Education ministry setting up center to push for Thailand as education hub

Lite Beer

Education ministry setting up center to push for Thailand as education hub

BANGKOK, 26 July 2015 (NNT) - The Ministry of Education is establishing a center to develop Thailand as the education hub of ASEAN. The center will coordinate ASEAN-related affairs and implement the association’s policies at the local level.

Deputy Government Spokesman Maj.Gen. Sansern Kaeokamnerd said the goal of the ministry’s development of Thailand as the ASEAN education hub was to internationalize education in the junior-high and high school levels. These schools must be prepared to provide education for both Thai and foreign students in ASEAN. The center would also act as a source of information and research on ASEAN and train people for competition in the regional level, Maj.Gen. Sansern added.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha agreed with the establishment of the center which was in line with the government’s national reform efforts and preparations for the AEC, said the deputy government spokesman.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-26 footer_n.gif

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's impossible not to do the usual Thai bashing with such ridiculous announcements...

At least they are very consistent. It must be on each official road map:

- Make fake polls

- Cover the truth at any cost

- Create a hub every few weeks

- Finger point at Burmese or Khmer for all problems

- Farangs cannot understand

- Thailand does not need any assistance

This is an ambitious plan considering that Thailand's education system has a lot to be desired.

If they were to make it the hub of education they certainly have along way to go.

They may have to actually delay elections again to see this dream realized.

Throwing money at education does not work, we already know that.

Thailand has one of the most expensive education systems in the world, with the worst results.

First, they need to start teaching the "Critical Thinking Method" like most of the modern world.

Second they need to train and hire teachers who's priority is the education of the students and not their paychecks and how little they can get away with doing in order to collect those paychecks.

Corruption is a cancer in the Thai school system and it is the students who suffer.

This is an ambitious plan considering that Thailand's education system has a lot to be desired.

If they were to make it the hub of education they certainly have along way to go.

They may have to actually delay elections again to see this dream realized.

Don't worry. I'm pretty sure your dreams will come through.

Or have I just fed a troll??

Thailand will become the education hub of the AEC. Is there something wrong with his logic? Wealthy parents will pay through the nose to get their kids PISA scores on a par with Thai students - i.e. the lowest in SE Asia? Are Singaporean schools now quaking in their boots at the thought of this new formidable competitor? Are Gen Prayut and Maj Gen Sansern shining examples of the products of Thai education that can be used on marketing trips to promote this new concept?

Edited by Dogmatix

ASEAN education hub?

I would vote for Singapore, by a wide margin.

As for Thai education....

My wife is Thai. I love her dearly. She is intelligent, and she learns new things pretty rapidly.

I am still trying to figure out what they did with the kids for 12 years in her schools in Khon Kaen. Her reading and writing is rudimentary, and her math skills are sufficient to figure out profit margins and percent discounts. She learned English on the job, working overseas.

That's about it.

Forget about geography or world history (or even regional history). Those are completely missing.

I don't think it is much better today. I've looked at the work her nieces (ages 8 and 12) bring home. It's about 2 grades behind what I would expect in the US or Europe.