Best Small Car

stament

I'm in the market for a small dear for my wife to drive in a Chiang Mai. I've read a few threads on here but confess that I don't know a lot about cars so I need some advice.

Requirements are:

Hatchback

Easy to drive and park

Reliable

Good resale value

Good space

Looks good

Was thinking about the ford fiesta having read a few threads. However, after I read a few more I was put off as people said that Ford has very bad after service and unreliable.

Was hoping to spend around 600k but think it will have to be closer to 750k by the looks off.

Start the recommendations.... ;-)

There is a new suzuki ciaz out, it has a small 1.2L engine, 91hp, the same as my swift. It's plenty powerful enough around town and up to 100-120km/h. The ciaz has much more space inside though and about the size of a honda city sedan. In the eco car class, the yaris hatchback is the biggest seller, followed by the suzuki swift hatchback. So if you want a hatchback, start with trying the yaris vs swift (I think the yaris looks a little larger). Then there is the mazda 2 1.3L which has a hatchback version. It's gets better economy than those other eco cars. Then for more money there is the mazda 2 diesel with has good performance and good economy too. The top model fiesta is the 1.0 ecoboost version. I believe that is on discount now until the end of August. I found the fiesta a bit small inside, but may be fine for the wife.

Honda Jazz

Care to elaborate?

I have owned a few small hatchbacks, Suzuki, Hyundai, and Kia, but to me the Jazz was the nicest to drive, prettiest, roomier, and had more grunt than any of the others. They will also hold their price pretty well in Thailand. Just one man's opinion. Here's the "faceless box". Not sure what konying wants, perhaps a big Smiley face.

post-130068-0-47893500-1438342313_thumb.

post-130068-0-23870500-1438342561_thumb.

Edited by giddyup

OP, there is no best. It's all down to personal choice .

Head out , test drive all small models and see which one feels best for you.

Yes some makes hold value which also means more people buy it, which in turn also means more people selling.

Yaris is my opinion is a boring , flimsy car but to some its best .

Honda Jazz to some is the best, to me it's faceless box.

In the end of the day, all about the same .

Fiesta is good value for money, check out Mazda 2, sedan. Rather nice looking and excellent drive with nice interior

HONDA JAZZ

1) 1500CC ENGINE WITH CTV AUTO TRANSMISON 2015 MODEL FOR 600.000THB - THE 2015 MODEL HAVE AN ECO ENGINE USING E85 GAS

2) VERY GOOD RESALE VALUE .GOOD DEALS IN USED ONES. SOME 2006 TO 2012 MODELS HAVE A 7 SPEEDS AUTO TRANSMISION. THAT MODEL WAS CALLED "MODULO"

2) VERY ROOMY FOR ITS SIZE

3) HATCH BACK.... AND WITH AN AMAZING FOLDING SEATS SYSTEM AND HEIGHT INSIDE.

4) VERY GOOD SPORT LOOKING

5) STRONG BODY AND GOOD SUSPENSION

6) DUAL AIR BAGS

7) 4 WHEELS DISC BRAKES

8) REAR SENSORS

OUR JAZZ IS A BASIC AUTOMATIC 2013 MODEL. I WAS FITTING A 0.80 X 1.20 X 0.80 DRYER INSIDE WHEN I TOOK THESE PICTURES....THE ONLY ONE NOT HAPPY WITH THE LOAD WAS OUR GOLDEN RETRIEVER...IT IS HIS FAVORITE SPOT TO TRAVEL AND REST...AND HE HAD TO SQUEZZE AROUND.

post-183983-0-36919400-1438343012_thumb.post-183983-0-98229000-1438343037_thumb.

Edited by umbanda

Honda Jazz or stretch to a base model HRV (fantastic compact SUV and the wife will be the envy of her friends). Honda offer the best service period

Also have a look at the Mazda 2 - its fun to drive and looks very nice, inside and out. The one issue is the seating position I found far too close to the door pillar/window but maybe fine for petite ladies

Edited by fish fingers

More about the JAZZ....., the MOBILIO and the HRV.

The HRV is a very good looking hatchback Honda, but cannot be considered a small car, and its price is about 900.000. Amaizingly the cargo space is not much bigger that the Jazz, because in the Jazz the rear seat folds in 2 ways, and one way allow to load up to 2 complete standing bicycles on one side, and other cargo in the other side.

The Jazz is the only car in the market with that rear seat folding system. For some reason the HONDA JAZZ name in the US is HONDA FIT...and in the US is on the list of the best small cars.

post-183983-0-14753200-1438348203_thumb.

Other option is the Honda Mobilio...for about 750.000, it is longer but do not look so strong like the Jazz,, and the rear seat folding system is the normal type, like on the HRV and most hachback.

post-183983-0-87981400-1438348004_thumb.

In my particular taste....the honda HRV is a great looking SUV...but the price is too close to the SUBARU XT ALL WEEL DRIVE.....my favorite SUV in that price range....and still a bargain...998.000. The only problem may be the resale value.

post-183983-0-32341800-1438347108_thumb.

I have to admit that HONDA probably have all the best options in cars at this moment.

Edited by umbanda

If the OP wants to spend only 600K, most of those other options are out, except perhaps for a basic auto jazz. may as well talk about the new mazda 3 then, which would be arguably best in its class at the moment. Top model jazz if good, but it stretches well over 700K now.

The HRV is a very good looking hatchback Honda, but cannot be considered a small car, and its price is about 900.000. Amaizingly the cargo space is not much bigger that the Jazz, because in the Jazz the rear seat folds in 2 ways, and one way allow to load up to 2 complete standing bicycles on one side, and other cargo in the other side.

The Jazz is the only car in the market with that rear seat folding system.

Price for the S is 890,000 but I noticed a deal at the last motor show. There's another coming up.

The HRV is roughly 25cm longer and 10cm wider than the new 2015 jazz. So its footprint is not much different, just taller

As far as I know they both share magic seat system etc

Cargo space is in a completely different league, almost twice as much with the seats down.

HONDA JAZZ

1) 1500CC ENGINE WITH CTV AUTO TRANSMISON 2015 MODEL FOR 600.000THB - THE 2015 MODEL HAVE AN ECO ENGINE USING E85 GAS

2) VERY GOOD RESALE VALUE .GOOD DEALS IN USED ONES. SOME 2006 TO 2012 MODELS HAVE A 7 SPEEDS AUTO TRANSMISION. THAT MODEL WAS CALLED "MODULO"

2) VERY ROOMY FOR ITS SIZE

3) HATCH BACK.... AND WITH AN AMAZING FOLDING SEATS SYSTEM AND HEIGHT INSIDE.

4) VERY GOOD SPORT LOOKING

5) STRONG BODY AND GOOD SUSPENSION

6) DUAL AIR BAGS

7) 4 WHEELS DISC BRAKES

8) REAR SENSORS

OUR JAZZ IS A BASIC AUTOMATIC 2013 MODEL. I WAS FITTING A 0.80 X 1.20 X 0.80 DRYER INSIDE WHEN I TOOK THESE PICTURES....THE ONLY ONE NOT HAPPY WITH THE LOAD WAS OUR GOLDEN RETRIEVER...IT IS HIS FAVORITE SPOT TO TRAVEL AND REST...AND HE HAD TO SQUEZZE AROUND.

attachicon.gifJAZZ1.jpgattachicon.gifJAZZ2.jpg

No need to SHOUT about it. coffee1.gif

Nissan March is too small I couldn't Eden fit my suitcase in the boot. Ideally I'd like to buy a one year old Jazz, does anyone know how much they depreciate by approx. I know some cars hold their value very well in Thailand and my feeling is that if it's only going to be something like 10% cheaper I'd rather buy new.

In England we have Parkersburg guidebook on secondhand car prices but I understand there's nothing similar here as a guide to second hand car prices.

i'm in the same boat as you.. and i have been doing a lot of research.

i usually love hatchbacks.. for for some weird reason.. i don't like the mazda 2 or 3? i think they look really nice.. but there must be something about the design that pushes me away. haven't figured that one out yet.

i'm still fixated on the fiesta sedan.. 1.0 ecoboost.. i will be driving down to the ford showroom 2 sois down to take a look and feel..

i'll know after that if it's the car for me or not... as for service.. i guess it depends on where the nearest ford dealership is to your home and how good their servicing area is maintained.. and also the manager that makes the sale.. see if they seem to really care about after sales service or not..

good luck!

I have had my new Honda Jazz about two months and highly recommend it. Prior to this I had the previous model Jazz for 5 years. I got the top model for B745,000 but you can get the lower priced models starting at B555,000 for a manual transmission. Give them a look before you decide.

post-11958-0-06430500-1438408196_thumb.j

I had read sometime back the Volkswagen were to start producing Golf's and Scirocco's in Thailand. Can't see anything recent that confirms that. But, that would be my first choice if either were to become marketable here.

Nissan March is too small I couldn't Eden fit my suitcase in the boot. Ideally I'd like to buy a one year old Jazz, does anyone know how much they depreciate by approx. I know some cars hold their value very well in Thailand and my feeling is that if it's only going to be something like 10% cheaper I'd rather buy new.

In England we have Parkersburg guidebook on secondhand car prices but I understand there's nothing similar here as a guide to second hand car prices.

Try to get to the next motor show if you can, its in a few days I think. I would always buy there because of the deals. Cars don't depreciate as much as UK so if you buy the brand new Jazz then it should hold its value well

Driving in Thailand I'd go for a spec with side airbags - only the top spec Jazz has them

Edited by fish fingers