Homebuilders, remodelers, can you help me out?

luther

I recently ripped out the ceilings in our house, leaving the roof. I would like it to stay that way, but the walls do not meet the scalloped roof tiles, leaving spaces where mosquitoes can get in.

It may be my imagination, but it seems to me a long time ago, I saw two meter strips of molding (?) like the piece of cardboard in the picture.

Can anyone recall seeing these? I think they were made out of some concrete fiber composite.

post-118093-0-98069000-1438162438_thumb.

Why not just caulk it?

OH...just noticed the scalloped piece was just your demonstration piece....

Not sure how much you have to fill in but can get a local handyman to fill with concrete/plaster and Then you can caulk the seams if need be.

Or for the scalloped pieces you can go to Home Pro, Global, Home Mart or you local building supply company and show them your mock-up cardboard piece ....either they will know or can tell you where to get it.

Edited by beachproperty

I went to Home Pro today, where I thought I had seen them, but they were sure they had never had anything like that in their store. I have the tools to make these pieces, but I think they are out there.

I went to Home Pro today, where I thought I had seen them, but they were sure they had never had anything like that in their store. I have the tools to make these pieces, but I think they are out there.

They are out there......

They make them for support and vented ends (to keep critters out)

Home Pro may not have been the best suggestion .....maybe try a lumber yard, or in the Wharehouse part of Global or Thai Wadsudu (sic)

Kinda looks like this

post-190189-0-27955000-1438170868_thumb.

Otherwise just fill in the space with concrete/plaster and finish off

Edited by beachproperty

It's real easy to make from Villa Board sheets....Dont use the one around thats made of a rubber substance...the heat kills it in months.

Best thing I ever did to keep out rodents was cut these from Villa board sheets to the depth you want, using 4mm sheets 2400x1200...and they are as cheap as chips to buy...

I wouldn't take a member of staff's word ....that they never stocked them....as Gospel. He could be literally standing on them and could say that. ...I used to think when they told me "No have-No have" they must know what they are talking about until I was literally looking for "brown paint" one day when she told me "No-have" and in the same instant I spotted exactly what I was looking for over her left shoulder behind her. And listen to this because it is true...I was looking for a "Stopper" for a sink in Home Pro one day and forgot to bring a photo of what I was looking for (I always do that now) so instead I took one out of a demonstration sink unit and walked up to an assistant with it in my outstretched hand and asked for "same same". "No-have No have" came the standard reply....."HAVE" I said, I get this here just now....."No have- No have". No matter how hard I tried I could not convince her that she indeed had it in her store...because I am standing here with it in my hand.... and I just got it here.

The joys of shopping in Thailand....555

Shera Wood have what you search but I don't know exactly what Shops sale it. In Pattaya I saw it long time ago at Kanjong Homemart on Sukhumvit. It's on the way to Sattahip 1-2km after Makro on the right site.

Name have changend now.

Here is what you search: http://www.sherasolution.com/en/commercial/products/application/roof-application/series/30115/

If a home mart don't have it, they can order it for you.

Edited by snowgard

You could use expander foam and trim off any excess. Just spray in the void and let it set then trim.

Not good hey mate....Rats eat everything they can....even copperwire coated with plastic...biggrin.png

Three days and they are through it for sure....

Edited by weegee

Shera Wood have what you search but I don't know exactly what Shops sale it. In Pattaya I saw it long time ago at Kanjong Homemart on Sukhumvit. It's on the way to Sattahip 1-2km after Makro on the right site.

Name have changend now.

Here is what you search: http://www.sherasolution.com/en/commercial/products/application/roof-application/series/30115/

If a home mart don't have it, they can order it for you.

Thanks, this is a winner. Global House in Chiang Mai only carried/would order one style of this, too big for my roof tiles. This will get me what I need.

You could use expander foam and trim off any excess. Just spray in the void and let it set then trim.

Expander foam is very expensive in Thailand. The price for a can is between 399-599 THB.

Shera costs per piece only 40-60 THB.

If you can't find the product you re looking for use the expnding foam option with the straw on the end it will allow you to shoot it right into the crevice sealing out the damn green geicos and any insects.Once it dries its hard a little trimming and your done.

Just from the picture these boards can be purchased at most construction supply stores. They are composite material with a cement type material so termites do not feast on it. They are usually placed on the outside so birds can't enter into the roof area.

The roof material is a very low grade and most homes if not all are built with gap to the roof the gap is what I call the Thai way to ventilate the home. When you said you remove the ceiling and what to leave it this way confuses me as to why... Did you remove the sheet rock ceiling!

If you have a small area, using the foam might be the best solution. As noted a can will cost you around 350-400, the problem is the foam is sticky and can be messy if you do not know how to control the flow. If use shoot some into the gap and and the foam will expand. Before drying it will look like shit but once dry you can come back with a sharp knife and trim the access off.

Nothing personal, bugs, mosquitoes, are a common fixture here if they bother you like such you might think about moving to a high rise Condo. How do you plan to keep out all the different types of Ants..etc...

Yes you can buy them but they are usually use on the outside.

Edited by thailand49

The house has only been a house since we moved in. Before that it was a cooking school. Before that it was kind of a factory for Thai pillows and crafts. The ceiling was bamboo and was rat infested. We poisoned the rats, ripped down the bamboo, and painted the underside of the roof tiles. The house sits under 150-year old tamarind trees and is usually quite cool. Bugs, geckos, etc don't bother me. There is a tokay who poops in the middle of the kitchen every night from on high. I just put the trashcan there and it lands perfectly. But, I would like to make one bedroom tighter, mainly thinking about denque which I had about eight years ago. Unfortunately, the pieces mentioned above will not fit the scalloped roof tiles in our house. The waves are too big. It looks like I will have to cut out pieces with a hand jigsaw.

I fully understand your reason and goal as noted you want it to be tight? But the type of house you live in and being in Thailand it is impossible. I've tried when I first moved here...even if you make it tight. how do you keep them out each time you open your door to the outside. Try keeping out the ants? You can seal every hole you see clean your floor each day but as soon as you drop a crumb on the floor here they come!

Just impossible?

I don't think it's impossible. We lived for years in an old wooden beach house and I was able to tighten up one of the bedrooms so that there were rarely any mosquitos in there even though the rest of the house had no screens and the mosquitos roamed free. The key was keeping the door closed when you were in it. Ironically, when my wife had the flu, I slept in the other bedroom which is where I'm pretty sure I got denque.

Ok. Situation now better understood. And yes...using material of your choice and scribing and cutting to custom fit is probably the best but tedious method. Also but not so easy to control a tidy result is to use the expanding foam to seal completly. If the aim is to eliminate entry of insects via roof then a complete seal is needed.....but only effective if other points of entry are also screened....windows and doors... Good luck ! smile.png

I don't think it's impossible. We lived for years in an old wooden beach house and I was able to tighten up one of the bedrooms so that there were rarely any mosquitos in there even though the rest of the house had no screens and the mosquitos roamed free. The key was keeping the door closed when you were in it. Ironically, when my wife had the flu, I slept in the other bedroom which is where I'm pretty sure I got denque

The mosquito that carries dengue is not active during the night, so you are unlikely to be bitten by it while sleeping (unless you take afternoon naps smile.png ).

Sophon

I don't think it's impossible. We lived for years in an old wooden beach house and I was able to tighten up one of the bedrooms so that there were rarely any mosquitos in there even though the rest of the house had no screens and the mosquitos roamed free. The key was keeping the door closed when you were in it. Ironically, when my wife had the flu, I slept in the other bedroom which is where I'm pretty sure I got denque

The mosquito that carries dengue is not active during the night, so you are unlikely to be bitten by it while sleeping (unless you take afternoon naps smile.png ).

Sophon

1. Only the female Aedes mosquito bites as it needs the protein in blood to develop its eggs.

2. The mosquito becomes infective approximately seven days after it has bitten a person carrying the virus. This is the extrinsic incubation period, during which time the virus replicates in the mosquito and reaches the salivary glands.

3. PEAK BITING IS AT DAWN AND AT DUSK.

4. The average lifespan of an Aedes mosquito in Nature is two weeks.

5. The mosquito can lay eggs about three times in its lifetime, and about 100 eggs are produced each time.

6. The eggs can lie dormant in dry conditions for up to about nine months, after which they can hatch if exposed to favourable conditions, i.e. water and food.

7. Breeding is preferred in still fresh clear water rather than contaminated or stagnant.

So while amkiing an effort to prevent entry to a hgouse it is just as productive to seek out and eliminate or cover the breeding source of water.