Workshop to improve the quality of foreign teachers in Thailand

webfact

I have devoted 5 years of my life trying to improve the education and knowledge of both children, students, teachers and adults as a teacher and a foreigner living in Thailand.

Devoted eh? Impressive.

So, you worked for nothing - right?

Otherwise you spent 5 years earning a living and just happened to be teaching kids rather then digging holes. Quite trying to impress people.

End of.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have devoted 5 years of my life trying to improve the education and knowledge of both children, students, teachers and adults as a teacher and a foreigner living in Thailand.

And what was the outcome.............I hope you had success............

And what was the outcome.............I hope you had success............

One of them who knows the difference of feeling dreamy and sleepy, instead of those who're always annoying loud and drunk wife beaters.....thumbsup.gif

Some thoughts.....thumbsup.gif

555. You guys are a kick. I guess this post is as good as any to reply to..

That's me in the middle with the hangover - not... Math teacher dark red shirt.

Behind me is T Jack -science. Have mentioned him here a couple times. Bitches like some of u guys a lot of the time but a heart of gold. Cured himself of stage 4 prostate cancer. To his left is big Canadian Dave - air canada retiree knows his physics kids love him. Big teddy bear.

Soooo. OMG. Where to start with all these replies. First let me say that after reading all your replies I will think a bit more carefully about my own replies on posts to try and avoid too much cluelessness and presumption. Also I realized that sometimes replies to posts are used only as vehicles to express (spew?) whatever's on ones mind without much regard to the post itself. You have humbled me.... :)

Ok. First some things we might call facts. There were at most 40 - 45 foreign teachers a good portion being Filipino though not sure that's important. There were some local Thai Ts from surrounding schools to take advantage of the seminar. The workshop shrank over time from 3 to 2.5 to 2 days. We come from the 14 international programs that are part of Thai govt schools, an enterprise now in its 6th year. 3 programs couldn't make it. Schools came with their managers and other Thai staff. Hence the number over 100.

The purpose I can't say I'm sure about but since the intent was to have English, Math, and science Ts it seems in line with govt desire to increase English proficiency generally and within math/science - AEC stuff.

Ok. So what actually happened. I've sat thru my share of seminars so at least I understand where some of the negativity is coming from.

MY IMPRESSIONS:

The first day after the welcoming ceremony we met as 2 separate groups - foreigners and Thais. Our first speaker discussed English practice and current trends, specifically CLIL. He was a Thai professor. He knew his stuff. He was realistic about what's going on now and that change will take time. But his understanding of good practice got the rooms attention. He allowed some collaboration time in small groups and report out time that showed people had done some reflection. I learned a couple things too from sharing in my group and thought about how I might add to what I do in math class.

(As an aside - True 2 days isn't going to move a mountain. But Prof D in the U.S. Is just as short sighted. It is very difficult to find, if at all, a comprehensively thought out ongoing sustained program of PD in the U.S. The only arena I know of is where Japanese lesson study is practiced, whether in Japan or elsewhere.

Other western countries I can't say.)

In the afternoon the speakers switched. Now ours was a science Ed professor. He spoke about inquiry. He may have been a bit new to presenting but what he was presenting was again current very good practice. He gave us a task in groups that was interestingly simple that made us think quite a bit and illustrated inquiry.

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of both presenters.

The 2nd day we split by discipline, (notwithstanding the posters who assumed we didn't).

I was math and I havnt spoken to colleGues as yet to get feedback on their sessions.

BTW, I presented the math seminar. Yes, in the wilds of Nong Khai there couldn't possibly be someone who could competently do this. The teachers ranged from beginning to experienced, mainly from M1-3. I did ask participants to evaluate our day on the agendas I gave them. They replied next to each topic presented. There were 14 participants. I received 7 evals back. All 7 good, with explanations of why they thought it was valuable to them.

Be careful out there. Especially if you're throwing stones. Your houses .....

3 days is a bit long to teach Thainess to farang teachers. 3 minutes more like. If the kid doesn't understand, shout louder. If the kid still doesn't understand, get the parents to pay for after class tuition.

I was under the impression that it was Thai teachers who could do with some quality improvement ... and the Thais who shout loudest.

Thailand- Hub of Hubs. Showing us all how its done.

Perhaps its the reporting, but surely the aim of the course should be to improve the teaching skills of ESL/Mathis/Science teachers in Thailand. Not as stated - the quality of the teachers (3 days is not enough for that)

That said, putting them all in one workshop is not likely to benefit individual disciplines.

It seems common for various education agencies to pay lip service to these ill thought out initiatives, I should know I have taught a few of them myself to the Min Of Ed.

It would be great for any participants to feedback what they thought of the course in this forum..

But I question the veracity of this workshop. Who is teaching what? Why are they qualified to do so. There are good organisations in Thailand with the right skills to benefit this group. Although I doubt they are to be found in the Min of Ed or operating as some kind of education grandee in the wilds of Nong Khai.

See my reply.

How about making sure the Foreign Teacher an actally speak clear english in the first place - I met a Scottish guy in Nana Plaza one night - conversation rolls around and I asked him what he did in Thailand........as I could barely understand him myself - he said proudly "I am an English teacher" I asked him how could he teach english to Thai students when 1) he can't speak a lick of Thai - even after being in Thailand for over almost two years 2) How did he expect the Thai students to understand his english when every other word out of his mouth is not an english word I could understand. He only replied "I tend to speak much slower when I am not drinking"

Nuff Said, we had a good time the rest of the night in spite of being like a duck trying to talk to a chicken.giggle.gifgiggle.gif

and....?

You beat me to it - I was wondering where that dribble was coming from, maybe replying to a secret post we are not privy to?? OH - the signature below his post says it all......somthing about snorting a white line.........

I would love to know how they got to hear about this course in the first place.

Yes, as a teacher it is also so much more useful to speak the native lingo despite what companies offering TEFL courses tell prospective students who want to teach in a foreign country, maybe especially true in Thailand where the learning ability, intentions and skills are so low.

However there is also a lot to be said for the kids who do show determination to learn and do so enthusiastically. One may say only the rich kids whose parents send them to extra classes can achieve this, but my missus has learnt, and she ain't from a wealthy or bar girl background either.

Basically , I guess you cannot lead a horse to water and make it drink, I guess.

Teachers from the 14 international programme/English programme schools were asked to attend. They came from all over Thailand

The teachers did not pay to attend.

The article should have mentioned that it was a professional development workshop - for avoidance of doubt there were different workshops for English, maths and science.

As you probably guessed I was there

Look at the photo there was a small group of whitees so they took the shot and the rest in the room were mainly asian teachers in the background cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You are completely wrong - a wide angled photograph would have been better to illustrate who was there

Please!!!!!!!!!! Stop!!!!!!!! I attended this same "workshop" 3 years ago in Nong Khai....what a frickin joke. The techniques for "teacher improvement" were so old school taught by "teachers who thought they knew everything about teaching". It was a complete waste of time (thankfully my school paid for it). It was not the first time this workshop has been offered and I am sure not the last. BUT if they haven't dramatically improved the content including the guest speaker...it was a total joke ( of course what else would you expect from the Education sector or Thailand????....yeah)

You can learn more on google than this workshop will ever be able to offer. It was mostly a horn tooting self pat on the back gathering of speakers kissing ass for some imaginary gain.

Please!!!!!!!!!! Stop!!!!!!!! I attended this same "workshop" 3 years ago in Nong Khai....what a frickin joke. The techniques for "teacher improvement" were so old school taught by "teachers who thought they knew everything about teaching". It was a complete waste of time (thankfully my school paid for it). It was not the first time this workshop has been offered and I am sure not the last. BUT if they haven't dramatically improved the content including the guest speaker...it was a total joke ( of course what else would you expect from the Education sector or Thailand????....yeah)

You can learn more on google than this workshop will ever be able to offer. It was mostly a horn tooting self pat on the back gathering of speakers kissing ass for some imaginary gain.

Sounds about right.

I always thought that the best way to improve the quality of teachers was to make sure the teachers could speak a foreign language. Certainly for the ESL teachers in most cases it would create a bit of understanding what the kids are going through as opposed to having a degree in anything to be able to obtain a WP.

Would be interesting to know how many teachers who teach English in Thailand actually know what it is like to learn a new language.

Foreign language learning is a part of most countries national syllabus, I think everyone knows what it is like to learn a new language regardless of what they actually achieved. The first assignment of my adv.Cert TEFL was to write 2000 words on my last language learning experience.

Edited by Shawn0001

Thai Instructor to foreign teachers:

"Some of you believe that, like in your own countries, it is permissible to fail a student. I am here to tell you that is blatantly wrong!

"Failing a student would cause severe loss of face. Not only to the student, but to their parents as well. This could lead to serious depression, suicide, and a raging temper which could result in mass murder. Therefore, for the sake of our country's health, and all important image, you are never allowed to fail a student. Ok,seminar over."

It's nothing to do with causing the students to lose face, if it were then the humiliating punishments they dish out would be stopped. It's about the school director losing face for having a less than 100% success rate.

I agree with @Inurhead

ESL teachers should be able to fluently speak a second language.

Only those that understand what it is like to

learn a second language can successfully teach it.

I'm sorry, but that's <deleted>.

Not entirely but reaching fluency is unnecessary. The very first thing they said to us on our TEFL course was that we should experience second language learning first hand so that we know what it feels like to be the student.

Students should be taught to ask questions. Problem is it has to start at a very young age and it is not happening. When you have curious children, they learn easily. However curioisity among children is often frowned upon. So what we have here is an intractable problem.

Kid who ask lot of question in class will get hatred from their friend but not always .

And somtimes our teacher also told us to do as they say. Don't think different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if the lecturers had to dance and jump like monkeys, like we are required to do to make the lessons "sanook"?thumbsup.gif

Seminars like this one are good for new arrivals, unfamiliar with local customs and victims of horrible cultural writings as found on the Lonely Planet "books.

Otherwise, waste of time.

You are required to dance and jump like a monkey to make your lessons fun?gigglem.gif

Thai Instructor to foreign teachers:

"Some of you believe that, like in your own countries, it is permissible to fail a student. I am here to tell you that is blatantly wrong!

"Failing a student would cause severe loss of face. Not only to the student, but to their parents as well. This could lead to serious depression, suicide, and a raging temper which could result in mass murder. Therefore, for the sake of our country's health, and all important image, you are never allowed to fail a student. Ok,seminar over."

It's nothing to do with causing the students to lose face, if it were then the humiliating punishments they dish out would be stopped. It's about the school director losing face for having a less than 100% success rate.

Oh Yeah , and without the 100% success rate there are less students willing to attend a school where they may fail, and therefore less money going into the coffers of the directors and their cohorts .