3 entry tourist visa, 2 passports

Hello, I am new here.

I have a German and a British passport (dual citizenship). I am now in Thailand with a 3-entry tourist visa (issued in Europe) using my German passport. I need a new visa soon, preferably another 3-entry visa.

I left my British passport with my brother in London as I didn't think I would need it (and there's always a slight risk for passports being stolen when travelling).

I wonder if this would work:

I send a filled-in visa application addressed to the Thai embassy in London to my brother, complete with photos etc. He'll get me a 3-entry tourist visa in London using my British passport (he'll probably mail it as he's too busy to visit the embassy). He will then send it with DHL, UPS or similar to Kuala Lumpur. I will fly to KL on my German passport, pick up my British passport there and leave Malaysia on my German passport, then swap mid-air and land in Thailand on my British passport with the new 3-entry visa.

Or will I have to fly to London myself?

If Thai Immigration can link my name, DOB and/or photo between the passports, they will be able to see that the visa in my British passport was issued while I was still in Thailand (unless I leave very early for Malaysia and spend a couple of weeks there, but I'd rather not). There will be no Malaysian stamps in my British passport, but I can tell them that I only did transit at KLIA, so I never entered Malaysia on my British passport.

If they can do this, would they care? Would it matter which airport I fly back to (Swampy, DMK, Pattaya)? Pattaya would be closest to where I live (cheap direct flights KL - Pattaya with AirAsia), but it's a small airport so there'd be more of a risk of being recognised, maybe?

Anyone? Reply here or PM. Thanks.

You could probably do it without a problem. If any problems arise it would probably be getting the visa from the Embassy.

Thanks. Why would I have trouble with the embassy?

I was thinking of spending approx. 48 hrs in KL and flying from and to Pattaya, as it would be easiest. It wouldn't matter which airport I use, would it?

You could probably do it without a problem. If any problems arise it would probably be getting the visa from the Embassy.

Thanks. Why would I have trouble with the embassy?

I was thinking of spending approx. 48 hrs in KL and flying from and to Pattaya, as it would be easiest. It wouldn't matter which airport I use, would it?

There is no reason why you would have any trouble with the embassy. I have two British passports and have done the same thing myself.

It doesn't matter which airport you use when you re-enter.

If you had the British Passport sent to you here in Thailand first then if you departed on your German p/p but on clearing immigration at KLIA presented your British this would then be duly stamped as arriving (thus perhaps eliminating the worry of being asked on arrival back into Thailand about the absence of an arrival stamp in the UK passport). Do not know if this would actually work but based on above posts it seems an option, also at least you know that you have the UK passport actually in your possession before flying to KL.

• Like 1

If you had the British Passport sent to you here in Thailand first then if you departed on your German p/p but on clearing immigration at KLIA presented your British this would then be duly stamped as arriving (thus perhaps eliminating the worry of being asked on arrival back into Thailand about the absence of an arrival stamp in the UK passport). Do not know if this would actually work but based on above posts it seems an option, also at least you know that you have the UK passport actually in your possession before flying to KL.

All he needs to do is exit Thailand using his German passport because that was used for entry. After that he can use whichever passport he wants.

True, however these stamps would also provide ample proof of my possessing said passport with a fresh visa as I was leaving Thailand, if the immigration officer can be troubled to think a bit and draw a conclusion or two. I feel it may be safer to have no stamps, and say I only did transit at KLIA, hence no stamps. I suppose they could check with airlines or KLIA whether or not I actually flew to Europe and back, but I don't think they do that. It must be fairly common at, say, DMK to receive transit passengers from KLIA with no Malaysian stamps. Even if it isn't common at Pattaya airport, it shouldn't appear too unlikely an explanation.

In reality, I don't think they care if you swap passports this way, as long as you have a valid passport, a visa issued outside of (SE) Asia and you behave. They'll probably be able to tell I do this (link both of my passports to me), but at least so far, I haven't heard of a crack-down on this particular practice; it can't be all too common. I don't think it's illegal either, more in the grey zone.

Edited by FritzB
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I applied for and was granted a fresh 3-entry tourist visa in London with a 6 month validity period. My brother's been planning to visit me anyway so he's bringing the passport here before my KL visit.

I'll fly from Pattaya to KL, stay 2 nights and fly back to Pattaya. I can

A) Swap passports mid-air on my way to KL and enter Malaysia on my British passport, then fly back to Thailand on my British passport. Will have Malaysian stamps in my British passport.

or

B ) Enter Malaysia on my German passport and only swap passports mid-air on my way back to Pattaya. Won't have Malaysian stamps in my British passport.

Which should I do and why? Does it make any difference?

Edited by FritzB

'A' solves any questions at Bkk immigration.

But if you are planning to enter Malaysia on your British passport you should check in to the flight using that passport. Then exit Thailand on the German passport. Otherwise the flight manifesto will have you travelling as a German.

Edited by elviajero

A) is best. That way you will have an entry and departure stamps for Malaysia.

But if you are planning to enter Malaysia on your British passport you should check in to the flight using that passport. Then exit Thailand on the German passport. Otherwise the flight manifesto will have you travelling as a German.

If I choose A, won't immigration be able to figure out that I must have had my British passport (new visa included) on me when departing Thailand, since the Malaysian entry stamp will have the same date as my exit from Thailand (and the visa will have been issued while I was in Thailand)? Or do they simply not care?

As for the flight manifesto, I made two separate bookings - Pattaya to KL with my German passport, KL to Pattaya with my British passport. That should be enough, no?

Edited by FritzB

If I choose A, won't immigration be able to figure out that I must have had my British passport (new visa included) on me when departing Thailand, since the Malaysian entry stamp will have the same date as my exit from Thailand (and the visa will have been issued while I was in Thailand)? Or they don't care?

As for the flight manifesto, I made two separate bookings - Pattaya to KL with my German passport, KL to Pattaya with my British passport. That should be enough, no?

At the airport Thai immigration doesn't care about your exit stamp, because many countries do not stamp their own citizens or residents. Consequently it is accepted and legal practice that people, including Thais, do passport swaps by air travel.

Only a serious investigation would cause Thai immigration to check the details of airlines reservations . That is not normally done as the the time and complexity required would make it impossible when handling the volume of passengers at BKK.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

A) is best. That way you will have an entry and departure stamps for Malaysia.

If I choose A, won't immigration be able to figure out that I must have had my British passport (new visa included) on me when departing Thailand, since the Malaysian entry stamp will have the same date as my exit from Thailand (and the visa will have been issued while I was in Thailand)? Or do they simply not care?

You are doing nothing wrong so have nothing to worry about. You're a dual national with two passports. You can travel on whichever you want. All thats important is that you enter and exit using the same one. Carry the German one with you and if Malaysian immigration want proof that you exited Thailand you'll have it. Many people have two passports for the very reason that they can continue traveling whilst applying for visas needed in the future.

The important thing is that the passport of the person checking in to the flight is the same as when entering the next country. I don't think the booking is important but I don't know enough to comment. If your worried you can always call the airline and check if you need to change it.

• Like 1

The important thing is that the passport of the person checking in to the flight is the same as when entering the next country. I don't think the booking is important but I don't know enough to comment. If your worried you can always call the airline and check if you need to change it.

Thank you. However I don't quite understand why it is important to check in with the passport I will then use to enter Malaysia. KL is a massive airport receiving millions of passengers from all over - would Malaysian immigration have a problem with me flying to KL on my German passport but entering on my British one? Would they even know?

Thank you. However I don't quite understand why it is important to check in with the passport I will then use to enter Malaysia. KL is a massive airport receiving millions of passengers from all over - would Malaysian immigration have a problem with me flying to KL on my German passport but entering on my British one? Would they even know?

It is extremely unlikely that they would know or even care.

• Like 1

I have some difficulty making sense of your post.

The important thing is that you leave Thailand with the passport you used to enter Thailand, and that you will leave Malaysia with the passport you use to enter Malaysia.

When flying, it is OK to leave Thailand with the passport with which you entered Thailand, let's call it passport A, then enter and leave Malaysia with passport A, then enter and leave Thailand with passport B. Is this what you plan to do?

I'm passing on advice given to me from other dual nationals for when I travel with my dual nationality son.

"would Malaysian immigration have a problem with me flying to KL on my German passport but entering on my British one?"

I doubt it very much as you carry two passports.

"Would they even know?"

Let me stress that the following is second hand uncorroborated information and that I do not claim it as true.

I am led to believe that some immigration computer systems, the US being one, now have a record of every passenger confirmed as boarding a flight. So if someone presents a passport to immigration that does not appear on this list the person is flagged for interviewing. E.g. how did British Fritz get in to the airport when he'd didn't board a plane.

IF this is true it would make sense as to the advice given by regular dual national travellers because it avoids the possibility of being interviewed over the mismatch. IMO in this day and age I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were true.

However, if immigration do not have this facility then there is no way they would know.

The advice given to me for traveling with my son is to enter and exit using the same passport but check in to the flight using the passport he intends to enter the next country with. As I've said if you are concerned just call the airline and they will give you the only advice that counts. And please pass on the result if you do.

I'm passing on advice given to me from other dual nationals for when I travel with my dual nationality son.

"would Malaysian immigration have a problem with me flying to KL on my German passport but entering on my British one?"

I doubt it very much as you carry two passports.

"Would they even know?"

Let me stress that the following is second hand uncorroborated information and that I do not claim it as true.

I am led to believe that some immigration computer systems, the US being one, now have a record of every passenger confirmed as boarding a flight. So if someone presents a passport to immigration that does not appear on this list the person is flagged for interviewing. E.g. how did British Fritz get in to the airport when he'd didn't board a plane.

IF this is true it would make sense as to the advice given by regular dual national travellers because it avoids the possibility of being interviewed over the mismatch. IMO in this day and age I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were true.

However, if immigration do not have this facility then there is no way they would know.

The advice given to me for traveling with my son is to enter and exit using the same passport but check in to the flight using the passport he intends to enter the next country with. As I've said if you are concerned just call the airline and they will give you the only advice that counts. And please pass on the result if you do.

Ok, thanks. I very much doubt that SE Asian countries (except Singapore I guess) have these facilities... I'm more concerned that the check-in staff at Pattaya airport would object to my procuring a different passport form the one I show to Thai immigration, and one lacking a valid Thai visa or visa exempt stamp. Who knows, they might even call an immigration officer to find out what's going on - and if they did give both of my passports a close look, they would no doubt find it "interesting" that I have a fresh 3-entry TR visa in my British passport before leaving Thailand. I don't know if it's illegal (probably not), but it's certainly out of the ordinary and best not advertised much. I'm also more comfortable dealing with questions from Malaysian immigration (would probably just ask me to show them my German passport) as I don't plan to stay more than two days in their country.

The procedure you suggest is probably advisable in 1st world countries, but I reckon my way is safer in SE Asia. I'll find out soon enough either way :)

...I'm more concerned that the check-in staff at Pattaya airport would object to my procuring a different passport form the one I show to Thai immigration, and one lacking a valid Thai visa or visa exempt stamp. Who knows, they might even call an immigration officer to find out what's going on - and if they did give both of my passports a close look, they would no doubt find it "interesting" that I have a fresh 3-entry TR visa in my British passport before leaving Thailand. I don't know if it's illegal (probably not), but it's certainly out of the ordinary and best not advertised much. I'm also more comfortable dealing with questions from Malaysian immigration (would probably just ask me to show them my German passport) as I don't plan to stay more than two days in their country.

You seem to be a bit onfused.

1. "...concerned that the check-in staff at Pattaya airport would object to my procuring a different passport form the one I show to Thai immigration, and one lacking a valid Thai visa or visa exempt stamp..."

I understand you entered Thailand with your German passport. Therefore you will present only your German passport when you check in for your flight to Malaysia. If the airline staff were to look for any visa, it would be for a visa to enter Malaysia, but you do not need such visa.

2. "...if [immigration] did give both of my passports a close look, they would no doubt find it "interesting" that I have a fresh 3-entry TR visa in my British passport before leaving Thailand..."

You show Thai immigration only your German passport, ie the passport that has your Thai arrival stamp in it.

3. On arrival in Malaysia, you show immigration only your British passport.

4. On departure from Malaysia, you show the airline staff and immigration only the British passport, ie the passport with which you entered Malaysia.

5. On arrival in Thailand, you show immigration only your British passport, which has the triple-entry tourist visa in it.

Note: you could also enter and leave Malaysia with your German passport, but this would involve the small risk that the airline staff in Malaysia would ask to see a confirmed flight out of Thailand within 30 days from arrival. In such event, you could show the airline staff also your British passport with the visa, but you would not show the British passport to Malaysian immigration.

The only thing that you have to worry about, as ubonjoe mentioned, is that on your arrival in Thailand with your British passport with the Thai visa in it, the Thai immigration officer would compare the visa issue date with your recent Thai arrival and departure dates displayed on his screen, notice that on the date the visa was issued you were physically in Thailand and therefore would annul your visa and give you only a visa-exempt permission to stay for 30 days. It is impossible to say how high this risk is. Personally, I estimate it at 83%.

Ok, thanks. I very much doubt that SE Asian countries (except Singapore I guess) have these facilities... I'm more concerned that the check-in staff at Pattaya airport would object to my procuring a different passport form the one I show to Thai immigration, and one lacking a valid Thai visa or visa exempt stamp. Who knows, they might even call an immigration officer to find out what's going on - and if they did give both of my passports a close look, they would no doubt find it "interesting" that I have a fresh 3-entry TR visa in my British passport before leaving Thailand. I don't know if it's illegal (probably not), but it's certainly out of the ordinary and best not advertised much. I'm also more comfortable dealing with questions from Malaysian immigration (would probably just ask me to show them my German passport) as I don't plan to stay more than two days in their country.

The procedure you suggest is probably advisable in 1st world countries, but I reckon my way is safer in SE Asia. I'll find out soon enough either way smile.png

Hi I travel with two passports,

In your case I would fly out on the German and possibly in/out of Malaysia on ( the same passport you booked your flight on ) so check-in won't ask any questions when they match your passport. Then on arrival to Thailand enter on the British Passport perfectly legal and no problem. If you are asked about having two passports then you can smile and say yes you do have two and see what they say. I really would doubt they will refuse the Visa even if you were in Thailand but technically they could.

I had a weird experience once, I went to Cambodia to get a tourist Visa (when it was announced no more visa runs) and then when i came in I never completed the arrival form correctly so i was just given a 30 day visa exemption just like normal,( the Tourist Visa was not stamped). I never looked or realised, I had an emergency request to travel before the 30days and I caught a flight to Manila. When I returned to Bangkok and the guy at immigration said to me "why don't you use your tourist visa you get 60 days, its still valid" I immediately realised what had happened and said sure thanks ! :-).

In your case I would fly out on the German and possibly in/out of Malaysia on ( the same passport you booked your flight on ) so check-in won't ask any questions when they match your passport. Then on arrival to Thailand enter on the British Passport perfectly legal and no problem. If you are asked about having two passports then you can smile and say yes you do have two and see what they say. I really would doubt they will refuse the Visa even if you were in Thailand but technically they could.

So you would suggest that upon my return to Thailand, I produce my British passport with no Malaysian stamps? I could tell them that I never entered Malaysia but only did transit at KLIA, hence no stamps... I'm not sure that's my best bet though. I really doubt Malaysian immigration will have a problem with me entering on my British passport. KLIA is an extremely busy airport and Malaysia is a 3rd world country.

So you would suggest that upon my return to Thailand, I produce my British passport with no Malaysian stamps? I could tell them that I never entered Malaysia but only did transit at KLIA, hence no stamps... I'm not sure that's my best bet though. I really doubt Malaysian immigration will have a problem with me entering on my British passport. KLIA is an extremely busy airport and Malaysia is a 3rd world country.

You are "overthinking" this simple issue. You will not be the first person who has swapped passports and you will not be the last.

Stop worrying.

]So you would suggest that upon my return to Thailand, I produce my British passport with no Malaysian stamps? I could tell them that I never entered Malaysia but only did transit at KLIA, hence no stamps...

In the above scenario, you would be a tourist arriving at a Thai airport with a new UK passport with a Thai tourist visa issued in the UK. What makes you worry that the the Thai immigration officer would be looking for Malaysian stamps in this passport or that he would take any interest in your flight route? Unless, of course, you volunteered to him the information that you had this passport with the visa mailed to you in Thailand and made a day trip to Malaysia to use the first entry of the visa.

If you want my honest opinion, you should forget about this whole idea of getting a Thai visa into your British passport while you remain in Thailand. You would be sure to bungle it up, not to mention the considerable risk that the immigration officer would find it out by himself without your unsolicited help. Your nervousness would show, a clear signal for the immigration officer to have a closer look at his computer screen, and all you would get for your trouble would be a visa-exempt entry for 30 days.

• Like 1

]So you would suggest that upon my return to Thailand, I produce my British passport with no Malaysian stamps? I could tell them that I never entered Malaysia but only did transit at KLIA, hence no stamps...

In the above scenario, you would be a tourist arriving at a Thai airport with a new UK passport with a Thai tourist visa issued in the UK. What makes you worry that the the Thai immigration officer would be looking for Malaysian stamps in this passport or that he would take any interest in your flight route? Unless, of course, you volunteered to him the information that you had this passport with the visa mailed to you in Thailand and made a day trip to Malaysia to use the first entry of the visa.

If you want my honest opinion, you should forget about this whole idea of getting a Thai visa into your British passport while you remain in Thailand. You would be sure to bungle it up, not to mention the considerable risk that the immigration officer would find it out by himself without your unsolicited help. Your nervousness would show, a clear signal for the immigration officer to have a closer look at his computer screen, and all you would get for your trouble would be a visa-exempt entry for 30 days.

Hmm. Maybe you're right. I've heard it's easy to get visas in Cambodia... Maybe I should look into that. I do feel terribly nervous every time I have to hand over my passport to an authority figure who could get angry at me and send me packing...

Edited by FritzB

• 2 weeks later...

So the Malaysian immigration officer at KLIA2 refused to accept my British passport. Kept insisting there must be a Thai stamp in it, until I had to produce my German passport, which he promptly stamped. Wouldn't discuss it at all, just kept repeating that there must be a stamp. Not sure how he knew I flew in from Thailand, but I strongly suspect it was because I happened to land at a quiet time and our flight was probably the only one being processed at the time. Or else their computer system is linked to all the airlines so my name will show where I flew from.

I now have no Malaysian stamps in my British passport. I've decided to fly to Suvarnabhumi instead as immigration at the tiny Pattaya airport will almost certainly find it suspicious that I have no Malaysian stamps in my (British) passport. There ought to be plenty of farangs with no stamps in their passports at Suvarnabhumi. Flying tomorrow, we'll see how it goes...

Edited by FritzB

Just out of interest. Did you check in to the fight with the German or British passport?

German. Didn't want to risk incidents with immigration at Pattaya airport.

However the Malaysian immigration officer kept repeating "need stamp"... He was specifically looking for a Thai stamp.

• Like 1