is endless....

Its annoying to see loads of new condo builds but no improvement in widening pavements and improving surrounding infrastructure.

The city missed a trick by not making legislation forcing condo builders to improve the place.

Its a great city too however in parts....and a lot cheaper than New York or London...or Singapore.

Was in the soi 15-21 area a few days ago and I thought how much nicer Silom seemed than Sukhumvit west of Soi 19. That area of Sukhumvit really looks more rundown grey and filthy than ever viewing it from a car going down the street. Doesn't seem as bad when you are walking. Going into the sois of course it is usually better.

Thailand was never colonized ( which had its negative points- don't get me wrong); however, it has adopted various Western ideas which were never perfected or in their ways of doing things so there is not a 100% understanding how to implement things such as city planning, safety, or seriously enforcing laws that are already written in the books. An example I can give is how the city of Pattaya knocked down street curbing to make a slope so people with wheelchairs could easily have access to the so called sidewalks. Problem: Many of the slopes are too narrow for the width of a wheel chair & the narrow sidewalks have obstacles of utility poles, street signs, pot-holes& vendors.

Edited by toenail

Bangkok is not an attractive City, it's dirty to say the least.....

ever been to MUMBAI ??bah.gif

That's a dump too.... The list is endless....

Its annoying to see loads of new condo builds but no improvement in widening pavements and improving surrounding infrastructure.

The city missed a trick by not making legislation forcing condo builders to improve the place.

Its a great city too however in parts....and a lot cheaper than New York or London...or Singapore.

Wow the 80th richest country's capital is cheaper than 3 in the top 30. How about comparing it to the capital of Venezuela, Belarus or Mexico?

Thailand was never colonized ( which had its negative points- don't get me wrong); however, it has adopted various Western ideas which were never perfected or in their ways of doing things so there is not a 100% understanding how to implement things such as city planning, safety, or seriously enforcing laws that are already written in the books. An example I can give is how the city of Pattaya knocked down street curbing to make a slope so people with wheelchairs could easily have access to the so called sidewalks. Problem: Many of the slopes are too narrow for the width of a wheel chair & the narrow sidewalks have obstacles of utility poles, street signs, pot-holes& vendors.

Which just shows how stupid they are. Or that the slopes were not put there for wheelchairs, but for motorcycles. Same as in Bangkok.

Silom/Patpong/Surawong.........smelly, grubby but oh, so irresistible.

Full of very happy memories and we regularly re-visit our old haunts and what remain of all our old pals in that area.....................

Silom/Patpong/Surawong.........smelly, grubby but oh, so irresistible.

Full of very happy memories and we regularly re-visit our old haunts and what remain of all our old pals in that area.....................

You're my kind of guy, Always. I read the other responses here and just shake my head . . . clueless.

The take mentality always leaves blackspots , lets hope they wake up and start cleaning the country before they loose their tourism industry . Prayath wont be affected but many individual and small businesses will loose out and Thailand will soon rejoin the Third world.

Great points and some that people consistently overlook. HK and Singapore were colonized by the British and they were able to pick up efficient ways to run a society. Thailand has had to learn on its own and that isn't a good fit with its society which has traditionally been feudal and insular.