How Did Thai Muslim Society React To Coup?

LaoPo

Gen. Sondhi Boonyaratkalin, being a Muslim, is in control of the country where the vast majority is Buddhist.

How did/does the Thai Muslim Society react to this coup?

Do they see a 'positive' effect on their struggle, Gen Sondhi Boonyaratkalin being in control?

'Amazing Thailand....it is indeed!'

LaoPo

The Thai General is a muslim?? Are you sure?? :o

Yes!

But he is (very) well respected. Religion has nothing to do with this coup.

IF it would have been an issue (being a Muslim).......he would never ever could have reached such a high rank.

And: that's a positive sign in Thai society, even in the Army.

I was merely asking WHAT and HOW the Muslim society in Thailand think/react on this coup with a Muslim Thai General in charge.

LaoPo

The news of Sonthi's taking the forefront in this coup seemed positive with my neighbors ....

and Brit .... shame on you!

Let me elaborate - I don't think the extreme radical muslims in the South will care if he is muslim or not. He's wearing a Thai army uniform. :o Sorry I should have explained better what I meant. :D

Edited by britmaveric

To answer your question, I've talked to a few Thai muslims who said they were very glad that Gen Sonthi took over and very proud that he was a Muslim. All said they were certain that this would calm violent activity in the South considerably, ie, back to pre-Thaksin levels.

The Thai General is a muslim?? Are you sure?? :o

Yes!

But he is (very) well respected. Religion has nothing to do with this coup.

IF it would have been an issue (being a Muslim).......he would never ever could have reached such a high rank.

Being a decorated Vietnam Vet must've helped :D

The trick to this (and most insurgencies), is to get the thing to die a natural death. Insurgencies are like Atomic Bombs, they are hard to set off, but once they start, their impossible to stop. The coup and a Muslim leader may be just what is needed to slow this down and send the insurgents back to their "normal" life. If it can stay that long enough, they will lose their will to struggle on and if life is normal enough, they want want to regroup. That is, of course, if normal means life is reasonably OK with the prospect of getting better.

There are no sure answers for dealing with an insurgency. Virtually nothing will stop it, but it's easy to make mistakes and aggrevate the situation.

likely the extremists will still do their thing.

sonthi is in a better position to negotiate with them, and drive more of a wedge between the radical extremists and the general muslim population.

the careful oberver will note that without effective recruiting, suicide bombers are a limited resource.

sonthi may not be able to 'fix things' but unlike thaksin he won't make it worse...

Thaksin seemed to have the right idea - CRUSH the mf'ers

The more I read your rubbish, Crawford, the more I realise that you really don't have an opinion you care to stick with.

The US is so bad that you want a different passport

Crime in the US is only there if you go looking for it

Crime in the US is bad

And now this . . .

The British were pretty successful in crushing a Chinese Communist insurgency in Malaya in the 1950's.

Yes, and we all know who rules Malaysia now.

Suharto was successful in crushing a similar insurgency in Indonesia in the 1960's.

There was a Chinese insurgency in Indonesia? I'd love to hear this one, please.

On the other hand that would involve you giving us more of your rubbish to read . . .

///again, references deleted///- by PeaceBlondie

Ever thought that he might just be trying to wind us all up?

Good point Sling Sling....British crushing the insurgency in Malaya? Wasn't very succesful was it? No I don't recall a Chinese Insurgency in the 60's...but they did undertake some forms of ethnic cleansing under Suharto. Maybe that is what he means.

I don't think it is appeasement to actually have a dialogue.....conflicts such as these are never solved through the barrel of the gun, at some point people have to sit down and talk. I hope that this will happen in the south and things will improve. I am also a realist that it will not happen overnight. Northern Ireland springs to mind,even though there remain divisions it appears to have got better.

Suharto was successful in crushing a similar insurgency in Indonesia in the 1960's.

There was a Chinese insurgency in Indonesia? I'd love to hear this one, please.

On the other hand that would involve you giving us more of your rubbish to read . . .

I think he's referring to events in 65-66 when the army under Suharto tried to wipe out all opposition to army rule. It was disguised as a purge against the communist party but most of the killing was between muslims and relatively few chinese were involved.

The Chinese did suffer for example on Bali but apparently that had more to do with tribal rivalry than politics.

Yes, but this is Thailand, and not Suharto's Indonesia.

There are many differences.

In my personal opinion, I think we should take a moment to allow Gen Shondi some room to get everythig going again. From all accounts he is a highly respected man, and therefore I would feel that they are acting in the interests of many, rather than just a few.

Yes, but this is Thailand, and not Suharto's Indonesia.

There are many differences.

In my personal opinion, I think we should take a moment to allow Gen Shondi some room to get everythig going again. From all accounts he is a highly respected man, and therefore I would feel that they are acting in the interests of many, rather than just a few.

Yeah there's always many pockets to fill :o

I agree with you that he should be given a chance and I think Thailand is lucky that you know who is still on top. I don't think the younger one could've pulled this off without bloodshed.

Anyway no point in speculating and we'll see in future how it all turns out.

"Sonthi said there would be no changes in strategies to restore peace to the restive deep South, adding the Fourth Army Region Commander would remain in charge."

This is a quote taken from another thread which attributes it to "The Nation".

"Sonthi said there would be no changes in strategies to restore peace to the restive deep South, adding the Fourth Army Region Commander would remain in charge."

This is a quote taken from another thread which attributes it to "The Nation".

There is a lot of optimism now in the south I for one think that the biggest obstacle to peace has been removed. Hopefully there can be a fresh start, and we can all live peacefully