Which Visa?

Hello All,

Firstly, forgive my question if the answer is obvious to you,I searched but could could see which year long visa would be easiest (i am not presuming any visa is).

- British Male 48 yrs.

- Will be leaving Haiti after 4 years.Will arrive on a tourist visa.

- Married with Certificate to Thai national 17 yrs.

- Did not send 400K to hold in my bank account yet.

- Old passport was stolen, my current passport from 2012 only has tourist visas into Thailand.

- I do not intend to work illegally in Thailand. Meaning if i find work in Thailand i would apply for a work permit if this makes any difference.

- I think i only have UK bank statments sent to our home in BKK.

- We have the home blue book, its fully paid for.

- My wife has land documents also.

Any sensible info would be much appreciated and links to more information.

Many thanks,

James.

I believe you intend arriving in Thailand without a visa which means you will be given a 30 day visa exempt entry which can be extended at an immigration office for 1900b Bht.

Once in Thailand your best option would be be to obtain a one year multiple entry visa based on marriage from Savannakhet, Laos, for which no financial proof is needed.

Once you have resolved the financial situation an application for a one year extension of stay can be made toward the end of any 90 day entry which the visa will permit.

• Like 1

James, the choice of visa depends a lot on how long you plan to stay in Thailand, but from your post I understand that you have already decided on the Tourist visa. Therefore, why the question "Which visa?"

James, the choice of visa depends a lot on how long you plan to stay in Thailand, but from your post I understand that you have already decided on the Tourist visa. Therefore, why the question "Which visa?"

Thai tourist visas cannot be obtained in Haiti !

1/ If tourist visa is not available, then a visa exempt entry for 30 days permission to stay stamp would be ok, ( as long as you will be allowed aeroplane boarding without a ticket out the country within 30 days,) If a tourist visa is available then use that to get a 60 day permission to stay stamp

2/ On arrival stick 400,000 baht in your sole named bank account.

3/ towards the end of your 30/60 day permission to stay stamp, get a 60 day 'visit Thai wife' extension at local immigration,

4/ then once the money is seasoned, again towards the end of your new permission to stay stamp, do a yearly married mans extension.

1/ If tourist visa is not available, then a visa exempt entry for 30 days permission to stay stamp would be ok, ( as long as you will be allowed aeroplane boarding without a ticket out the country within 30 days,) If a tourist visa is available then use that to get a 60 day permission to stay stamp

2/ On arrival stick 400,000 baht in your sole named bank account.

3/ towards the end of your 30/60 day permission to stay stamp, get a 60 day 'visit Thai wife' extension at local immigration,

4/ then once the money is seasoned, again towards the end of your new permission to stay stamp, do a yearly married mans extension.

You left out one very important thing. Before applying for the one year extension (4) a non immigrant visa entry will be needed.

It is possible to convert to a 90 day immigrant visa entry at Bangkok immigration based upon qualifying for an extension based upon marriage. It requires two trips to immigration 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamp.

If not living in or near Bangkok the best option is to go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Firstly, I apologize for this post, I just want to be sure I do not miss any documentation.

I will be going next week to Vientiane in order to get a double entry visa (I believe I can get this as I am married to a Thai) Is this double entry the best option as I believe I get 7 months.

My money here is and I have 5 weeks more until its has matured. (400K). I may be off again to work overseas before this money matures.

I will take the following with me in for this visa trip to Laos:

1. Passport and copies. This passport is has only Thai tourist visa stamps and 1 Thai extension 30 day stamp from BKK immigration.

2. Photographs.

3. Bank passbook updated.

4. My wife will join me with original and copy of wedding certificate.

5. Wife's ID.

6. House book original and copy.

Could one of the more knowledgeable members confirm the above documentation is adequate and the double entry visa is the best route for me.

Many, many thanks,

James.d

You don't need a marriage certificate or anything from you wife to apply for a tourist visa.

I think you confusing a tourist visa with a non-o visa.

A single entry non-o visa is what you should get. You could then apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days (45 at some offices) of the 90 day entry the visa will allow.

If you had to make a trip during the 90 day entry you could get a re-entry permit that would keep it valid when you re-enter the country. And then apply for the extension.

You don't need a marriage certificate or anything from you wife to apply for a tourist visa.

I think you confusing a tourist visa with a non-o visa.

A single entry non-o visa is what you should get. You could then apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days (45 at some offices) of the 90 day entry the visa will allow.

If you had to make a trip during the 90 day entry you could get a re-entry permit that would keep it valid when you re-enter the country. And then apply for the extension.

Thank you Mr. Ubonjoe.

So I will apply for the single entry non-O visa in Laos next week and this is valid for 90 days?., is this less expensive than the double one?. Also I guess I could not apply for a new Thai driving license with this..correct?

Again, thank you for your time to respond to my earlier query.

Regards,

James.d

The fee for a single entry non-o visa is 2000 baht.

There is no double non-o visa. That would be a tourist visa that costs 1000 baht per entry. It only allows a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

You cannot apply for a one year extension with a tourist visa. You have to have a non immigrant visa entry (non-o) to apply for it.

If you want a visa that would give you more than one entry you could go to Savannakhet and get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage that would give unlimited 90 day entries for a year. The fee for it is 5000 baht.

Thank you for your feedback Ubonjoe. I will get the single entry non-o visa and report back upon return incase I can offer assistance to others. Is the application for 1 year visa based on marriage to be applied for during last 30 days applicable in BKK?

Thanks and Regards,

James.d

It is a one year extension of stay based upon marriage that you would apply for during the last 30 day of the 90 entry.

If living in Bangkok you would do it at the Chaeng Wattana immigration office. If not living in Bangkok you do it at the assigned office for where you are living.