Deodorant

DanceAllNight

• 2 weeks later...

Become a vegetarian then you won't need any. I have never used deodorant here.

In my former life I had a co-worker who was vegan (more extreme).

His mouth odor was so foul you couldn't stand to have him close.

His body odor not much better.

I guess it has to do with the fact that they can't use any of the usual stuff for washing, showering, teeth brushing.

Back to topic:

I have more and more skin problems like rashes under the armpit and suppose it has to do with deodorant (and/or washing detergent), I am searching for alternatives.

Yesterday I bought one of these "crystal sticks", claiming to be 100% natural, non allergenic.

Does anyone have experience with that?

Edited by KhunBENQ

I guess it has to do with the fact that they can't use any of the usual stuff for washing, showering, teeth brushing.

Back to topic:

I have more and more skin problems like rashes under the armpit and suppose it has to do with deodorant (and/or washing detergent), I am searching for alternatives.

Yesterday I bought one of these "crystal sticks", claiming to be 100% natural, non allergenic.

Toss the crystal stick, it has chemical and perfumes in it that are probably caused your reactions. Look at my earlier post on this thread the discusses the san som crystals you can buy from the mom and pop stores here for 20 THB a bag. That stuff is raw aluminum chloride crystal, no other chemical. Just use that by itself. Until your skin clears. Then you can experiment with using a nam hom later.

Don't be fooled into the "100% natural" label. Plenty of things that are all-natural are still harmful. Rub some all-natural mango leaves under your arms and you'll end up with a terribly itchy rash.

These sticks (either alum or aluminum chlorohydrate) work by plugging up your pores and blocking the release of perspiration. In that respect they probably work as well as any traditional OTC antiperspirant because their mechanisms of action are all the same.

Testimonial: I used to have BO that could fell a water buffalo which only got worse when I came to Thailand. A few months ago I had a cyst in my arm pit which the doctor said normally isn't a problem and goes away on its own, but I seem to have particularly virulent strain of dermal strep living on me (most of us do, since it's easily spread by primary and second-hand contact). So I had to get it lanced and followed up with some extra-potent meds while it healed.

While it was healing, I obviously couldn't use any deodorant, which might break the sutures and contaminate the wound. So I did a swab with alcohol & cotton ball thrice-daily. After only a few days I noticed a distinct lack of odor. Since then I haven't used anything but the alcohol swab twice daily (after showering) and it's working at least as well as any of the deodorants I used back home if not better. Much cheaper, too.

The thing that I bought is fragrance free (my nose confirms) and promises "100% natural".

As written I just bought it yesterday but the rashes started long before.

I stopped using spray and changed to a "roll on".

Improved the situation for a while but now back.

Whether this mineral stick helps will take me a few days to find out.

The thing that I bought is fragrance free (my nose confirms) and promises "100% natural".

If it is 100 percent natural then is it aluminum chloride crystal. A big bag of that (about half a kilo) is 20THB.

Why would you buy a small stick that costs...50THB?

These steps alone will eliminate offensive body odor.

Unless you feel the need to smell flowery and unnatural, there is no need for deodorant or perfumes.

Oh, how I wish that were true. Literally, I have about 2 minutes out of the shower before my pits start going off.

My routine is to jump out, towel down and roll on the pit de-funk, then brush teeth. If I reverse the order, the folks in the elevator later that day are at serious risk.

Edit: And to add, about half of the available deodorant scents will go off on me and make it even worse. So I have to experiment whenever I change locations to see which ones I can use and which ones I need to avoid. Here in BKK, I use Nivea Roll on - the whitening formula. Available at Boots and sometimes at 7-11.

But, like most things, your mileage will vary. The Chinese GF uses nothing and never smells a bit.

Edited by impulse

Im with Bulldozer Dawn, the sun som works great for me.

Use nothing, stink to high heaven. Use comercial deodorant, smell like a French whore. With the sun som crystal, there is an odor. Its the odor of a human being. Its a distinctive oder and not ofensive. Humans do have an odor just like animals have thier own scent.

I used to notice this scent on some Thais but didnt realize what it was till I started using it.

I apply it after a shower, while Im still wet.

If it is 100 percent natural then is it aluminum chloride crystal. A big bag of that (about half a kilo) is 20THB.

Yes it is 100% "Alum".

If it proves good I will look out for a cheap source, although it seems already very cheap compared to the usual spray / roll on stuff.

Yes it is 100% "Alum".

If it proves good I will look out for a cheap source, although it seems already very cheap compared to the usual spray / roll on stuff.

Don't forget that there are 2 components to "anti-persirant" and "deodorant". The aluminum salts plug up the sweat glands and reduce sweating. That's the anti-perspirant part. But doesn't do much to kill the germs that make the sweat smell bad. That's the deodorant part.

No aluminum salts in the world will keep me from sweating in the BKK heat and humidity. So I need to keep the sweat from "fermenting". And that's why I pay 89 baht for a commercial preparation, and not 20 baht for a kg of crystals. Occasionaly, I'll add some powder to the commercial roll-on to increase the anti-perspirant properties, though.

But my genetics make me sweat even in a blizzard. I envy people who can go all day without pit stains. I can only aspire to non-stinky pit stains here in BKK.

Back in the US, I used some prescription stuff called Drysol- and it would stop my sweating altogether. I had to dilute it 50% with the roll-on, or it was so strong that it would raise welts under my arms. And the best way to use it was to apply it the night before, then just use the plain roll-on in the morning. If I used the Drysol or the mix in the morning, it didn't work.

Back to topic:

See post #15.... I wouldn't use anything else anymore.

Also, anyone ever try using baby powder for deodorant?

try snake powder ,the purple one prob ably smells the best (apparently lavender )

its available everywhere and its cheap

I knew a German guy that swore by using the new Black Forest pine needel smell deodorant from Krupp. He always smells like he has just had a sxxt in the Forest.