Ukrainians arrested for allegedly using fake ATM cards

webfact

Ukrainians nabbed over ATM scam
The Nation

30265538-01_big.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Three Ukrainians were arrested for allegedly using fake electronic cards to withdraw Bt1.5 million from ATMs in Chiang Mai's Muang district, police announced Wednesday.

Yevhen Vorontsev, 36; Andrii Herashohenko, 23; and Dmytro Kuchin, 20; were arrested on Tuesday afternoon in three separate locations, while their compatriot accomplice identified as Dmyteo Vlad, 31, is still at large.

Police investigation found that these suspects had allegedly used skimmer devices to copy other ATM card information onto fake cards, which they then used to withdraw cash in 1,000 occasions.

However, they only managed to get money out 162 times totalling Bt1.58 million. They allegedly told police that they had sent the money back to Ukraine.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Ukrainians-nabbed-over-ATM-scam-30265538.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-29

They withdrew cash 1000 times then the next line it was 162 times.

Bit of a discrepancy.

I read it that they tried to use the cards 1000 times but only successfully got money 162 times.

( I have my Thai press translator turned on)

Edited by jacko45k

Bit of a discrepancy.

They attempted to withdraw from 1,000 places but only managed to get money out of 162. The other 838 places probably did not dispense any cash.

Bit of a discrepancy.

They did not withdraw 1,000 times they attempted and succeeded 162 times. You need to read it more carefully.

No, it says they withdrew cash 1000 times then the next line it says 162 times.

Bit of a discrepancy.

They did not withdraw 1,000 times they attempted and succeeded 162 times. You need to read it more carefully.

No, it says they withdrew cash 1000 times then the next line it says 162 times.

I've often been behind someone using his/her ATM card to withdraw cash and seen them actually walk away with nothing (usually after making several attempts in the futile expectation that their zero bank balance will suddenly & magically increase).

Using the card to withdraw money and doing it successfully are not necessarily the same thing.

Bit of a discrepancy.

I read it that they tried to use the cards 1000 times but only successfully got money 162 times.

Does that make a big diference to you. Lock the f--ck--s up for life.

Still a few criminals left in Thailand keep going to the good BIB catching these thieving criminals round them up and lock them up and after time served in a terrible prison deport them for life. Good riddance we don’t need foreign criminals here plenty locals for that job.

Wasn't that long ago that it was the mug shots of Boiler Room scammers from the UK and Oz regularly busted and highlighted on here ...now it's ATM skimmers mostly from Eastern Europe and Malaysia gracing our screens.This is obviously where the 'easy money' is now and I know the BiB have copped a lot of flak on here but they certainly seem to have got their act together on this scam.Well done lads!

That man to the right in the picture looks very much like the Ukrainian that visited Pattaya and Phuket some time ago pretending to be deaf and ask for donations . I had a good look at him closeup when he tried that scam on me, but might not be the same, if he didnt hide some of his face I could confirm it.

Edited by balo

how did they get the money out of the country?

They wire it.......send it from bank to bank....

and the banks require a reason for wiring it out under the money laundering laws?

dont they need a TT3? or some valid reason

I honestly don't Know,....but Imagine they are a International criminal organization, working in several groups....that don't contact each other, but they all know were to go if the others are caught... .let's say 3-4-5 groups of 3 to 4.....

they are provided with new credit cards and codes on a regular basis....they bring the proceeds of there activity's also on a regular basis to one point...or it get's picked up.....

The organisation has ways to transfer the loot ....if they have contacts witch they certainly have it goes via the diplomatic post...!!!...or they re exchange it in hard value...and pass it on accomplices that fly back....or it goes back by boat ? some East European company that has boats comming to Thailand regularly....?

You know as I do that the Thai police regularly catches east Europeans doing this card skimming job..... let's imagine they are all connected ????? and it's not that hard to imagine ! we both saw numerous pictures of 3 to 4 east Europeans caught by the Police.....there was always one that got away...

I remember a couple of weeks ago, they caught tree to four guys and one got away ,...a few weeks before that the same happened...and I am not even talking about the Ghanaians that are caught on a regular basis....??? witch is a other Mafia !!!??? and probably work the same way....

Anyway I am convinced these are not 3-4 guys working completely alone....there must be a bigger organisation behind this....it happens to often...

Best Regards, Off Road Pat.

Edited by off road pat

What the stupid Nation article DOESN'T say or even acknowledge is that the way these guys got their 1.5 million baht was by fraudulently draining those funds from other people's accounts, probably people here in Thailand, but perhaps elsewhere.

Now, all those people, if they even know they've been victimized by skimmers, are having to deal with their banks to try to get those stolen funds restored. And if it's in Thailand, that's not necessarily a very easy thing to do.

It's not like these guys stole money belonging to the banks. They stole money right out of individual customers' accounts.

Bit of a discrepancy.

Does that make a big diference to you. Lock the f--ck--s up for life.

Yes, a difference of 838 . The post was dissecting the report.