Thailand moped crash horror leaves British student paralysed from waist down

webfact

After seeing the Thai emergency services in action at a RTA, I'm really surprised he managed to survive those injuries.

So you're giving a very reluctant pat on the back to the emergency services in this instance as well as bashing them in general, yes?

Nah it will have been the emergency services amulets that saved him, you cant have it both ways, no need for training when amulets will suffice.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the whole story as linked. "The travel insurance company only covers accidents on mopeds of 55cc or less,"

He was not on a moped, I'm sure.

Your last sentence....BOTH.

It may have been over 55cc, but the definition of Moped I grew up with is any scooter you don't have to shift. I had a friend with a 250 cc Moped in Texas.

Since no scooters less than 100cc can be registered for the street in Thailand, it seems disingenuous that an insurance company can claim (and charge for) coverage for scooters, but limit it to 55cc.

Really, this story is about his insurance being inadequate.

Really, it's not...

"...the medical care was covered after lengthy negotiations with the insurance provider..."

This is about a tourist who apparently contravened the conditions of his travel insurance by being on a motorcycle of more than 55ccs but was lucky enough to be with an insurance company that paid all his bills anyway. The bills for the family to travel and their incidental expenses were not covered and there was no reason for them to be covered.

Really, it is. If you read the whole article linked, it's about raising donations to pay for the "phone calls" and for family visiting him after the accident.

If a family can't afford to visit him...send ONE representative if you have to.

Are you saying that you are aware of travel insurance policies that would cover the cost of phone calls and visits from multiple family members in the event that the traveller in question was injured in an accident? If you are, please provide a link to the generous insurer who sells these policies. If not, I suggest you go spread your particular brand of happiness elsewhere.

Do not this people get travel insurance? For 1 month holiday its something like $60, certainly worth it when you going over seas into unknown

He had insurance. It excluded coverage for scooters over 55cc. Which effectively nullifies scooter coverage in Thailand...

The only problem is that all motorbikes have to have insurance to be taxed. This insurance covers the costs of hospital treatment in an accident. It is the law. If you are unsure about the motorbike insurance for 300 baht to can buy it yourself. If the police have written a report on the accident and the motorbike has the legal insurance,(If not he should claim from the hirer via the police...not all but should be able to get some)) and he has all the receipts from hospital he claim all the monies back. My wife and me got knocked off the Scooby, we received comp and repairs from the driver and the motorbike insurance covered all hospital treatment visits. nearly 10 grand in total.

I have never seen a moped in Thailand. In fact, I have not seen one in the states for over 35 years. Mopeds were called mopeds because you had to rotate the pedals, just like on a bicycle, just to get the motor started. Sorry to throw this into a sad story, but the term "moped" needs clarification. I hear it too often.

Should read: David Eastham, 20, was on a holiday of a lifetime with five friends across Thailand only to return home, as many before him, with lifetime injuries or in a body bag.

In order not to give the impression that you are a mindless Thai basher, which I am sure was not your intention, maybe your post should have suggested that that sentence should have read,

"David Eastham, 20, was on a holiday of a lifetime with five friends across Thailand only to return home, as many before him regardless of where they had their holiday, with lifetime injuries or in a body bag".

would that be because we all know Thai roads are some of if not the safest roads in the world, or do you want to go down the "it happens everywhere" route, Im surprised you can even see out of those rosey glasses, for goodness sake do us all a favour and dont drive at night.

The only problem is that all motorbikes have to have insurance to be taxed. This insurance covers the costs of hospital treatment in an accident. It is the law. If you are unsure about the motorbike insurance for 300 baht to can buy it yourself. If the police have written a report on the accident and the motorbike has the legal insurance,(If not he should claim from the hirer via the police...not all but should be able to get some)) and he has all the receipts from hospital he claim all the monies back. My wife and me got knocked off the Scooby, we received comp and repairs from the driver and the motorbike insurance covered all hospital treatment visits. nearly 10 grand in total.

Grossly incorrect. Compulsory insurance covers up to 15 000 baht maximum, NOT the costs of hospital treatment.

Stop posting inaccurate information

That's tragic, but sadly all too common in Thailand.

I know it looks like fun, and a convenient way to get around, but people who have barely/never ridden a bike before could not choose a worse place than Thailand to learn.

Throw in some beers, shorts and flip flops, plastic bucket helmets (maybe) and sandy corners...and bad things can happen.

Good luck kid.

agree with your post expect it looks like fun and a convenient way to get around, but people should not risk undertaking this activity as it leaves you at the mercy of the thai driver and driving system. It is common knowledge that thailand has bad driving.

what is not so well known is that as opposed to driving in a predicatable and safe manner Thai's have no sense of safety and little in the way of common sense

the average thai driver sees a pedestrian as the lowest form of life - a cockroach or something, while they will not go out of their way to run you over, if you get in their way they will run you down since you have breached the status of pedestrian i.e. the bottom.

as a motorbike or moped driver you are one rung up on that ladder, if you see a pedestrian you are entitled to run them down as they have no status, as a moped or motorbike driver you have status. with that entails face and status saving, you should avoid letting other traffic pass you , should another similar status 2 wheeled vehicle attempt to overtake you should do everything possible to prevent that from occuring, you are also entitled to check your status as a 2 wheel and pretend you are a bigger vehicle by pulling in front of bigger vehicles causing the drivers to use emergency stopping devices, this sometimes works, sometimes it does not.

as a car driver you are the next rung up the ladder you are entitled to run down pedestrians and motorbikes etc.

so sad to read this stuff, enough tv for me, its all the same as the last time i bothered with it too

How many lives are taken or destroyed with these stupid unsave motorbikes and cycles. Damn things should be outlawed.

I am sure that there are things I am afraid of that you are not. But just because you don't feel safe on a motorbike in Thailand, does not make it so for everyone. I think all snakes should be killed. I feel much safer riding my motorbike in Thailand, than walking down Soi Buckhao in Pattaya. It is all where your comfort level lies.

Stop posting inaccurate information!

Firstly I stated you can purchase additional insurance that does cover you, secondly, if you are correct 15,000 is at least a something towards the costs, and if treated in a government hospital it could be quite a chunk of the treatment costs.

Should read: David Eastham, 20, was on a holiday of a lifetime with five friends across Thailand only to return home, as many before him, with lifetime injuries or in a body bag.

In order not to give the impression that you are a mindless Thai basher, which I am sure was not your intention, maybe your post should have suggested that that sentence should have read,

"David Eastham, 20, was on a holiday of a lifetime with five friends across Thailand only to return home, as many before him regardless of where they had their holiday, with lifetime injuries or in a body bag".

I'm not offended by your post but I don't think you understand what I posted.

Stop posting inaccurate information!

Firstly I stated you can purchase additional insurance that does cover you, secondly, if you are correct 15,000 is at least a something towards the costs, and if treated in a government hospital it could be quite a chunk of the treatment costs.

This is what you posted sparky

Stop posting nonsense, then back paddling, then mixing up some more drivel.

I am not sure how that happened, so horrific injury to the young man riding at the back of a motor bike taxi??

Riding both scooters and big bikes here, love it man, been doing it for over 15 years and no serious accidents.

Thousands and thousands of expats pop around on scooters everyday here and most get away with it and many Thais don't have any other options than a scooter.

Okay saw a real idiot expat today when I was sitting in my truck waiting for green light and he just crossed the road on his scooter, he was cm's from getting clipped by a car coming at speed, no helmet on, looked liked he liked his booze, he was real real lucky.

Lets hope the young man fully recover, he looked to be in pretty good shape before the accident happened.

Sorry I didn't use the word 'additional'. But, then most half intelligent adults would be able to understand the statement, and not feel the need to write back like a grumpy old man. My fault, I actually through that the members of TV had grown up!

I know it looks like fun, and a convenient way to get around, but people who have barely/never ridden a bike before could not choose a worse place than Thailand to learn.

Throw in some beers, shorts and flip flops, plastic bucket helmets (maybe) and sandy corners...and bad things can happen.

Good luck kid.

Exactly, but I would add not used to driving on the left side of the road, looking around trying to figure out where they are going with street signs they can't read and two 90 kilo falangs on one little motorbike weaving down the road dragging their feet going around a corner for balance and looking like their going to fall over at any time. I hear Vietnam might be an even worse place to learn.

A couple of years back I was on my way home from the far east side of the San Kamphaeng Hot Springs. Turned north on 121 from 1317, went up to about 80kph, and went past 2 farang on a Ninja 650. Ok, anyone who knows anything about bikes, knows that a Ninja, of any size, really isn't built for having a passenger on the back. Anyway, I guess they didn't like being passed by a CBR 250, so they gunned it and went past me, with the pillion rider grinning and flipping me the bird. Both were dressed in flop flops, shorts, "wife beater" shirts. Both in their early 20's. Oh, and of course, no helmets. Meanwhile, I'm riding with full kit.

Ok, they are now flying and try to take the curve to 108, too fast, totally misjudged it, and that was that. Down they go, flopping over and over, while the bike flips into the air, coming to rest right in front of a Hilux, which immediately ran over it. I stopped, got off the CBR, took off my helmet and walked over to where they were laying, which was actually fairly close together. One guy had a nasty gash on his head, the other looked like his face had been used for a punching bag - obviously broken nose - and both had tons of road rash that was going to hurt for a very long time. Along with one guy (the pillion rider) having his arm going in a direction that isn't normal, and in some serious pain. The Hilux driver is in a blind rage and his wife (and possibly teen aged son) had to keep him from kicking the boys. I asked if either of them had ever ridden a bike before. No, they each replied, in English. Ok, no sympathy from me. Went back to my bike, put on my helmet, went home.

I've seen a few more incidents similar to this, and all I can say is that stupidity is definitely not confined to any one country.
'

Edited by Just1Voice

Sorry for David...as said above, Thailand is not the place to ride a motorbike.

Really, this story is about his insurance being inadequate.

So what type of transport should he have used to get about when on holiday?

A couple of years back I was on my way home from the far east side of the San Kamphaeng Hot Springs. Turned north on 121 from 1317, went up to about 80kph, and went past 2 farang on a Ninja 650. Ok, anyone who knows anything about bikes, knows that a Ninja, of any size, really isn't built for having a passenger on the back. Anyway, I guess they didn't like being passed by a CBR 250, so they gunned it and went past me, with the pillion rider grinning and flipping me the bird. Both were dressed in flop flops, shorts, "wife beater" shirts. Both in their early 20's. Oh, and of course, no helmets. Meanwhile, I'm riding with full kit.

Ok, they are now flying and try to take the curve to 108, too fast, totally misjudged it, and that was that. Down they go, flopping over and over, while the bike flips into the air, coming to rest right in front of a Hilux, which immediately ran over it. I stopped, got off the CBR, took off my helmet and walked over to where they were laying, which was actually fairly close together. One guy had a nasty gash on his head, the other looked like his face had been used for a punching bag - obviously broken nose - and both had tons of road rash that was going to hurt for a very long time. Along with one guy (the pillion rider) having his arm going in a direction that isn't normal, and in some serious pain. The Hilux driver is in a blind rage and his wife (and possibly teen aged son) had to keep him from kicking the boys. I asked if either of them had ever ridden a bike before. No, they each replied, in English. Ok, no sympathy from me. Went back to my bike, put on my helmet, went home.

I've seen a few more incidents similar to this, and all I can say is that stupidity is definitely not confined to any one country.

'

So good of you that you lent them a helping hand, i.e. calling police, emergency vehicle, securing the road, assisting them with reassurance and comforting words. A real hero you are.

People forget that these Hondas/Suzis/Yamaha bikes are the most successful vehicles ever made in terms of useage. The problem is the riders, usually too fast, too drunk and not wearing adequate protective clothing. Its a shame but this lad isn't the first and won't be the last.

Do not this people get travel insurance? For 1 month holiday its something like $60, certainly worth it when you going over seas into unknown

He had insurance. It excluded coverage for scooters over 55cc. Which effectively nullifies scooter coverage in Thailand...

But surely the idiot who was out of control and CAUSED the accident should be paying???

Actually, anywhere there is Sun, roads, scooters for rent and young adults holidaying from colder climates.

Spanish holiday towns, etc.

Good luck to this young man, a horrific reality for him.

Yes, It can happen anywhere.....Had similar scooter accident in Ibiza in 1973, but nowhere near such serious injuries.

Life is a lottery when you are young.....It is a wonder any of us survive given the risks we take when young.

I wish the lad the best future possible in the circumstances.

Read the whole story as linked. "The travel insurance company only covers accidents on mopeds of 55cc or less,"

He was not on a moped, I'm sure.

Your last sentence....BOTH.

It may have been over 55cc, but the definition of Moped I grew up with is any scooter you don't have to shift. I had a friend with a 250 cc Moped in Texas.

Since no scooters less than 100cc can be registered for the street in Thailand, it seems disingenuous that an insurance company can claim (and charge for) coverage for scooters, but limit it to 55cc.

I may be wrong but I believe the term moped is a conjoining of the words motor and pedal, as the original mopeds were low powered machines that required the users to supplement the low engine power by cycling on some pedals to assist in standing starts and also going up steeper hills.

They were known as low displacement machines originally (49cc. I seem to remember in the UK) but later as the engines grew, the pedals were no longer needed and these became "nopeds" or more commonly now "scooters".

They're usually called scooters if they have a "step through" body form.

Good luck kid.

Motorbike accidents are too common and it is not about wearing an helmet. Fact is that Thailand is a third world country, we must not forget this.

....with so many irregularities.....

....unsuspecting visitors are often put into compromising or unsafe situations....

....'mai bpen rai'.......is NOT a universal law......it is often a copout........

...and this is one of the end results....