Prayut: Stop blaming America for TIP report

webfact

Prayuth: Stop Blaming America for TIP Report
By Khaosod English

14381670541438167304l.jpg
Junta chairman and Prime Minister Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha speaking at the Ministry of Industry, 29 July 2015.

BANGKOK — Junta chairman Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha has asked Thais to stop blaming the United States government for awarding Thailand with a low ranking in its annual report on human trafficking around the globe.

In the 2015 Trafficking in Person (TIP) report published this week, the US State Department retained Thailand in the lowest ‘Tier 3’ category, citing the government’s failure to take significant steps to eradicate trafficking. Thailand was first downgraded to Tier 3 in last year's report, which came out shortly after the army seized power in a coup d'etat.

Responding to the report today, Gen. Prayuth said that Thailand should focus on improving its record instead of shifting blame to the US government, as some Thai officials and citizens have done.

"I think it is best if we don't blame them at all. Don't blame them and say they did it because of politics, or whatever. It won't do us any good," Gen. Prayuth told reporters after a meeting at the Ministry of Industry today.

"Haven't you noticed what I have said to you? I told you we have to accept it. These things are wrong because we have done wrong. [The US] already set the rules, but in the past we have not fixed our problems. Now that they want to punish us like this, they can punish us. We have to do our best."

Gen. Prayuth continued, "No matter what, we will still be friends in the future. If we pick a fight with them, it would only be messier. Instead of giving us something, they won't give us anything at all. We can't force them. We are not a superpower. And if we pick a fight them, we won't ever be a superpower, no way. We can only ask them to understand us."

The general's remarks contrasted with the reactions of other officials and conservative Thais who have spoken to the media in recent days.

For example, Don Pramudwinai, a spokesperson for Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said yesterday that the US government should consider "what it feels like for Thai people" to know that their nation has been placed in the same category as Iran and North Korea. "Is that appropriate?" he asked.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1438167054

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-29

For example, Don Pramudwinai, a spokesperson for Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said yesterday that the US government should consider "what it feels like for Thai people" to know that their nation has been placed in the same category as Iran and North Korea. "Is that appropriate?" he asked.

No, not appropriate. You forgot Russia and China. You have gone to bed with your new allies. Enjoy the rest.

"For example, Don Pramudwinai, a spokesperson for Thailands Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said yesterday that the US government should consider "what it feels like for Thai people" to know that their nation has been placed in the same category as Iran and North Korea. "Is that appropriate?" he asked."

It would seem so.

Finally a sensible statement from the general. And yes, he is right, Thailand has done wrong - but now has the chance to make it right.

And to those oh so patriotic and/or nationalistic blinker-wearing locals who are playing the usual blame game:

- If you have ever visited a brothel where you knew foreign girls were held against their will, YOU HAVE DONE WRONG.

- If you own a fishing trawler and knowingly employ illegal immigrants under slave-like conditions, YOU HAVE DONE WRONG.

- If you operate a sweatshop where you knowingly use child labor or illegal immigrants, YOU HAVE DONE WRONG.

- If you profit in any way from illegal workers who may have been trafficked, YOU HAVE DONE WRONG.

- If you act as an agent who arranges transits or job placements for illegal workers, YOU HAVE DONE WRONG.

- If you operate a vessel or road vehicle to transport illegal workers in exchange for a fee, YOU HAVE DONE WRONG.

Before you whine about the US report, complain first against your fellow countrymen who are actively engaged in this disgusting trade. Or blame yourselves in case the shoe fits.

"For example, Don Pramudwinai, a spokesperson for Thailands Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said yesterday that the US government should consider "what it feels like for Thai people" to know that their nation has been placed in the same category as Iran and North Korea. "Is that appropriate?" he asked."

It would seem so.

If the cap fits etc.

Finally a sensible statement from the general. And yes, he is right, Thailand has done wrong - but now has the chance to make it right.

And to those oh so patriotic and/or nationalistic blinker-wearing locals who are playing the usual blame game:

- If you have ever visited a brothel where you knew foreign girls were held against their will, YOU HAVE DONE WRONG.

- If you own a fishing trawler and knowingly employ illegal immigrants under slave-like conditions, YOU HAVE DONE WRONG.

- If you operate a sweatshop where you knowingly use child labor or illegal immigrants, YOU HAVE DONE WRONG.

- If you profit in any way from illegal workers who may have been trafficked, YOU HAVE DONE WRONG.

- If you act as an agent who arranges transits or job placements for illegal workers, YOU HAVE DONE WRONG.

- If you operate a vessel or road vehicle to transport illegal workers in exchange for a fee, YOU HAVE DONE WRONG.

Before you whine about the US report, complain first against your fellow countrymen who are actively engaged in this disgusting trade. Or blame yourselves in case the shoe fits.

I don't think you will get many likes for your post,but you have made some very relevent points which will be ignored by the know best brigade,I suggest you put your flack jacket on and hunker down.

First sensible statement I've ever heard him make.

Let's give him some credit without reservation.This is the sane grown up approach.Good for him.

That's egg on some of the junta fanbois faces, eh? I bet they are quietly slinking away from this thread...

Wow..fair play to him. My feeling on the PM is still on the fence but if he means that hats of to him. It's not easy in the Thai psyche

to be admitting this. Long may it continue. To be fair rightly or wrongly how he came into power he inherited a absolute mess which hasn't just happened and is ingrained in Thai society. If he keeps following up with positive action and most important sackings and prison sentences then I will take my hat of again to him

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Stating the obvious, like no other, our dear almighty PM and former general cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Don't hold your breath folks,.... soon things will be back to normal after that smoke screen criticism about the own Nation....

Edited by MaxLee

He is still focused on "fighting with the Americans" and image rather than making a commitment to resolve the trafficking problem once and for all. With so few people arrested for trafficking, it will likely resume since no long term actions are being taken. Hundreds of people including government officials had to be involved as extensive as it was.

"Haven't you noticed what I have said to you? I told you we have to accept it. These things are wrong because we have done wrong. [The US] already set the rules, but in the past we have not fixed our problems. Now that they want to punish us like this, they can punish us. We have to do our best."

Really ? looks like a perfectly normal Thai whine to me

Well what else can he say. Europeans are ditching Thai fishing products, US are ditching Thai fishing products, Indonesia is ditching Thai fisherman for illegal trafficking

Australia and New Zealand are looking at ditching Thai fishing Products and all because of ... Ummmm Why?

Thailand is really on the nose and talk talk talk is over boys.

Now the BIG players to your economy want to see ACTION. These nations use one thing because of inaction on another.

Really ? looks like a perfectly normal Thai whine to me

Oh thank you so much for restoring my faith in the human ability to correctly use one's eyes and ears!

This is nothing of the sort of what many posters seem to misunderstand: beyond the 'normal Thai whine' it is a further distancing and potential reboot of the franchise.

Yes General, this is the correct way to go. And tell the Nation Newspaper to shut up whenever they make put up their anti-American articles. Getting back to being friends with America will be important. It would be good to have China and America competing against each other to try and influence Thailand. After all, they both want Thailand in their sphere of influence.

Prayut should also consider "what it feels like for Thai people" to know that their nation has been placed in the same category as North Korea when it comes to absence of democracy.

Based on all the calls for elections, and not reforms, I'd say most here don't really understand democracy. Voting is only one part of being democratic.

I'm impressed. A bit different from what we've been experiencing lately. Let's hope he keeps it up. He inherited a mess. Which can't be fixed in a year.

He didn't inherit ANYTHING. He snatched power from an admittedly crappy elected government, and has managed to screw it up even more than they did. This is the first lucid statement he has offered, and one can only hope it signals a more thoughtful approach.

I highly doubt it, however.

Prayut should also consider "what it feels like for Thai people" to know that their nation has been placed in the same category as North Korea when it comes to absence of democracy.

Cheap shot. He didn't create this mess. He was handed it. As we know, Thais aren't going to do anything until they have to. Things like maintenance of their airline industry. All Prayuth can do is try and make the changes in the incompetence and corruption at every layer of Thai governance. It don't come easy.

I remain a strong supporter of General. I have seen nothing but positive movement in every aspect of Thailand since he took over. I remember where we were before he took over and never want to go back to that. Democracy is overated in a third world country. Thailand will get there soon enough. Once democracy is restored, the usual characters get their hands back into the till and everything reverts back to where we were before the coup. Prayuth isn't in there to enrich himself like every politician in Thailand.

I blame America for not realizing what Prayuth has done to this point. And I commend American for pointing out what still has to be done.

Edited by Pinot

America knows full well what the general has done. Remember, the report was finished several months ago. Current activities were not included in the analysis. They also gave a huge thumbs up in a separate statement for the actions taken so far.

Great editorial in the Post today. Worth a read.

Holy hawker stalls, Batman! The man speaks with integrity. Just spend a little time looking at Malaysian stories for comparison. The Malays blame the U.S. for everything including their lousy drinking water, not to mention corrupting the values of their adolescents. Once again I say...expats can complain all day about Thailand and the avaricious women, etc. But in every respect it's still 1000% better than Malaysia any day.