SIM card doomsday - the aftermath...

If you have an AIS (12call) SIM, then change to English language SMS by this command:

*700*5*1#

One can also invoke a menu with just *700# and then work through to menuitem nr. 5., then select no. 1 for English, 2 for Thai.

Same same.

Useful info, thanks.... but when I try it (either way) all I get is a message saying:

"Your request is still being processed. Thank you"

but any further replies are still in Thai..

phone does seem to still work though..

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I bought my sim they asked for ID and I didn't have any, my girlfriend used hers, does this mean it is registered, and to her?

yes and now you cant buy a sim in 7/11 small shops whitout register

I flew into BKK a week or so ago and they were handing out new SIMs as you got off the aircraft.

A friend of mine who is visiting from Vietnam but visits often has a DTAC prepaid sim card, as of this morning it was still working. She has since gone to register based on my advice and has completed that but, as I mentioned, as of this morning it was still working pre-registration.

NBTC to extend registration of prepaid SIM cards till August 31

BANGKOK: -- The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) now allows users of cellular prepaid SIM cards another 30 days to register after the deadline for registration expired yesterday July 31.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/845033-nbtc-to-extend-registration-of-prepaid-sim-cards-till-august-31/?p=9686584

Edited by Kerryd

I had forgotten to register so yesterday I signed up the the ais E-service using the missus's id number (would accept my passport number, needs to be 13 digits)to see if that "registers" my sim.

dialled *151# on the phone this morning and yep, says my sim is registered.

I registered within two days of the announcement so I did not forget. But thought I would double check by using the *151# just in case and YES all OK

In terms of policing, it's never going to be a precise tool, but it's better than having no starting point at all in a sea of 90 million sim cards. At the very least, with very basic filters, they'll be able to narrow down their list of the usual suspects with greater ease.

I have the same mobile phone number for many years, lost my phone recently, reported it to police, and got a new simcard with the same number.

It had to be registered though, otherwise I would have lost my number.

Well it is now almost 12 hours after the cutoff deadline, and I have tested unregistered phones from all 3 networks, and they are all still working as normal.

Voice incoming & outgoing & data are all still working.

I wonder how long it will take for the networks to cut 18 million phones. Chances are they did not write a program to do this automatically, as that would take

them at least a few years. Just look at how long it is taking to write the programs to integrate BTS & MRT ticketing, and the Easy Pass software for Highway 7 to Chon Buri.

Years have passed & they still have no working software.

I would say that cutting off 18 Million phones manually one at a time may take a few years in itself.

Well, dont rely on it will last forever , when I am late paying my internet bill they just cut it off after 5 days , same with electricity. wai.gif

If you have an AIS (12call) SIM, then change to English language SMS by this command:

*700*5*1#

One can also invoke a menu with just *700# and then work through to menuitem nr. 5., then select no. 1 for English, 2 for Thai.

Same same.

Useful info, thanks.... but when I try it (either way) all I get is a message saying:

"Your request is still being processed. Thank you"

but any further replies are still in Thai..

phone does seem to still work though..

This "being processed" message is normal.

Be patient and wait for the the confirmation.

Just retested and done screenshots:

post-99794-0-42388900-1438416911_thumb.j

I can easily switch between English and Thai.

The second message is the "registered" message in Thai,

Why no passport no. is shown will stay a secret (even after calling customer service).

post-99794-0-99489000-1438416947_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

I had forgotten to register so yesterday I signed up the the ais E-service using the missus's id number (would accept my passport number, needs to be 13 digits)to see if that "registers" my sim.

dialled *151# on the phone this morning and yep, says my sim is registered.

I registered within two days of the announcement so I did not forget. But thought I would double check by using the *151# just in case and YES all OK

I found out if you do *151*9# it will return the SMS in English.

BANGKOK: -- The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) now allows users of cellular prepaid SIM cards another 30 days to register after the deadline for registration expired yesterday July 31.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/845033-nbtc-to-extend-registration-of-prepaid-sim-cards-till-august-31/?p=9686584

How many people on this post have'nt read the announcement (quite common on TV I think) and kindly copied from Kerryd that the deadline has been extended another Month

My prediction ... FWIW ... is that nothing will change for those who did not register their SIM cards, and all will continue as usual.

I don't know how many pre-paid SIM cards aren't registered but I'd bet there are millions, and if so the phone companies won't be willing to throw away the billions of baht that'll be lost by cutting them off.

Yes, but most people can't live without their phones these days so the majority will have registered or switched to billed numbers. The others will panic when it stops working and register (if possible) or get a new registered number.

Oh, wow. I only have to guess 4 digits and I can talk to Maestro. Let's see... 104 (10,000) possible, at .75-1.50 baht per call attempt... and assuming he's not the one that answers only with heavy breathing...

Yes, I took that calculated risk when I decided not to pixelate any of the displayed 5 digits, hoping to get a call from you or any other Thaivisa reader.

However, I switch that phone on only when I log on for DTAC e-services or for another reason get their OTP text mesage, which is about once a month. If you are in the vicinity of Bellinzona, Switzerland, where I am staying for the next ten weeks, better send me a PM and we can get together for some wine and salami and cheese on my terrace.

The other DTAC SIM, which I use for calls and such when I am in Thailand, I have misplaced and shall report it lost when I go to Thailand towards the end of the year, then get it replaced by DTAC and have them register it with NBTC. It is still valid until January 2016.

post-21260-14384518846357_thumb.jpg

Oh my... now this thread is not only premature but now totally redundant.

Thanks again Kerryd.

Does anyone know if/how people traveling from other countries to Thailand who are using their "native" phones to roam in Thailand may be affected?

I suspect thousands of foreign diplomats, VIPs, business people, tourists would like/expect to be able use their phones here, and the local providers all have mutual roaming agreements with partners in other countries. Will the NBTC require them to "register" their foreign SIM, so they can use their phones in Thailand?

Does anyone know if/how people traveling from other countries to Thailand who are using their "native" phones to roam in Thailand may be affected?

I suspect thousands of foreign diplomats, VIPs, business people, tourists would like/expect to be able use their phones here, and the local providers all have mutual roaming agreements with partners in other countries. Will the NBTC require them to "register" their foreign SIM, so they can use their phones in Thailand?

No. Foreign SIMS do not need to be registered to work.

Good point and you especially since unregistered SIM cards can be readily purchased in neighbouring countries which will roam in Thailand by default.

But I guess by the letter of the law all those visiting business people are supposed to have work permits too.

But I guess by the letter of the law all those visiting business people are supposed to have work permits too.

Probably better discussed in the Visa sub-forum where there are more knowledgeable people, but tens of thousands of people travel to Thailand for MICE (meetings, incentives, conventions, exhibitions) and do not require work permits; they may want to use their home-country phone/SIM. Tens of thousands of business people might travel here on vacation, but wish to use their home-country phone/SIM. Thousands of diplomats and VIPs travel to Thailand, do/may not require work permits, and they may also want to roam here.

Evidently the government/NBTC recognizes this requirement, and has wisely chosen not to block these unregistered, foreign SIMs.

You know who else is holding out? Drug dealers, underground gambling syndicates, and well... can't really call them terrorists.... but the folks in the south that take 2 years planning to attack the local Goodwill donation box with no injuries to anyone (thankfully). Great company to be keeping. I'm all for personal freedoms but it's like resisting showing your ID to get electric or tapwater service.

So let's say you are one of the fabled Southern terrorists who are stated to be the target of this draconian rule. And you want to use mobile phones to detonate a bomb.

Malaysian SIM cards anyone?

So let's say you are one of the fabled Southern terrorists who are stated to be the target of this draconian rule. And you want to use mobile phones to detonate a bomb.

Malaysian SIM cards anyone?

I was out there last year for the motogp. I purchased a sim. I had to produce my passport.

The requirement to register every SIM has remained in place, as has Martial Law, in the four restive southern provinces uninterrupted since ~ 2005/2006.

I do not know if roaming is allowed in the south?

The remote detonation of bombs seems to be the primary concern, or at least that's the scenario most often presented when justifying the control of SIMs and phones, and while I am no expert, it does seem like the Siam Paragon bombs, and the Koh Samui bomb, were not detonated with cell phones. And almost any timing device - time to register alarm clocks? - or radio (remote control, controller for a children's device) can also be used.

I'm not sure what's to prevent "drug dealers", "underground gambling syndicates" or even "terrorists" from using cell phones to communicate? Registering SIMs merely makes it a bit easier to investigate after a crime has been committed.

All that said, ensuring public safety to 7/11 employees using an Android app (2-Shots, which anyone can download and use), who may or may not check IDs, and passports, seems ludicrous at best. This doesn't even qualify as "Security Theater".

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/thai-police-break-up-alleged-counterfeit-id-card-ring-for-foreigners/110393/

Thailand is awash with stolen/fake passports and IDs.

Edited by bamnutsak